PDA

View Full Version : Apple Introduces iPhone 4S with A5 Chip, 7x Faster Graphics

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Oct 4, 2011, 12:59 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/04/apple-introduces-iphone-4s-with-a5-chip-7x-faster-graphics/)

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/10/iphone_4s_images_black_white.png

Apple officially introduced the iPhone 4S. iPhone 4S. Outside the same, inside all different. A5 chip inside, dual-core graphics up to 7x faster than iPhone 4.

Developing...

Article Link: Apple Introduces iPhone 4S with A5 Chip, 7x Faster Graphics (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/04/apple-introduces-iphone-4s-with-a5-chip-7x-faster-graphics/)

bb426
Oct 4, 2011, 01:01 PM
Yay. It's faster.

Disappointing. Live goes on!

wacky4alanis
Oct 4, 2011, 01:01 PM
15 months for that?

Memo86
Oct 4, 2011, 01:02 PM
Oh... well... :(

ECUpirate44
Oct 4, 2011, 01:02 PM
Same size screen?

tjb1
Oct 4, 2011, 01:03 PM
Let the whining begin :D

hleewell
Oct 4, 2011, 01:04 PM
October 2012 will be a long, painful journey

Schmitty11
Oct 4, 2011, 01:07 PM
And down down down goes the stock

Nisso
Plzplzplz.. Let there be "one more thing" - and iPhone 5 BAM! :s

Have 2 say, a bit disappointed.

Sackvillenb
so it's 4G? Well that's cool.

Just spec bumps though... which is ok... but not mind-blasting... :)

ade2bee
Oct 4, 2011, 01:08 PM
Apple shares drop an incredible 1.5% the second the design announced!!!

Discoverer
Oct 4, 2011, 01:09 PM
2011 was the year of iPad 2. Not iPhone or iPod. The disappointment was expected.

mtbgtr
Oct 4, 2011, 01:10 PM
New release cycle has been set.

3g
3gs
4s
5s
6s

Get used to it.

tjb1
Oct 4, 2011, 01:11 PM
Damn, they better announce something awesome or the stock will be cheaper than a Big Mac

ade2bee
Oct 4, 2011, 01:12 PM
Samsung and HTC skip around the rooms doing high 5's to one another...

dethmaShine
Oct 4, 2011, 01:13 PM
15 months for that?

******** bricks.

MacSince1990
Oct 4, 2011, 01:13 PM
2011 was the year of iPad 2. Not iPhone or iPod. The disappointment was expected.

No one iikes you.

Simplicated
Oct 4, 2011, 01:14 PM

3g
3gs
4s
4S II

Get used to it.

Fixed for you. Apple, take revenge! :D

Schmitty11
We got Lion and ipad 2 this year, Apples been busy, what else you want?

MacSince1990

3g
3gs
4s
5s
6s

Get used to it.

Oh yeah, cause who can argue with 1, 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S :rolleyes:

ade2bee
Oct 4, 2011, 01:16 PM
World media both tech and mainstream picking up on the fact that Apple didn't compare to very latest android phones i.e. the Galaxy SII!

tjb1
Oct 4, 2011, 01:16 PM
Best thing im getting out of today is iOS5 and iCloud haha...and not upgrading just for voice or infinity blade 2. But I see they still use crappy yahoo weather...

Why doesnt he ask Siri how AAPL is doing today? :P

Spong Mincer
Oct 4, 2011, 01:22 PM
Bag o ***** update. Very disappointing.

mtbgtr
Oct 4, 2011, 01:23 PM

3g
3gs
4s
5s
6s

Get used to it.

Only 3 negs so far ? Come on people I expect better than that from this group. I'll be disappointed with no less than 30 negs for this comment! :D

Love the 4SII reply !!

ade2bee
Oct 4, 2011, 01:25 PM
Declan McCullagh (CNET): Apple stock has now fallen 3.42 percent, while the NASDAQ is down only half of a percentage point.

Some commentators saying that the 4S's spec is only catching up with what's been released over the last couple of months let alone what is out in the next qtr...

tjb1
Oct 4, 2011, 01:30 PM
"Mommy, why is there a commercial for an old phone?"

"Because Apple is stupid Tommy...because Apple is stupid..."

Nisso
Oct 4, 2011, 01:33 PM
"mommy, why is there a commercial for an old phone?"

"because apple is stupid tommy...because apple is stupid..."

Yes indeed.!

taybo20
Oct 4, 2011, 01:35 PM
Was hoping for something "huge", but will take this. Gotta get rid of the 3g...

adildacoolset
Oct 4, 2011, 01:36 PM
Okay, so all you haters and whiners,
You don't appreciate the A5 chip which, as proven, mashes up all the competitors' CPUs,
You don't appreciate the new camera, which is as good as the best Android phones,
You don't appreciate the new clever antenna system which makes 4G speeds, without 4G,
You don't appreciate the new awesome Siri voice assistant,
You don't appreciate the extended battery life,
You don't appreciate the fact that it is a world phone.

JUST BECAUSE IT HAS NO NEW CASE! IT STILL LOOKS BEAUTIFUL EVEN TODAY, AND I STILL FIND IT THE BEST DESIGN OF A SMARTPHONE!

taybo20
Oct 4, 2011, 01:38 PM
You don't appreciate the A5 chip which, as proven, mashes up all the competitors' CPUs,
You don't appreciate the new camera, which is as good as the best Android phones,
You don't appreciate the new clever antenna system which makes 4G speeds, without 4G,

JUST BECAUSE IT HAS NO NEW CASE! IT STILL LOOKS BEAUTIFUL EVEN TODAY, AND I STILL FIND IT THE BEST DESIGN OF A SMARTPHONE!

Honestly, I care nothing for Siri. The other stuff is good, but kind of expected in the very least...no?

nervouk
Oct 4, 2011, 01:39 PM
Bit relieved it wasn't that yucky teardrop thing as I love the iPhone 4 design, but I wouldn't have minded something different about the 4S... slightly thinner, or larger screen perhaps.

tjb1
Oct 4, 2011, 01:42 PM

New processor is to be expected, each year technology improves...

Camera is good to begin with, they need to make the cover for the lens/eye/whatever better because it is the only thing scratched on my phone.

The speeds are only as fast as the network.

Ive had dumb phones with voice assistant and never ever tried or wanted to use it.

Battery improvement should happen anyway.

World phone...who cares, someone on Verizon currently probably isnt too worried about it and neither is someone on AT&T. That is more for Apple, they now have 1 phone that works with every carrier.

killahwhale
Oct 4, 2011, 01:42 PM
I am finally going to get a smartphone as my dumb phone just ran out of contract.. I was really anticipating this. I have a macbook pro, and an iPod.. but this phone is just flat out disappointing. I have been looking at an HTC or the Bionic, I guess I'm going with either one of those. Really let down by this, as I've wanted an iPhone since the 4 was announced, but since then android has really caught up. I think the market is about to sway, not in apples direction.

madrag
Oct 4, 2011, 01:51 PM
iPhone 4s = antenna solved, that's all. Very smooth.

RappleRapple
Oct 4, 2011, 01:52 PM
I am finally going to get a smartphone as my dumb phone just ran out of contract.. I was really anticipating this. I have a macbook pro, and an iPod.. but this phone is just flat out disappointing. I have been looking at an HTC or the Bionic, I guess I'm going with either one of those. Really let down by this, as I've wanted an iPhone since the 4 was announced, but since then android has really caught up. I think the market is about to sway, not in apples direction.

You've never handled a "smart phone" but you do have the ability to analyze and compare them?

Damn, they better announce something awesome or the stock will be cheaper than a Big Mac

Then you'd have the opportunity to buy a few shares.

What a dopey comment.

urbanj
Oct 4, 2011, 01:53 PM
I'm happy with this release. Makes my iPhone 4 and iPad 2 with iOS 5 live on for that much longer. I never find my phone sluggish and the iPad 2 is blazing fast. I personally don't have the need to upgrade :)

jmgregory1
What the hell did people expect? I've noted that Apple has, with their iMac and Mac Pro's - and frankly the MBP and MBA, maintained the look of these pieces for more than one model year because - they are all great designs.

This talk of a tear drop design just doesn't make any sense and it doesn't make a better phone. Bigger screen - why? Get an iPad if you want a bigger screen.

Apple is changing the way we interact and use our phones and people aren't getting it. It's not a whole lot different than when Apple pulled the floppy drive from their desktops - or now dropping the optical drive from the MBA.

I didn't expect, nor want a new different iPhone case - I love the design, the look, the feel, the fact that I've climbed mountains with my iP4 with no issues of broken glass and the only complaint I've had has been bt connection issues - which was resolved after getting a replacement phone.

I for one, think the new personal assistant is incredible and will make me that much more productive while driving - maybe game playing college students won't see the benefit, but I do.

ghostlyorb
Declan McCullagh (CNET): Apple stock has now fallen 3.42 percent, while the NASDAQ is down only half of a percentage point.

Some commentators saying that the 4S's spec is only catching up with what's been released over the last couple of months let alone what is out in the next qtr...

Apple is now actually behind. So it has what, a 800MHz Dual-core? big whoop. I might just wait for the next release. My infuse isn't bothering me. I'll just get the new iPod touch.. which is now SUPER underpowered.

nervouk
Oct 4, 2011, 01:55 PM
If it was just a spec-bump (albeit a nice one) then I'm wondering why they needed to wait a few extra months past the usual yearly iPhone update cycle to launch it. Was it the A5 chip? Steve? Siri? Apple needing to break the pressure of the cycle?

No-one would've been surprised by a 4S in July, but waiting till October must've created a lot more expectation.

adildacoolset
Oct 4, 2011, 01:57 PM
Person 1: Oh crap, I'm getting an Android phone. The 4S sucks
Person 2: Why, so you don't like the new stuff it has?
Person 1: No, I like those features but the fact is that I wanted a phone half an inch bigger and a millimetre thinner.

milo
Oct 4, 2011, 02:00 PM
Why doesnt he ask Siri how AAPL is doing today? :P

Actually if you read the liveblogs, that was one of the examples they did.

As of this post, AAPL is down 2%. For comparison, Nokia and Amazon are both down more, and all of the indices are down varying amounts.

People seem to forget that when Apple makes an announcement the stock ALWAYS goes down a bit. Regardless of whether the people on this board think it's good news or bad news (who am I kidding, people here ALWAYS think it's bad news). People always point to the stock price in the first couple hours following an announcement as "evidence" but historically that has been one of the absolute worst indicators of whether an Apple product will do well or not.

I wish they would have updated the case to match all the new hardware inside. But I doubt that's a factor for most people, what will sell more phones are the new OS features. And probably more than that, availability on more carriers plus more low price options - for people on the high end, it really is hard to beat iPhone especially with the apps available. But where the real battle for market share is, is with cheaper phones and hopefully the 3GS and 4 options will make a difference.

cdarlington1
Oct 4, 2011, 02:01 PM

and then we'll see apple sell millions upon millions of these things, stock's will rise...and then a new iPhone will come out and this will all start again...oh yeah, forgot...i'll be getting a new phone too!

tjb1
Oct 4, 2011, 02:06 PM
Actually if you read the liveblogs, that was one of the examples they did.

As of this post, AAPL is down 2%. For comparison, Nokia and Amazon are both down more, and all of the indices are down varying amounts.

People seem to forget that when Apple makes an announcement the stock ALWAYS goes down a bit. Regardless of whether the people on this board think it's good news or bad news (who am I kidding, people here ALWAYS think it's bad news).

I wish they would have updated the case to match all the new hardware inside. But I doubt that's a factor for most people, what will sell more phones are the new OS features. And probably more than that, availability on more carriers plus more low price options - for people on the high end, it really is hard to beat iPhone especially with the apps available. But where the real battle for market share is, is with cheaper phones and hopefully the 3GS and 4 options will make a difference.

2% eh?

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii128/Limited660/ScreenShot2011-10-04at30210PM.png

and were now past 5%

dethmaShine
Oct 4, 2011, 02:08 PM
Guys, I just heard something from some of the guys I know at apple. Those people claim that iPhone5 had delays due to high resolution displays.
They say that the new iPhone is due next June and will also use Apple's new A6 and 1GB of RAM. The next iPhone will have a 4inch screen with a tapered design weighing less than a 100g.

Yes, you heard it first here. :D

KALLT
Oct 4, 2011, 02:10 PM
New processor is to be expected, each year technology improves...

Camera is good to begin with, they need to make the cover for the lens/eye/whatever better because it is the only thing scratched on my phone.

The speeds are only as fast as the network.

Ive had dumb phones with voice assistant and never ever tried or wanted to use it.

Battery improvement should happen anyway.

World phone...who cares, someone on Verizon currently probably isnt too worried about it and neither is someone on AT&T. That is more for Apple, they now have 1 phone that works with every carrier.

I actually wonder what some of you have expected. What kind of hardware-specific features are you missing? What should the iPhone 4S have that it currently does not? I cannot come up with something, only some slight improvements, which Apple did.

Not that long ago, Jobs mentioned that he saw the iPhone 4 as the most perfect piece of engineering and the best consumer product Apple has ever come up with. Overall, I think Apple is satisfied with the iPhone and only added some minor new features to the iPhone 4S to make it even better, such as improving the camera and the speed, but also the unification of carrier support.

From a certain point, the disappointment is understandable. Apple spoilt us by bringing new iPhones with distinctive new hardware features each year, that it is disappointing to see that there is almost nothing new this time. I think it is a good sign however, the iPhone is reaching perfection.

blairwillis
Oct 4, 2011, 02:12 PM
The store page for the iPhone indicates:

"SPRINT COMING SOON"

radge
Oct 4, 2011, 02:13 PM
So happy I bought my iPhone 4 on Verizon the day it came out. I was a bit worried about the tech refresh that would come a few months later, but now I'm right where I want to be.

dlewis23

3g
3gs
4s
5s
6s

Get used to it.

Actually. There probably won't be an iPhone 5 the next time around. It would probably be the iPhone 4g for the next one then iPhone 5.

technicsdj
Apple's stock is down $18.00 HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lozpop
Oct 4, 2011, 02:14 PM
Do you think the iPhone 5 could be announced before October 2012? Maybe July?

nanotlj
Any possibility that apple will sell iphone 4s contract free on oct 14?

dadoftwogirls
What's the point to getting a 32GB or 64GB now that there is no hard wire syncing plus free iCloud. Can't you essentially just swap things out on the fly?

kenypowa
No NFC?
VGA front facing camera?

what a big piece of fail. :D

EricNau
Well, I know what I'm doing with my $199... buying a Kindle Fire. :D

Seriously, I was hoping for more. I'm ready to upgrade my 3GS, but now I'm not sure with what...

macridah
gonna keep my iPhone 4 and wait ...

but on a good note, I'm gonna buy a new iPod nano for running.

macuser201
Oct 4, 2011, 02:15 PM
Anyone notice that www.apple.com and www.apple.ca are both giving messy "Access Denied" pages?

AAPLDroid
60% more pixels!!!

bbydon
People are bitching because it doesn't have a new design?
And most likely they will put it in a case anyway.

musiciscool
buying stock is dangerous when your fellow 'investors' act like a group of spoiled toddlers with ADD.....
doesn't matter if the phone rocks, or if people will buy it, the company makes more money than the competition etc; because its not a newer flashier, 'fill the void in your empty soul' kind of product, its 'sell baby, sell'..... lame, this is why our economy is tanked, they did the same thing with houses, and everything else whose true value was ignored over superfluous superficiality!

Spooner83
Where's the ****ing Facebook iPad app that was suppose to release today!?

scott911
Oct 4, 2011, 02:16 PM
so dull...

it's a phone, it's better than the previous one - but I was really expecting something "magical" after such a long development cycle.

- this ain't that

milo
2% eh?

What part of "as of this post" didn't you understand? It's going to go up and down all day, and I have yet to see it further down than the other stocks I mentioned - it's a down day for the markets in general.

Maybe this will flop, maybe it will be another big hit. I'm just saying that looking at the stock price and saying "SEE!?" is worthless. Because by that measure, all the previous iPods, iPhones, and iPads were all "hated" by stock traders.

Star fox
You don't appreciate the extended battery life
Actually, the battery life has not been increased at all (only 1 hour more for "3G talk time"). Considering that they've kept the same thickness, that's a shame.

gusnyc
Oct 4, 2011, 02:17 PM
Can anybody log in into their website? Apple.com is denying service.

Beatbeckham
One question. What is happening to all the thousands of "iPhone 5" cases? :confused:

ipoddin
So in other words, with the 4s, Apple is just playing catch up to Android.

Soliber
Someone here said that HTC and Samsung are high 5'ing right now.
When they, or anybody else, can come up with something like Siri, *then* they can high 5.
I've seen voice recognition around since as long as I can remember and it never amounted to anything. Apple and Siri showed the rest how it should be, and what they showed was impressive enough.
Apple will be laughing straight to the bank with this new edition, as per usual.

RoboCop001
You can either have a 4S now and an AWESOME MINDBLOWING iPhone5/6 next year, OR you can have two marginally better updates.

Don't you guys see? By not wasting a redesign on the 4S/5 they're pooling all their R & D and time into a truly awesome new design for the iPhone 5!

It's gotta be true :D

Besides... there's now an established pattern (except for iPhone 1). 3G - 3GS, 4 - 4S, my money is on 5 - 5S.

Spock? Is my logic sound?

ghsNick
What a joke.

KPOM
And down down down goes the stock

And I'm not sure I understand why. Apple did their best to temper expectations with the controlled leaks over the past week (the beta with the photos, the WSJ article about the deal with Sprint). Even the tech crowd largely had settled on the 4S by the time Saturday came around.

This is an incremental update, but so was the 3GS, and for that matter, so was the 3G compared to the original iPhone. The big deal with the 3G was the App Store, and the big deal with the 4GS is Siri (along with iCloud). It's the software that's king.

The "teardrop" prototype is probably next year's model, once LTE is more widespread. Meanwhile, the current version keeps pace with Android until a more substantial hardware update is ready.

Tailpike1153

SELL! SELL! Let me buy more stock! :D

citi
No-one would've been surprised by a 4S in July, but waiting till October must've created a lot more expectation.

This^^^^^

acidfast7
Does anyone know the unsubsidized cost? Who gets a contract anyway?

Will the 3GS be 99€? Pretty please?

mrzeve
Oct 4, 2011, 02:18 PM
iPhone 4S works on these bands:

UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz);
GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

Does anyone know if these would work on T-Mobiles 3G/4G network? (Assuming the iPhone dev team comes out with an unlock or Apple sells an unlocked version)

gugy
buying one ASAP.
SOLID UPGRADE!

Re-designed iPhone was just a pipe dream based on a bunch of baseless rumors.
Apple will probably update their design every two generations.

LeeRod
No disappointment here, I'm still using a 3gs. I really liked the design of the iPhone 4, with the upgrades to the insides I'll be more than happy with this phone.:)

New Account
Congratulations MacRumors, you just made the national news in Denmark.

cfedu
Next year I'l buy the 4gs, until then my iPhone 4 will be good enough!

stadlin
Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://www.apple.com/" on this server.
Reference #18.bc21655f.1317755833.3c33f22b

nagromme

Stock always rises on the rumor, falls on the news. Daily stock twitches indicate very little.

“Catching up”?

The 4 already had a better camera, battery life, and performance.

All of which are now improved even further.

And it still has the retina display, without the problems of OLED.

And now it has 4G speed without 4G battery drain and 4G limited coverage!

An awesome phone just got better. And the shape stayed the same, just as happened with the 3G. No great surprise, and buyers don’t care: that’s why the 4 and the 3G were the two best-selling smartphones even before this new release.

bilbo--baggins
Honestly, I care nothing for Siri. The other stuff is good, but kind of expected in the very least...no?

I remember trying the voice dial on the iPhone originally and the shock that it was ringing the wrong person at an inappropriate time and realising my iPhone was hidden away in my pocket.

I won't be rushing to try Siri - I just don't trust that stuff. Bad enough I keep hearing the voice command activating when I tie my shoelaces when my iPhone 4 is in my jeans pocket...

DreamscapeRuins
I'm actually kind of happy the design didn't change to much. I really really didn't like that oblonge oval type home button. The only thing I'd change about the actual design is just to make it slightly thinner, but really. I'm okay with it.

I may upgrade, because I've been wanting a white iPhone for ages. Perfect opportunity to get rid of my black iPhone 4.

gusnyc
Oct 4, 2011, 02:19 PM
Actually, the battery life has not been increased at all (only 1 hour more for "3G talk time"). Considering that they've kept the same thickness, that's a shame.

How can you write something like that? It is like saying "it doesn't come in black and white (only comes in black and white).".

You don't make sense. "At all" means "nothing", maybe you wanted to say they slightly increased the battery?

rans0m00
Well thats a let down but need another iphone so guess this is as good as its going to get for the next year. Ill be pre ordering :(

xMClass
The spec-bump is cool and all but I think people (myself included) expected so much more since the wait was so long. Probably keeping my iPhone 4 another year.

Intarweb
Just like the 3g to 3gs, not enough for iPhone4 users to upgrade but more than enough for 3g or 3gs users to.

spazzcat
I kind of suprised that develoeprs are not getting iOS5 today.

dbwie
As a 3Gs owner with a 27 month wait, this is a big update for me. I'm excited about it! If I were an iPhone 4 user, I would probably be a little disappointed and wait another year.

mcmlxix
Is iCloud for SL or Lion only?

nexsta
this was the lamest iPhone event in history, the iPhone 4S is a joke.
Siri is just useful when you are driving a car, just kiddies are exited about the 7x faster graphics, 95% don't give a *** about the graphics, and more pixels for the camera!! hahaha I still can't believe how lame the upgrade is. I think apple never disappointed the people that hard... and the best quote of the event is from Tim in the end "pretty incredible!" haha like a comedian! everything just feels like a joke...

ade2bee
Oct 4, 2011, 02:20 PM
ScottStein CNET:*
"Well...that's it. Hmm. This wouldn't have felt as disappointing if the iPhone event were back in June.

I think this wait of a few extra months is really what's created this build-up...a Willy Wonka level of expectations."

I agree totally :-(

Stratus Fear
Oct 4, 2011, 02:20 PM
iPhone 4S works on these bands:

UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz);
GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

Does anyone know if these would work on T-Mobiles 3G/4G network? (Assuming the iPhone dev team comes out with an unlock or Apple sells an unlocked version)

It will not work on T-Mobile's 3G network.

soxmandan
Oct 4, 2011, 02:21 PM
I love the A5 chip and everything else, but no LTE or real 4G? That might be the only thing I'm slightly disappointed about. I think I'll just hold on to my 4, still works like a charm :)

KindredMAC
So it seems to me that the only reason the iPhone update took so long is mostly to incorporate Siri into the system foundation. That would take a lot of programming man hours even though Siri's app already had a good chunk accomplished before hand.

I'm ok with this update as long as they do not bring out an Iphone 5 next June.
;)
THEN there will be hell to pay...

Newton70
People seem to forget that when Apple makes an announcement the stock ALWAYS goes down a bit. Regardless of whether the people on this board think it's good news or bad news (who am I kidding, people here ALWAYS think it's bad news). People always point to the stock price in the first couple hours following an announcement as "evidence" but historically that has been one of the absolute worst indicators of whether an Apple product will do well or not.

Except that the price usually goes up leading to the event. In this case, AAPL is down some $65 in the last couple weeks.

Shrink
Oct 4, 2011, 02:22 PM
It seems that everyone wants to know in advance what is coming before the announcement.

Then, when it turns out that they DID know (almost) everything before the announcement - they get incredibly pissed off.

Does this make sense???!!! :eek:

musiciscool
iphone 4s is only lame if you still cannot record stereo audio.....

stellardream
Haha, funneh. But this actually makes me happy they didn't release 5 this year, because I was stupid enough to buy HTC Thundercrap just 6 months ago and I won't be able to replace it for another 6 months w/o paying full price. So, next year I'll get iPhone 5 when it comes out XD RAWR!

citi
gonna keep my iPhone 4 and wait ...

but on a good note, I'm gonna buy a new iPod nano for running.

me too!

tigres
Oct 4, 2011, 02:23 PM
Where's the ****ing Facebook iPad app that was suppose to release today!?

Obviously we know how that went now. :D

designaholic
Thing is, Apple have blown people away so much in the past, people's expectations are just way to high. Coupled with the over-zealous rumour mill merchants who just set-up the disappointment *every* time.

I'm really not that bothered, still happy with my iPhone 4 - not once have I ever thought "I hate this phone and wish I had a different one". Will definitely upgrade for the speed boost + Siri.

As to their stock, it will remain strong, especially when they *ahem* launch the iPad 3 next year. Just look at the numbers and use your head.

MacTheSpoon
15 months for that?

Yeah, weird. They must have had some problems with integrating the A5 chip or something, that's all I can think of.

Very underwhelming. Damn. Especially after the silver prototype being leaked all over the place.

This is the first time I can think of that an Apple phone has not set a new standard for the industry. Siri seems pretty much the same as voice search on Android, as nice as natural language is and all, and I doubt it's going to set people's hearts on fire like the retina display did. And the 4s isn't setting new standards for phone thinness, either. Or even weight. And certainly not network speed.

They're even sticking doggedly to the glass back and external, groundable antenna.

Well, Nexus Prime...you're up next.

Sam Yikin
Honestly, people, look beyond the name (4S vs 5). This is a huge upgrade.

Much better camera, 7x faster graphics, 2x faster CPU, much improved antenna designed, better battery life, world phone, Sprint, Siri, AirPlay mirroring.

I would've liked a new design too (especially the bigger screen) but I won't let that stop me from seeing that this is actually quite a substantial update.

4x4bob
Why didn't they just stencil in an "S" on their iPhone 4 inventory.

Kinda like when these guys revolutionized the music industry.

http://youtu.be/F7IZZXQ89Oc

Disappointed, I didn't care for the 4 design.

mbh

Remember not so long ago when AAPL hit 420 and everyone was moaning about how they wish they had gotten in when it was lower? Well, now it's lower.

But who wants to buy a stock when it's down? Best wait until it hits a new all-time high. ;)

PeterQVenkman
Oct 4, 2011, 02:24 PM
Honestly, people, look beyond the name (4S vs 5). This is a huge upgrade.

Much better camera, 7x faster graphics, 2x faster CPU, much improved antenna designed, better battery life, world phone, Sprint, Siri, AirPlay mirroring.

I would've liked a new design too (especially the bigger screen) but I won't let that stop me from seeing that this is actually quite a substantial update.

Same for me.

Now If I can just get it without a wallet raping data plan on a non AT&T carrier (sucks in my area), I'll buy it day one.

Drewswa77
Oct 4, 2011, 02:25 PM
Person 1: Oh crap, I'm getting an Android phone. The 4S sucks
Person 2: Why, so you don't like the new stuff it has?
Person 1: No, I like those features but the fact is that I wanted a phone half an inch bigger and a millimetre thinner.

Well put. I think a lot of iphone users on here just want to win screen size pissin* matches with the android using friends. This is a nice upgrade. I don't know why they just didn't call it an iPhone 5 to avoid the panic.

Goratrix
Oct 4, 2011, 02:25 PM
The iPhone 4S will debut in an additional 22 countries by the end of October. Those countries include: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland

So, does Siri work just as well as in English in German, Czech, Danish, Estonian, Finnish, Hungarian, Italian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Spanish, Dutch, Norwegian, Slovakian, Slovenian, Swedish and whatever other languages are spoken in those countries?

ArchaicRevival
Oct 4, 2011, 02:26 PM
Wait, so is there free voice commanded turn by turn navigation? Can you get that with the iPhone yet?

milo
Oct 4, 2011, 02:27 PM
And now it has 4G speed...

I agree with your post except for this part.

citi
It's a good evolutionary update. The only thing I really wanted was the ability to talk and surf at the same time. Until then, I won't be upgrading my Verizon iPhone. Guess next year then.

skiphunt
Looks nice but I was hoping for bigger screen and faster. Looks like I'll be saving my money and sticking with the iPhone 4 for now. Disappointed, but glad I don't have to go wait in line for an iPhone 5 now. :p

Kaibelf

No, not for a single person who doesn't troll these sites. Normal people don't follow this, and they will, by the millions, buy the 4S. The same idiots who said the 3GS was a huge mistake are probably still applying Preparation H right now, and the 4S whiners will buy their tubes. Then they will complain about how stupid "sheeple" inexplicably buy well-designed mature products at a good price instead of cutting edge junk that breaks in 2 months.

Star fox
One question. What is happening to all the thousands of "iPhone 5" cases? :confused:
That makes me wonder too. What is this mysterious device ?

I can't see Apple using it to find leaks, that'd be stupid.

richard4339
Oct 4, 2011, 02:28 PM
Does anyone know the unsubsidized cost? Who gets a contract anyway?

Will the 3GS be 99€? Pretty please?

Apple store is back up. iPhone 4S is $649/$749/$849 unsubsidized, iPhone 4 is $549 through VZW. Can't see the 3GS as its AT&T only.

whawhat
It's all about China people! That's where their future growth lies and they only officially got the iPhone 4 a few months ago. This actually makes sense for Apple. Can you imagine the demand for the 5 next year.

SirChadwick
At least my iPhone 4 won't look old since there isn't going to be an iPhone 5 today.

Always look on the bright side of life.

nagromme

And clearly, if they’re saying (pretending?) they’ll get one of those HTCs with the terrible battery life and worse antennas, then they also don’t appreciate all the OTHER benefits that the iPhone 4 always had over everything else (highest quality apps, automatic FULL backups, you name it) nor the new benefits of iOS 5.

In effect, they’ve found a genie lamp in an antique store and said: "I wanted 4 wishes! This genie only offers me 3! Keep it; for the same price, I’ll just take that doll with the arm missing!”

ade2bee
Oct 4, 2011, 02:29 PM
Stock always rises on the rumor, falls on the news. Daily stock twitches indicate very little.

“Catching up”?

The 4 already had a better camera, battery life, and performance.

All of which are now improved even further.

And it still has the retina display, without the problems of OLED.

And now it has 4G speed without 4G battery drain and 4G limited coverage!

An awesome phone just got better. And the shape stayed the same, just as happened with the 3G. No great surprise, and buyers don’t care: that’s why the 4 and the 3G were the two best-selling smartphones even before this new release.

Usually I's agree with you, but like it or not the colours on the pie chart were changing compares to 18 months ago and as Scott Stein CNET just wrote:*
"Well...that's it. Hmm. This wouldn't have felt as disappointing if the iPhone event were back in June.
I think this wait of a few extra months is really what's created this build-up..."

In the end, yes the 4 has massive sales. But with the Nexus Prime and Samsung phones already out or nearly here then Apple can't mock anymore.

I myself love Apple iOS, but the design was the first from Apple that I heard Apple Fans have mixed feelings about. Plus, this phone, regardless to what people say is made of glass and does shatter/break easier than any phone on the market as more than a couple of my friends have discovered. Plus you have the antenna issues that hampered the 4, yes i know they've fixed it and the specs are up, but the public will see the iPhone 4, 'the design they read bad things about in the paper'.

Jimbo1234
What the iPhone 4 should have been.

No wonder Steve decided to bow out.

laravia18
Honestly, I am seriously disappointed in the update based on how long it took. However, I am glad that the iPhone finally has 64gb. Plus it is a world phone.

This allows me to stay on Sprint and use my phone wherever I want when I update in December. :D

It will be my first iPhone. I am selling my touch in November.

milo
I kind of suprised that develoeprs are not getting iOS5 today.

They've had the beta for months, the final should be any day now assuming it's not the version they have already.

Is iCloud for SL or Lion only?

Good question, there have been rumors about that for a while. Did apple clarify either way today?

Except that the price usually goes up leading to the event. In this case, AAPL is down some $65 in the last couple weeks.

Have you missed that the broader markets are down at least as much? Maybe it's not big enough news to make it on your radar, but there has been increasing worry that we may be headed into a second recession.

1080p
I have owned every iPhone that has come out. Every now and then I dabble in Android to check it out... see how it's going in that world... but I always come back to iPhone.

1 reason is size. I always tell people... especially with phones like Galaxy S II with 4.3 inch screens... "Man this thing is big. Kind of uncomfortable to hold. This build quality feels cheep too."

iPhone has always felt sturdy, high quality build and the PERFECT size.

Now it's coming with the features I've wanted from Android devices. 1080p camera, dual core, dictation, voice feaures. But... like in Apple elegance and style, we get the features with a super fine polish to them!

1080p video with image stabilization and better sensors. Faster camera. I have kids... it is important to be able to quickly whip out the camera and take a shot while they are doing something cute.

A voice assistant that I don't have to speak like a robot to get it to understand me and it knows what I want it to do.

And really... what is your problem??? The iPhone 4's design is still LEAPS and BOUNDS over many of the competitors. The freakin thing is made of glass! Who else does THAT?!?

Thank you Apple! I'll be sending you $399 soon for my 64GB. :apple:

KTF
Oct 4, 2011, 02:30 PM
They Change Everything Again!

vivescaramouche
Oct 4, 2011, 02:30 PM
Well quite a few people not happy with a faster phone, better graphics, hugely improved camera, faster download speeds, better battery life not to mention the quite superb software coming onboard. And the fact that you can talk to your phone...just wish you could prefix any Siri request with 'Computer...'

Oh and a 64GB model and decent pricing. That Card app looks nice. hmm wonder if you can ask your phone to remember birthdays then order a card?
:apple:

alent1234
Oct 4, 2011, 02:31 PM
buying this just for the camera, 8mp camera on android is horrific

yrsued
Oct 4, 2011, 02:31 PM
And you know why they don't Appreciate it??

Because these are the same people that have been TOTALLY SURE and Betting their Houses on a IPHONE 5 and a total redesign that was never a fact, only a rumor!! These are the same people that have been rude and condescending to the rest of us when we didn't think there was a Redesign coming and that there was NO IPhone 5.

Now, Who's looking foolish??

Let the Temper Tantrums begin...

bushido
Oct 4, 2011, 02:32 PM
what happened to the Sprint rumor btw i thought it was a sure thing

Icaras
buying one ASAP.
SOLID UPGRADE!

Re-designed iPhone was just a pipe dream based on a bunch of baseless rumors.
Apple will probably update their design every two generations.

I absolutely concur. Glad to see some people here are still within reason.

sbrhwkp3
As long as Apple doesn't go to a larger screen, they aren't getting my cash.

The engineering bumps are impressive, but the jailbreak on my phone gives me more than enough to tide me over to the next phone.

Better luck next time, Apple.

acidfast7
Oct 4, 2011, 02:33 PM
Apple store is back up. iPhone 4S is $649/$749/$849 unsubsidized, iPhone 4 is $549 through VZW. Can't see the 3GS as its AT&T only.

369€ for the 3GS here :mad:

1080p
Oct 4, 2011, 02:34 PM
What the iPhone 4 should have been.

No wonder Steve decided to bow out.

Riiiiiight. It wasn't his health concerns or anything like that. He left because a company that he was in CONTROL OF because they weren't releasing a new iPhone with a radical new exterior design.. :rolleyes:

hardcoreapple
15 months for that?

really wait for this long enough yet d iPhone 4s is total disaster, as inner beauty is perfect made yet d outside design is so yesterday (stone age) with 3.5 inch screen is outdated even they (apple) think no one can compete as i was having ipad2 when my friends was iPhone 4 compare is d screen just too small for gaming n viewing still they having full hd recording just useless as u can't see clear details n for edit photo well i won't ask my friends to upgrade just wasting money , all our hope was thinner ,larger screen , resolution are not there , my opinion i think they make big mistake wish steve jobs were here to make things better for d aging iPhone 4 concept plssss save d iPhone

JesseW6889
found this on the zagg case website...

"The first rumor – iPhone 4S or iPhone 5?

Our prediction: we can’t decide.
The team is split right down the middle on this one. Half of our team believes there will be just an iPhone 5 released, and half the team believes there will be an iPhone 4S and an iPhone 5 released. No one thinks there will be nothing but an iPhone 4S ..."

HA!

Nice move Apple!

afd
I like it, if my contract wasn't up 'till next june I'd get one. Don't know why everyone is moaning, all of the iPhone upgrades have been incremental. Apart from the fist one obviously, it was a huge upgrade for anyone that got one.

Taipan
So, now all of you who absolutely promised that there will be redesign get in line and wash out your mouths with soap.

macnerd93
This is really just like when the 3GS Came out back in 2009, it didn't appeal greatly to current 3G users of the time, but it did appeal more to users of the original iPhone. This upgrade is essentially aimed at people who never bought the "4" and kept the 3G or 3GS. In which case this is a fairly substantial upgrade for users of them iPhones.

LOL I still use my 16 gig iPhone 3G in white LOL, extremely slow, but bought a 32 gig iPad last year and have used that for the majority of things, just now my 3G's battery is diminishing tis time for an upgrade.:D

PerplexShyt
Oct 4, 2011, 02:35 PM
im still waiting on the part where they say "Hey its all a joke, here is the iPhone 5! Gotcha!"

Pikepride2000
Oct 4, 2011, 02:35 PM
So, they announced that the new update to the nano offers Nike+ compatibility for tracking walks and runs no longer requires a dongle that was part of an accessory kit sold separately. The updated nano is now capable of tracking distance traveled, pace, time and more out of the box.
However, I really wish they would have made the same compatibility features part of the new iPhone 4S.
:(

3goldens
Oct 4, 2011, 02:36 PM
So with no upgrade for my verizon account available, until 2012 this is kind of sucks.

verizon is not about to allow early upgrades so I guess I won't be getting one of these with them.

I do have aan upgrade with ATT but I really didn't want my secondary back up line to have the newest model.

Since they are not interchangeable, I guess I am stuck unless I use the att upgrade and then transfer 4S over to Verizon and then put the original phone 4 back on ATT. That may work but it may not.

Either way sucks that they did this in kind of a mid contract period for all the new verizon transfree's!

AppleInLVX
Oct 4, 2011, 02:37 PM
Buying one for sure. I am not at all disappointed.

But it does make you wonder, 'coz something's not right. Apple's the biggest tech company in the world, with gobs of money and resources. They overshot their release cycle, and they have exactly ONE phone that they toss all their efforts into. It does seem a little lacking given the resources.

I'm wondering if the the whole Steve thing hit the company in the gut harder than it looks from the outside.

ninethirty
Oct 4, 2011, 02:37 PM
No... please, don't! Those fine folks at Apple have kids to put through school.. to feed. If you won't buy it, who will?

Oh that's right.. millions of people.

Better luck next time.

The engineering bumps are impressive, but the jailbreak on my phone gives me more than enough to tide me over to the next phone.

ethana
Oct 4, 2011, 02:38 PM
15 months for that?

really wait for this long enough yet d iPhone 4s is total disaster, as inner beauty is perfect made yet d outside design is so yesterday (stone age) with 3.5 inch screen is outdated even they (apple) think no one can compete as i was having ipad2 when my friends was iPhone 4 compare is d screen just too small for gaming n viewing still they having full hd recording just useless as u can't see clear details n for edit photo well i won't ask my friends to upgrade just wasting money , all our hope was thinner ,larger screen , resolution are not there , my opinion i think they make big mistake wish steve jobs were here to make things better for d aging iPhone 4 concept plssss save d iPhone

Please go back to school. Your grammar is horrible. I can't understand a word you just wrote.

stadlin
Oct 4, 2011, 02:38 PM
www.apple.com is down and nobody seems to care?! :confused:

andrewlgm
Oct 4, 2011, 02:39 PM
Most will likely not agree but this is not such an "amazing" improvement after almost 2 years. Where's the removable memory? Will this never make it to an iOS product? Seriously? I'm on my 4th iPhone and it may be my last.

inlvnv
4 lines eligible for upgrade, but will skip this round. Was hoping for more.

dvoros
What was Apple thinking? They could have issued all this in a press release. Its just a refurbished iPhone 4. Still a 3.5 NANO-SIZED SCREEN. I firmly believe Steve stepped down so as not to be on-stage and embarrassed by this event. No wonder it was held on the Apple Campus. A larger event with more people sitting in stunned silence at this sham would have really shook up the technology world. How awlful. I waited forever for a new iPhone not the same design!:eek:

VenusianSky
Oct 4, 2011, 02:40 PM
I wonder if they made any phyical changes to the proximity sensor. My iPhone 4 had proximity sensor issues when I got it. The screen would come on every time I was on a call. Apple released an update that improved it greatly, but the screen still turns on occasionally.

nanotlj
Oct 4, 2011, 02:40 PM
Where did you get from the 4s contract free prices? Nothing on apple website yet!

Baadshah
Oct 4, 2011, 02:41 PM
just one word DISAPPOINTED!:mad:

Star fox
How can you write something like that? It is like saying "it doesn't come in black and white (only comes in black and white).".

You don't make sense. "At all" means "nothing", maybe you wanted to say they slightly increased the battery?
You're kidding right ?

The fact is that Apple measures the battery life considering 4 topics :
- 3G Talk Time
- 3G Internet Use
- Video
- Music

The 4S is ONLY 1 hour better in "3G Talk Time". That's nothing. At all.

In fact, it's far more accurate to say that they've kept the same battery life than to say they've improved it.

Tsunami911
The only thing Apple didn't do was increase the screen size. Everything else about this phone puts it at the head of the smart phone class...way ahead.

strausd
So it is a CDMA design or GSM design? I am looking for cases and I don't know which to look for.

firewater101
Oct 4, 2011, 02:42 PM
Meh... this is the new Apple without Steve Jobs. We better get used to boring releases with stupid names like "4S", stagnant stock prices, and... "Cards". Remember 1994? Here we go again.

Newton70
Remember not so long ago when AAPL hit 420 and everyone was moaning about how they wish they had gotten in when it was lower? Well, now it's lower.

But who wants to buy a stock when it's down? Best wait until it hits a new all-time high. ;)

Yeah, but you shouldn't try to catch a falling knife and the same holds true for AAPL right now.

chrmjenkins
What's the point to getting a 32GB or 64GB now that there is no hard wire syncing plus free iCloud. Can't you essentially just swap things out on the fly?

Only 5GB, unless you want to pay.

michaelflynn
what happened to the Sprint rumor btw i thought it was a sure thing

In the iPhone page on Apple's site it says the 4s is available on Sprint. Weird that they didn't mention it.

maz-o
Oct 4, 2011, 02:43 PM
What the hell does 'faster graphics' even mean? Will my birds be flying faster through the air? Will the refresh rate be 7 times more frames per sec? Or what?

ldj5000
Oct 4, 2011, 02:43 PM
I can't wait until next year when they release the iPhone 4S+ !

oy.

scansp7
Oct 4, 2011, 02:44 PM
Thats it the 4s.......

hopefully Siri can make an appointment for me to sell my apple stock asap!

What a disappointment...

ann713
If only they'd given us the edge to edge screen....

Soura2112
I for one like the current design, nor want a bigger screen, I have an iPad for that.
Everything else sounds pretty cool. Sure it's not HUGE upgrade, but I like the new speeds and especially the camera.
I have never been into voice recognition, though I used it on and old phone years ago to make calls. I hope Siri is cool, but until I try it I can't say anything. If it works well then awesome, if not then I just want use it. I have an upgrade coming that's works out for me so I'm happy, plus at last I won't need to wait in line since my contract is up a month after it's release, so I also get to hear the feedback.

ThisIsNotMe
The only thing Apple didn't do was increase the screen size. Everything else about this phone puts it at the head of the smart phone class...way ahead.

They probably focused grouped it and found that the majority of their target market doesn't care about the increase form 3.5" to 4".

Apples biggest success is understand what its customers want and giving that to them. They have to spend a **** ton of money on market research.

I don't doubt that Apple has been exploring larger screen and simply found little to no demand in their target demographic.

hardcoreapple
And you know why they don't Appreciate it??

Because these are the same people that have been TOTALLY SURE and Betting their Houses on a IPHONE 5 and a total redesign that was never a fact, only a rumor!! These are the same people that have been rude and condescending to the rest of us when we didn't think there was a Redesign coming and that there was NO IPhone 5.

Now, Who's looking foolish??

Let the Temper Tantrums begin...

pls look at history for berry phone n nokia where are they now......
apple never ever listen to theirs hardcore fans comment their arrogant won't go far ......as i post an earlier comment here....totally not a evolution, as for us design is most important as they did for their first iPhone.... simplified it.... 3.5 screen totally not acceptable in this current time, when iPhone 4s can't sell or meet demand... d pointing finger story is up again.....hahaha waste money invest in apple cos they think pc market same as iPhone well is not. iPhone is actually a fashion design stuff must start refresh it design in order to success

maghemi
Oct 4, 2011, 02:46 PM
Well there you go.

Crap. Won't be upgrading to that. Samsung just got a new customer.

I really didn't like the feel of the iphone 4. Been holding onto the 3gs waiting to see if the redesign comes along, I won't be buying this. Gonna try the samsung (I find iOS rather disappointing as well)

haiggy
Apple hurt me the most today...

I had scheduled a hot air balloon ride today for my girlfriend and myself. Last night I called and it was cancelled for this morning due to weather (even though there is no high winds or impending storms... anyways...). So I'm bummed out. I was gonna propose today.

I tried to reschedule but everything is booked for the rest of the season and I can't get another ride until Spring 2012. Gonna have to find another way to do it.

SO, after all this, what is the coincidence Apple has plastered hot air balloon pictures and video all over their ****ING SITE just reminding me of what I didn't get to experience and enjoy today.

Apple... you make me hurt... :(

(I'm not actually upset with Apple. It's just a very weird coincidence)

Drewswa77

As far as I know the only smartphone with a higher resolution than the iPhone 4/4s is the samsung galaxy hd which has a 4.6 inch screen. That's huge and cannot be easy to fit into a pocket.
Do you want apple to give you a half inch bump with the same 960x640 res, thus making the display less crisp? Or bump the res making all the app need to be rebuilt?

What smartphone display is clearly better then the iPhone right now. Not just BIGGER.

Newton70
Look on the bright side people, Apple's Mac Pro refresh is just around the corner and is rumored to have the all new PowerPC G3 chip and will, get this, sport VGA graphics!!! Also, the all new Apple CRT tube television is rumored to be in final rounds of testing and expecting certification by the FCC!!!

Tsunami911
That makes me wonder too. What is this mysterious device ?

I can't see Apple using it to find leaks, that'd be stupid.

The iPhone 5 is really the new ipod Touch design. You heard it hear first.

Taipan
Oct 4, 2011, 02:47 PM
In the iPhone page on Apple's site it says the 4s is available on Sprint. Weird that they didn't mention it.

They did. At least in the live ticker I read they mentioned it.

joelk
Oct 4, 2011, 02:47 PM
Original iPhone and then 3GS owner. My 3gs has served me well but the volume and off buttons no longer work. Wanted a bigger screen and 4g. I knew 4g wasn't likely but was expecting a larger screen (even if the shell was the same size). I don't really care about battery life given my routine.

I've been holding out for this announcement but the phone obviously isn't for me. Assistant is impressive but I doubt I'd use it at all.

The only good thing about waiting so long for this announcement is the nexus prime announcement is next week.

I have no doubt apple will sell a lot of these but I don't see anything in the device that will increase the rate of adoption from its current (very good of course) trajectory. 6 months from now this phone could be very dated though.

interesting times... at least we have choices.

camaroIOM
Oct 4, 2011, 02:48 PM
I will say it again better to have my jailbroken phone which is on about the IPhone 10 platform. Will outdo the 4gs anyday. I already speak text and so on

MadeTheSwitch
Oct 4, 2011, 02:49 PM
I actually wonder what some of you have expected. What kind of hardware-specific features are you missing? What should the iPhone 4S have that it currently does not? I cannot come up with something, only some slight improvements, which Apple did.

I can come up with something...a larger screen. My eyes simply cannot tolerate such a small screen. Which is one of two reasons I ended up getting an Android (the other reason being price...I can't get an iPhone plan for the $25 a month I pay for my phone now.) I'd love for both those situations to be resolved but until they are, I'll probably be in the Android side for my phone needs while still enjoying my Mac and iPad for computing and gaming.

The world phone feature though is nice. I think that is the best thing about this update.

Someone here said that HTC and Samsung are high 5'ing right now.
When they, or anybody else, can come up with something like Siri, *then* they can high 5.
I've seen voice recognition around since as long as I can remember and it never amounted to anything. Apple and Siri showed the rest how it should be, and what they showed was impressive enough.
Apple will be laughing straight to the bank with this new edition, as per usual.

Keep in mind you saw that in a controlled environment on a stage. This is nice, but it won't be perfect in real world conditions when it misunderstands you or your network drops out or whatever.

BruceEBonus
Oct 4, 2011, 02:50 PM
"Siri?"
"Yes, Master?"
"How clever ARE you really?"
"Between myself and my more attractive sister (also called Siri) - I know EVERYTHING"
"In that case - Why have Apple released a stop gap phone which will be replaced in less than 6 months with the iPhone 5 and only cause bad feeling to those who capitulated too early-and buy a 4S in frustration ....?"
"Ah. Now then, Master - my more attractive sister knows the answer to that one"
"Hmmm. Really? Well that sounds like a (wait for it) 'Pretty Siri Excuse' if I ever heard one"

("Thats enough puns for this message ... cut it here!"-Macrumors Ed.)

alvarez16
Do we know if AT&T will allow current customers to upgrade a bit earlier than usual? I'm not eligible for an upgrade until November but would like to get the $199 price.

Thanks

davidbrummy
Not really that unexpected. Apple seems to be on two year cycles like many of its contract holders. 3G->3GS and now 4G->4GS. This hopefully means when the 5 does make an appearance I will be out of my contract with AT&T.

I do like the idea of the new AppleCare+ my wife has already gotten through 3 iPhones through washing and the last one she just dropped and shattered the glass.

camaroIOM
Oct 4, 2011, 02:51 PM
I love MyWI to much and Airplay any app. I have uwatch and can airplay to my apple tv movies in theaters. I already get notifications, text, emails and weather on my lock screen. Customized keypads voice recognition for texting, I could keep going.

hundleton1
Oct 4, 2011, 02:52 PM
Just stop the whining, its a solid update, Apple were never going to increase its screen size, its a phone not a PSP, its screen size is ideal for a phone, any larger and its uncomfortable, they have stated that themselves, let alone all the app that would have to be re written to cope with the new screen NEVEWR WAS GOING TO HAPPEN.the phone is not made for you tech geeks its made for the masses and love it they do.

Apple have found a platform for the iPhone they are happy with, just like the Uni body macbook, the design may update slightly but overall i see it staying the same for a few years to come.

The fact is.
A5 CPU
8mp Camera
Redesigned Antenna.
Better Batterylife.

Overall a solid update.

Yamcha

I could careless about the majority that you've listed, first of all I don't think faster hardware warrants an upgrade at all, the iPhone 4 or iPad 1st generation were never slow to begin with, new camera great, but again who is going to upgrade simply because of a better camera? iPhone is a media consumption device, It's not catered to professional photographers..

For me nothing on that list is so compelling that it would have me abandon my iPhone 4.

I was hoping for a larger screen, frankly the screen size on an iPhone is just too tiny to enjoy any gaming at all, I hardly play games on my iPhone 4, simply because of the screen size, It's difficult to enjoy games on such a small device.. And since It has such a large app ecosystem you'd think that would be something they would upgrade for sure..

lilcosco08

The nexus prime likely being announced next week for a early november release
with a 4.66 720p display
and a 1.5ghz dual core processor
android ICS and tons of other goodies that haven't been announced yet
More to come like it.

How is this putting the iPhone way ahead?

Gameboy70
If it was just a spec-bump (albeit a nice one) then I'm wondering why they needed to wait a few extra months past the usual yearly iPhone update cycle to launch it. Was it the A5 chip? Steve? Siri? Apple needing to break the pressure of the cycle?

No-one would've been surprised by a 4S in July, but waiting till October must've created a lot more expectation.I've been consistently amused by people who've cited the delay as "evidence" for a redesign. There was a supply chain disruption from the Japanese earthquake, the Verizon iPhone launch, the white iPhone launch (which itself was behind schedule), the lack of full LTE deployment across carriers (and Apple's dissatisfaction with the power consumption of Qualcomm's current LTE chipset), and the unfinished development of iOS 5/iCloud, which are still in beta. Besides, anything that could've caused a slowdown in Apples release cycles would apply equally to any device they would've released.

Beatbeckham
Oct 4, 2011, 02:53 PM

You forgot 64 GB in your list. That's really cool as I'm having 250 mb of free space and keep deleting cool apps and etc.

EricNau
Oct 4, 2011, 02:53 PM
For years AT&T has been refusing to unlock all iPhones on the grounds that they were an exclusive carrier. While of course this was preposterous (seeing that the iPhone is available on 200+ carriers, including the two largest carriers in the US), they were technically correct because they were the exclusive carrier of the GSM iPhone in the United States. I wonder if the iPhone 4S's "world" compatibility will force them to acknowledge that they aren't an exclusive carrier now, and begin unlocking iPhones after the two-year contract is fulfilled.

There's no way I'm buying a phone unless I know it's actually mine after two years.

krill
Oct 4, 2011, 02:54 PM
Look what I found: http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/11piuhbvdlbkvoih10/event/index.html

camaroIOM
Oct 4, 2011, 02:54 PM
The droid screens are killer. My friends verizon driod smokes my iphone with its screen and screeming 4g speeds. If apple would have done this I would have switch for these two features one jailbreak open. Now will wait

iBug2
Oct 4, 2011, 02:55 PM
Look what I found: http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/11piuhbvdlbkvoih10/event/index.html

Best post in this thread!

InYou101
Oct 4, 2011, 02:55 PM
Seriously... an iphone 4s!? All this wait for the same for the same stuff with a better chip and camera!? The fake iphone from China looks way better then this. Sad to say apple is no longer about innovation and pushing the envelope with technology and DESIGN. They could have atleast made it thinner or something... I might just keep my 3GS till something better comes along.

sflarc51
Oct 4, 2011, 02:56 PM

Not if you have a limited data plan and more GB's in music than GB's in space left over after all your apps are installed.

steve-p
Oct 4, 2011, 02:57 PM
Keep in mind you saw that in a controlled environment on a stage. This is nice, but it won't be perfect in real world conditions when it misunderstands you or your network drops out or whatever.
Coming soon to a bus, train or restaurant near you... some asshat shouting their annoying personal life details at their iPhone.

pancakeparty
Oct 4, 2011, 02:57 PM
Definitely upgrading from my ****** droid :3

Not sure why everyone's like OH MY GARSH IM SO DISAPPOINTED!!!11 What exactly was it that you were expecting? A holograph projector? A pancake griddle? Yes, a slightly larger screen would have been nice, but I'm perfectly content with the iPhone 4's, which obviously works, seeing as it's sold millions upon millions of handsets. Besides, it would ruin the pretty retina display :3

Relax, everyone. It's a great handset. Even though it may not be SUPERSTEROIDEDUPPPP like the android competitors, iOS with all its new features is definitely by far more usable. These are the only phones that just work. Besides, how many times are you really going to need like a 2gHz processor, unless you like use your phone for encoding movies o.o?

ppilone
Oct 4, 2011, 02:58 PM
I could careless about the majority that you've listed, first of all I don't think faster hardware warrants an upgrade at all, the iPhone 4 or iPad 1st generation were never slow to begin with, new camera great, but again who is going to upgrade simply because of a better camera? iPhone is a media consumption device, It's not catered to professional photographers..

For me nothing on that list is so compelling that it would have me abandon my iPhone 4.

I was hoping for a larger screen, frankly the screen size on an iPhone is just too tiny to enjoy any gaming at all, I hardly play games on my iPhone 4, simply because of the screen size, It's difficult to enjoy games on such a small device.. And since It has such a large app ecosystem you'd think that would be something they would upgrade for sure..

So if Apple spent 15 months on upgrading nothing but the screen you would have been happy? I'm calling your bluff.

aross99
Oct 4, 2011, 02:59 PM

This is what I would like to know also. Seems like someone made a BIG mistake on all of those cases. Weren't some of them at AT&T stores too?

michaelflynn
Oct 4, 2011, 03:01 PM
They did. At least in the live ticker I read they mentioned it.

Gotcha. I didn't stick around after it was apparent that Siri was the last big announcement. Had to get going to work and the whole presentation was just pretty boring.

Rychy
Well I'm going to hold on to my 3GS for another year ... since getting an iPad I haven't been using my iPhone nearly as much and I know it's because of the screen size.

normang
The big let down, because it didn't have a larger screen, it looks the same, waaa...

There are some serious technical upgrades here, and because of "ALL THE RUMOR HYPE", its a big let down..

All those really cool renderings, the case photos, all meaningless.

I think the new iPhone is pretty cool, and am looking forward to upgrading depending on what the carriers will let one do.

if your on Verizon, you've at best had an iPhone for 6-7 months, and if your on AT&T and got an iPhone 4 on release day, your about 14 months into a contract. So, depending on what happens with the carriers, is how one can upgrade if your so inclined.

mbh
Yeah, but you shouldn't try to catch a falling knife and the same holds true for AAPL right now.

Looks like that knife turned into a rubber ball. AAPL just closed down a mere 0.56%.

NoExpectations
Oct 4, 2011, 03:02 PM
Better start selling, Sprint.....you bought 30 million of these.

Since Sprint doesn't support HSDPA or data/voice multitasking, they'd better offer some coupons.

AT&T iPhone 4=7.2mbs
AT&T iPhone 4s=14.4mbs

Verizon or Sprint iPhone 4=3mbs (and lacks data/voice multitasking)
Verizon or Sprint iPhone 4s=3mbs (and still lacks data/voice multitasking)

Of course these are theoretical speeds.

JHankwitz
Oct 4, 2011, 03:03 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_10 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E600 Safari/6533.18.5)

This phone is not intended to replace an iPhone 4. It's for replacing a 3, 3s, or someone new to the iPhone. Your upgrade is coming out next year after your current contract ends.

Mmerc79
Oct 4, 2011, 03:06 PM
Balls of Steele big balls of Steele ..... That's what apple has giving us a 4s. How could they stand up ther at an iPhone hardware event and sell us software. The iPhones screen has become microscopic. I'm going to buy a galaxy s2 and I'm having iOS installed on it until apple gives us a new phone

pooryou
Oct 4, 2011, 03:06 PM
This is not a disappointing release at all, in fact I will be pre-ordering a replacement for my 3GS on Friday.

Apple could have released nothing today and still would not be behind. A feature list is not a phone; Apple's so-called competitors are not even close to the iPhone user experience and have no hope of catching up any time soon.

Rhymecrafter
Oct 4, 2011, 03:08 PM
I have not read every comment on here, but from what I have read, the phone would be awesome if it had a new case, but sucks because it doesn't? :eek:

Have I got that right?

Isn't the guts the real issue here, I would love a new case but this case is one of the nicest designs ever made on a product :rolleyes:

BruceEBonus
Coming soon to a bus, train or restaurant near you... some asshat shouting their annoying personal life details at their iPhone.

"Do you MIND, Waiter? I'll give you my main course order.. but only AFTER I have discussed the matter with Siri, first. Now go and serve someone else and allow us 'both' time to decide ...."

I'm sorry, 'darling' ... people can be SO rude at times ... interrupting a man and his closest personal belongings ..... :eek:

mamon343
How much ram does it have???

ThisIsNotMe
A big unanswered question is if Sprint is getting the iPad.

ericinboston
Oct 4, 2011, 03:09 PM
Plzplzplz.. Let there be "one more thing" - and iPhone 5 BAM! :s

Have 2 say, a bit disappointed.

I agree. I have the 3GS and the 4S is more appealing (because it's 2 versions newer)...I'm mainly interested in the better video/pictures and faster/snappier response such as web browser.

I can care less about Siri...who honestly needs a DA anyway? Of course some features appeal more to others.

I will still likely buy because my contract is up, but I was looking for:

-cheaper 64GB version

-ability to actually email videos over 55 seconds to people

-ability to send video emails up to 20MB (may not apply so much now)...really sick of how Apple converts the video AND forces me to send crappy versions to email folks...sure, I can post to Youtube but then I gotta go send an email telling everyone where to go...and stream...etc.

-no mention of actually getting my pix and vids off the iPhone via iTunes...still gotta use Windows Explorer...not sure why Apple is so against me hooking my iphone (or wirelessly now) to iTunes and do a simple Copy/Paste of my pix/videos.

-screen resolution? Same as 4?

Again, I will still buy it...unless some crazy killer iPhone 5 is coming to ATT within next 6 months but I highly doubt that.

Now I am just paranoid about actually migrating all my stuff from the 3GS to the 4S. $10 says I have to go to an ATT store...I cannot imagine that iTunes would do it 100% accurately...and I'm not driving 70+ mins to an Apple store to wait in line for 2+ hours.

lilcosco08
Oct 4, 2011, 03:10 PM
Definitely upgrading from my ****** droid :3

Not sure why everyone's like OH MY GARSH IM SO DISAPPOINTED!!!11 What exactly was it that you were expecting? A holograph projector? A pancake griddle? Yes, a slightly larger screen would have been nice, but I'm perfectly content with the iPhone 4's, which obviously works, seeing as it's sold millions upon millions of handsets. Besides, it would ruin the pretty retina display :3

Relax, everyone. It's a great handset. Even though it may not be SUPERSTEROIDEDUPPPP like the android competitors, iOS with all its new features is definitely by far more usable. These are the only phones that just work. Besides, how many times are you really going to need like a 2gHz processor, unless you like use your phone for encoding movies o.o?

I think the main reason is it's going to be already going to be beaten in specs by android phones starting as early as next month with the nexus prime.

But the OS part is subjective and is also the main reason why most people here own macs that are outspec'd by windows PC's, because the OS makes the final difference.

Mmerc79
This is not a disappointing release at all, in fact I will be pre-ordering a replacement for my 3GS on Friday.

Apple could have released nothing today and still would not be behind. A feature list is not a phone; Apple's so-called competitors are not even close to the iPhone user experience and have no hope of catching up any time soon.

You my friend have not a clue what you are talking about....... And I'm not even going into detail.... And no I'm not an android fan. I hate andriod. I'm a die hard iPhone user. What apple did today is quite possibly the worst business decision they have ever made!!!

jsoto

LoL so true!:D

asuperpower
Oct 4, 2011, 03:11 PM
I woke up at 3:00AM for this?!?!? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: At least it has a faster processor.

I'm not to unhappy about the phone, I was just expecting more.

K4LK
I have not read every comment on here, but from what I have read, the phone would be awesome if it had a new case, but sucks because it doesn't? :eek:

Have I got that right?

Isn't the guts the real issue here, I would love a new case but this case is one of the nicest designs ever made on a product :rolleyes:

Thanks. Well stated. I'm limping along with a 28-month-old 3GS. I'm there this Friday :D

jimbobb24
I like the current form factor of the iPhone 4 the best of any phone so very happy. So what's better- faster but who needs a much faster phone so just pure bonus. Battery longer. But what is most important to me? The camera. My phone camera is my most used camera by far and here apple is just beating the crap out of the other phones.

Also, why is infinity blade 2 limited to only 4s, why not ipad2?

I am buying two- one for me and one for wife. So happy they did not make the screen bigger and more gaudy.

Siri may be great, but right now half the time my iPhone cannot tell difference between home and mobile so I have my doubts.

oldwatery
Oct 4, 2011, 03:12 PM
I think the reason many people are not overwhelmed by this "upgrade" is that as usual Apple hype themselves up so much there is a natural expectation of something great.
Which this clearly is not.
The same happens with the computers every time they put in a new processor or whatever.
Nice upgrade but not anything really new.
Apple was all about innovation but sometimes you just can't keep that pace up....nothing bad about that.
Unfortunately Apple is the media darling and the new fashion statement so this has to be expected.
What I hate more is the incessant self congratulatory back slapping that goes on at these events.
It's like a stock holders meeting every time.
I don't give a rat how many stores they have or how many apps they sell. That's of interest only to shareholders......so cut the "I'm so great" BS and hype and focus on the product then maybe there will be less disappointment at each of these events.
Just a thought......

H2SO4
Oct 4, 2011, 03:13 PM

Yep, suppose you are right. I did and probably will with my next one. That said, I have a 2006 Mac Pro which is more than adequate for my needs. The later ones are faster granted an they do exactly what my old one does, just faster.
If they put it in a new box, I might upgrade. If they don't I don't think I will.

Am I fickle?

LagunaSol
Oct 4, 2011, 03:14 PM

Have I got that right?

Pretty much. Go figure.

Heck, I hope they keep the exact same body for the iPhone 5. It's a beautiful device. Why change a good thing?

fxscreamer
I'm personally happy with the updates. I think the 4S is a solid upgrade over the 4. The bias here is, if it had a new casing, everyone would be WOW. Thing is, the iPhone 4 design is truly stellar and doesn't need to be phased out just yet. There were some wonderful surprises, like the 1080p video, world phone, dual antenna (HDSPA support), and I got my wishes with a 64GB model. Let's not forget iOS 5 as a whole, and the new Siri Assistant. This is a great package people. Only thing I'm put off by is the $400 price tag for a 64GB model. BLEH.

My question is, if I go Verizon, does that dual antenna technology allow me to talk and do data at the same time on a CDMA network? OH PLEASE I HOPE!

nervouk

They're all on a big truck on their way out to that desert landfill site full of Atari's ET cartridges :D

fysh3

Have I got that right?

After reading lots of comments, I have to agree with you. It sounds Awesome, amazing internals. Just because it doesn't have a bigger screen and a new case people don't like it. I can't wait for October the 14th :)

Cantello
Now that the new phone sports Bluetooth 4.0, does anyone know if remote SIMA access profile (rSAP/SAP) is available?

hundleton1
As has been stated apple don't play the HW game, never has, spec for spec macs have always been behind pc, the iPhone is the same, its all about integrated hardware and software, not one can compete with the level of integration apple gives.

the droid camp is trying to play the old pc game, its all about the biggest spec, Apple just make it work as it should.

aross99
Oct 4, 2011, 03:15 PM
I have to say my disappointment is that there is no change in the case design. That teardrop shape looked nice.

Don't really care about a larger screen - it's more important for me that the overall phone size doesn't get larger...

Faster CPU and hopefully 1G of ram would be good.
Faster HSPA+ sounds good if it is available in your area...
Siri sounds interesting. Would like to see how this works in the car, when you can't really deal with text messages, etc.

It's hard not to get carried away with all of the rumors. Same thing happened last time.

Since I'm on a one year upgrade cycle as a primary account on AT&T, I'm going to upgrade.

I just hope they don't switch back to the June/July time frame with a new redesigned case.

Anyone who was surprised by todays announcements (vs. being disappointed) hasn't been following the rumors very well. It's been pretty clear for a while that there might not be a new design. If it weren't for the cases (didn't someone order 500K of these???), I would have given up on that a while ago.

As far as the people switching to Android - go ahead and switch. Get the phone that works for YOU. I'm sticking with my iPhone.

Oh, and the Stock price will recover also. it always goes down after these announcements. I think it was down for weeks after the last one. Then it recovered. It's a buying opportunity as they say.

People need to remember that as prolific as the users on this board are, we represent a tiny tiny fraction of the iPhone population, and most of those people will see this as an upgrade.

Anyone with a 3G or 3GS is crazy not to upgrade to the 4S. The increase in performance with the A5 should be pretty amazing.

I guess I'm over the disappointment now, and ready to put my pre-order in. Already trying to decide if I have it shipped to home, or wait in line for in store pickup.

K4LK
Oct 4, 2011, 03:15 PM
Now I am just paranoid about actually migrating all my stuff from the 3GS to the 4S. $10 says I have to go to an ATT store...I cannot imagine that iTunes would do it 100% accurately...and I'm not driving 70+ mins to an Apple store to wait in line for 2+ hours.

I will be doing the same thing and think it will work fine. The only thing that doesn't get restored from backup is passwords, which is a good thing.

I restored a replacement iPad 2 from the backup and everything made it.

ipoppy
Oct 4, 2011, 03:16 PM
I was going to buy it for my wife but £499 WITH CONTRACT!!!
I have paid just slightly more for my sim-free iphone4.
Joke:(:(:(

So how much unlocked if available at all.

aross99
Oct 4, 2011, 03:16 PM

Have I got that right?

LOL - I have to admit that this was my first reaction too. The design does grow on you though, and the internal update is pretty significant. I'm ready to pre-order mine...

andrewlgm
Oct 4, 2011, 03:17 PM
Apple hurt me the most today...

I had scheduled a hot air balloon ride today for my girlfriend and myself. Last night I called and it was cancelled for this morning due to weather (even though there is no high winds or impending storms... anyways...). So I'm bummed out. I was gonna propose today.

I tried to reschedule but everything is booked for the rest of the season and I can't get another ride until Spring 2012. Gonna have to find another way to do it.

SO, after all this, what is the coincidence Apple has plastered hot air balloon pictures and video all over their ****ING SITE just reminding me of what I didn't get to experience and enjoy today.

Apple... you make me hurt... :(

(I'm not actually upset with Apple. It's just a very weird coincidence)

this gave me a good laugh. and I am sorry for you not achieving what you wanted. I'm sure you'll do it soon. good luck

BigDukeSix
Inside it is an all new phone, it just looks the same on the outside. It has much more capability, and it is still an apple product. Couple that with iOS 5 and it will rock. And they also know that VZ customers are only a little ways into their iPhone 4 contracts and won't be upgrading right away anyway.

I applaud Apple for not jumping on 4G until they can get the battery life sorted out. What good is 4G speed if you can only use it for a few hours???

Sequin
A little let down with no iPhone 5, but either way I'm getting a new phone because I'm still on iPhone 3 (yeah that's not even 3G). The little guy has been good to me for years, but it's time for an upgrade because I'm tired of downloading apps I can't use. ):

Mmerc79
Oct 4, 2011, 03:18 PM

More statements form the brainless..... Do u really think the " new form factor" is thenbig issue here ??? Really ?? Its the fact that the best running phone in the world that's running the best software in the world has a screen size that is of no use to anyone who actually users their smartphone as a smartphone.... Not for the morons who buy an iPhone just to say they have one but what about the majority of iPhone users who like owning a smartphone to actualy use them. Like for games email web surfing and much more..... How long are we supposed to look at a screen that is not compadible with the features of the phone .......?? Sounds like u people need to go buy a motorola star tech

branjmb
Oct 4, 2011, 03:18 PM
they truly have no excuse for taking an extra 5 months to roll this out.

andddd there goes 5% of their stock value.

Sedrick
Oct 4, 2011, 03:19 PM
One good thing: All the iPhone 4 owners can just tell everyone they've got the latest iPhone. You can't tell the difference by looking, it'll have iOS5 and most could give a flip about 'assistant' either way.

It's actually a good time to be an iPhone 4 owner.

aross99
Oct 4, 2011, 03:19 PM
I will be doing the same thing and think it will work fine. The only thing that doesn't get restored from backup is passwords, which is a good thing.

I restored a replacement iPad 2 from the backup and everything made it.

I went from a 3GS to a 4 last year, and I don't think I had any issues with the migration. I would expect the same for a 3GS to 4S.

I would update the 3GS to iOS5 on Wednesday, and be sure you sync your 3GS one last time before you do anything with he iPhone 4S, and then you should be able to restore it with the 3GD iOS5 backup.

Newton70
Oct 4, 2011, 03:20 PM
Looks like that knife turned into a rubber ball. AAPL just closed down a mere 0.56%.

I was talking over a period of time...APPL has dropped some $50 over the last couple weeks. I'm not saying now is a bad entry point, but today's thud of an announcement still leaves the opportunity for buying even lower. I am long AAPL.

aluren
Oct 4, 2011, 03:21 PM
We know the 4S is gonna cost alot less to produce since the plants have been running that same design for over a year now. So in the end it came down to cost cutting... Apple played it safe this year.

It is somewhat disappointing today given what we got for the iPhone 4 upgrade last June. I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to upgrade from the 4... This feels like a computer/cpu upgrade dilemma, compared to last year's no brainer upgrade.

jsoto

It now has a 64 GB storage capacity which basically you can now have a very full iPod & iPhone comibined. Great battery life. Siri I will have to play with it. This is new tech voice recognition is the future. We are at the very, very early adoption phase on this new future tech. The design is a beautiful phone. I loved it when the 4 came out. It still rocks! I have no issues with the design. They fixed the antenna. iOS 5 with iCloud that alone will make this phone feature rich.

I think they are still ahead of the game. Remember they are not going to throw all of their cards on the table. They somewhat have iPad 2 & iPhone 4, 4S on the same level.

That is setting up the state for iPad 3 & iPhone 5 LTE or to that effect. They are still going to sell millions of devices as the price has now been reduced to $99 for an iPhone 4 8GB & free basically for the iPhone 3GS.

They are still going to make a killer profit on those phones. They are still fishing consumers. Remember Motorola Razor they had that model for years & sold quite well. Now Apple has price points for everyone for the conservative consumer as well as the tech hungry consumer.

I think they will do well! For us iPhone 4 users. We are still going strong & happy. Now with iOS 5 & iCloud will feature enhance our phone.

aross99
A little let down with no iPhone 5, but either way I'm getting a new phone because I'm still on iPhone 3 (yeah that's not even 3G). The little guy has been good to me for years, but it's time for an upgrade because I'm tired of downloading apps I can't use. ):

I think you will be pretty surprised with the different in performance between the 3G and 4S. I went from a 3GS to a 4 a year ago and that was noticeable. I can't imagine what it will be like from a 3G to a 4S.

42streetsdown
Oct 4, 2011, 03:23 PM
Now people are going to call it the 4GS. This will make me sad. Granted, if they had called it the iPhone 5 then people would start thinking they had 5G wireless tech.

andrewlgm

Have I got that right?

Not really. but what i expect shouldn't expected from apple. external memory being one. I've been purchasing iPhones since the first installment due to innovations and apple system, and always accepted the lack of certain features for those innovations. But it doesn't make much sense right now. I'm sticking with my iPhone 4 until it is no longer working, and may be updating to android, especially what google is cooking up with motorola, but it may change next year or 1.7 years from now when apple releases iPhone 5.

The guts in the iPhone 4S are about 5 months old as every other major maker in the planet already has an 8 megapixel camera with a dual core processor.

nemaslov
This is great! Stop your bitching. So if they called is a 5, you'd be ok? It's already a great design and everything in side is way way way better.

studlybw
I'd be interested to see a poll as far as 3GS owners feelings on the announcement as compared to iPhone 4 owners. I have a sneaking suspicion that 3GS owners are not disappointed by the update, while iPhone 4 owners are. Is there any way on MacRumors to do polls?

I for one, as a 3GS owner, am happy with the announcement.

UHFrank
Oct 4, 2011, 03:24 PM
im definitely going to get the 4s because i have a 3gs, guess imma have to get the 5s too!:D

nemaslov
Oct 4, 2011, 03:25 PM
Not really. but what i expect shouldn't expected from apple. external memory being one. I've been purchasing iPhones since the first installment due to innovations and apple system, and always accepted the lack of certain features for those innovations. But it doesn't make much sense right now. I'm sticking with my iPhone 4 until it is no longer working, and may be updating to android, especially what google is cooking up with motorola, but it may change next year or 1.7 years from now when apple releases iPhone 5.

The guts in the iPhone 4S are about 5 months old as every other major maker in the planet already has an 8 megapixel camera with a dual core processor.

Maybe updating to an android. hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Clayne
Oct 4, 2011, 03:26 PM
Is there any verification for the RAM yet? Upgraded or no?

OllyW
I was going to buy it for my wife but £499 WITH CONTRACT!!!
I have paid just slightly more for my sim-free iphone4.
Joke:(:(:(

So how much unlocked if available at all.

That is the unlocked sim-free price.

We won't know the with-contract prices until the networks announce them.

Rhymecrafter
I think the reason many people are not overwhelmed by this "upgrade" is that as usual Apple hype themselves up so much there is a natural expectation of something great.
Which this clearly is not.
The same happens with the computers every time they put in a new processor or whatever.
Nice upgrade but not anything really new.
Apple was all about innovation but sometimes you just can't keep that pace up....nothing bad about that.
Unfortunately Apple is the media darling and the new fashion statement so this has to be expected.
What I hate more is the incessant self congratulatory back slapping that goes on at these events.
It's like a stock holders meeting every time.
I don't give a rat how many stores they have or how many apps they sell. That's of interest only to shareholders......so cut the "I'm so great" BS and hype and focus on the product then maybe there will be less disappointment at each of these events.
Just a thought......

I think there was a lot of hype, but I can't say as I agree with you that it came from Apple, it's more like it was created because it is just expected of Apple. It doesnt make coffee but I wil survive that... :apple:

needthephone
Oct 4, 2011, 03:27 PM
Good on apple. I don't have to update my iPhone!

You get caught up in this bigger is better mentality when I just love my 4 and don't want to replace it with a bigger bloated design.

But importantly for apple I won't get the 4S but wait till the 5.

So what if they loose share price and customers.

jsoto
For years AT&T has been refusing to unlock all iPhones on the grounds that they were an exclusive carrier. While of course this was preposterous (seeing that the iPhone is available on 200+ carriers, including the two largest carriers in the US), they were technically correct because they were the exclusive carrier of the GSM iPhone in the United States. I wonder if the iPhone 4S's "world" compatibility will force them to acknowledge that they aren't an exclusive carrier now, and begin unlocking iPhones after the two-year contract is fulfilled.

There's no way I'm buying a phone unless I know it's actually mine after two years.

Very good question. I would also like to know the answer to that as well.

vartanarsen
Hey does anyone have any info on the Factory Unlockeds?
There was not a mention today.

deputy_doofy
Oct 4, 2011, 03:28 PM

A post so intelligent, it needs repeating...

Sequin
Oct 4, 2011, 03:29 PM
I think I'll go for the cheapest 4S and still buy a new iPod Classic when I can. $400 for the 64GB phone isn't worth it considering how little space that is compared to the iPod.

guch20
Oct 4, 2011, 03:29 PM
Couple things: the next iPhone will be the 6, not the 5.

I'm actually excited for the 4S, since I'm with Sprint and never had a chance for the iPhone 4. Now I get to buy the perfected "S" version of Apple's hardware every two years.

The people saying that the dual 3G antennas means they'll reach their data caps faster have no idea what they're talking about. A 16MB download is a 16MB download, no matter how fast you reach it. I'm just glad I have the unlimited "Everything Plan" with Sprint.

divinox
Oct 4, 2011, 03:34 PM

3g
3gs
4s
5s
6s

Get used to it.

Might get a 4G(s) thrown in there eventually though.