PDA

View Full Version : iPod Touch Now Comes In White, 8GB Model Now $199

MacRumors
Oct 4, 2011, 01:00 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/04/ipod-touch-now-comes-in-white-8gb-model-now-199/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/10/gdgt-iphone-5-event_038-500x332.jpg

Apple today announced modest changes to its iPod Touch lineup, dropping the price of the 8GB model from $229 to $199, breaking the important $200 price barrier.

The company also introduced a new white model, but didn't mention any significant hardware upgrades during the keynote.

Image courtesy GDGT (http://live.gdgt.com/live-apple-iphone-5-event-coverage/)

Article Link: iPod Touch Now Comes In White, 8GB Model Now $199 (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/04/ipod-touch-now-comes-in-white-8gb-model-now-199/)

Sackvillenb
Oct 4, 2011, 01:06 PM
Cool. That's pretty much what I expected. I might actually get one...!

wikus
Oct 4, 2011, 01:08 PM
Apple today announced modest changes to its iPod Touch lineup, dropping the price of the 8GB model from $229 to $199, breaking the important $200 price barrier.

By $1? :rolleyes:

iMrNiceGuy0023
Oct 4, 2011, 01:10 PM
its the same iPod touch? Just in white? and a $30 deduction on the 8 GB version? Thats it?

Lesser Evets
Oct 4, 2011, 01:12 PM
its the same iPod touch? Just in white? and a $20 deduction on the 8 GB version? Thats it?

Lame, if true.

nickn
Oct 4, 2011, 01:15 PM
Are they kidding??? Stupidest "upgrade" ever if all they added was a new color...

Nicolas4ever
Oct 4, 2011, 01:18 PM
if that's the updates then im just dissapointed,really:(

CReimer
Oct 4, 2011, 01:28 PM
I got a 1st gen 8GB iPod Touch. Whether the current Touch is updated or not, it would be a vast improvement over what I got now. Although I might wait to see if I can get an iPhone through Sprint before getting a Touch.

ghostlyorb
Oct 4, 2011, 01:31 PM
Image (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/04/ipod-touch-now-comes-in-white-8gb-model-now-199/)

Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/10/gdgt-iphone-5-event_038-500x332.jpg)

The company also introduced a new white model, but didn't mention any significant hardware upgrades during the keynote.

Image courtesy GDGT (http://live.gdgt.com/live-apple-iphone-5-event-coverage/)

Article Link: iPod Touch Now Comes In White, 8GB Model Now $199 (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/04/ipod-touch-now-comes-in-white-8gb-model-now-199/)

I'm going to be really disappointed if no A-5 in iPod Touch. Why not put it in?

cvaldes
Oct 4, 2011, 01:32 PM
By $1? :rolleyes:
Yes, the two hundred dollar price point is considered the Spousal Approval Threshold which is why consumer electronics manufacturers of all kinds aim to get these under that

This isn't anything new nor specific to Apple, this has been the case for ages whether it be a DVD player or a game console.

parapup
Oct 4, 2011, 01:32 PM
Instead of reducing $20 - they could've added a better camera. My wife's Nexus wasn't with her last month and she took photos with the iPod Touch - looked horrible!

milo
Oct 4, 2011, 01:37 PM
I'm going to be really disappointed if no A-5 in iPod Touch. Why not put it in?

That's the biggest thing I'd like to see in a touch. The phone now has more memory and the better processor, seems dumb not to include that in the touch. I assume that means it can't use Siri either.

The touch has been competitive but now that Amazon is offering the Fire, that's looking pretty good at that price point - a decent Touch improvement could have made it more appealing but now it seems like Apple is slacking off on this one.

Yvan256
Oct 4, 2011, 02:06 PM
[...]dropping the price of the 8GB model from $229 to $199, breaking the important $200 price barrier.

Why do so many people say it's a 20$ price drop? 230-200 = 30$ price drop.

I'm also disappointed about the lack of A5. In fact, I would have liked to see all the iPhone 4S improvements in a new iPod touch (A5, camera, Siri - on top of GPS and 3G).

Eidorian
Oct 4, 2011, 02:16 PM
Well it looks like my phone was a good purchase. Now Wal-Mart and T-Mobile are offering a $30/month no contract plan with an impressive amount of data.

CougRon
Oct 4, 2011, 02:25 PM
Gamepro is saying the new ipod touch has a new thinner design:
http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/223601/apple-announces-new-ipod-lineup-new-ultra-thin-ipod-touch/
haven't seen this anywhere else though. I can't seem to access the main apple site, and I can't tell from the specs on the store whether there are any changes--the store is certainly not hyping anything about a thinner design.

AlekNovy
Oct 4, 2011, 02:29 PM
This doesn't make sense

First - they brag about how it's the world's most popular handheld gaming device

Next - they say they didn't improves it's game specs AT ALL from last year

If anything, the ipod touch needs the specs bump for gaming purposes more than the iPhone does. Maybe they're taking a risk to see if gamers are going to buy an iPhone just for the performance?

Kyle4
Oct 4, 2011, 02:39 PM
Aside from a $30 price drop for the 8GB version and a white colour scheme, the iPod touch is identical to the one released last year. $399 for 64GB is far too much money, not to mention the fact that the upcoming Kindle Fire will cost as much as the lowest end touch. If I didn't live in Canada I'd be all over that. Incredibly disappointed with everything Apple announced this year.

randomrazr
Oct 4, 2011, 02:47 PM
anything happenw ith the ipod classic?

Bregalad
Oct 4, 2011, 02:49 PM
I knew it was going to be bad when Phil started to introduce the new iPods before the iPhone had been shown, but I never imagined it would be that bad. I don't know why he was even on stage because the iPod touch is the same as last year with a new colour and slightly lower entry level price. The new nano's "improved" interface sounds significantly worse with one swipe and a tap replaced by 7 swipes and a tap.

Next time Phil don't embarrass yourself just issue an iPod press release.

baleensavage
Oct 4, 2011, 02:50 PM
Biggest disappointment of the keynote by far...

How hard would it have been to put a usable camera and a better chip in there? Or at least bump the memory on the base model to 16GB. I love my iPod touch 4G, but the camera on it is total crap. I don't understand why Apple continues to have the iPod touch be treated like a 2nd class citizen. Who honestly thinks people would skip out on buying an iPhone if the iPod touch had a similar camera and processor?

Eidorian
Oct 4, 2011, 03:03 PM
Aside from a $30 price drop for the 8GB version and a white colour scheme, the iPod touch is identical to the one released last year. $399 for 64GB is far too much money, not to mention the fact that the upcoming Kindle Fire will cost as much as the lowest end touch. If I didn't live in Canada I'd be all over that. Incredibly disappointed with everything Apple announced this year.Yeah at $199, it's Kindle Fire time.

MacIke
Oct 4, 2011, 03:09 PM
I am so bummed that the iPod touch has become the MacLC of the iPod line.

I was going to go out and buy two now . . . who knows who cares.

I want the better camera.

RawBert
Oct 4, 2011, 03:15 PM
Next year there will be a real update. In 2013, like today, none. 2014 upgrade...
Until they kill it.

The13thDoctor
Oct 4, 2011, 03:15 PM
The iPod Touch is slightly thinner and there are some battery improvements.

Nermal
Oct 4, 2011, 03:19 PM
The NZ prices have improved a lot, shockingly they're better than the American prices now (US$189/281/379). Time for me to grab a 64 gig, I think :)

Illumination
Oct 4, 2011, 03:20 PM
anything happenw ith the ipod classic?
Left untouched. Year number three.

AppleDroid
Oct 4, 2011, 03:21 PM
I don't understand why they are so expensive still. It should just be 16GB/$199 and up. Also it's the same hardware with a slimmer case right? Such a confusing update.

John.B
Oct 4, 2011, 03:23 PM
I'll reserve judgment until iFixit does a teardown.

gkarris
Oct 4, 2011, 03:23 PM
Why upgrade now when it's selling just fine?

Look for upgrades next year

(I was going to say after the Back-To-School sale but now that's only a $100 iTunes Card... :eek:)

organerito
Oct 4, 2011, 03:27 PM
Yeah at $199, it's Kindle Fire time.

Indeed, it is!

lamewing
Oct 4, 2011, 03:36 PM
Indeed, it is!

I am surprised to say this, but I also will be sending my $200 to Amazon for the Kindle Fire.... :eek:

MacDarcy
Oct 4, 2011, 03:40 PM
Can't say as I'm not suprised, as all the rumors pointed to a minor update....

But I am dissappointed non the less. No A5 to take advatange of the new iOS 5? No new camera to replace the pathetic half a mega pixel old one?

I couldnt care less about a "white" ipod touch. That is not an update in my opinion.

And for those saying that the ipod touch is a music device, and doesn't deserve those improvements? I beg to differ. The nano, shuffle and classic are music devices. The ipod touch is an iOS device. Its so much more than just a music device. People who travel alot or dont want to get locked into a contract use the ipod touch as a VOIP device. They take pictures and videos with it to send their friends. To not update the camera is a huge mistake. Its been one, if not THE biggest complaint about the last ipod touch.

tom123
Oct 4, 2011, 03:43 PM
Well I was going to buy one today :-(

The only major change is to white, come on, been a year now.

Apple...
Oct 4, 2011, 03:49 PM
Hmm. Much less than I expected. Big redesign isn't till next year though - just glad I didn't sell my 4th gen. :D

xStep
Oct 4, 2011, 03:50 PM
Apple: "We didn't want to leave the iPod touch stagnate, so we added a color option". :eek:

Isn't that an awesome 'new' iPod touch! It says it's new on their store page. WTF qualifies for new now days. :mad:

Now we're left to wonder that if there is still no iPod touch competition next year, will a similar lack luster announcement occur. :(

vanzantapple
Oct 4, 2011, 03:51 PM
Every picture tells a story. This one is sad...sad for iPT fans.

iPhone - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - iPod Touch

http://charltonhestonsvest.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/stewis-and-bitch1.jpg

PS. Remember those rumors about the iPT being EOLed. I think this is the last year for the Touch. Next year it will be replaced by a cheap iPhone.

PeterQVenkman
Oct 4, 2011, 03:54 PM
This update makes me feel good about my iPod touch which is now 2 generations behind. No compelling reason to upgrade.

That camera on the touch still sucks monster balls.

devinci99
Oct 4, 2011, 03:57 PM
Surprisingly I was not dissappointed with the iphone 4S announcement. No change in chasis, but they upgraded the inside tremendously; so I am so dissappointment that this years ipod touches didn't get any spec bump... especially in the light of competition.

Samsung already has a 4.7" tablet, which is pretty much an Andriod without the phone capbilities and pretty much competes directly with the ipod touch with impressive specs.

I know it wasn't really in the announcement, but has ANYONE confirm for 100% that it isn't an A5 in the new ipod touches? That seems foolish; how is that suppose to go head to head with Samsung and HTC tablets in that form factor???

I really wanted to get an ipod touch this year too.

vanzantapple
Oct 4, 2011, 04:07 PM
Surprisingly I was not dissappointed with the iphone 4S announcement. No change in chasis, but they upgraded the inside tremendously; so I am so dissappointment that this years ipod touches didn't get any spec bump... especially in the light of competition.

Samsung already has a 4.7" tablet, which is pretty much an Andriod without the phone capbilities and pretty much competes directly with the ipod touch with impressive specs.

I know it wasn't really in the announcement, but has ANYONE confirm for 100% that it isn't an A5 in the new ipod touches? That seems foolish; how is that suppose to go head to head with Samsung and HTC tablets in that form factor???

I really wanted to get an ipod touch this year too.

Go for the FIRE or the Samsung PMPs.

iPT5, last year's tech at this year's high price. MMMM, still tastes great. :apple:

The rent is too damn high!!!

redshift1
Oct 4, 2011, 04:11 PM
Go for the FIRE or the Samsung PMPs.

iPT5, last year's tech at this year's high price. MMMM, still tastes great. :apple:

The rent is too damn high!!!

Probably right plus Samsung may lower the price to compete with the new touch.

tablo13
Oct 4, 2011, 04:16 PM
White color, price drop -- that's it?!?! :mad: Could've put some cheap GPS chips in the iPod touch... At least the third generation had some performance improvements... very disappointed in the iOS device upgrades.

Gamepro is saying the new ipod touch has a new thinner design:
http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/223601/apple-announces-new-ipod-lineup-new-ultra-thin-ipod-touch/
haven't seen this anywhere else though. I can't seem to access the main apple site, and I can't tell from the specs on the store whether there are any changes--the store is certainly not hyping anything about a thinner design.
The specs say they're the same thinness as the 4th generation.
http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/specs.html
http://support.apple.com/kb/SP594

Invincibilizer
Oct 4, 2011, 04:17 PM
Ugh

bad update, oh well since I don't have any previous iOS devices I will buy it for 199$.

Bitter sweet though, Getting retina display A4 for 199$ but I waited months so that the 4g could have a better camera and possibly more RAM.

Oh well at least I will be getting one and will optimized it with an iOS5 jailbreak.

Eidorian
Oct 4, 2011, 04:24 PM
Probably right plus Samsung may lower the price to compete with the new touch.It's tough. You can buy outright some of Samsung's phones in this range without a contract.

jdsipod
Oct 4, 2011, 04:52 PM
I want some of my money back, I just bought a new iPod Touch about two weeks ago... should have waited

anschnaller
Oct 4, 2011, 04:56 PM
this is really lame. but saw it coming. white is really cool. but they need to change up the hardware at least add more RAM. really lame apple. i would like to see a 128 gb for 350 or something.so lame apple. hopefully ifixit's teardown finds the A5 and more ram and new GPU. but very unlikely

----------

Every picture tells a story. This one is sad...sad for iPT fans.

iPhone - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - iPod Touch

Image (http://charltonhestonsvest.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/stewis-and-bitch1.jpg)

PS. Remember those rumors about the iPT being EOLed. I think this is the last year for the Touch. Next year it will be replaced by a cheap iPhone.

this pic is so true it is really sad to see this happen.

ufwa
Oct 4, 2011, 04:57 PM
I want some of my money back, I just bought a new iPod Touch about two weeks ago... should have waited

Uhh go to the store and get a refund. Most stores gives you 30 days. buy newer one next week. You can even spend a few minutes decided on white or black too.

feather
Oct 4, 2011, 05:06 PM

There's no upgrade though??? It only came in white, that's the only change

Nermal
Oct 4, 2011, 05:20 PM
And it's cheaper, which is probably what jdsipod was getting at with "some money back".

iEvolution
Oct 4, 2011, 05:33 PM
iPods are dead there is literally no hardware updates at all to the entire line this year, for some reason Apple doesn't think there is a market for them anymore.

Sorry Apple I won't be moving on to your iPhone platform no matter what you do with the iPods, I will be moving on to another brand and just have to suffer without iTunes it seems.

freiheit
Oct 4, 2011, 06:02 PM
I fall into the category of people who will not pay $70+ a month for a cell phone data plan, so I've been interested in the iPod Touch. But the lack of a true HD camera in last year's model stopped me buying it. This year's model has the same underwhelming camera, which means Apple loses out on my money again. Sorry Apple, I WANT to buy your product, but you have to make it worth my while. I want an iPhone without the phone. Simple enough. You have all the parts.

LS1
Oct 4, 2011, 06:03 PM
How is there not a 16 GB ipod touch? 8 GB is so small, even just for music.

By the looks of this "update" Apple will probably be killing off the ipod touch in a couple of years.

tablo13
Oct 4, 2011, 06:18 PM
I fall into the category of people who will not pay $70+ a month for a cell phone data plan, so I've been interested in the iPod Touch. But the lack of a true HD camera in last year's model stopped me buying it. This year's model has the same underwhelming camera, which means Apple loses out on my money again. Sorry Apple, I WANT to buy your product, but you have to make it worth my while. I want an iPhone without the phone. Simple enough. You have all the parts.

Get an iPhone 4?

andreiru
Oct 4, 2011, 06:22 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; ru-ru) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Heck with gaming, my touch is struggling with most basic tasks. Dont know if this is sw or what?! Now last hope is iOS 5. Maybe that'll bring a speedier touch.

kxbcvoi
Oct 4, 2011, 06:28 PM
I am glad I bought iPod touch last year.

Fresh Tendrils
Oct 4, 2011, 06:37 PM
The NZ prices have improved a lot, shockingly they're better than the American prices now (US$189/281/379). Time for me to grab a 64 gig, I think :)

Yeah, your right the prices have dropped substantially [though I think your currency conversions are wrong]. 32GB was NZ$500, now its NZ$430. I think the 64GB has dropped about the same amount. I think the reductions are probably readjustments based upon changes to the exchange rate. It would be interesting to know from any Aussies what kind of price drops they had, because I remember a few Aussies recently complaining about prices being far too high considering the strength of the Aus$ against the US$.

Thanatoast
Oct 4, 2011, 07:18 PM

How hard would it have been to put a usable camera and a better chip in there? Or at least bump the memory on the base model to 16GB. I love my iPod touch 4G, but the camera on it is total crap. I don't understand why Apple continues to have the iPod touch be treated like a 2nd class citizen. Who honestly thinks people would skip out on buying an iPhone if the iPod touch had a similar camera and processor?

If they bumped the specs they'd also have to bump the price. An unlocked iPhone is around $600. Nobody's gonna buy a iPod, even a really neat one, for that much.

Eidorian
Oct 4, 2011, 07:19 PM
Get an iPhone 4?Has anyone determined how much the 8 GB model is without a contract?

Danoc
Oct 4, 2011, 07:44 PM
You're all ultimately criticizing Apple for the new ipod touch, but where are the competitors? Zune is dead.

iOS is by far the best operating system on small devices like this. I am not talking about smartphone.

MacIke
Oct 4, 2011, 07:58 PM
This pissed offness of (lack of) update seems to be the camera.

If they had just gone to a 4MP or even a 2MP camera, I would buy two of them without questions.

I do not want to pay for the data plan. I want an iPod Touch with some teeth.

Nermal
Oct 4, 2011, 08:52 PM
Yeah, your right the prices have dropped substantially [though I think your currency conversions are wrong].

The US prices exclude tax so I converted the NZ prices excluding GST.

MacsAre1
Oct 4, 2011, 11:13 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; ru-ru) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Heck with gaming, my touch is struggling with most basic tasks. Dont know if this is sw or what?! Now last hope is iOS 5. Maybe that'll bring a speedier touch.

What generation do you have that's running slow? I sold my first gen and am selling my iPhone 3G because they're too slow. I want to get a new iPod Touch but need something with updated hardware so Apple won't drop support on their next OS update like they have all their other devices. In my experience, major iOS updates = slower devices.

Johnnyboy711
Oct 4, 2011, 11:15 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

Im very dissapointed with Apple, at least include a better camera, i mean isnt that a given? Wow, apple did nothing all year when it came to ipods, im not buying the iphone, guess ill just wait till next year to buy the ipt, this sucks

coldpower27
Oct 4, 2011, 11:15 PM
The Samsung Galaxy Players will be coming in soon with similar specs to the iPod Touch.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20111904-1/samsung-prices-galaxy-player-4.0-and-5.0/

Bigger screens but lower resolutions.. expandable memory though...

paintblock
Oct 5, 2011, 12:26 AM
I'm just glad they didn't add an "s": I would have been so pissed.

TonyBarber573
Oct 5, 2011, 01:51 AM
So, it's pretty sweet feature that the volume up button on the iPhone 4 with iOS 5 will also double as a shutter button for the camera.

Does anyone know if this will be true for the iPod Touch as well with iOS 5?

ade2bee
Oct 5, 2011, 02:33 AM
Is it me or is Apple just taking the chance, whilst it can, to take a breath and claw back some of it's development investment back. Remember, no-major upgrade + high sales = big profits.

The touch needs a really good camera, but as one Apple Store employee said, they want to keep the phone as the premium article... Foolish.

The iPT as created a whole little eco-sphere of it's own and Apple could & should take advantage of that, instead of treat them as 'you can't afford an iPhone, nah-nah-ne-nah-nah!'

Yet again a bad move...

----------

Get an iPhone 4?

Q: What sort of comment is that?! A: very arrogant one from someone in a financial position to make it!

I hope Samsung have the sense to make a player version of their Galaxy... Oh but Apple will hit them with a patent

----------

As I said in a reply earlier but I'll EXPAND...

I hope Samsung have the sense to make a player version of their Galaxy... Oh but Apple will hit them with a patent issue

This is where the patents affect the customer and not just the competition keeping us in our place too

----------

You're all ultimately criticizing Apple for the new ipod touch, but where are the competitors? Zune is dead.

iOS is by far the best operating system on small devices like this. I am not talking about smartphone.

I really hope Samsung have the sense to make a player version of their Galaxy... Oh but Apple will hit them with a patent issue

This is where the patents affect the customer and not just the competition keeping us in our place too

mrklaw
Oct 5, 2011, 05:03 AM
very disappointed in no spec increase or price drop (I don't count the 8GB, too little memory and they're just pricing it low to get a headline)

Keep prices the same if you increase your specs (A5 please) or keep the specs and drop the prices.

Too big a jump between 8GB and 32GB, 32GB is too expensive (Ģ250 still in the UK) and its already out of date techwise - as soon as games start taking advantage of the A5 in the ipad2 and iphone 4S you'll be left out.

Just dumb IMO. I still have a 2nd gen and was ready to update for wifi sync etc, but I'll wait it out

----------

Is it me or is Apple just taking the chance, whilst it can, to take a breath and claw back some of it's development investment back. Remember, no-major upgrade + high sales = big profits.

I think its just you. They don't need to claw back anything, they make some of the highest margins on consumer electronics in the world.

caspersoong
Oct 5, 2011, 05:42 AM
I think there is no A5 in it. The tech specs do not list 1080p h.264 playback, only 720p unlike iPad 2 and iPhone 4S. I am quite disappointed.

lesiu
Oct 5, 2011, 09:25 AM
seems like apple is abandoning innovation after dominating a market ..

+1 Kindle Fire

LeiQQ
Oct 5, 2011, 12:23 PM
That's the biggest thing I'd like to see in a touch. The phone now has more memory and the better processor, seems dumb not to include that in the touch. I assume that means it can't use Siri either.

The touch has been competitive but now that Amazon is offering the Fire, that's looking pretty good at that price point - a decent Touch improvement could have made it more appealing but now it seems like Apple is slacking off on this one.

When I saw the $199 price I thought the same exact thing. I mean there is no upgrade at all there. I am thinking if there is someone that got an iPhone 4 already but they could have some features of the iPhone that could be hooked into a new iPod touch, some people would buy it. I really think in the future if there is a 3G iPod touch that a lot of people will just give up on a phone all together. I think of how little I use my phone for actual phone calls.

zap2
Oct 5, 2011, 01:58 PM
Wish we could have gotten an iPod 5th Gen with A5, better camera and 128GB of storage, but honestly, I'm not torn up by the current iPod touch for 199 is a solid device, and storage isn't as important as it used to be, although I'd take 16GB on the 199 model.

I've recently switched to Spotify for my music, so I can't really buy a shuffle, nano or classic, and 199 for a touch makes it at a price where I can pick one up to hold me over until I get the iPhone 4S this december.

charlieroberts
Oct 5, 2011, 02:10 PM
I think whoever said to just buy an iPhone 4 didn't mean it in a derogative way.
YOu can get them pretty cheap on ebay from all the anxious upgraders. And then just use it like an iPT.

I think that sound pretty good to me. Besides, pretty much everyone treated their iPhone like a spoiled baby, so they are bound to be in pretty mint condition.

So, yeah, I suggest anyone who is not happy, just get an iPhone4! Thatīs what I'm doing anyway.

zap2
Oct 5, 2011, 04:43 PM
How is there not a 16 GB ipod touch? 8 GB is so small, even just for music.

By the looks of this "update" Apple will probably be killing off the ipod touch in a couple of years.

With iCloud coming into the picture, I think 8GB is more and more do able. With iCloud, Netflix and Spotify, I won't need to have any large amount of music saved to my iPod.

I'd certainly take a 16GB iPod touch, but I think a low end iPod touch for the lowest price possible has a nice spot in Apple line up with the cloud being pushed as hard as it is.

Saturn007
Oct 6, 2011, 06:05 AM
How does one find a truly reputable seller on eBay--and know that the iPhone 4 has not been abused?

I'm particularly concerned about battery life... it'd be all too easy to buy a used one and discover someone had used it up!

I think whoever said to just buy an iPhone 4 didn't mean it in a derogative way.
YOu can get them pretty cheap on ebay from all the anxious upgraders. And then just use it like an iPT.

Illumination
Oct 9, 2011, 12:48 PM
Has anyone determined how much the 8 GB model is without a contract?
I think it's $549.

I was going to get a white iPod touch this year, but I was hoping for a better camera and a 16GB option. I think I'll pass this one up though and get another iPod classic instead.

Eidorian
Oct 9, 2011, 01:19 PM
I think it's $549.

I was going to get a white iPod touch this year, but I was hoping for a better camera and a 16GB option. I think I'll pass this one up though and get another iPod classic instead.I saw that price a few days ago. Crazy! I can get two of my current phone for that price.

Illumination
Oct 9, 2011, 02:21 PM
I saw that price a few days ago. Crazy! I can get two of my current phone for that price.
Yeah, the advantages it does have over the iPod touch are not worth that kind of money. Especially for only 8 GB.

8 GB iPod touch for $199 vs. 8 GB Kindle Fire for $199

I think the choice is obvious.

LarryC
Oct 10, 2011, 12:26 AM
I have been a fan of the Macintosh and some of the other Apple products since my 500MHz iMac G3. But I have grown tired of paying the Apple premium for their products. And regardless what some might say, I'm tired of the abuse and the exorbitant pricing schemes. It seems like you need to add the price of a tube of KY Jelly when buying an Apple product these days. And really, to be honest, it has been that way for a long time. They charge too much and what you often get are specs and hardware that are oftentimes a year or more behind. And I am pretty much just done with that. My next electronics purchase at this point will probably be that new kindle or maybe even the Samsung version of the iPod Touch. Supporting Apple used to be the cool thing to do because for one thing, they were the smaller company facing the corporate big guy named Microsoft. And sadly, Apple has now become Microsoft. And what is even more sad is that for Steve to ultimately triumph over Bill Gates, he kind of had to become like him in order to do so. Maybe there is a lesson in that for everyone :(

Jamie0003
Oct 10, 2011, 02:10 PM
Have a look at this; it appears Apple have added the retina display to the iPod Touch: http://www.apple.com/uk/ipodtouch/

Is this the same one as on the iPhone? I know the display of the 4th gen touch wasn't as good.

Eidorian
Oct 10, 2011, 02:33 PM
Have a look at this; it appears Apple have added the retina display to the iPod Touch: http://www.apple.com/uk/ipodtouch/

Is this the same one as on the iPhone? I know the display of the 4th gen touch wasn't as good.It was the same resolution. It was TN vs. IPS though.

skinned66
Oct 10, 2011, 02:43 PM
Who was the idiot that ordered 5 fairly cheap cases for the 4 GSM off eBay in the last 2 weeks that are now useless? Me, that's who.

----------

Has anyone determined how much the 8 GB model is without a contract?

$549 unlocked here in Canada.

xStep
Oct 10, 2011, 03:05 PM

Is this the same one as on the iPhone? I know the display of the 4th gen touch wasn't as good.

It was the same resolution. It was TN vs. IPS though.

The retina display was included last year. As Eidorian mentioned, just a bit different tech. I haven't seen any specs that say the 'new' iPod touch has changed screen technology.

Illumination
Oct 11, 2011, 12:12 AM
What generation do you have that's running slow? I sold my first gen and am selling my iPhone 3G because they're too slow. I want to get a new iPod Touch but need something with updated hardware so Apple won't drop support on their next OS update like they have all their other devices. In my experience, major iOS updates = slower devices.

This reminds me of when I bought the 2nd generation iPod touch in May 2010 new from Apple. Little did I know it was an almost two year old device at the time and would be updated a few months later. By November, iOS support had stopped, and everything became slower and slower and slower. I should have sold it then, but I'm going to sell it now thankfully.

iMrNiceGuy0023
Oct 11, 2011, 09:44 AM
so are these considered a 5th gen iPod touch? If so im looking to get a 4th gen on clearance or on sale

xStep
Oct 11, 2011, 02:43 PM
so are these considered a 5th gen ipod touch? If so im looking to get a 4th gen on clearance or on sale

LOL! :d

Eidorian
Oct 11, 2011, 06:37 PM
so are these considered a 5th gen iPod touch? If so im looking to get a 4th gen on clearance or on saleI guess we will know when the spec pages (http://support.apple.com/specs/) are updated. Otherwise you are better off getting a 4th Gen for a lower price.

Illumination
Oct 11, 2011, 06:56 PM
I think it's still 4th generation - isn't its designation in iOS 5 "4,2" instead of "5,1" or something like that?

Saturn007
Oct 13, 2011, 11:43 AM
iPod Touch 2G here. Would have bought last year had the IPT included a decent camera.

Would have bought one this year had the IPT included a decent camera. Apple, get the pattern?

As it is, best bet is a used iPhone 4. Look for one on ebay. In response to my own post earlier in the thread (how can you be sure it's a good quality one and a good seller?), make sure that

1) The seller has all positive ratings and plenty of them.

2) Has recently sold things for several hundred dollars and gotten favorable reviews. (You don't want to be snared by someone who sells a bunch of little things, then gets 50-100 people to spend $350 on an non-existent iPhone 4.)

3) Get one that is still under Apple Care. There are a number being sold that fall in that category.

4) Only look at sales that included a return guarantee.

That's the solution folks. If Apple were smart, they'd sell the unlocked versions for about $100 less. I would rather give them my money, but when it's several hundred dollars, a used iPhone 4 makes a smart upgrade, especially to a camera-less iPod Touch!

mattlol
Oct 16, 2011, 06:34 AM

#firstworldproblems

the '2nd class citizen' bit was particularly funny.

thenerdal
Oct 16, 2011, 03:06 PM
It's still the 4th generation iPod Touch. I'm sure of it. Wikipedia doesn't state a 5th generation iPod Touch.

tablo13
Oct 16, 2011, 07:05 PM
It's still the 4th generation iPod Touch. I'm sure of it. Wikipedia doesn't state a 5th generation iPod Touch.

Apple doesn't say anything about fifth generation either.

Eidorian
Oct 16, 2011, 07:49 PM
Apple doesn't say anything about fifth generation either.Still no update on the Apple specs. I would have to head to an Apple Store (unlikely) and check what model numbers the hardware there reports. Not that anyone could not just "Price Drop!" the old models, I saw the 8 GB 4G at Target with a simple notice.

BlizzardBolt
Feb 21, 2012, 12:07 AM
It is so sad that Apple didn't update the touch line.

The camera is downright horrible at 0.7MP

MythicFrost
Feb 21, 2012, 12:34 AM
They probably will at some point. It's pretty clear why though, the iPod touch at its current design would simply get too hot. When gaming, my 4S gets pretty hot and it's nearly twice as think as an iPod touch. It's unlikely they'll do an update until they can put a new SoC in it.