PDA

View Full Version : Siri Voice Recognition Arrives On the iPhone 4S

MacRumors
Oct 4, 2011, 01:36 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/04/siri-voice-recognition-arrives-on-the-iphone-4s/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/10/31420068-1353-486b-9ea3-2967eb6efbed-500x331.jpg

Voice recognition and control was revealed as Apple's surprise feature for the iPhone 4S. The technology, which Apple acquired in its acquisition of Siri, is now built into iOS 5 and supported on the iPhone 4S.
For decades technologists have teased us with this dream that we can talk to our technology. But it's never come true! It's such a let-down! What we really want to do is just talk to our device!In the demo, Apple's Scott Forstall asked Siri "What's the weather like today?" and received the forecast. "Find me a great Greek restaurant in Palo Alto." "I've found 14 Greek restaurants... 5 of them are in Palo Alto. I've sorted them by rating." Forstall says "I've been in the AI field a long time. This blows me away." Siri can also return Wikipedia and Wolfram Alpha searches, or return word definitions.

In addition to following voice instructions, Siri can also read your messages to you, straight from the notification queue, hands-free.
Compose and dictate email right to Siri. Set timers. Look up contacts, create notes, search the web, search Wikipedia. It's absolutely blow-away. Well, who is Siri? Just ask!" Siri: "I am a humble personal assistant."

Siri does dictation -- now whenever you see a keyboard, you'll see a microphone. Talk to Siri, tap done, and in the blink of an eye it comes back with your text. Speak with your natural language.This Is My Next (http://live.thisismynext.com/Event/Apple_iPhone_5_event_live_blog), commenting on the Siri demonstration, is impressed: "the tech is pretty amazing -- Siri will follow along with your actions and understand context. Still, Scott has to talk to the machine slowly, like you would to a child or a foreign language speaker."

Siri includes support for English, French, and German -- in beta. "It will be beta at the start; by beta we mean we'll add more languages and services over time."

Article Link: Siri Voice Recognition Arrives On the iPhone 4S (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/04/siri-voice-recognition-arrives-on-the-iphone-4s/)

jamesr19
Oct 4, 2011, 01:41 PM
this looks really good, shame it seems to be limited to the iPhone 4S hardware!!

DESNOS
Oct 4, 2011, 01:42 PM
I don't understand how they justify claiming this only works on the iPhone 4S... This may be a feature worth jailbreaking to get, if it really works as well as they claim. I'm betting Siri got a little bit of training behind the scenes before they went up on stage with it, but it's still impressive nonetheless.

phalseHUD
Oct 4, 2011, 01:45 PM
What an awesome feature. Just bought an iPhone4 so will promptly returning it for the new one. Can't miss out on this feature!

gmans46
Oct 4, 2011, 01:46 PM
it makes me angry that they throw that in and only on the 4s so that its worth upgrading because honestly nothing else is. either way I'm sure it'll be jailbroken somehow and ill do that for once I'm unimpressed with the upgrade

bushido
Oct 4, 2011, 01:46 PM
i hope there will be a jailbreak to get it ^^

BlueParadox
Oct 4, 2011, 01:47 PM
this looks really good, shame it seems to be limited to the iPhone 4S hardware!!
:confused:

hamis92
Oct 4, 2011, 01:49 PM
I'm with others on this, very disappointed to see Siri being an iPhone 4S-only feature. It may very well become available to us who have iPhone 4 through jailbreak because when you think about it, there shouldn't be anything about the new hardware that makes Siri require an iPhone 4S to run.

craig1410
Oct 4, 2011, 01:50 PM
Has anyone seen anything to confirm this won't work on the iPhone 4 or is that just an assumption? I really hope there is some way to get this working on iPhone 4 - it looks fantastic!

(crosses fingers, toes, arms, legs, eyes...)

0x000000
Oct 4, 2011, 01:50 PM
This is siriously underwhelming. They didn't even bother renaming it! What have they been doing all those months? The stock is plummeting and all I can say is: well deserved.

ANDI54
Oct 4, 2011, 01:51 PM
No surprises this time...
...16 months wait for an antenna that works, no redesign & a crap gimmick you can only use when it's silent around you...
Goodbye crapple...i'm pretty disgusted & feeling let down, but not surprised at all...
Fanboys are so loyal and apple just p*ss on them every time because they know they can...

snowmoon
Oct 4, 2011, 01:54 PM
I know dictation requires internet, does Siri require internet as well or can it operate independently?

Yamcha
Oct 4, 2011, 01:56 PM
Agree, this was very disappointing..

arlo19
Oct 4, 2011, 02:00 PM
Absolutely amazing feature. Apple continues to revolutionize the way we interact with technology. Thumbs up, folks!

Shrink
Oct 4, 2011, 02:09 PM

Reason: To sell iPhone4S's :D

jmgregory1
Oct 4, 2011, 02:11 PM
Yes, start by taking a hammer to any and all Apple hardware you now own - they purposely let everyone down by not introducing a new design iPhone with a bigger screen and super duper faster processor and 4G speed and and and.

Very odd that people have such strange expectations - if you want a bigger screen, either buy an android phone or try to get a job at Apple as a industrial designer or product manager and make the suggestion for a bigger screen.

I'm pretty sure Apple has looked at just about every aspect of every possible spec for a smart phone. They chose what they chose for reasons they don't necessarily need to explain to you or anyone for that matter.

You don't know and don't think big picture (not big screen) the way that Apple does. If all you care about is specs, please go get yourself any other manufacturers phone and enjoy you got the spec you wanted.

And for those people who say voice control is available already - it's not in the same integrated way just introduced by Apple.

Aviboy97
Oct 4, 2011, 02:11 PM
Do I understand this correctly, SIRI Voice Recognition is only available on the 4S?

ade2bee
Oct 4, 2011, 02:14 PM
it makes me angry that they throw that in and only on the 4s so that its worth upgrading because honestly nothing else is. either way I'm sure it'll be jailbroken somehow and ill do that for once I'm unimpressed with the upgrade

Josh Lowensohn CNET: Schiller back up, running down the features:

"natural language, conversational, contextual, personal, works with built-in apps, dictation everywhere, works on 3G + iPhone"

With iPhone 4S works with english, french and German. That's in the Beta. Adding more languages and services as it goes.

bgcat57
Oct 4, 2011, 02:17 PM
Arriving on the 4S?!?

How is this different than the SIRI app I've had on my phone for well over a year? First on the 3GS, then after the iPhone 4 came out in 2010, on that as well, with voice recognition.

The only difference is that instead of adding it for free from the App Store, it's already there.

gmans46
Oct 4, 2011, 02:22 PM
Josh Lowensohn CNET: Schiller back up, running down the features:

"natural language, conversational, contextual, personal, works with built-in apps, dictation everywhere, works on 3G + iPhone"

With iPhone 4S works with english, french and German. That's in the Beta. Adding more languages and services as it goes.

so your saying it'll work on the 4?

----------

Arriving on the 4S?!?

How is this different than the SIRI app I've had on my phone for well over a year? First on the 3GS, then after the iPhone 4 came out in 2010, on that as well, with voice recognition.

The only difference is that instead of adding it for free from the App Store, it's already there.

what app is that exactly?

generationxwing
Oct 4, 2011, 02:22 PM
This is siriously underwhelming. They didn't even bother renaming it! What have they been doing all those months? The stock is plummeting and all I can say is: well deserved.

Well, this about sums it up correctly. If an Apple nerd hates it, it'll be a hit in the market.

People around here hated the iPod, hated the iPad and just about every other product Apple releases.

milo
Oct 4, 2011, 02:23 PM
How is this different than the SIRI app I've had on my phone for well over a year?

The difference is that the version you have is much more limited, they had to make compromises due to not having enough processing power to run the full version that's on the 4S. There was an MR post about it a few days back, you can go back and read the details there.

So will Siri run on the iPad 2 since it has the same processor and memory?

generationxwing
Oct 4, 2011, 02:25 PM
Agree, this was very disappointing..

How? How on Earth was any of this disappointing? The rumour mill comes up with the most impossible products every year, and every year what you dream of never happens. Every single year! My God, if you haven't learned by now there is no hope for you.

neilford
Oct 4, 2011, 02:26 PM
Also, my copy no longer works. Is this app dead now for those who don't have an iphone 4s? :-(

marksman
Oct 4, 2011, 02:27 PM
Seems to work very similar to how I expected and to the examples I was using yesterday.

Very interested in trying this out. Several different examples of things in the demo I felt would be very good uses of the device, especially when I just want to check something very quickly. Just having to ask for it would be a much quicker and less burdensome way for those kinds of interactions.

chrmjenkins
Oct 4, 2011, 02:27 PM
Very disappointing they didn't add voice guided navigation along with this.

AppleMad98004
Oct 4, 2011, 02:28 PM
I believe it is 4S ONLY. In fact it was not in the iOS5 part of the presentation but the iPhone 4S part. I don't see it in the builds of iOS5. Therefore it must be a hardware A5/software combo limited to the new hardware.

marksman
Oct 4, 2011, 02:28 PM
Has anyone seen anything to confirm this won't work on the iPhone 4 or is that just an assumption? I really hope there is some way to get this working on iPhone 4 - it looks fantastic!

(crosses fingers, toes, arms, legs, eyes...)

They specifically touted it as a feature of the iPhone 4S, so I do not think it will work on the regular iPhone.

It may even involve some hardware off-processing that would make it unlikely to work just as a jailbreak.

ayale99
Oct 4, 2011, 02:29 PM
If you're not getting the 4S, just use the ChaCha (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chacha/id331370344?mt=8) iPhone app to answer your questions! It just got updated today!

Download it here. (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chacha/id331370344?mt=8)

snowmoon
Oct 4, 2011, 02:29 PM
Siri is available in Beta only on iPhone 4S and requires Internet access. Siri may not be available in all languages or in all areas, and features may vary by area. Cellular data charges may apply.

For a hyped feature that is quite the disclaimer.

:(

BornAgainMac
Oct 4, 2011, 02:30 PM
In two weeks, people will calm down. This is normal after every keynote ever made.

anberlinairlift
Oct 4, 2011, 02:31 PM
Sadly, this feature doesn't make me as excited as, say, the new camera system. I just don't see me using it very often. I haven't once used the iPhone 4's Voice Control, just never found it necessary.

I'm jealous of the new camera and processor though! Maybe next time I get an iPhone I'll wait for the "iPhone 5S" to come out so I can take advantage of the beefed-up version.

djepsilon
Oct 4, 2011, 02:32 PM
it makes me angry that they throw that in and only on the 4s so that its worth upgrading because honestly nothing else is.

That is EXACTLY why they do it genius. :rolleyes:

TImm3h
Oct 4, 2011, 02:32 PM
Not shown on the canadian apple site.... wtf..

Xian Zhu Xuande
Oct 4, 2011, 02:34 PM
For a hyped feature that is quite the disclaimer.

:(
What were you expecting? For Siri to reference Wolfram Alpha without an internet connection? Or for Siri to get up-to-date information on anything without access to some kind of internet connection? It seems pretty boilerplate to me, aside from the Beta reference. That's probably just Apple's way of saying, "Look, we're going to keep working hard to make this program even more enjoyable to use, so expect hiccups you encounter to be smoothed out with time."

That is EXACTLY why they do it genius. :rolleyes:
Usually when Apple leaves out a feature there is a good reason for it, and it takes a while for that to become apparent. People whined like children when backgrounds weren't available in older iOS devices until jailbreaking revealed that it resulted in poor animation (unless sacrifices were made). People still whined, though. Apple cares more about the experience.

I expect the jailbreaking community will enable Siri on older iOS devices, and then we'll see if this really is a marketing stunt. If it runs like silk on an iPhone 4 I'll be with everyone in crying foul.

DavidLeblond
Oct 4, 2011, 02:37 PM
iPhone 4S only? BS, the Siri app works just fine!!

Oh wait, nevermind.

Zilkerparke
Oct 4, 2011, 02:40 PM
Accidental double post.

snowmoon
Oct 4, 2011, 02:41 PM
What were you expecting? For Siri to reference Wolfram Alpha without an internet connection? Or for Siri to get up-to-date information on anything without access to some kind of internet connection? It seems pretty boilerplate to me, aside from the Beta reference.

Most of what I would like it to do would be to work on calendars, alarms, and sms all of which can operate without a data connection. It's not like I expected some magic pixie dust to find these answers, but I would have liked purely internal things to "just work" if I have cell data turned off ( and it would be nice to know how data hungry something like this truly is for those of us who pay by the MB ).

Zilkerparke
Oct 4, 2011, 02:41 PM
Absolutely amazing feature. Apple continues to revolutionize the way we interact with technology. Thumbs up, folks!

How on earth is this a revolutionary feature? You do realize we have had voice control on our phones for years now right? This is literally the definition of a gimmick, it will be interesting for about the first 5 minutes, then you will go back to doing things the way you did before because it is much quicker.

Regardless of the efficiency of the Siri system there is still a chance that it could get your voice command wrong, thus causing you a 5-10 second delay in whatever process you were trying to perform. This in itself is enough to deter me from ever using it, not that I can on my now (somehow) outdated iPhone4.

Please :apple:, stock drop well deserved.

swarmster
Oct 4, 2011, 02:42 PM
So Siri might be 4S only, but what about plain old text message dictation? Is that keyboard button only on the 4S?

samcraig
Oct 4, 2011, 02:46 PM
Seems to work very similar to how I expected and to the examples I was using yesterday.

Very interested in trying this out. Several different examples of things in the demo I felt would be very good uses of the device, especially when I just want to check something very quickly. Just having to ask for it would be a much quicker and less burdensome way for those kinds of interactions.

What? No - it works very LITTLE like you kept insisting. It doesn't "multitask" requests. It's for single requests.

sanford
Oct 4, 2011, 02:46 PM
No, we're saying it CAN work on the iPhone 3GS and the 4. It's a 3GS and 4 App Store app. But from now on, however, it WON'T work on anything but the 4S, because they're shipping a 4S-specific beta version and the Siri app is gone from the app store.

Hate the 4 form factor. Bad fit for my hand. Had to go back to my 3GS when my 4 was stolen. Was hoping for a new form factor with curved back to be announced.

Took my Canon SLR on a trip this past weekend and was reminded of what it means to use a lens thicker than a yak hair. Not that the 4S camera upgrade isn't nice, but it still has the optics of a phone camera. Don't do any serious video that requires anything more than the Canon or my 3GS can do.

On metered data I couldn't care less about 4G/LTE or whatever. Can do w/o Siri, though it's cool.

Sticking with my 3GS for now. Will I buy a 4S when my contract subsidy recycles Nov. 1? Oh, probably not. Will I eventually crater and buy a 4S within a few months. Oh, probably yes. ;-)

----------

mdelvecchio
Oct 4, 2011, 02:47 PM
Most of what I would like it to do would be to work on calendars, alarms, and sms all of which can operate without a data connection. It's not like I expected some magic pixie dust to find these answers, but I would have liked purely internal things to "just work" if I have cell data turned off ( and it would be nice to know how data hungry something like this truly is for those of us who pay by the MB ).

so, youve used the product and youre certain it cant do local tasks sans internet?

Lukkee24
Oct 4, 2011, 02:48 PM
If Siri will work on the iPhone 4S, then I don't see why it shouldn't work on the iPad 2 :confused:.

randomrazr
Oct 4, 2011, 02:50 PM
will this work on iphone 4?

Lukkee24
Oct 4, 2011, 02:52 PM
"Siri is available in Beta only on iPhone 4S"

Small White Car
Oct 4, 2011, 02:53 PM
I can't wait to see all the iPhone 4 users jailbreak to get Siri and then complain like a beast when it burns up their battery running the A4 chip super hard.

But sure, have fun pretending that the A4 and the A5 are "basically just the same thing."

akuma13
Oct 4, 2011, 02:54 PM
If Siri will work on the iPhone 4S, then I don't see why it shouldn't work on the iPad 2 :confused:.

I agree, the iPad 2 is similar to the iPhone 4S processor-wise. Why is it not available for the iPad?

ANDI54
Just ordered my White SGS2 happily which is being delivered. Sick of being spoon-fed this BS every year by Apple, I was just holding out to see if they came up a "Killer iPhone" but instead I'll go for the "iPhone Killer"...

billchase2
Looks like the iOS Siri app will stop working on the 15th... http://twitpic.com/6v6gal

AtariMac
Oct 4, 2011, 02:55 PM
...16 months wait for an antenna that works, no redesign & a crap gimmick you can only use when it's silent around you...
Goodbye crapple...i'm pretty disgusted & feeling let down, but not surprised at all...
Fanboys are so loyal and apple just p*ss on them every time because they know they can...

Your sense of entitlement is refreshing! I know Apple owed it to you to provide you with exactly what you imagined! I cannot believe they screwed you like this!

Dude, go get some fresh air. You may find it, um, refreshing.

samcraig
Oct 4, 2011, 02:56 PM
Looks like the iOS Siri app will stop working on the 15th... http://twitpic.com/6v6gal

That's too bad - I am sure it's because they don't want to use the servers anymore for the free app when they can "force" people to upgrade to use a similar product.

I put "force" in quotes as to relay that no one is forcing anyone to upgrade in reality.

pjhamill
Oct 4, 2011, 02:59 PM

Apparently it requires 1GB of ram.

RyanRKips
Oct 4, 2011, 03:01 PM
Talk about a joke. If Siri isn't available for current iPhone 4 users that will be the biggest load of horse shi* ever.

campingsk8er
Oct 4, 2011, 03:05 PM
I honestly don't know why all you crybabies are complaining. The made an excellent phone even more excellent. Or are you just upset that Steve Jobs didn't announce it, or the fact that there wasn't one more thing. I'm glad there wasn't one more thing because then you would all say, Tim is a copy cat. It seems apple can never please any of you. Well I was pleased

shurcooL
Oct 4, 2011, 03:07 PM
They don't even list the secondary mic at the top for noise cancellation in the tech specs anymore. =(

That was my favourite feature of iPhone 4. It's still there, but no one cares about it now. It makes me sad. :(

Zimmy68
Oct 4, 2011, 03:10 PM
What's this "Beta" stuff?

Is it ready or not?

Spooner83
Oct 4, 2011, 03:11 PM
Siri, can you tell me when the iPhone 5 is coming?

SirChadwick
Oct 4, 2011, 03:11 PM
Voice recognition and tracking telling me where and when I should be is flirting with the creepy side of making my life easier.

spacemanspifff
Oct 4, 2011, 03:14 PM
So what's the S stand for - well it's brown and smelly and comes out of your 4SS!

jpolk
Oct 4, 2011, 03:16 PM
Well this is kind of silly. Siri worked perfectly well on my iPod Touch 4G for a year and my 3G with a mic attached for another. So as of the 15th it will be disabled and only work on the iPhone 4S. Apple really blew it on this one. Except for the Sprint announcement it was a total non-event. What a disappointment. I feel bad for Tim Cook - he was sort of given a real turkey of an event to host.

iRumored
Oct 4, 2011, 03:16 PM
I am curious to see how 'snappy' this new device is going to be. The old iPhone 4 had a fraction of the hardware that other Android phones had and the iPhone absolutely destroyed them in comparison with how swiftly and smooth it opened apps/pages/flipping through pictures/etc.. And now with this updated speed, it looks awesome.

I personally am GLAD that it doesn't have 4G/LTE capabilities. I was scared to death that it was because the battery life would have seriously sucked. It's nice that they've made speed improvements with the same network, and honestly, where do you go besides a train/plane/car that DOESN'T have WiFi accessibility? Every one of my friends houses, every sports bar, practically everywhere has free WiFi now.

Even limited area WiFi is > than a 4G/LTE network.

As far as the camera goes, cool. That's all I have to say about that. They talked about the speed at which you could take consecutive pictures and I found it sort of pointless because different cameras you could download in the appstore (camera+) allowed you to take pictures way way faster than the original one.

New 64GB option is cool, but.. Eh.. It'd be nicer if they made the 32GB as standard to help 'justify' the 16 month wait and make the 64GB the $299 option.

The Siri Recognition looks great.. I eat my words when I say I disliked it when it was just speculation. Looks like it will eliminate the need to download vast amounts of apps to do the same things (that is, if they're ran independently and don't rely on each other) which means, cleaner iPhone.

After all, think about what you're asking for.. You wanted a new design with a bigger screen? What about the people who don't want that? It is inevitable that you can't make everyone happy. What it comes down to is this new phone justifiable or not? Then again, that comes down to personal opinion.

What would make you dislike it so much? Why would you feel cheated? What other phone can do what this one can? Shoot, I say that the iPhone 4 is still better than any new Android phone out and even knowingly COMING out. The 4S I am sure will obliterate it. I am not speaking as a "fanboy".. I don't currently own any Apple products; even though, they do interest me.

My question is this: What do other phones have that you want that the iPhone doesn't have? A bigger screen? Really? Not that I think there was anything wrong with the iPhone 4, I don't see the need for current iPhone 4 owners to upgrade really.. They'll be getting the new OS.

I still haven't picked through and seen if it indeed is a fact that the new Siri Recognition is only available to the 4S, if so.. That is my biggest head shaker. Because, I think it's not fair to use that as a means to promote sales by shafting the current iPhone 4 owners.. Just my thoughts..

HelveticaNeue
Oct 4, 2011, 03:20 PM
Looks like Canada isn't invited to the Siri party! All info on Siri is curiously absent on the Canadian page. US, UK and France all display it, but not in Canada!

Dickie
Oct 4, 2011, 03:22 PM
Whilst I get the funky-ness of this feature, I can't see it making any lasting impression on people. Its bad enough listening to people talk wandering about in public, without them having to verbalize every single thing they're doing on the phone.

Nice feature - yes. Game changer - no.

northernbaldy
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

LoL there are some world class dumb ass comments in this thread

jokemjokester
but can it understand my accent :rolleyes:

maturola
Oct 4, 2011, 03:23 PM
How? How on Earth was any of this disappointing? The rumour mill comes up with the most impossible products every year, and every year what you dream of never happens. Every single year! My God, if you haven't learned by now there is no hope for you.

Rumors were not impossible, they are the industry standard, most Phone out there got those features, taking this long for a small bump in Spec is a slap in the face. The greatest feature is Siri which it wasn't even an Apple product they just acquired it no long ago and it is software based.

For once I am happy to see that there is windows for other companies to take advantage and take the lead on the industry, this way my dependency on iOS will decrease.

Newton70
Oct 4, 2011, 03:27 PM
I like the fact that it can establish a geo-fence and remind you of a task (which I often forget). However, turning on location services on my iPhone kills battery life.

KPOM
Oct 4, 2011, 03:28 PM
Rumors were not impossible, they are the industry standard, most Phone out there got those features, taking this long for a small bump in Spec is a slap in the face. The greatest feature is Siri which it wasn't even an Apple product they just acquired it no long ago and it is software based.

For once I am happy to see that there is windows for other companies to take advantage and take the lead on the industry, this way my dependency on iOS will decrease.

For now, there isn't much more they can do for the hardware. Would you prefer the Nexus Prime and its rumored 4.5" screen with a lower resolution than the iPhone? How about an LTE phone that works in 5 cities but drains your battery faster in all of them?

They will come in time, probably with the next model. Siri is a big deal. Doubling the RAM and processor speed aren't "small bumps" in specs. They will likely match the Nexus Prime that is released next week.

Bubba Satori
Oct 4, 2011, 03:31 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

LoL there are some world class dumb ass comments in this thread

Well, now that you mention it.

And in other news...
Maybe it's time for MacRumors to change it's name to LamePhoneRumors.

Hezzaa
Oct 4, 2011, 03:32 PM
Personally I think they should've called it AWESOM-O. Wonder if it gives u ideas for movies?

BulkHedd
Oct 4, 2011, 03:33 PM
A coworker tried her currently installed Siri app on her iPhone 4 today and it said something like "Soon I'll be in my new home on the new iPhone 4S. But I'll be here to help you until October 15th"

JS3
Oct 4, 2011, 03:34 PM
I think its kinda cool. But sucks its only on the 4S i really don't get that. Except to upgrade. Also i think my Navi in my car has been doing half these features with the same voice for about 3 years now.lol.

Goratrix
Siri is a big deal.

In english speaking countries. For the rest of the world, it's a non-feature. It seems to be available in German and French too, but I seriously doubt it will be as polished as in English. Not to mention all the other languages that are supposed to "come sometime in the future" (most of them never will).

ndpitch
If they could figure out a way to talk to Siri without having to hold the home button down first, I'd be sold.

Imagine if the iPhone was always listening in the background for a certain phrase that you could set up? It would be awesome if you could have Siri set up to listen for when you say "Hey Siri!". The phone would then wake up when it heard that, and ask you what you wanted.

That would have been super awesome.

JS3
Oct 4, 2011, 03:36 PM
If they could figure out a way to talk to Siri without having to hold the home button down first, I'd be sold.

Imagine if the iPhone was always listening in the background for a certain phrase that you could set up? It would be awesome if you could have Siri set up to listen for when you say "Hey Siri!". The phone would then wake up when it heard that, and ask you what you wanted.

I was so just thinking this like if you were in the shower. You could be like Hey siri text so and so running late. Would be awesome. Without pushing anything.

RoboCop001
Oct 4, 2011, 03:36 PM
Looks like Canada isn't invited to the Siri party! All info on Siri is curiously absent on the Canadian page. US, UK and France all display it, but not in Canada!

I just noticed that. That's so weird! I hope it's just a mistake.

Why wouldn't it be available in Canada?

LagunaSol
Oct 4, 2011, 03:37 PM
This is literally the definition of a gimmick, it will be interesting for about the first 5 minutes, then you will go back to doing things the way you did before because it is much quicker.

If this actually works as advertised, many things will be much quicker now than the way you did before.

AAPL bounced right back almost to where it started by the end of the day. :p

Consumers don't care about jiggahertzes and 6" phone screens. The iPhone 4S will sell like gangbusters and AAPL will continue to rise.

Crzyrio
Oct 4, 2011, 03:40 PM

Really? Your saying it was completely possible to take the thinnest smartphone and make it even thinner while at the same time tapering the bottom? Yeah right.

Apple kept to the industry standard and upped it with Siri integration.

Virance
Oct 4, 2011, 03:42 PM
I really, really hope I can communicate with Siri through my cars bluetooth (2012 Mustang with Ford Sync).

As long as you can use any bluetooth headset with it, I should be golden.

tripjammer
Oct 4, 2011, 03:45 PM
Siri in the Iphone 4S requires the Apple A5 chip and the 1 GB of ram. Its part of the OS on the new Iphone 4S.

Get over it...sell you old Iphone and get the Iphone 4S. Why is that so hard?

andreiru
Oct 4, 2011, 03:48 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; ru-ru) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

This is exciting, but only on s? Wtf, seriously? What about the iTouch, iPad, MacBook / Lion? They all have a mic, don't they?

Piggie
Oct 4, 2011, 03:49 PM
Siri.. A letter to john:

Hi John, I was thinking about what we talked about last night.
Ummm,
No, delete the work Ummm.
Ok, where was I?

No Delete the phrase "Ok, where was I"

So John, yes I would like to meet with you tomorrow.

Yes, dear I'd like a cup of coffee thanks.

DAM....!

Delete the phrase "yes dear I'd like a cop of coffee thanks"

djepsilon
I just noticed that. That's so weird! I hope it's just a mistake.

Why wouldn't it be available in Canada?

I just emailed Mr. Cook about the situation. I'm sure he will get back to me asap...

blacktape242
ONLY on the iphone4s?????????????

djepsilon
Oct 4, 2011, 03:51 PM
I really, really hope I can communicate with Siri through my cars bluetooth (2012 Mustang with Ford Sync).

Does voice control work with it currently? If not, then I think you might have your answer unfortunately.

RoboCop001
Oct 4, 2011, 03:52 PM
I just emailed Mr. Cook about the situation. I'm sure he will get back to me asap...

Maybe I should too lol.

I wonder how long it's supposed to be a "beta" for....

Mattdsm
Oct 4, 2011, 03:54 PM

It requires a faster processor (A5) as it will not run properly on the (A4). There was an article with the makers of Siri explaining that the biggest roadblock in the past was having a phone that could actually run it. This really shouldn't be much of a surprise considering how strict Apple is on the user experience...

REM314
Oct 4, 2011, 03:55 PM
Seems like a pretty cool phone. Probably still going to switch to Android though. Getting tired of the closed Apple ecosystem.

Mrcapone
Oct 4, 2011, 03:55 PM
So Apple annonced Siri in German too. Strange thing i just noticed is the Austrian Apple Website http://apple.at does not mention Siri at all. The German Apple Website does. I am wondering if Apple is not aware that people in Austria and Switzerland also speak German, or is siri really limited to some countries?

djrod
Oct 4, 2011, 03:56 PM
Not Siri for Spaniards? :mad:

viewfly
Oct 4, 2011, 03:58 PM
Will Siri disappear from the iPhone 4?

Opened Siri after the Apple event...it stated that it is moving to the iPhone 4S in Oct.

I really hope it stays on my iPhone 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I asked it ' do i need an umbrella today' and it replied, that there was a 50/50 chance of rain today, and gave more details.

Apple don't remove it and force the 4S upgrade for me yet!!!!!!!!!!!

chabig
Oct 4, 2011, 03:58 PM
They don't even list the secondary mic at the top for noise cancellation in the tech specs anymore. =(

That was my favourite feature of iPhone 4. It's still there, but no one cares about it now. It makes me sad. :(

It's prominently featured on Apple's iPhone pages (http://www.apple.com/iphone/built-in-apps/phone.html).

marksman
Oct 4, 2011, 04:01 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Dont be jealous that the 4s is a better conservationalist than you.

Beefnoodle
Oct 4, 2011, 04:02 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; ru-ru) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

This is exciting, but only on s? Wtf, seriously? What about the iTouch, iPad, MacBook / Lion? They all have a mic, don't they?

My guess, "tech refreshes" for future Apple products. Its a cheap/easy way to introduce "new" features without having to spend R&D money.

:cool:

cjoy
Oct 4, 2011, 04:03 PM
So Apple annonced Siri in German too. Strange thing i just noticed is the Austrian Apple Website http://apple.at does not mention Siri at all. The German Apple Website does. I am wondering if Apple is not aware that people in Austria and Switzerland also speak German, or is siri really limited to some countries?

think scottish highlands and oxford english...
when it comes to voice recognition, austrian and swiss accents can be languages of their own.

RoboCop001
Oct 4, 2011, 04:04 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Dont be jealous that the 4s is a better conservationalist than you.

Hahaha.

Also... I'm quite sure Apple hasn't been working only on the iPhone 4S all this time. What have they been doing all these months? They probably had the hardware design team spend as little time on the 4S design as they could so that they could R&D an awesome iPhone design for next year.

I'm sure it takes time to design it, then build a prototype, and then repeat the process for not only 1 design but probably a few.

Daringescape
Look at this video from 1987 and tell me that it doesn't resemble a bit of what we are now seeing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRH8eimU_20&feature=related

Edit: Fixed bad link

12dylan34
As so-so as this announcement is in terms of other features, this is actually pretty cool. It brought a "wow, that's awesome" smile to my face when I saw the video.

JPamplin
Oct 4, 2011, 04:06 PM
And now it's telling me that it's going away on October 15. So the free app (which was in the itunes Store this morning) that was working fairly well on older iPhones will now self-destruct so nobody can use it without upgrading to the 4S.

Yup, I'm pissed. :confused:

ipedro
Oct 4, 2011, 04:13 PM
What I haven't heard people discussing is how this could be the beginning of serious competition against Google.

When you can just ask your iPhone for information, why would you use a typing based search engine?

Siri is more than just a voice assistant, it's a Google killer. Google moved in to Apple's territory, so now it's fair game for Apple to target Google's main business.

marksman
Oct 4, 2011, 04:14 PM

How on earth is this a revolutionary feature? You do realize we have had voice control on our phones for years now right? This is literally the definition of a gimmick, it will be interesting for about the first 5 minutes, then you will go back to doing things the way you did before because it is much quicker.

Regardless of the efficiency of the Siri system there is still a chance that it could get your voice command wrong, thus causing you a 5-10 second delay in whatever process you were trying to perform. This in itself is enough to deter me from ever using it, not that I can on my now (somehow) outdated iPhone4.

Lol. If you think this is like voice control you either have never read or seen anything about it or are horribly dumb.

ANDI54
Oct 4, 2011, 04:17 PM
It requires a faster processor (A5) as it will not run properly on the (A4). There was an article with the makers of Siri explaining that the biggest roadblock in the past was having a phone that could actually run it. This really shouldn't be much of a surprise considering how strict Apple is on the user experience...

And was this article before or after Apple bought Siri? This is why iTards will always be iTards. When this feature works fine on jailbroken iPhone 4 you will see...

MarkCooz
Oct 4, 2011, 04:18 PM
So siri is only "EXCLUSIVE" for the iPhone 4S??
This is upsetting..

marksman
Oct 4, 2011, 04:19 PM

Talk about a joke. If Siri isn't available for current iPhone 4 users that will be the biggest load of horse shi* ever.

Yes revolutionary technology should work on even the original iPhone. This idea that unprecedented mobile interface processing requires resources is so unbelievable!!!

I am getting a sg2 where I don't ever have to worry about using revolutionary technology

marksman
Oct 4, 2011, 04:24 PM

Siri is a big deal.

In english speaking countries. For the rest of the world, it's a non-feature. It seems to be available in German and French too, but I seriously doubt it will be as polished as in English. Not to mention all the other languages that are supposed to "come sometime in the future" (most of them never will).

Any reason you just make stuff up?

jmull
Oct 4, 2011, 04:24 PM
What I haven't heard people discussing is how this could be the beginning of serious competition against Google.

When you can just ask your iPhone for information, why would you use a typing based search engine?

Siri is more than just a voice assistant, it's a Google killer. Google moved in to Apple's territory, so now it's fair game for Apple to target Google's main business.

I find it hard to believe Siri can understand my mumblings when others can't...

Schmitty11
Oct 4, 2011, 04:26 PM
Just watch the demo from the stream. Thats pretty awesome. Although, in a way it sorta scares me of how smart it is. What if it becomes completely self aware?! Back on serious note, I wouldn't mind having it on my iPhone 4, but dont need it. It would be sweet to show off to my old man :cool:

Lennholm
Oct 4, 2011, 04:27 PM

Eh, the example sentences you gave yesterday were way more complex than what has been demonstrated.

mirffy
Oct 4, 2011, 04:29 PM
So Siri recognises US, UK and Australian accents -- I'll gladly put that to the test.

ELEVEN!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FFRoYhTJQQ

marksman
Oct 4, 2011, 04:33 PM

This is a very astute point. It will replace a lot of search queries. Not all or most but I will use it several times a day when I want a quick answer to something.

ANDI54
Oct 4, 2011, 04:35 PM
The first thing Fanboys should ask Siri is "Am I an idiot for queing up overnight for a spec bump & a stupid gimmick" When it answers "Yes" you'll realise it is more intelligent than you...:D

marksman
Oct 4, 2011, 04:36 PM

And was this article before or after Apple bought Siri? This is why iTards will always be iTards. When this feature works fine on jailbroken iPhone 4 you will see...

They discussed the limitations with the app with the hardware before apple bought Siri. Why not educate yourself instead of looking foolish at every turn

Mrcapone
Oct 4, 2011, 04:40 PM
when it comes to voice recognition, austrian and swiss accents can be languages of their own.

You are right somehow, but it is more like UK and US English.

BLOND37
Oct 4, 2011, 04:42 PM
couple of things - is siri the kind of thing: call bob. calling ron. no bob. calling blob. no such user. what number? home. calling phone.

for those that have droid or will switch what do you all do about syncing contacts with a MBP.. and we wont be able to use icloud..

Bevz
Oct 4, 2011, 04:51 PM
I'd jailbreak to get this (for the first time after owning 3 different iPhone models). IF this works as they say, it could be a killer feature for iPhone! Although I'm still remaining a little skeptical until I use it in person!
It should have been part of ios5 though, ie if your hardware runs ios5 you should have this too... If the reason was iPhone 4 isn't powerful enough then why isn't this available on ipad2? That's got an A5 chip! Bit of a cheap move on apples part making it iphone4S only. Ok, they needed something to make it stand out but leaving this feature off iphone4 and ipad2 is just madness :(

Erasmus
Oct 4, 2011, 04:53 PM
So how long until they put this feature in Lion?
If an iPhone can run it, a new MBP certainly can.

3N16MA
Oct 4, 2011, 04:59 PM
Me: "Siri we are best friends."

Siri: "Let me think about that."

MacAddict1978
Oct 4, 2011, 05:04 PM
Arriving on the 4S?!?

Stinking cry babies! Go see mummy for a tissue and a cookie already. (This is directed at everyone.)

NO THIS IS NOT THE SAME SIRI IN THE APP STORE. It works similar in a few ways, but just a few. It's baked into the OS, and does more than google things you ask it for via app integration.

I don't doubt that Siri could run on the iPhone 4, but perhaps with 3rd party developers taking advantage of it this might be where it can't work so well. (It would actually have to multi-task in a truer sense and that's not what it was designed to do with few exceptions, and all in home-brewed, integrated apps. DO NOT even try to say that MMS, calls, notifications etc are muti-tasking because that's the function of the device, and the most basic phones have done this for close to 20 years now.)

My bet is Apple will sell Siri after the beta ends, and give it away with the new hardware if it's able to perform well on old hardware. I just wouldn't expect 3rd party apps to maybe be compatible with Siri on older hardware.

ECUpirate44
Oct 4, 2011, 05:06 PM
Let me know when it's available for jailbroken iPhone 4's :D

iamp
Oct 4, 2011, 05:07 PM
I find it rather ridiculous that Siri's not going to be available on iPhone 4.

Abazigal
Oct 4, 2011, 05:09 PM
I am going to have fun shouting commands to my colleagues when they are trying to use Siri...:D

Foggy
Oct 4, 2011, 05:13 PM

Ditto

unicorn025
Oct 4, 2011, 05:25 PM

virlingo does that get it at the android app store

Eriden
Oct 4, 2011, 05:27 PM

Agreed. This feels like 20% hardware limitation and 80% feature reservation to give users an incentive to move to the 4S. The Siri app has worked flawlessly on my iPhone 4 up to now, and I can't imagine that the integration with calendar, email, and texting apps would really tax the processor and RAM enough to require the specs found in the 4S.

I suppose that we'll just have to wait until some enterprising hacker finds a way to enable Siri in iOS 5 on iPhone 4 to find out how much smoke Apple is blowing up our collective @sses, and how much of it is a real impact on the user experience.

iBug2
Oct 4, 2011, 05:30 PM
I wonder if Siri will be supported on iPad 2. Now that has the exact same hardware as iPhone 4S.

gelorobinson
Oct 4, 2011, 05:37 PM
In the keynote demo, the iPhone 4S was clearly in lock-screen mode before entering any verification of being the owner of the phone. Wouldn't that make your iPhone 4S vulnerable to data theft (i.e. one of the example prompts for Siri is 'what's Michael's address' but even 'what am I doing next Friday at noon' I would consider sensitive information) Even replying to text should not work before entering the passcode or some sort of voice password (maybe Siri could ask different questions each time so that people that spent a lot of time around you won't figure out your password promt. i.e. when is X's birthday or what's your place of birth)

does anyone know what Apple plans to do to avoid potential problems in these cases?

I can totally see the benefit of Siri being completely hands-free - I just don't know how it's going to work in the real world where phones get lost or stolen.

wovel
Oct 4, 2011, 05:41 PM

You were never there to begin with, so I guess they wont miss you..

----------

That is the Siri app that did work on my 3GS last night.

It is a gimmick if it doesn't work. In 2007 capacative touch and web browsing on phones were considered gimmicks. Apple changed that. (Well web browsing is apparently still a gimmick on Android phones since hardly anyone uses it).

Why is your iPhone 4 outdated? It is still receiving a massive upgrade next week...

APPLENEWBIE
Oct 4, 2011, 05:47 PM
Two things:

1) Siri, will you marry me?

2) When will Siri be available for mac? Or maybe I can just use it on the iPhone for dictation into my iCloud documents files?

Beefnoodle
Oct 4, 2011, 05:53 PM
NO THIS IS NOT THE SAME SIRI IN THE APP STORE. It works similar in a few ways, but just a few. It's baked into the OS, and does more than google things you ask it for via app integration.

Care to expand on how you know this? Specifically, the "baked into the OS" part.

I don't doubt that Siri could run on the iPhone 4, but perhaps with 3rd party developers taking advantage of it this might be where it can't work so well. (It would actually have to multi-task in a truer sense and that's not what it was designed to do with few exceptions, and all in home-brewed, integrated apps. DO NOT even try to say that MMS, calls, notifications etc are muti-tasking because that's the function of the device, and the most basic phones have done this for close to 20 years now.)

If Siri is "baked into iOS5" like you claimed, how is it "multi-task" if running on iPhone4, it's part of the OS, isn't it? You're saying that older hardware will run the OS differently than new hardware?

That doesn't make any sense.

ANDI54
Oct 4, 2011, 06:04 PM

They discussed the limitations with the app with the hardware before apple bought Siri. Why not educate yourself instead of looking foolish at every turn

I educate myself on things that matter,not stupid gimmicks...Now bend over Fanboy and take again like you do every year...UR the fool, not me...

APPLENEWBIE
Oct 4, 2011, 06:19 PM
Would somebody wake me up after all the 15 year olds on this forum have gone to bed?

BLOND37
Oct 4, 2011, 06:26 PM
so basically most of ios5 is useless to me.. cant upgrade to 4s. and so i cant use siri?

WestonHarvey1
Oct 4, 2011, 06:29 PM
Care to expand on how you know this? Specifically, the "baked into the OS" part.

If Siri is "baked into iOS5" like you claimed, how is it "multi-task" if running on iPhone4, it's part of the OS, isn't it? You're saying that older hardware will run the OS differently than new hardware?

That doesn't make any sense.

It takes control over the home button, which no other app can do. It has its own key on the keyboard. It can update alarm clock entries and read SMS databases, which third party apps cannot do.

Those are just a few examples of how it is baked into the OS. The Siri app could not do what Siri does now simply because of the restrictions it has as a player in the third party app sandbox.

ANDI54
Oct 4, 2011, 06:36 PM
You were never there to begin with, so I guess they wont miss you..

That is the Siri app that did work on my 3GS last night.

It is a gimmick if it doesn't work. In 2007 capacative touch and web browsing on phones were considered gimmicks. Apple changed that. (Well web browsing is apparently still a gimmick on Android phones since hardly anyone uses it).

Why is your iPhone 4 outdated? It is still receiving a massive upgrade next week...
Wrong...I queued with the other iDIOTS every year, but no more...
Siri is a gimmick, the touch screen a practical, useful thing, that is the difference...

apecrazy
Oct 4, 2011, 06:47 PM
[QUOTE= It can update alarm clock entries and read SMS databases, which third party apps cannot do.

Those are just a few examples of how it is baked into the OS. The Siri app could not do what Siri does now simply because of the restrictions it has as a player in the third party app sandbox.[/QUOTE]

so does this mean that siri could set an alarm and wake me up to a certain pandora radio station at the same time every day without me having to set it and leave it running before i go to bed? or set multiple alarms for different days of the week? what about opening my navigation app (i dont use google maps cause it sucks) to get me where i want to go just by saying "navigate to ......"?

the droid 2 and every android phone since then that i know of does that. I've been waiting for apple to catch up.

LeoNobilis
Oct 4, 2011, 06:59 PM
How shameless of Apple! Apple claims no hardware short of iPhone 4S will support SIRI! Bloody liars! Worse yet is that most iFanatics are so gullible as to take that tall tale for truth. Rubbish! Apple invites everyone interested in Siri to ditch their current phones and rush for an iPhone 4S. Idiots!

Really, the better hardware, especially the greater storage of the best model is the best reason to buy an iPhone 4S, but a software feature forced to work with the newest models alone when all of them could support it as well… shameless, Apple!

mactmaster
Oct 4, 2011, 07:01 PM
I wonder if my mom will be able to use Siri with her Mexican accent. :p

DudeDad
Oct 4, 2011, 07:08 PM
I don't understand how they justify claiming this only works on the iPhone 4S... This may be a feature worth jailbreaking to get, if it really works as well as they claim. I'm betting Siri got a little bit of training behind the scenes before they went up on stage with it, but it's still impressive nonetheless.

They say it needs the 1GB Ram that the 4S has, but the others do not.

iMrNiceGuy0023
Oct 4, 2011, 07:10 PM
this is going to KILL our home buttons!!!

Zaqfalcon
Oct 4, 2011, 07:14 PM
Apple are really clutching at straws trying to find solutions where no problem exists with Facetime and now this Assistant BS. People really aren't going to sit on the train, in the pub, or on their lounge talking at their phone, they don't want the whole world to be party to what they are doing (except the arrogant and selfish) and frankly I don't care to hear it either (we shouldn't need to put our earphones in to escape other people's yammering). Hence the consistent and continuing popoularity of the text message.

For those who say it would be useful in the car; you may not care about your own safety, but I care about mine and that of my loved ones, so how about instead of concerning yourself with where your going to eat dinner, texting your mates or searching for meaningless trivia you instead CONCENTRATE ON YOUR DRIVING!

skeep5
Oct 4, 2011, 07:51 PM
but i wanted an iphone 5 with laser beams. and an armpit trimmer.

usman93
Oct 4, 2011, 08:14 PM
I'm with others on this, very disappointed to see Siri being an iPhone 4S-only feature. It may very well become available to us who have iPhone 4 through jailbreak because when you think about it, there shouldn't be anything about the new hardware that makes Siri require an iPhone 4S to run.

Actually the A5 chip plays a big role in operating Siri~ they have apps that work like seiri which were released back in the day of the iphone 3, the only reason they didnt set it is cuz the phone didnt run dual processor which wud suck the battery out of the phone and slow it down big time.

Really amazed with the 4S i knew from the inside of my heart that apple wudnt add a minor update to such a product, they literally changed the insides of this phone.

----------

haha i do to :P

RickardOne
Oct 4, 2011, 08:25 PM
If i ask Siri to set up an alarm, will it open my clock app and set up the alarm in there of will it be an extra alarm integrated in Siri?

gerwitz
Oct 4, 2011, 08:30 PM
Just to nitpick semantics: this is speech recognition, not voice recognition. The latter is recognizing an individual's unique vocal characteristics (often for authentication).

And, really, the Nuance-driven speech recognition is wonderful, but it's the natural language parsing and response system that makes Siri noteworthy.

Niteace
Oct 4, 2011, 08:44 PM
no mention of Siri on apple.ie. Kinda wish i hadn't sold my iPhone 4 now!
Well, i'm just gonna have to buy a second had iPhone 4, there is no way i'm entering another 18month contract for an iPhone 4s that doesn't even have Siri.

quite disappointed.

ECUpirate44
Oct 4, 2011, 08:45 PM
I wonder if Siri will be supported on iPad 2. Now that has the exact same hardware as iPhone 4S.

It doesn't look like it.

Bernard SG
Oct 4, 2011, 08:50 PM
no mention of Siri on apple.ie. Kinda wish i hadn't sold my iPhone 4 now!
Well, i'm just gonna have to buy a second had iPhone 4, there is no way i'm entering another 18month contract for an iPhone 4s that doesn't even have Siri.

quite disappointed.

What??

http://images.apple.com/home/images/title.png

Niteace
Oct 4, 2011, 09:01 PM
What??

Image (http://images.apple.com/home/images/title.png)

http://www.apple.com/euro/home/images/title.png

go to apple.ie and it does not mention Siri at all.

Bernard SG
Oct 4, 2011, 09:21 PM
Image (http://www.apple.com/euro/home/images/title.png)

go to apple.ie and it does not mention Siri at all.

Aww!
Could it be unsolved issues about Irish accent?

Niteace
Oct 4, 2011, 09:28 PM
Aww!
Could it be unsolved issues about Irish accent?

yeah probably :(

not avail in either in canada, aus, new zealand, norway...etc

darkslayer13
Oct 4, 2011, 09:32 PM
What an awesome feature. Just bought an iPhone4 so will promptly returning it for the new one. Can't miss out on this feature!

Wait, what?! How is this revolutionary?! You can already talk to your iphone4 to tell it to make calls and change songs for you. This just adds a few extra things it can understand.

Overall I was very upset. It seems that since the iPhone came out, apple has been playing catch-up with all other carriers. Unsuccessfully I may add. Nokia, blackberry and HTC have all had these features for the past year and a half. And as far as apples new 8mp camera, some are moving on to 10 and 12mp cameras and have been shooting 1080p for quite some time. And the extra 4 month wait without even a redesign or larger screen? Again, i'm very disappointed.

markrox7
Oct 4, 2011, 10:05 PM
Although I am a little bit dissapointed at the lack of a redesign, the iPhone 4S is still very impressive. Siri? I want it. It looks amazing. I can't wait to get this phone.

----------

Wait, what?! How is this revolutionary?! You can already talk to your iphone4 to tell it to make calls and change songs for you. This just adds a few extra things it can understand.

Overall I was very upset. It seems that since the iPhone came out, apple has been playing catch-up with all other carriers. Unsuccessfully I may add. Nokia, blackberry and HTC have all had these features for the past year and a half. And as far as apples new 8mp camera, some are moving on to 10 and 12mp cameras and have been shooting 1080p for quite some time. And the extra 4 month wait without even a redesign or larger screen? Again, i'm very disappointed.

I'm dissapointed too, but I disagree with you on the fact that Apple is catching up to Nokia, blackberry, and HTC. I mean nokia and blackberry? REALLY? If it wasn't for the iPhone, Android wouldn't exist, we'd still be stuck with dumbphones and mobile browsers like the blakberry's. So how about you think before you irrationally comment about how some missing redesign completely ruined the iPhone. I bet you that if the iPhone 4S was redesigned, you'd still have a problem with it.

robsp2000
Oct 4, 2011, 10:12 PM
This is a great business move for Apple.... they have a chokehold on the smartphone market and no one is close yet. So why not exploit the iPhone 4 design with some hardware upgrades, generate some hype, and sell a ton more phones? It's just disappointing because I feel they should stick to what has made them great: innovating regardless of what others are doing. It's like they are winning a race and instead of setting a world record, they slowed down and did only what they needed to do to beat the next closest racer.

touchmonkey
Oct 4, 2011, 10:16 PM
I didn't read this whole thread (don't yell at me), but is anyone else upset that Apple is taking away the version of Siri that already works on non-4S phones?
This makes no sense, I love that app. My head is 'sploding. This is like when they changed the action of the rotation lock button. Makes no sense to their users.
I'm P.O.'d.

DeanSolecki
Oct 4, 2011, 10:35 PM
I called voice input MONTHS ago. And you guys thought I was crazy. Alright, some of you saw where things were headed as well. Just saying. Ha!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1121337

JAT
Oct 4, 2011, 10:54 PM
Also, my copy no longer works. Is this app dead now for those who don't have an iphone 4s? :-(

iPhone 4S only? BS, the Siri app works just fine!!

Oh wait, nevermind.
Works for me, right now. Maybe there was an outage this afternoon.
City boy, eh?

Current voice command works with my car device, don't know why Siri wouldn't. Although Ford Sync may be crap.
Two things:

1) Siri, will you marry me?

2) When will Siri be available for mac? Or maybe I can just use it on the iPhone for dictation into my iCloud documents files?
(1) Siri just looks up "marry me". Yawn. (2) Nuance has had dictation apps on OSX and Win for many years. Dragon Naturally Speaking was on sale a bunch this year.
so does this mean that siri could set an alarm and wake me up to a certain pandora radio station at the same time every day without me having to set it and leave it running before i go to bed? or set multiple alarms for different days of the week? what about opening my navigation app (i dont use google maps cause it sucks) to get me where i want to go just by saying "navigate to ......"?

the droid 2 and every android phone since then that i know of does that. I've been waiting for apple to catch up.
Does it from voice command? Siri has its own map, but probably uses the Apple/Google Maps app in iOS5.
You must be a kid. Nosehair trimmer would be more useful.
I called voice input MONTHS ago. And you guys thought I was crazy. Alright, some of you saw where things were headed as well. Just saying. Ha!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1121337
Not burdened with humility, I see.

DeanSolecki
Oct 4, 2011, 11:14 PM
Not burdened with humility, I see.

Not on the interwebs, leastways not on a forum, and certainly not on macrumors; you dogs are hardly worth kicking and it's all you're good for.

/jk

teknishn
Oct 5, 2011, 12:22 AM
First, let me say that I am excited to get this phone. I really truly did want the new thinner tapered design with 4" screen, but I'll have to resign myself to the fact that those features are for the iPhone 5 due obviously next year and probably with a non battery sucking LTE radio as well.

That aside, I'm dumbfounded by some of these ppl out there claiming Apple is just barely catching up to HTC, Samsung and others.... WTF!?!?! Really???

Lets just run this down. Only the most recent handsets from HTC, Samsung, Moto, LG etc are bringing this generation of smartphones to the dual core processor front etc. Apple has been barely a month or so behind bringing the A5 to the iPhone and that wasn't because of technical inferiority, it was because of software development.... (iOS5, Siri, iCloud, iTunes Match) Thats a lot of things to bring together at once here. As for the A5 Apple has had that processor done and ready a long time ago and shipping in the ipad2.

Speaking of the A5 processor.... it has been shown by every test out there to be faster than any other dual core mobile chip out there... including the Galaxy S II. The graphics of the A5 is roughly double the performance of its nearest rival... again Galaxy S II.

The screen issue is a matter of open debate. Large screen vs small screen... everything has a tradeoff. Bottom line is that the iPhone had and continues to have the highest pixel density of any phone in the world.... and its noticeable. As for 4.3 vs 3.5, there are arguments both ways. 4.3 is much nicer to work with and look at, but 3.5 in my pocket is 100x better. And at the end of the day, its a smartphone, not an ereader, tablet, or PC.

I would have liked to see a freshened design myself, but that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the current one. Its still the #1 handset in the world by a wide margin. They obviously thought it had more legs in it. But I digress. It is what it is. We'll just have to settle for the best smartphone on the planet with the best software on the planet in the same casing as the prior rig.

sennekuyl
Oct 5, 2011, 01:17 AM
yeah probably :(

not avail in either in canada, aus, new zealand, norway...etc

Australian Apple mentions Siri.

akira2501
Oct 5, 2011, 01:30 AM
Jobs knows the deal. If he were on stage today, he could have said the same thing that everyone else says, but it was have been magical and revolutionary. But because Cook isn't much of a showman, everyone is underwhelmed. Trust this though, once people get this thing in their hands, they'll love it.

Judas1
Oct 5, 2011, 02:45 AM
The first thing Fanboys should ask Siri is "Am I an idiot for queing up overnight for a spec bump & a stupid gimmick" When it answers "Yes" you'll realise it is more intelligent than you...:D

Actually, the first thing you should ask it, "Siri, are you a gimmick or are you for real?"
Its answer, "I don't know. Please ask me again in a month."

Siri, in a month.
"Hello? Anybody? Why has in been so quiet?"

MStep
Oct 5, 2011, 03:39 AM
I apologize if this is a silly question but what is it that stops siri working in places like Ireland and NZ?
Is it that the information from the net is not available through siri in these countries or something to do with different accents?

mijail
Oct 5, 2011, 05:08 AM

So, "voice input" is the same as Siri?
You don't set the bar too high, do you?

Niteace
Oct 5, 2011, 05:31 AM
I apologize if this is a silly question but what is it that stops siri working in places like Ireland and NZ?
Is it that the information from the net is not available through siri in these countries or something to do with different accents?

I would say its a bit of both.

I wonder if it would just be a matter of changing the language settings, say to uk english instead of irish english for example.

Does anyone know?

Madmic23
Oct 5, 2011, 06:48 AM

I guess Siri can't figure out our accent, eh? What's that aboot? :)

steveza
Oct 5, 2011, 07:01 AM
I guess Siri can't figure out our accent, eh? What's that aboot? :):) So it will work in Australia, but not NZ? I don't get it. What about for people in the UK who have strong non-english accents ... could be interesting ...

x13gamer
Oct 5, 2011, 07:34 AM
Time to start speculation on the iPad 3. Which one un-named apple executive claimed was going to blow us away. I would imagine that the iPad 3 will have siri. and will be a "world" iPad with the two antennas, Just like the 4s. with 6 months to go, let the rumors begin.

Artey
Oct 5, 2011, 07:44 AM

True, well I guess it would be possible but it would drain the battery since the mic would need to be on all the time and the CPU would constantly be analyzing the incoming audio. It would also have an impact on the performance of the phone.

shiseiryu1
Oct 5, 2011, 08:08 AM
I wonder what's Apple's excuse for not putting Siri on the iPad2?

Lahmy88
Oct 5, 2011, 08:37 AM
Game-changing!

Siri ftw!

KindredMAC
Oct 5, 2011, 08:39 AM
I didn't read this whole thread (don't yell at me), but is anyone else upset that Apple is taking away the version of Siri that already works on non-4S phones?
This makes no sense, I love that app. My head is 'sploding. This is like when they changed the action of the rotation lock button. Makes no sense to their users.
I'm P.O.'d.

Just found this out this morning and I am PíSSED OFF!
I've been using Siri for almost a year and it has become an integral part of my life when out traveling, which I do frequently on the weekends.

DeanSolecki
Oct 5, 2011, 08:52 AM
So, "voice input" is the same as Siri?
You don't set the bar too high, do you?

You can do speech-to-text. The other Siri features are developments of the pre-existing "voice control," which doesn't relate to my point, but will probably see some type of development curve that makes it clearer as to what implementation is actually MORE useful than physical control, if any.

touchmonkey
Oct 5, 2011, 08:57 AM
Just found this out this morning and I am PíSSED OFF!
I've been using Siri for almost a year and it has become an integral part of my life when out traveling, which I do frequently on the weekends.

How is taking away an app a good thing? Or good business, or even ethical?
Makes Apple look desperate to push users to 4S. They could take away a bunch of others if they want.
There's no way they can't have both available. The one on the 4S is better, so its still a selling point for it.
Time to start pooning their feedback....now where is it again?
http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

slrandall
Oct 5, 2011, 10:59 AM

I hope in 10 years we can look back on posts like these and mock the people who couldn't understand the implications of the tech right in front of them.

touchmonkey
Oct 5, 2011, 11:48 AM
I hope in 10 years we can look back on posts like these and mock the people who couldn't understand the implications of the tech right in front of them.

I've been following this since Apple bought Siri. Knew then it was a game changer, and that's why I'm p-----d they are actually taking it away. I can see discontinuing it in the app store, but removing it from your device?

Who's device is it anyway?

hayhay
Oct 5, 2011, 12:33 PM
Yes!!! AWESOME feature!!!

I have to say I think it's a little comical that it's described as this amazing, intelligent, mind blowing, advanced, state of the art feature...but yet...the voice...sounds...well you know...trying to be politically correct here...so I'll say...you know that choppy computer generated voice...you would think something sooooo "advanced" could sound like a real person. Just an observation...I love the feature and can't wait to get it...it just makes me giggle a little.

mrxak
Oct 5, 2011, 02:46 PM
Yeah, I wish the voice was better, but it's the uncanny valley thing. We can relate to an okay computerized voice, but if it sounded much realer it'd be freaky.

drewtje
Oct 5, 2011, 02:59 PM
Siri is going to become self-aware and take over the world.:p

Skoal
Oct 5, 2011, 03:33 PM
IMO SIRI is the only reason to upgrade to the 4s if you have a 4. It's a somewhat gimmicky reason but a reason nonetheless. I see people using it initially then ditching it for the traditional method of using a phone. Every voice app I've used has ended up being more of a pain in the ass than using your fingers. I hope SIRI is truly different.

Skoal
Oct 5, 2011, 04:16 PM

Yes revolutionary technology should work on even the original iPhone. This idea that unprecedented mobile interface processing requires resources is so unbelievable!!!

I am getting a sg2 where I don't ever have to worry about using revolutionary technology

Yup Apple is becoming revolutionary in how quickly it acquires companies to build it's features. SIRI is hardly revolutionary!

alienapp
Oct 6, 2011, 06:11 AM
I dont believe that some of you are being fair to siri, because Siri is not just voice recognition software.

Typically on a normal phone if you want to use a voice command, you would start a sentence with a certain keyword. However with siri the iphone is able to understand the context in which you are saying what you're saying.

This allows you to talk to siri as if you are talking to another human being, allowing more people to use an enjoy the iphone. Because you don't need to learn to use siri, you already know how to. That is why i believe that siri is so revolutionary.

Here a video on siri:
http://vimeo.com/5424527

The video is from a while back, where the siri team first introduced siri. It'll help you learn more about siri. Theres' no bias towards apple or other phone.

This is my 2 cents on the subject, and of course you are entitled to your own opinion.

StyxMaker
Oct 6, 2011, 11:04 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8L1)

It puzzles me that some people seem to be more pissed that their iP4 has become 'outdated' after 15 months than they would have been if it had become 'outdated' after only twelve months.

StyxMaker
Oct 6, 2011, 12:24 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8L1)

You are right somehow, but it is more like UK and US English.

"Two people divided by a common language."

StyxMaker
Oct 6, 2011, 12:34 PM

I am going to have fun shouting commands to my colleagues when they are trying to use Siri...:D

I've uses the Siri app with the television running and it had no problem separating my voice from the television.

MacVault
Oct 10, 2011, 11:31 AM
Just wondering why Siri sounds so synthesized on this most-modern handset. I have apps on my iPhone 4 that will read text to me with a much more natural sounding voice. When I call United Airlines automated line Simon talks much more naturally.

And where did they get the name Siri? Nothing wrong with it. Just curious.