Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cb911

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
i want to make a screen saver for OS 10.2 and i was wondering if anyone here knows how?

any help would be appreciated, even if it's just a link to somewhere you think you saw some info that might help.

or does anyone know of some websites that deal with this kind of stuff?

any help would be greatly appreciated,
thanks.:D

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Use Project Builder

1) Install Developer Tools (if not already installed)
2) Open Project Builder
3) Start a new Project.
4) Scroll down a bit and choose Screen Saver from the Standard Apple Plugins group.
5) Write some code (in Objective-C/Cocoa) to display the animation for your screen saver.

I think there is some help in the Project Builder help about writing screen savers as well.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Step 5 may require some thought, steps 1-4 are pretty easy. When you choose a new screen save project project builder provides all the skeleton code for you: you can compile to project and view the resulting screen saver (its black).

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
the project builder makes the base of the screensaver, but you have to know how to program to make anything other than the black screen. i think that there are a few utilities on vt that allow you to convert flash files or quicktime movies into screensavers, but if you're planning on doing anything with your own graphic elements or opengl, you have to learn to code (which is a long term commitment for making a screensaver).

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
are you serious e-coli? the cheapest option for that is $200. you can download a screensaver that allows you to play any quicktime movie for free. that product is easily the biggest waste of money i've ever seen. i'd buy a used version of aaron hillegass' book for $20 and spend the time learning how to program before i'd spend that kind of money on such a limited product.

http://www.iscreenmaker.com/ will do the same thing at $50 for unlimited distribution and $20 for personal use. still a waste of money in my opinion, but a hell of a lot cheaper than the other option.

cb911

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
thanks for all the help, i've downloaded both of those programs (trial versions).

i thought that i might have to install the Developer Tools, but alas, i don't know anything about coding. thankfully, i do know my way around FlashMX...

i might as well let all of you know what i'm planning on doing with my own screen saver. well, i'm going to have it as a background in 10.2. it's not going to be too technically complicated, just lots of cool animations!:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.