PDA

View Full Version : "AT&T Upgrader App" Lets iPhone Owners Preorder From Their Phones

MacRumors
Oct 4, 2011, 03:31 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/04/att-upgrader-app-lets-iphone-owners-preorder-from-their-phones/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/10/att-150x156.jpg

AT&T is launching a new app later today to help existing iPhone owners preorder the iPhone 4S. Preorders start this Friday, October 7.

The app, called AT&T Upgrader, informs customers if they are upgrade eligible, what the new iPhone will cost, and let's them place their preorder.

Non-iPhone AT&T customers who want to preorder can visit AT&T's iPhone Upgrade page at www.att.com/phoneupgrade (http://www.att.com/phoneupgrade). Both Verizon and AT&T customers can also check upgrade eligibility on Apple's website (https://buyiphone.apple.com/WebObjects/IPACustomer.woa/wa/IPAToolAction/springboard).

AT&T already offers a number of apps, including myAT&T (http://appshopper.com/utilities/mywireless-mobile-on-att) to view and manage AT&T accounts, and AT&T Mark The Spot (http://appshopper.com/utilities/att-mark-the-spot) which allows users to report dead zones and dropped calls directly to AT&T's network operations team.

AT&T Upgrader will be available on the App Store later today.

Article Link: "AT&T Upgrader App" Lets iPhone Owners Preorder From Their Phones (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/04/att-upgrader-app-lets-iphone-owners-preorder-from-their-phones/)

kjs862
Oct 4, 2011, 03:37 PM
Pretty neat. Maybe it will let's preorder tonight before the rest of them.

Battlefield Fan
Oct 4, 2011, 03:38 PM
Can I cancel my AT&T account and preorder an iPhone 4s on Sprint from this app?

Dr Kevorkian94
Oct 4, 2011, 03:39 PM
maybe my upgrade date will be moved because its currently 2/18/12 and it would be very nice and i would be happy. because there is no chance of me buying one if i can't get it for the contract price.

wordoflife
Oct 4, 2011, 03:41 PM
Or ...

http://f.cl.ly/items/2K0l0C0O2q40072N3z42/Screen%20Shot%202011-10-04%20at%204.40.42%20PM.png

mkrishnan
Oct 4, 2011, 03:42 PM

I'm thinking they didn't use that barrel rolling combo box thing in the SDK to put in a "pick your provider" option. :(

RafaelT
Oct 4, 2011, 03:48 PM
The real question is do you actually trust an app from AT&T to get your order done correctly.

voyagerd
Oct 4, 2011, 03:50 PM
So.. should I pre-order using this app or the Apple Store app?

RafaelT
Oct 4, 2011, 03:54 PM
So.. should I pre-order using this app or the Apple Store app?

That's up to you.... I know I trust Apple to handle my order correctly a lot more then AT&T.

jelly
Oct 4, 2011, 03:55 PM
I am only a month away from an upgrade so I am hoping that AT&T will move my date up

rye9
Oct 4, 2011, 04:08 PM
i am only a month away from an upgrade so i am hoping that at&t will move my date up

+1

jayducharme
I hope that with all the competition now that AT&T will be more flexible with their upgrade policies. I'd consider getting a 4S, now that I'm unsure whether the iPhone will have it's usual upgrade cycle in the summer.

bspence
I bought the iPhone 4 the day it was released. So here's what AT&T is telling me at the moment:

You qualify for the following iPhone pricing:
Before Nov 25, 2011 After Nov 25, 2011
iPhone 4S : 16GB $449.00 $199.00
iPhone 4S : 32GB $549.00 $299.00
iPhone 4S : 64GB $649.00 $399.00

(I skipped adding the 3GS and 4 pricing. It's similar)

Is this the first time AT&T hasn't allowed people who bought the last iPhone access to the next iPhone as soon as it's released? I don't want to wait for a month and a half to get the new iPhone and I don't want to spend an additional $250 for the privilege of getting it early. I wonder if AT&T will announce that we'll be allowed the 2-year contract discount?

jelly
Oct 4, 2011, 04:15 PM
I bought the iPhone 4 the day it was released. So here's what AT&T is telling me at the moment:

You qualify for the following iPhone pricing:
Before Nov 25, 2011 After Nov 25, 2011
iPhone 4S : 16GB $449.00 $199.00
iPhone 4S : 32GB $549.00 $299.00
iPhone 4S : 64GB $649.00 $399.00

(I skipped adding the 3GS and 4 pricing. It's similar)

Is this the first time AT&T hasn't allowed people who bought the last iPhone access to the next iPhone as soon as it's released? I don't want to wait for a month and a half to get the new iPhone and I don't want to spend an additional $250 for the privilege of getting it early. I wonder if AT&T will announce that we'll be allowed the 2-year contract discount?

I bought mine launch day and mine says the 16th of November. This would be the first time and I have had every phone. Hoping that they do work something out for us.

FrankySavvy
Oct 4, 2011, 04:16 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8L1)

If I preorder on this app, will I be able to pick it up in the store?

jshbckr
Oct 4, 2011, 04:22 PM
Dang. Last year, AT&T Let us upgrade early if we were eligible before the end of the year.

I guess I'd only have to wait until December 26th to get it fully subsidized, I can wait.

But if I did want it right away, it would be about the same price to terminate AT&T and jump somewhere else as it would to pay their higher price.

jelly
Oct 4, 2011, 04:24 PM
I made a note of that fact to AT&T when I emailed them to ask to be moved up. Sprint has better overall prices for the 3 iphones/data that I would want so hopefully they take that into consideration and let some of us upgrade a bit early

seamuskrat
Oct 4, 2011, 04:47 PM
Odd. Bought my iPhone 4 on launch day and can't upgrade until February 2012. AT&T is bunk for this. Way to annoy a loyal customer, and now with the iPhone everywhere if I have to wait I M jumping ship as their coverage stinks for me.

sjinsjca
Oct 4, 2011, 05:01 PM
...in your iPhone phone app, dial *639# and press the Call button.

You'll receive a text in a few moments.

For example, I bought my iPhone 4 a couple weeks after introduction. My response was, "As a valued customer, we can offer you an upgrade with a new 2-year commitment and an $18 upgrade fee."

I'd have to pay the subsidized price for the iPhone 4S, of course. But it'd be the subsidized price. My contract would be extended for two years, too, AFAIK. But that's okay, I really have no problem with AT&T.

RafaelT
Oct 4, 2011, 05:07 PM
Odd. Bought my iPhone 4 on launch day and can't upgrade until February 2012. AT&T is bunk for this. Way to annoy a loyal customer, and now with the iPhone everywhere if I have to wait I M jumping ship as their coverage stinks for me.

Yeah! Screw at&t for not letting you upgrade early because they haven't recouped the money they spent on your last iPhone subsidy yet and not wanting to give you one earlier then you agreed to! :rolleyes:

AT&T let's you upgrade early when you spend more money with them and they can recoup the subsidy cost more quickly, which is very fair. It's not fair to knock them for not allowing early upgrades every year just because they did it once.

It pains me to defend at&t but in this case they are right.

musiciscool
Oct 4, 2011, 05:41 PM
$250 is more than the early termination fee! Do they really want to give me incentive to go to Verizon or Sprint?

mpeterson78
Oct 4, 2011, 05:55 PM
Will either of these apps, or the websites themselves, allow me to pre-order the 4S if I want to buy it unsubsidized? Not really looking to extend my contract right now...

musiciscool
Oct 4, 2011, 05:56 PM
Yeah! Screw at&t for not letting you upgrade early because they haven't recouped the money they spent on your last iPhone subsidy yet and not wanting to give you one earlier then you agreed to! :rolleyes:

AT&T let's you upgrade early when you spend more money with them and they can recoup the subsidy cost more quickly, which is very fair. It's not fair to knock them for not allowing early upgrades every year just because they did it once.

It pains me to defend at&t but in this case they are right.

boo hoo, poor att.... maybe if they gave us the option of using a paid for iphone without buying a data plan you'd have a point. As it is, at the moment they detect any smart phone, they charge you a data plan, even if you didn't use it or want it.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt though on the iphone upgrade. I think they may extend a wise and generous offer to allow early upgrades at a slightly higher than fully subsidized price. The Apple event was only this afternoon, and not much time for ATT to post this info. If however, they give us the finger, they would be limiting Apple's sales AND enabling their competition, it would only make sense if they wanted to get back more bandwidth....

goobot
Oct 4, 2011, 05:56 PM
I do hope they at least allow day one customers of the iPhone 4 buy the 4s day one for 200$....

Nicky G
Oct 4, 2011, 06:11 PM
One of my two lines is eligible for cheaper upgrade pricing through AT&T, but it's not the line I actually want to upgrade. I called AT&T to see if I could switch eligibility between my two lines, and the girl I got said I had to go to an AT&T store to do that. This sounds bunk, as I thought I'd heard they can do this eligibility switch between lines right over the phone using their system. Does anybody have any experience with this? Thanks in advance!

And yes I have an iPhone 4 and YES I am psyched for the 4S and YEESSSS Siri is freaking AWEEESOOOMMME so all the haters can keep hating, and the rest of us will happily live out our lives in The Future. :)

smithwinston
Oct 4, 2011, 06:16 PM
Got iPhone 4 when it came out, I pay ~$120/month for the thing and have done the "free" early upgrade thing for iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 in the past.

Called AT&T and they insist it's going to be $199 + $250 early upgrade fee, they wouldn't budge on that. They were kind enough to tell me that my ETF is only $90 as of now (I have until June '12, so 8 months left?) -- I told them I'll switch to Verizon!

-w

RafaelT
Oct 4, 2011, 06:22 PM
Got iPhone 4 when it came out, I pay ~$120/month for the thing and have done the "free" early upgrade thing for iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 in the past.

Called AT&T and they insist it's going to be $199 + $250 early upgrade fee, they wouldn't budge on that. They were kind enough to tell me that my ETF is only $90 as of now (I have until June '12, so 8 months left?) -- I told them I'll switch to Verizon!

-w

That's weird that at $120/m your not eligible. Do you have a bad payment history with them or anything?

smithwinston
Oct 4, 2011, 06:28 PM
That's weird that at $120/m your not eligible. Do you have a bad payment history with them or anything?

Nope. Perfect customer, direct debit since I switched from Verizon for the iPhone 3 launch. The lady on the phone was insistent that they would not waive the fee.

It seems insane, but my wild guess is that they're trying to keep their 4S inventory for new customers (since now they're competing with Verizon and Sprint) and they'll tell existing iPhone 4 customers we'll waive the upgrade fee next month or something like that.

So it's just like how Comcast/Verizon will give "switchers" a great deal on cable etc. but as a loyal customer, I get no discounts, no "you're a great customer, have 3 months free" unless I try to switch elsewhere.

Nicky G
Oct 4, 2011, 06:39 PM
Honestly, having to wait an extra month/month and a half to get the upgrade pricing is not that big a deal IMHO, I've generally been happy with AT&T and would never switch to a carrier where I couldn't be on a call and do data at the same time -- give me a break!

RafaelT
Oct 4, 2011, 06:41 PM
That sucks that your not eligible at that price point.

I bought the 4 on launch day and my bill was just under $100 until about 3 months ago, my bill is now $220/m. They bumped up my upgrade date about a month and a half ago and I am eligible.

It seems like $100+ there is usually some sort of early upgrade at the very least, really weird that they are giving you a hard time.

trunten
Oct 4, 2011, 06:44 PM
Can somebody explain preorder to me please?

tasslehawf
Oct 4, 2011, 06:50 PM
Bought my iPhone 4 on launch day. Have a family plan. Pay $180+/month. Perfect payment history etc. but they the $250 early upgrade fee.

I really wouldn't care except to need the latest hardware for development. I guess it's a tax write-off.

Dr Kevorkian94
Oct 4, 2011, 06:50 PM
That sucks that your not eligible at that price point.

I bought the 4 on launch day and my bill was just under $100 until about 3 months ago, my bill is now $220/m. They bumped up my upgrade date about a month and a half ago and I am eligible.

It seems like $100+ there is usually some sort of early upgrade at the very least, really weird that they are giving you a hard time.

We pay $160 it would be more if it weren't for the city discount we get, I'm going to call the m and bring up the fact that some of my friends have now become eligible, also the fact that the $ i have to pay is more than the ETF, and this that it seems that people who pay a big bill seem to get it. If customer service can't help ill head to the store. And ill bring up he fact that were loyal customers yada yada, hopefully they will indulge me. I also bought the 4 on launch day so it would be nice of them.

K4LK
Oct 4, 2011, 06:51 PM

That would be neat. After 2 years of dropped calls and lots of bad coverage areas in the Tampa Bay area, I'm going to give up my unlimited slightly faster data and the ability to surf and talk simultaneously and go Verizon. I use an average of 1 GB per month and have surfed while talking about 8 times in 28 months.

Dr Kevorkian94
Oct 4, 2011, 06:52 PM
Bought my iPhone 4 on launch day. Have a family plan. Pay $180+/month. Perfect payment history etc. but they the $250 early upgrade fee.

I really wouldn't care except to need the latest hardware for development. I guess it's a tax write-off.

You would think apple would have some plan for developers so that doesn't happen. It would benefit me as well.:confused:

winston1236
Oct 4, 2011, 07:09 PM
I am only a month away from an upgrade so I am hoping that AT&T will move my date up

you obviously don't know AT&Y very well, go ahead and get ready for your 1 month wait

bbotte
Oct 4, 2011, 07:10 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

So much for this app being available "Later today".

bbotte
Oct 4, 2011, 07:12 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Can somebody explain preorder to me please?

Not sure if serious.

smithwinston
Oct 4, 2011, 07:14 PM

They your ETF will be $90 like me. Switch to Verizon! Stick it to the man!

Actually with 3 vendors selling the 4S, I'd expect them to be fighting over each other with offers for switchers ... "AT&T customer? Come to Verizon, we'll pay the ETF for you".

But then again, with only 3 players, it's more like a cartel than a free market.

----------

Honestly, having to wait an extra month/month and a half to get the upgrade pricing is not that big a deal IMHO, I've generally been happy with AT&T and would never switch to a carrier where I couldn't be on a call and do data at the same time -- give me a break!

They are telling me end of Feb 2012!

RafaelT
Oct 4, 2011, 07:22 PM
That would be neat. After 2 years of dropped calls and lots of bad coverage areas in the Tampa Bay area, I'm going to give up my unlimited slightly faster data and the ability to surf and talk simultaneously and go Verizon. I use an average of 1 GB per month and have surfed while talking about 8 times in 28 months.

I am in Lakeland and am very tempted to switch myself. We go from 4 bars of coverage for two weeks to 1 bar of coverage for 2 months and so on... it is ridiculous.

jtara
Oct 4, 2011, 07:32 PM
I have a couple of questions for those of you who bought on launch day and aren't eligible for upgrade:

1. Where did you buy your iPhone? Apple or ATT? (And in person or online?)

2. What is your monthly billing for mobile service? (NOT mobile and landline combined, if you have landline.)

I show eligible. But I stood in line and bought from the Apple store.

It would be truly ironic if ATT were shutting out customers who bought from them on the first day! (That is, those few who managed to get a phone...)

Don't you have to spend >$100/month to get early upgrade? So, if you are on the lowest plan, you wouldn't qualify, right?

Wyvernspirit
Oct 4, 2011, 07:39 PM
...snip...

No it is not, the iPhone 4 is technically the first time they allowed it. The original iPhone was not subsidized so when the 3g came out it was an official subsidized phone from day one. The 3g S⃣ was the first after a subsidized iPhone and there was no full subsidize for 3g owners (I didn't get the 3g so got the 3g S⃣ fully subsidized) but you could get a $200 discount if you upgraded early. The iPhone 4 was a special circumstance as AT&T wanted to make sure to get people under contract for 2 years before the Verizon iPhone came out, so they gave us all a special discount. Now people want this special every-time, boy are we greedy :D !

Anyways, looking forward to my next iPhone, the iPhone 5, ou know, the one with Siri Telepathy installed, the iPhone controlled by the power of thought!

goobot
Oct 4, 2011, 07:52 PM
No it is not, the iPhone 4 is technically the first time they allowed it. The original iPhone was not subsidized so when the 3g came out it was an official subsidized phone from day one. The 3g S⃣ was the first after a subsidized iPhone and there was no full subsidize for 3g owners (I didn't get the 3g so got the 3g S⃣ fully subsidized) but you could get a $200 discount if you upgraded early. The iPhone 4 was a special circumstance as AT&T wanted to make sure to get people under contract for 2 years before the Verizon iPhone came out, so they gave us all a special discount. Now people want this special every-time, boy are we greedy :D !

Anyways, looking forward to my next iPhone, the iPhone 5, ou know, the one with Siri Telepathy installed, the iPhone controlled by the power of thought!

Nope, i got 3g day one, got 3gs day one for 200$, got 4 day one for 200$ and all using my own upgrades. They had a deal for both.

smithwinston
Oct 4, 2011, 08:13 PM
I have a couple of questions for those of you who bought on launch day and aren't eligible for upgrade:

1. Where did you buy your iPhone? Apple or ATT? (And in person or online?)

2. What is your monthly billing for mobile service? (NOT mobile and landline combined, if you have landline.)

I show eligible. But I stood in line and bought from the Apple store.

It would be truly ironic if ATT were shutting out customers who bought from them on the first day! (That is, those few who managed to get a phone...)

Don't you have to spend >$100/month to get early upgrade? So, if you are on the lowest plan, you wouldn't qualify, right?

1: Apple store online, delivered by FedEx on Launch day.
2: Mobile service only.

I thought the same about the >$100, I'm not on the lowest plan (my ~$120 is the monthly rate without overage).

----------

As I recall, they waived the early upgrade fee for the 3GS for people who were "early adopters" of the iPhone 3 when it came out and had >$100/month (there was a bit of outrage over it and AT&T caved).

I'll tell you what greedy is, charging >$100/month for a frigging phone service! I pay AT&T plenty, I want the new phones when they come out and I don't want to be nickel and dimed over it, I pay enough as it is.

cheekyweebrat
Oct 4, 2011, 08:50 PM
I got my response text and said that with a 2 year agreement I would have an upgrade fee of $18. I checked and I started with AT&T on 10-16-09 so it almost worked out to the day. I have the 3GS so I'll upgrade to this new one

tasslehawf
Oct 4, 2011, 09:59 PM
My wife washed her 3GS that she had less than a year and was able to upgrade to a 4 for the fully subsidized price.

smithwinston
Oct 4, 2011, 10:03 PM
Ask (or whine) and yea shall receive! I rechecked and now I'm eligible for the early upgrade pricing -- so $199 for a new iPhone 4S.

nostresshere
Oct 4, 2011, 10:04 PM
1 - For those of you that bought the "4" on day one, you agreed to a two year term. What is the beef? If you want to pay FULL PRICE, go ahead. If you want AT&T to eat part of the price, then wait till your two year term is up.

2 - re: swapping out upgrade eligiblity from another line. You sort of can do this. You actually upgrade the eligible phone, then swap sims (might have to get a new one).

SIUGRAD99
Oct 4, 2011, 10:11 PM
I was in line for the AT&T Store for the 3GS & Apple Store for the 4 on launch day and I am eligible both times for the early upgrade. I have 2 Iphone plans, unlimited texting and unlimited data on one and 2GB on the other.

musiciscool
Oct 4, 2011, 10:26 PM
1 - For those of you that bought the "4" on day one, you agreed to a two year term. What is the beef? If you want to pay FULL PRICE, go ahead. If you want AT&T to eat part of the price, then wait till your two year term is up.

2 - re: swapping out upgrade eligiblity from another line. You sort of can do this. You actually upgrade the eligible phone, then swap sims (might have to get a new one).

Att shouldn't want us to pay fullprice, because that is more than our early termination fee; which gives us comets freedom to go to Verizon or even Sprint, who (rumors still say) may be getting an iPhone 5 running actual 4g this year.... Maybe I should actually thank AT&T for giving me all this incentive for waiting the Sprint iphone5?

zipster
Oct 4, 2011, 10:27 PM
Will downloading this app upgrade my 4 to have an A5 processor, 8MP camera, and Siri? :confused:

asleep
Oct 4, 2011, 10:39 PM
Ha, AT&T is trying to lose customers...

Jul 18, 2011
As a valued customer, we can offer you a full upgrade with a new 2-year commitment and $18 up grade fee.

Now its:

Oct 4, 2011
A full discount on a standard device or iPhone upgrade is not available at this time but you may qualify on 02/16/2012. We can offer you a discounted iPhone upgrade at a 2-yr commitment pricing +$250 and an $18 upgrade fee...

Assures even lower demand for the iPhone 4+. Sorry, AAPL.

rye9
Oct 4, 2011, 11:15 PM
you obviously don't know AT&Y very well, go ahead and get ready for your 1 month wait

I bought iPhone 4 on launch day, and my upgrade was 11/25/2011. I called today, got denied twice... but third time's the charm; they moved up upgrade eligibility to 10/14/2011. When I pre-order it obviously won't register as eligible for the $199 price, but you don't pay then anyways so I'll just have to work it out at the Apple Store when I pick it up.

brop52
Oct 4, 2011, 11:32 PM
Just an FYI for anyone preordering. If you use ebates you can get extra cash back in addition to $5 if you are new to sign up for ebates. You must go through ebates to preorder and stay on the same page while completing the order.

Apple gives you 1% cash back
Sprint is $40 with a new contract
Verizon is between $10 and $27
ATT is $50

Back in June 2009 when I got my 3GS I used a Bing cashback deal going and got quite a bit off on that purchase. Looking back I got $93.80 back on my purchase of $268. (Bought Applecare as well through ATT).

Upgraded
Oct 5, 2011, 12:00 AM
Same here! I have the same text message.. As long as i have a subsidized price and only $18 upgrade fee.. I am cool with it. I like ATT :)

Quick question- Is your Iphone associated with a FAN acct? Mine is and I wondered if that's why I dont have to pay the regular price.
(I got my Iphone4 on release day last year, so there is really no way that I should be eligible)

For example, I bought my iPhone 4 a couple weeks after introduction. My response was, "As a valued customer, we can offer you an upgrade with a new 2-year commitment and an $18 upgrade fee."

I'd have to pay the subsidized price for the iPhone 4S, of course. But it'd be the subsidized price. My contract would be extended for two years, too, AFAIK. But that's okay, I really have no problem with AT&T.

Mac Peter
Oct 5, 2011, 12:05 AM
Using the At & T "tool" I discovered that while my family bought and registered 2 iPhone 4 models at the same time only the primary family member can upgrade at the discounted price right now, other has to wait 4 months or pay and additional $300. Some reward for being with AT & T for years through each Iphone upgrade. It is cheaper to cancel the AT & T line and move to Verizon. How is that for customer appreciation>

kreilly
Oct 5, 2011, 03:32 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Why can't I find this app? Is it not released yet?

bbotte
Oct 5, 2011, 05:38 AM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Why can't I find this app? Is it not released yet?

No it is not out yet.

K4LK
Oct 5, 2011, 05:46 AM

No it is not out yet.

I downloaded it last night via iTunes. Can't find it now. They must have pulled it from the store.

FreakinEurekan
Oct 5, 2011, 07:42 AM
Using the At & T "tool" I discovered that while my family bought and registered 2 iPhone 4 models at the same time only the primary family member can upgrade at the discounted price right now, other has to wait 4 months or pay and additional $300.
Early eligibility is based on the amount of revenue generated by the individual phone. Your primary phone represents a larger $ amount of your total monthly bill, so it becomes eligible for early upgrade more quickly than secondary phones.

jlc1978
Oct 5, 2011, 07:47 AM
One of my two lines is eligible for cheaper upgrade pricing through AT&T, but it's not the line I actually want to upgrade. I called AT&T to see if I could switch eligibility between my two lines, and the girl I got said I had to go to an AT&T store to do that. This sounds bunk, as I thought I'd heard they can do this eligibility switch between lines right over the phone using their system. Does anybody have any experience with this? Thanks in advance!

And yes I have an iPhone 4 and YES I am psyched for the 4S and YEESSSS Siri is freaking AWEEESOOOMMME so all the haters can keep hating, and the rest of us will happily live out our lives in The Future. :)

I've moved phones between lines with no problems. If both phones are iPhones all you should have to do is swap SIMS after you upgrade the other line. If they aren't, you may need to go to a store to do the swap.

AlphaVictor87
Oct 5, 2011, 08:09 AM
I wouldn't take any word from AT&T final until the phone turns up in their system. Go try and search for the phone and its not on their site. Even on the new att.com/upgrader site if you put in your info, the 4s isn't even an option yet.

I have a date of 11/25/2011 for my upgrade date, i bought a 3GS on the release date of the 4 (yes i feel like an idiot now because this phone sucks lol)

Its only wednesday, the app isn't out yet. For all we know AT&T is trying to negotiate a lower upgrade fee for anyone that is eligibile within a certian time period.

So until Friday hits or that app comes out, i'll still have hope that an early upgrade will come my way.

EVEN SO, we all still get iOS 5 next wednesday!!! I'm still excited about that

jonjames
Oct 5, 2011, 08:25 AM
I bought iPhone 4 on launch day, and my upgrade was 11/25/2011. I called today, got denied twice... but third time's the charm; they moved up upgrade eligibility to 10/14/2011. When I pre-order it obviously won't register as eligible for the $199 price, but you don't pay then anyways so I'll just have to work it out at the Apple Store when I pick it up.

ok now im getting upset with at&t, i checked yesterday and had the same original upgrade eligibility date as you, 11/25/11. so i called today to try to persuade them to allow me to upgrade on the release date.. i was told there was nothing they could do and i even asked to speak to someone so that i can cancel my account, once on the line with the cancellation department, we talked for over 30 mins, he was trying to persuade me that its not that big of an update from the iphone 4 to 4s, we had a pleasant conversation, i found out i have an early termination fee of $90 if i were to cancel today, he offered me a $90 credit to my account over 3 months because he claimed he couldnt change the upgrade date, his hands were tied because apple controls that aspect and the iphone. ive been with at&t since the original iphone and have upgraded every year on release date of the new one. i am on a family plan, i am the account holder and primary line, i added a fan discount to my account in june of this year and an additonal iphone 4 at the same time. previously with 2 lines i was paying $189 a month, now with 3 lines and the fan discount i pay $179 a month. DAMN AT&T WHY WONT YOU LET ME UPGRADE???

tasslehawf
Oct 5, 2011, 09:43 AM
I suppose unless there's is an SDK for Siri, then I don't need the 4s.

I wonder what is different this year as opposed to the previous years that would prompt at&t to not want early adopters to be early adopters again this year. With the new non-exclusivity, you'd think they would want to retain customers not force them to switch to other carriers.

phantom5251
Oct 5, 2011, 11:38 AM
I got an iPhone 4 during launch last year. As of last night, my upgrade date was 2/20/2012...I check this afternoon, and now it's 11/19/2011. So just a heads up for those still with AT&T, you may want to continually keep an eye on your upgrade date.

BBQXXX
Oct 5, 2011, 11:45 AM
I got my 4 on release date as well and I am getting the same plus $250 upgrade fee mssg. I wonder if my cancel fee is only $90 as well. If it is I think I will just switch to Verizon and pay the fee.

ZAiPhone
Oct 5, 2011, 12:27 PM

Thanks I did that and got the same $18 msg. Logged in online and the first thing I got was a page saying I was eligible for the upgrade. Same I can upgrade for $18. I bought on day 2 at an Apple store. Only had to be an hour early to be #2 in line on Day 2. I spend $125/Month. Plus Apple is offering up to $200 for your old phone (o8

phreebsd
Oct 5, 2011, 09:03 PM
is the app still not up?

RafaelT
Oct 5, 2011, 09:09 PM
i added a fan discount to my account in june of this year and an additonal iphone 4 at the same time. previously with 2 lines i was paying $189 a month, now with 3 lines and the fan discount i pay $179 a month. DAMN AT&T WHY WONT YOU LET ME UPGRADE???

Do you not realize that you just answered your own question?

You are now getting more service for less money. And you wonder why they won't upgrade you early?

vitzr
Oct 5, 2011, 09:18 PM
That's up to you.... I know I trust Apple to handle my order correctly a lot more then AT&T.

Last year I ordered 2 iPhone 4 models from Apple Online the moment the store opened. Immediately after, I ordered two via AT&T online.

My AT&T order was processed perfectly and I was kept informed via emails until it arrived one day in advance of release day.

My Apple order was kicked out of the system along with hundred to thousands of others, due to Apples internal breakdown. I was fortunate to learn this as it occured due my own vigilance, since Apple failed to send out notifications until 48 hours later.

To get to the bottom line, my Apple sourced phones took 15 days longer to arrive, than they should have.

Lesson learned? Don't expect Apple to perform as they promise. They know the customer has no choice but to put up with their errors.

RafaelT
Oct 5, 2011, 09:28 PM
Last year I ordered 2 iPhone 4 models from Apple Online the moment the store opened. Immediately after, I ordered two via AT&T online.

My AT&T order was processed perfectly and I was kept informed via emails until it arrived one day in advance of release day.

My Apple order was kicked out of the system along with hundred to thousands of others, due to Apples internal breakdown. I was fortunate to learn this as it occured due my own vigilance, since Apple failed to send out notifications until 48 hours later.

To get to the bottom line, my Apple sourced phones took 15 days longer to arrive, than they should have.

Lesson learned? Don't expect Apple to perform as they promise. They know the customer has no choice but to put up with their errors.

I do realize that apple is not perfect. But on the other hand I have had plenty of problems with AT&T orders as well.... and they weren't even during a huge launch event. Neither company is going to 100% perfect, I have a little more faith in Apple learning from there mistakes and fixing issues though more then I do at&t.. just my personal opinion.

vitzr
Oct 5, 2011, 09:33 PM
previously with 2 lines i was paying $189 a month, now with 3 lines and the fan discount i pay $179 a month. DAMN AT&T WHY WONT YOU LET ME UPGRADE???
Here's why. I have two lines for myself that total $199 per month. When I called to ad a third for my second Android phone we discussed upgrade requirements.

I was told that two lines at $199 was the cutoff for eligibility. Anything less does not qualify. So while you are very close its that extra $20 that is preventing you from upgrading.

As far as ETF fees they are the same as my Verizon account. $350 is the start point, then it's reduced on a prorated amount each month. So everyone will have a different ETF amount depending on the age of their line.

BBQXXX
Oct 5, 2011, 10:52 PM
I called AT&T and they said my early term fee was like 150 or 175 or something and I bought the 4 on launch. So I don't know how you other guys are getting the $90 price when you upgraded at the same time...

bbotte
Oct 6, 2011, 07:49 AM
This app is mystical, like Nessie.

srcstc
Oct 6, 2011, 09:22 AM

Anyone else get their date moved up?

jonjames
Oct 6, 2011, 11:03 AM
Do you not realize that you just answered your own question?

You are now getting more service for less money. And you wonder why they won't upgrade you early?

im not asking for a upgrade on all lines, just the bread winner, primary line. in years previous, they allowed me to upgrade but not my wife, because my line was the primary and the one incurring most of the charges. im sure my primary line costs more per month than most others who may be eligible for an upgrade, that is if others ip4 release day owners are eligible.

mrjayd
Oct 6, 2011, 12:12 PM
and I have always been eligible for the upgrade price. Don't know why that is but I am not complaining especially when I always sell my old one for more that I pay for the new one..... :-)

phreebsd
Oct 6, 2011, 02:20 PM
where is the app?!
i getto order in 12 hours and its still not there. was really looking for quick and convenient.

RafaelT
Oct 6, 2011, 02:21 PM
where is the app?!
i getto order in 12 hours and its still not there. was really looking for quick and convenient.

It would be awesome if Apple didn't approve it in time for pre orders.

centauratlas
Oct 6, 2011, 03:02 PM
That is what I wonder - where is the app? I'm guessing it won't make it in time now. It wasn't as if this came as some big surprise to AT&T.

where is the app?!

Peace
Oct 6, 2011, 04:44 PM
The heck with AT&T . I'll order mine from Apple.

lnferno
Oct 6, 2011, 06:46 PM
Yah, I was expecting that app by now -- what gives?

Decisions, decisions. Order from AT&T website or Apple website?

bbotte
Oct 6, 2011, 07:08 PM

Both will be down from traffic. :)

ALR26
Oct 6, 2011, 09:40 PM
I got my 4 on release date as well and I am getting the same plus $250 upgrade fee mssg. I wonder if my cancel fee is only $90 as well. If it is I think I will just switch to Verizon and pay the fee.

I'm willing to bet that many people who switch from AT&T to Sprint or Verizon don't know that they won't be able to use data while on a call. For me, that's a deal killer. I love having the ability to use both simultaneously and I use it often.

firstapple
Oct 6, 2011, 09:43 PM
I'm willing to bet that many people who switch from AT&T to Sprint or Verizon don't know that they won't be able to use data while on a call. For me, that's a deal killer. I love having the ability to use both simultaneously and I use it often.

AT&T, is that you?

ALR26
Oct 6, 2011, 09:59 PM
AT&T, is that you?

Am I AT&T? No, just a college student.

bryanhalpin
Oct 6, 2011, 10:09 PM
really not sure where you guys have been looking but I have had the AT&T Upgrader App now since yesterday. Here is a link:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/at-t-upgrader/id465465267?mt=8

lnferno
Oct 6, 2011, 10:20 PM
really not sure where you guys have been looking but I have had the AT&T Upgrader App now since yesterday. Here is a link:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/at-t-upgrader/id465465267?mt=8

Thanks for the link. When I search in the App store on my iphone, it can't find it?

rman726
Oct 6, 2011, 11:57 PM
Thanks for the link. When I search in the App store on my iphone, it can't find it?

Same. Engadget had posted that it was on the App Store, and then taken down. Weird that I couldn't find it on my iPhone. I don't see it on iTunes either unless I click that link... Weird.

----------

AT&T, is that you?

LOL. Was thinking the same thing. I rarely ever would need that feature. Didn't know it was actually useful to many people. lol.

monoskier
Oct 7, 2011, 12:06 AM
Stores down :)

Black107
Oct 7, 2011, 01:54 AM
Stores down :)

AT&T's account management tools are toast and it's not even 12. I figure this means Apple.com's access to AT&T's database is going to be ****** again. *Sigh* You'd think they would have learned from last year.

h0mi
Oct 7, 2011, 02:23 AM
P1234: We apologize for the inconvenience, but we are unable to support this request online. Please contact Premier Support at 1-866-499-8008 Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 9 p.m. Eastern Time for assistance with your request. Please reference Error P1234 if you speak to a representative about this error.

WTF...

The app itself doesnt work, I keep getting "Our express upgrade store does not currently support your device type (3gs). Please login to myatt to upgrade online."

hscottm
Oct 7, 2011, 03:26 AM
new wrinkle this year is with trying to get through multiple times to verify upgrade eligibility (and failing due to load), I am now locked out for an hour. wonderful.

jamespa66
Oct 7, 2011, 01:42 PM
This app proved to be useless to me. The only way I was able to place my order this AM was via the iPhone Apple store app. I couldn't even use the normal web to order on AT&T or Apple. Oh well at least I got my order in for a 64 GB Black almost went White but really like the look of Black.