Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geltab

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2007
So, I have 65 gb of music. Most of which I know aren't on the iTunes store. When they get uploaded to iCloud, do they count as part of the 5 gb limit?

For example, I have 65 gb of Grateful Dead music. I have checked the iTunes store. It doesn't have even half of what I own. This means that the tracks iTunes store doesn't have, have to be uploaded to the iCloud. What I am wondering is, do all the songs not on the iTunes store (which in this case is about 35 plus gigs of music) just get uploaded to iCloud for free or do I have to pay the iTunes match fee and all the storage space for the matched tunes that aren't on the iTunes store? In other words, does part of the $25 match fee include the storage of the 25,000 song limit?

WebHead

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2004
iTunes Match is separate to the 5GB limit. So you can theoretically store up to 25,000 songs for the $24.99.

geltab

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2007
Thanks for the reply. That is very worth it then. Can I download the actual songs to other devices I own or just stream the tunes that I have matched?

WebHead

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2004
It's downloading not streaming. It becomes worthwhile when your songs match as you get upgraded versions. But it's probably still worth the $25 just to access your tunes from anywhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.