PDA

View Full Version : Salon.com in Rough Water?


Durandal7
Oct 5, 2002, 01:45 AM
Salon.com may be in trouble. Their stock has closed at $0.01 USD today :eek:
http://finance.yahoo.com/quotes?symbols=salnc

Pepzhez
Oct 5, 2002, 04:01 AM
I always knew that the "Salon Premium" subscription model wouldn't save them. And I wasn't about to pay for it either.

Salon began with some potential, and steadily revealed itself to be a rubbish-laden yuppie magazine. Hard to mourn this one.

Chaszmyr
Oct 5, 2002, 04:44 AM
They were in trouble from the start. I just hope none of you had stock with them :-P

Pepzhez
Oct 5, 2002, 05:52 AM
Well you can buy stock now. I hear it's pretty cheap ...

alex_ant
Oct 5, 2002, 11:17 AM
Salon ought to drop its dead weight. Like Amy Reiter. If anyone deserves a good slapping, it's her. I never liked Salon because it always seemed a bit too pretentious for me, but there are other sites out there that manage to do alright without closing portions of their content to subscribers only. If they end up on the rocks, that's economic Darwinism for ya.

e-coli
Oct 5, 2002, 12:44 PM
Imagine that. A dot-com in financial trouble.

whodathunkit?

diorio
Oct 5, 2002, 12:58 PM
Well, if you bought 100 shares, for a penny each, and the stock rebounded, you could have yourself a hefty amount of money. (I doubt it will rebound, but its nice to think of the possiblilities.)

Taft
Oct 5, 2002, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Pepzhez
I always knew that the "Salon Premium" subscription model wouldn't save them. And I wasn't about to pay for it either.

Salon began with some potential, and steadily revealed itself to be a rubbish-laden yuppie magazine. Hard to mourn this one.

I proudly payed for my membership and never regretted it. For my money, they have some of the best commentary out there. Sure, some of their columnists are crap, but what publication with that many columnists (aka. people giving opinions) doesn't have a few bad eggs.

If Salon goes down, I'm not sure what could replace it for me. There aren't a lot of rational and sensible left-leaning publications on the internet. I would be very sorry to see them go.

Taft

Pepzhez
Oct 5, 2002, 05:03 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk

Best British paper: long established with solid reputation, higher caliber of writing than Salon, excellent columnists, left-leaning, free online.

Quark
Oct 5, 2002, 06:45 PM
Bye Salon.com.

Can't believe it still exists.

What a waste of precious web resources and people's time.

Quark

Taft
Oct 6, 2002, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by Quark
Bye Salon.com.

Can't believe it still exists.

What a waste of precious web resources and people's time.

Quark

Good to hear from the far right. :rolleyes:

Taft
Oct 6, 2002, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Pepzhez
http://www.guardian.co.uk

Best British paper: long established with solid reputation, higher caliber of writing than Salon, excellent columnists, left-leaning, free online.

I've seen in print many times, but hadn't thought to check it out online. I have a feeling its going to be too Euro-centric for me. Not that its a bad thing, but I liked Salon because they kept me appraised of the current US events. I tend to get my international new elsewhere (like the economist). But thanks for the suggestion.

I suppose I should probably be preparing...just in case. :(

Taft

dricci
Oct 6, 2002, 10:00 AM
Oh no! Now I'll have to find a new dump to hang out at! I hear MSN has some sucky writers.. Hmm, that's it! I'm Switching to Windows! :rolleyes: :D

Pepzhez
Oct 6, 2002, 02:46 PM
The truth is, the European press does a MUCH better job covering US politics and geopolitical conflicts than the corporate American press does. Not that this comes as a big surprise to anyone ...

Durandal7
Oct 6, 2002, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Pepzhez
The truth is, the European press does a MUCH better job covering US politics and geopolitical conflicts than the corporate American press does. Not that this comes as a big surprise to anyone ...
Amen to that. I can't even stand much American press anymore. The worst is by far the TV news, which I have started to ignore.

funkywhat2
Oct 6, 2002, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by dricci
Oh no! Now I'll have to find a new dump to hang out at! I hear MSN has some sucky writers.. Hmm, that's it! I'm Switching to Windows! :rolleyes: :D

WARNING: ONE LINER COMING

can i come too?

whoops, that was two, now three, lines:)

Taft
Oct 7, 2002, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by Pepzhez
The truth is, the European press does a MUCH better job covering US politics and geopolitical conflicts than the corporate American press does. Not that this comes as a big surprise to anyone ...

While I agree that European press has a much more balanced view of the world and they cover the international relations much better than the US, they often have a very skewed and somewhat limited understanding of our domestic politics. They apply their own set of politics to our system of government, and that often just doesn't work for me. For really good reporting on whats going on in our government, you NEED an "insider's" opinion/analysis. There are some columnists at Salon who are really good at this. Ariannna Huffington is one of my favorites.

Having the French give opinions on what the current political situation in the US is, is like the US telling Iraqi's what the current situation in their country is. Sure, there is no freedom of speech there, but how can another country or its reporters come in and give an accurate and balanced assesment of the situation?

Taft

awrc
Oct 7, 2002, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Taft


Good to hear from the far right. :rolleyes:

That's ironic, it's Salon's recent political shift that pretty much made me give up on reading it. It used to have what I'd call a slightly leftist slant, but they at least made an attempt at balance occasionally and sometimes even went against the grain. It was quite an enjoyable read for someone like me (I'd call myself centrist).

Then, roughly around the time they went subscription (and presumably because they thought it would bring in most subscribers) they shifted way to the left, seem to have added a requirement of "at least one 'Bush Is A Moron' article a day" and basically started preaching the full cliched liberal agenda. Now it's got the "anyone whose politics differ from ours is a far-right extremist" attitude demonstrated above. It's a parody of what the site used to be.

Al

topicolo
Oct 7, 2002, 09:21 AM
Salon's stock is up 300% as of 10:24EST this morning. Of course, this is on volumes of around 30000, so the total amount of money changing hands is only $1200. Lol:D
I could triple the price too!

Mr. Anderson
Oct 7, 2002, 09:25 AM
So I've never heard of salon.com, took a look and wondered what they're trying to do - what is/was their mission?

Taft
Oct 7, 2002, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by awrc


That's ironic, it's Salon's recent political shift that pretty much made me give up on reading it. It used to have what I'd call a slightly leftist slant, but they at least made an attempt at balance occasionally and sometimes even went against the grain. It was quite an enjoyable read for someone like me (I'd call myself centrist).

Then, roughly around the time they went subscription (and presumably because they thought it would bring in most subscribers) they shifted way to the left, seem to have added a requirement of "at least one 'Bush Is A Moron' article a day" and basically started preaching the full cliched liberal agenda. Now it's got the "anyone whose politics differ from ours is a far-right extremist" attitude demonstrated above. It's a parody of what the site used to be.

Al

I don't think thats fair. Remember the Clinton-bashing they used to do? They had a daily column devoted to it and always had stories with pictures of his puffy face next to a nasty headline. They are president bashers, if anything.

They've always declared themselves to be slightly left. And they have columnists who proclaim themselves to be the right's watchdogs. David Horowitz comes to mind (anyone know what his political affiliation is??) as does that new guy they are paying to write about how the left is wrong, wrong, wrong (I don't care for him much :) ). Anyway, I don't think they lean so far left as to be in danger of toppling.

My comment on comments from the far right was a reaction to the general opinion the right has of Salon.

Taft

diorio
Oct 7, 2002, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Durandal7

Amen to that. I can't even stand much American press anymore. The worst is by far the TV news, which I have started to ignore.

One really annoying thing is all of the campaign adds between the news. Its sad how the people running for office have so little to say that they basically just find something the other canidate did bad and rip them apart for it.

Durandal7
Oct 7, 2002, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Taft
Anyway, I don't think they lean so far left as to be in danger of toppling.

My comment on comments from the far right was a reaction to the general opinion the right has of Salon.

Taft
I didn't think that they were that left-leaning either. I am a conservative but I would read Salon once in a while and they never seemed very far-left to me.

Chaszmyr
Oct 7, 2002, 10:24 PM
hehe when it was at 1 cent i bought $10 of it.. now its 5 cents. I made money! hehe

Durandal7
Oct 7, 2002, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Chaszmyr
hehe when it was at 1 cent i bought $10 of it.. now its 5 cents. I made money! hehe
Not bad. If it keeps going up you could make quite a bit of money :D

jaredbbauer
Oct 8, 2002, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Chaszmyr
hehe when it was at 1 cent i bought $10 of it.. now its 5 cents. I made money! hehe

To bad that it is going to take much more than that to pay your fees for buying the stock... haha i should buy some to just so that i could say i owned a lot of something.

happygoodies
Oct 8, 2002, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by Durandal7

I didn't think that they were that left-leaning either. I am a conservative but I would read Salon once in a while and they never seemed very far-left to me.

Are you joking??? Here are the past five articles on the Politics section:

Bush has a bridge he wants to sell you -- again
Shifty logic, misinformation, cheap panaceas -- the White House marketing plan for Iraq looks a lot like the pitch for last year's tax cuts. By Eric Boehlert

A kinder, gentler war pitch
In a Monday night speech, President Bush shifted his rhetoric in an effort to seal the deal with a skeptical public.
By Anthony York

Joe Conason's Journal
Supreme Court passes on case, and Lautenberg's in. Will Forrester run on the issues now? Plus: What Bush won't address tonight.
(Hint: "what bush won't address" is "nonexistent" reports of threats, his "father and the military-business-industrial complex" that created Hussein, etc)

When Jeb Bush speaks, people cringe
The governor's lesbian joke about the women arrested in the Rilya Wilson case is the latest example of his mean sense of humor -- when he thinks the media isn't listening.
By Joy-Ann Reid 10/05/02

"A big, big mistake"
Back from his controversial trip to Iraq, Rep. Mike Thompson, D-Calif., talks about his concern over a unilateral strike against Saddam.
By Anthony York 10/04/02

The "conservative" articles are token articles just like every college newspaper in the country has to make it seem slightly "unbiased." Even the conservative articles mostly seem somewhat moderate.

I consider myself moderate or even left-leaning but Salon's political articles make Karl Marx seem like a confederate. They have decent tech articles, though.

Taft
Oct 8, 2002, 05:25 AM
Gore: All talk? The ex-veep advocates more discussion about Bush's handling of the economy, without offering solutions of his own.
By Anthony York [10/02/02]

"More World, less bank" -- fewer protesters Last weekend's lame protests raise the question: Is the nascent anti-globalization movement already dying?
By Joshua Micah Marshall [09/30/02]

Gephardt's big blunder The House Democratic leader decided to go along with Bush's Iraq plan, hoping the issue would go away. It hasn't -- and antiwar Dems fear now their protests will be too late.
By Anthony York [09/28/02]

Democrat disarray As Republicans call Saddam's concession a victory for tough talk, Democrats scramble to find a unified response.
By Anthony York [09/18/02]


or from other sections...


The new racial profilers
Ward Connerly's new crusade would get the government out of the business of tracking everybody's racial identity. But liberals still don't get it. By David Horowitz [2002-08-19]

Mau-mauing the Middle East Palestinians are the latest chic cause on campus. Now American Jews are trying to brand criticism of Israel as anti-Semitic -- and even un-American.
By Michelle Goldberg [09/30/02]

The opportunist Idiocy of the week: Al Gore.
By Andrew Sullivan [09/24/02]


Look, no-one is saying Salon doesn't lean left. But that in no way discredits their journalistic skills. They have bad writing and they have good writing. They have conservative columnists and they have (a lot of) liberal columnists. Overall, I think they put out very positive and rational arguments, which is more than most online mags can say.

By trying to brand them as left-worshipping scum, you guys are only diminishing yourselves. They are not a strictly news publication. They give opinion. Just because they don't split fifty-fifty left-right, doesn't invalidate them. If you are looking for a publication that gives you a right-only viewpoint or a completely balanced left-right viewpoint, Salon probably isn't the place for you. Good luck finding that place, though, 'cause it probably doesn't exist.

Taft

Quark
Oct 8, 2002, 12:21 PM
Taft, are you kidding?!

Twisted statements and half-truths with very slanted opinions is useless to everyone and doesn't help the world become a better place.


The opportunist Idiocy of the week: Al Gore.
By Andrew Sullivan [09/24/02]

This is such a joke! Most Democrats and Liberals think that Al Gore is an idiot. I bet you haven't read his book, have you?

Why are you so heck bent on defending Salon.Com? Do you own their stock or are you an employee?

Give it a rest already.:rolleyes:

happygoodies
Oct 8, 2002, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Taft

Look, no-one is saying Salon doesn't lean left. But that in no way discredits their journalistic skills. They have bad writing and they have good writing. They have conservative columnists and they have (a lot of) liberal columnists. Overall, I think they put out very positive and rational arguments, which is more than most online mags can say.


All of those articles you cited (except for David Horowitz's, because he is the token high-profile crazy far righty) are far-far-left articles about the disappointment of only slightly-left politicians. I read Andrew Sullivan's and he seems moderate and smart, although his article seems like a rare fair piece.

Salon's not a horrible online magazine, but it's clearly far-left in their politics coverage and pretty pretentious in all of their sections.

I read Salon on my Palm at night for mostly the tech articles, which are often very good and in-depth. And they even stick in their political agenda in their sometimes, like last night's "In Greed We Trusted" -- and article about those damn capitalists.

Even still, reading Yellow Times (http://www.yellowtimes.org/) makes Salon seem very even-sided.

Taft
Oct 9, 2002, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Quark
Taft, are you kidding?!

Twisted statements and half-truths with very slanted opinions is useless to everyone and doesn't help the world become a better place.


This is such a joke! Most Democrats and Liberals think that Al Gore is an idiot. I bet you haven't read his book, have you?

Why are you so heck bent on defending Salon.Com? Do you own their stock or are you an employee?

Give it a rest already.:rolleyes:

Why?? Because I like their magazine!! Isn't that obvious?? I neither own stock, nor do I work for them. And I'm not "heck bent" on defending them. I just think that branding them crazy far left is not accurate. Just because I disagree with you, doesn't make me a zealot. Why are YOU so upset that I would DARE defend Salon??? I like the mag, want to see it stay around, and don't think it deserves the bashing that some of you are giving it. Get it!?!?!

And I don't get why you think I'm kidding. Is it because I thought the Gore articles are an example of non-left reporting?? Because "most liberals" think that Al Gore is a joke?? I don't get where you are going.

They are left. Solidly left. But I don't agree that they have "token" right writers to make it appear balanced. Nor do I think that the articles I quoted are disappointment by far-left journalist over more moderate politicians. We simply disagree.

The fact of the matter is that judgement over how far left an entity is, is completely subjective. I'm obviously left of happygoodies and FAR left of Quark. Therefore we have different opinions of the politics of EVERY person and mag out there. If you ask Ann Coulter, she would tell you that every moderate out there is pandering to the left. If you ask Chomskey, he'd tell you they were pandering to the right.

As an example, I probably think that Andrew Sullivan is far more right than you do, happygoodies. You can call me a left-ist a**hole, but it really just comes down to perspective.

Its a matter of perspective. And *I* think Salon is worth a lot more than the two of you give it credit for. Personal opinion.

Taft

Quark
Oct 9, 2002, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Taft
... You can call me a left-ist <bad name>, but it really just comes down to perspective.

Its a matter of perspective. And *I* think Salon is worth a lot more than the two of you give it credit for. Personal opinion.

Taft

A. I would never call you a bad name.

B. Take a breath and relax

C. Without extreme far-leftists, we wouldn't know right from wrong -- so we need you.

Quark

voicegy
Oct 9, 2002, 07:30 PM
I, for one, will mourn the loss of Salon if it comes to that. Thank goodness for my Harpers subscription. *sigh*