PDA

View Full Version : Apple Offering Micro USB Adapters to European Customers

MacRumors
Oct 4, 2011, 04:20 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/04/apple-offering-micro-usb-adapters-to-european-customers/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/10/microusb-150x103.jpg

In 2010, the European Union introduced a new policy (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/08/05/european-commission-set-to-adopt-universal-micro-usb-smartphone-charging-standard-in-january/) to require new phones sold in Europe to support charging via MicroUSB, in an effort to standardize charging systems across all mobile phone makers.

Apple has begun offering (http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MD099ZM/A) Micro USB Adapters for the iPhone, shipping October 14 to EU customers. The adapter costs 8 or EUR9 and should also be included in the iPhone 4S when it ships later this month.
"Introduction of the universal charger will make life much simpler for EU consumers," said Dennis Abbott, a European Commission spokesperson. "When you discover you've left your charger at home or work, you will be able to use someone else's, knowing it will fit your phone. How cool is that?"

The industry agreed that the new charger will be for all smartphones and all "data-enabled" phones - and will use a micro-USB connector. The new universal chargers will not cover older mobile phones.Support for micro-USB charging via an adapter, rather than plugging directly into the phone, is allowed by the EU policy. Apple isn't required to include an actual micro-USB port directly on the iPhone.

Article Link: Apple Offering Micro USB Adapters to European Customers (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/04/apple-offering-micro-usb-adapters-to-european-customers/)

richard4339
Oct 4, 2011, 04:22 PM
I think it's odd they don't offer this at least for sale outside the EU. I would prefer this.

However, I'll assume it only works for power and not anything else the dock connector can be used for.

wordoflife
Oct 4, 2011, 04:22 PM
That's pretty cool.

RamboRab
Oct 4, 2011, 04:23 PM
I submited that story! :)

BillyBobBongo
Oct 4, 2011, 04:24 PM

Me too! ;)

daxomni
Apple isn't required to include an actual micro-USB port directly on the iPhone.
Or required to include the adapter either?

In that case how does the law help anyone?

You're still completely dependent on a PROPRIETARY adapter!

Sounds like someone missed a rather glaring loophole. :confused:

OllyW
A nice and simple solution. I can't imagine why such a fuss was made when the standardised charger was first proposed.

jshbckr
Oct 4, 2011, 04:25 PM
Dang, I'd pick one of these up just to have for convenience. Sell it outside the EU!

OllyW
Oct 4, 2011, 04:27 PM

It's the charger which is standardised, the phone doesn't need to be and that's why they are allowed to use an adaptor. It was in the draft regulations from the beginning.

Biolizard
Oct 4, 2011, 04:32 PM
One of the few things the EU can be genuinely proud of achieving, this mandated micro-USB charging law :)

Bobbytoad
Oct 4, 2011, 04:35 PM
needs an adaptor - kind of defeats the purpose!

So included is a Power plug, sync cable and adaptor, or will the sync cable be in 2 parts - usb cable and adaptor? otherwise all its doing is creating more waste, which the legislation is trying to cut down on.

NathanA
"When you discover you've left your charger at home or work, you will be able to use someone else's, knowing it will fit your phone. How cool is that?"

What happens when you leave your adapter at home, though? :P

Apple IS including the adapter, as the article stated, with the 4S. They also are selling it to anybody who bought an iPhone before the adapter's existence.

-- Nathan

tendicott

Me too! ;)

As did I :)

marksman
Oct 4, 2011, 04:40 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Suck it Europe

scmacdaddy
Oct 4, 2011, 04:40 PM
i want one.

then one ipad charger and one micro usb cable charges my:

ipad, iphone, kindle, mophie juice pack.

wrinkster22
Oct 4, 2011, 04:41 PM
Thats kinda neat. Kinda want one now. So would they come with there iPhones? They pay enough for it.

RamboRab
Oct 4, 2011, 04:56 PM
Me too! ;)

We'll share the prize money! :D

rmwebs
Oct 4, 2011, 04:58 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Suck it Europe

Nice input there buddy...

----

Glad this has finally been done...very useful for the car really as most satnav's use MicroUSB now so you can share the power cable for a quick charge!

Corban987
Oct 4, 2011, 05:00 PM
This is not that great an idea, how many will actually carry the adpter. I have had adpaters on phones before and when you need them you don't have them. More than likely it will sit on a cable with your computer and when your are out everything will be packed up at home and no one will have one on them.

japasneezemonk
Oct 4, 2011, 05:14 PM
I want one of these so I an charge my iPhone with my Kindles' micro-usb cable.

KevinC867
Oct 4, 2011, 05:14 PM
I think it's odd they don't offer this at least for sale outside the EU. I would prefer this.

However, I'll assume it only works for power and not anything else the dock connector can be used for.

It works for syncing as well as charging. The Apple dock cables just convert to the standard four USB signals, so there's no reason this adapter can't do that as well.

jayducharme
Oct 4, 2011, 05:18 PM
That's probably the most elegant adapter Apple's ever made. It's compact and unobtrusive. I wish they made their HDMI adapter like that. Also, it's strange that most iPhones are black, yet all their accessories are white.

mungo2k
Oct 4, 2011, 05:26 PM

According to the Apple site, you can sync through it too.

theBB
Oct 4, 2011, 05:34 PM
This is not that great an idea, how many will actually carry the adpter. I have had adpaters on phones before and when you need them you don't have them. More than likely it will sit on a cable with your computer and when your are out everything will be packed up at home and no one will have one on them.
I think the environmentally friendly idea is to make phones, so that you do not have to buy a new wall charger or a car charger with every new phone. I don't think it was ever about making it easy to for you to charge your phone when you left your charger at home by mistake.

Beaubarre
Oct 4, 2011, 05:36 PM

The point of the legislation is that in the future, the smartphones in EU won't be selling with a power adaptor as most likely everybody will already have one, which would reduce massively the waste associated with the redundant power adaptors.

Of course phones with another power plug like the iPhone will still ship with their proprietary adaptator because Apple cannot count on the owner having that specific power adaptator.

JTToft
Oct 4, 2011, 06:11 PM
Good addition, but where I'm from an Apple 30-pin connector cable is far more common than a micro-USB cable...

ade2bee
Oct 4, 2011, 06:27 PM
8 For something that most, if not all, phone companies include in the box. Come on Apple you're selling a premium product!

It's a stupid piece of plastic for goodness sake!

----------

Nope they work throughout the sync and other functions

OllyW
Oct 4, 2011, 06:29 PM
8 For something that most, if not all, phone companies include in the box. Come on Apple you're selling a premium product!

It probably will be included in the box...

...and should also be included in the iPhone 4S when it ships later this month.

ade2bee
Oct 4, 2011, 06:30 PM

We're going through a softly softly faze right now, but if you wish to trade after 2014 u'll have to supply a method of MicroUSB charging. It came in in 2010

ArtOfWarfare
Oct 4, 2011, 06:31 PM
I'd be a little concerned the add on would somehow damage the dock connector.

Also... this product sounds outright silly, now that I'm thinking about it.

The hypothetical situation that this creates a solution for is the one where you've managed to already forget one component, the normal USB to 30 Pin Connector cable, but somehow managed to both remember your mini-USB to 30 Pin Connector and found a USB to mini-USB cable.

ade2bee
Oct 4, 2011, 06:32 PM

So included is a Power plug, sync cable and adaptor, or will the sync cable be in 2 parts - usb cable and adaptor? otherwise all its doing is creating more waste, which the legislation is trying to cut down on.

Apple will be the only company doing this due to the various docking system offshoot products that are used and available.

John.B
Oct 4, 2011, 06:34 PM

Chill.

It does come in the box for new iPhones (at least the ones sold in Europe).

If you got your iPhone before then (or lost yours) then you can buy a replacement.

jace88
Oct 4, 2011, 06:41 PM
I wonder if it'll be available internationally. As far as I can tell checking out my local Apple EPP website, it isn't :(

garylapointe
Oct 4, 2011, 07:22 PM
That's probably the most elegant adapter Apple's ever made. It's compact and unobtrusive.

Also, it's strange that most iPhones are black, yet all their accessories are white.

I'm so glad it's white. All my bags are black or dark grey and I can never find black accessories or connectors without dumping the whole bag out...

Gary

----------

I was out bike riding after the announcement today, and instead of enjoying nature I'm day-dreaming of my new iPhone, and this issue popped into my head. If I had a connector like this, I'd probably keep it in my backpack so if I'm in someone's car and need a top off, I'd be all set.

Gary

wackymacky
Oct 4, 2011, 07:46 PM
The point of the legislation is that in the future, the smartphones in EU won't be selling with a power adaptor as most likely everybody will already have one, which would reduce massively the waste associated with the redundant power adaptors.

Of course phones with another power plug like the iPhone will still ship with their proprietary adaptator because Apple cannot count on the owner having that specific power adaptator.

So Apple is going to stop providing chargers with a new phone?

Who, more profit for Apple. Make you fork out for the AV connection kit if you don't have an old charger floating around.

jtp098
Oct 4, 2011, 07:50 PM
Good addition, but where I'm from an Apple 30-pin connector cable is far more common than a micro-USB cable...

More micro USBs here. They are al over my house. I do want to get a dock though for the iPhone.

DESNOS
Oct 4, 2011, 08:15 PM
I really don't understand why so many europeans bend over and take anything the EU dishes at them. What happens when USB becomes obsolete? Ever given that some thought? Well, anyone who hasn't been asleep for the last decade will tell you that bureaucrats take years to overturn anything, if they ever.

It adds cost to every product sold now, that is largely unnecessary. Really, do we need to have a charger everywhere we go? I personally have never had this problem, but maybe I'm special? If the phone dies quickly, the solution isn't to mandate chargers everywhere, it's to buy a phone that doesn't have terrible battery life. It really is that simple. Vote with your money, not with your mouth. If your HTC Thunderbolt dies in 4 hours, well then guess what, there are many other Android phones out there that get the iPhone's battery life, and then there's also the iPhone itself. You people are also hurting innovation in other countries because when USB does become obsolete, Apple will still have to provide the adapter, until the EU gets around to overturning this nonsense.

Now for the really confounding part, this will be voted down, but I can't for the life of me figure out why... It just makes no logical sense!:confused:

wovel
Oct 4, 2011, 08:31 PM

Why do you think they don't have to include the adapter? They are including it with the 4s. I am sure the law had some date where it became effective. Most laws don't go into effect when they are passed.

----------

I am sure that is true most places :). Since my house has the same number of kindles as iOS devices, we are split down the middle.

Rodimus Prime
Oct 4, 2011, 08:41 PM

it is typical Apple here. Apple is following the letter of the law but clearly they are saying FU to the spirit of the law.

The entire point was to reduce the need for adapters and for power plugs and wires like that to be shared. Apple is in clear violation of the spirit of the law.

theBB
Oct 4, 2011, 09:47 PM
The entire point was to reduce the need for adapters and for power plugs and wires like that to be shared. Apple is in clear violation of the spirit of the law.
Actually, it is more like Apple is in violation of your (mis)understanding of the spirit of the law. As explained before, the law was intended to reduce the need to buy a new charger with every new phone purchase. Simple passive adaptors fit the bill nicely.

Rodimus Prime
Oct 4, 2011, 10:05 PM
Actually, it is more like Apple is in violation of your (mis)understanding of the spirit of the law. As explained before, the law was intended to reduce the need to buy a new charger with every new phone purchase. Simple passive adaptors fit the bill nicely.

Tell me how is the passive adaptor going to work. That means if someone wants to borrow a charge from ANY other smart phone user they would require the abaptor. It also means they would need to have more junk around instead of sharing chargers between devices. I think of all my battery devices my iPod screws me up the most in terms of charing as I have to use a seperate cable for that one and have to remember to make sure it is plugged in.
Compare this to my other things (kindle, Atrix, hell even my blue tooth head set) all use micro USB and can share cables between them.

The spirit of the law was to have everything share a common charging cable with out having to use any type of adapter. Take a look at all the other smart phone manufactures and you notice something, they all are using MicroUSB. Hell they are using them on their dumb phones and you are seeing them on even devices that just need to be charged because it is a common point.

Apple is the only one going against that trend using there on 30 pin connector that is not a standard to anything but Apple. All the would need to do is put a micro USB port on the side and everything would be fine. It is not like they would have to replace the 30 pin and the USB could also do syncing and charging as well. Not like it would require anything extra as they already have the chips on the phone to handle it.

JAT
Oct 4, 2011, 11:17 PM
Luckily, one of us here at MacRumors has access to this new-fangled thing called "Search". I found it at google.com, ever heard of it?

http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-IPMA-syncABLE-Pro-Charge/dp/B004NEUI24/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e1

JAT
Oct 4, 2011, 11:34 PM
Compare this to my other things (kindle, Atrix, hell even my blue tooth head set) all use micro USB and can share cables between them.

Lucky you. I have Apple 30-pin, micro USB, mini USB, Sansa 30-pin, and a Nokia with the old stick/pin power connector. That's just phones and mp3 players.

This topic never mattered to me. I make sure I have the appropriate USB adapter wires, then I can charge either via computer or a USB wall wart. Even in my car I have a device with standard USB connection so any of them can be charged.

****, forgot my mp3 recorder. That's another proprietary connector, 15-pin or something.

Rodimus Prime
Oct 5, 2011, 12:00 AM
Lucky you. I have Apple 30-pin, micro USB, mini USB, Sansa 30-pin, and a Nokia with the old stick/pin power connector. That's just phones and mp3 players.

This topic never mattered to me. I make sure I have the appropriate USB adapter wires, then I can charge either via computer or a USB wall wart. Even in my car I have a device with standard USB connection so any of them can be charged.

****, forgot my mp3 recorder. That's another proprietary connector, 15-pin or something.

reduce it to thinks made in the past 2-3 years and you will see it drop. Older stuff has the proparty crap but since all those companies came together in 2009 it been pretty much MicroUSB everything. Well everyone but for Apple who signed on and then more or less wanted it to be greatly weaken.

It almost seemed Feel good at first and then when Apple saw it was really going to happen almost completely backed out of it.

pdemazieres
Oct 5, 2011, 01:13 AM
[QUOTE=DESNOS;13470500]I really don't understand why so many europeans bend over and take anything the EU dishes at them. What happens when USB becomes obsolete? Ever given that some thought? Well, anyone who hasn't been asleep for the last decade will tell you that bureaucrats take years to overturn anything, if they ever.

It adds cost to every product sold now, that is largely unnecessary. Really, do we need to have a charger everywhere we go? I personally have never had this problem, but maybe I'm special? If the phone dies quickly, the solution isn't to mandate chargers everywhere, it's to buy a phone that doesn't have terrible battery life. It really is that simple. Vote with your money, not with your mouth. If your HTC Thunderbolt dies in 4 hours, well then guess what, there are many other Android phones out there that get the iPhone's battery life, and then there's also the iPhone itself. You people are also hurting innovation in other countries because when USB does become obsolete, Apple will still have to provide the adapter, until the EU gets around to overturning this nonsense.

Now for the really confounding part, this will be voted down, but I can't for the life of me figure out why... It just makes no logical sense!:confused:[

=====================================================
well personally i have a drawer full of different chargers related to different mobile phone i have been using since years an years. I think this law from EU to have a Common charger or a common charging interface for all mobile phone is a very good thing for every body and for the environment. On top of that it should reduce the cost of buying a mobile phone as charger will soon be an option to buy]

ArcaneDevice
Oct 5, 2011, 02:18 AM
I really don't understand why so many europeans bend over and take anything the EU dishes at them. What happens when USB becomes obsolete? Ever given that some thought?

How long has USB been around?

How many times have Apple changed the dock connector specs since it was introduced?

Since micro-usb was introduced Apple have switched from Firewire to USB, changed voltage specs on dock connectors and changed dock port shapes. There's more chance Apple will leave older dock specs in the dust and force everyone to upgrade to ThunderDockWire or some such than a standard which almost every consumer electronics company in the world is already using becoming obsolete.

I don't understand why users bend over and take whatever Apple dishes at them. Especially when it usually means you have to spend money to get legacy products that work perfectly well to be compatible. :rolleyes:

As for forgetting the adapter, what if you forget your dock cable? Same thing. Spurious argument.

goMac
Oct 5, 2011, 02:45 AM
I really don't understand why so many europeans bend over and take anything the EU dishes at them. What happens when USB becomes obsolete? Ever given that some thought?

Because it's for mini usb charging cables that plug into a power socket in the wall.

USB becoming obsolete doesn't have a thing to do with it carrying power from a wall socket.

DW58
Oct 5, 2011, 02:54 AM
Suck it Europe

Now there's a well thought out and informed response (not) :rolleyes:

Jodles
Oct 5, 2011, 03:30 AM
I really don't understand why so many europeans bend over and take anything the EU dishes at them. What happens when USB becomes obsolete? Ever given that some thought? Well, anyone who hasn't been asleep for the last decade will tell you that bureaucrats take years to overturn anything, if they ever.

As some people have said, it makes environmental sense in the long run. Regarding why "... europeans bend over and take anything the EU dishes at them", well, I'm from one of the few countries in Europe not part of EU, but nevertheless, it's called democracy :p. If we're not happy with what they're doing we elect other people (it's a direct election every 5 years). If we refuse to take anything the EU dish at us, then we're undermining the idea of democracy and kind of descend into anarchy (it's not meant that extreme,, but I couldn't find better words...)..

NightFox
Oct 5, 2011, 03:58 AM
I really don't understand why so many europeans bend over and take anything the EU dishes at them. What happens when USB becomes obsolete?

But by definition, USB won't be obsolete if it's still being used as the primary phone charging connection throughout the EU. Even if USB becomes obsolete as a data/device connector, that doesn't mean it can't continue to serve as a power connector; for that purpose it's just really a particular shape of plug/socket with the electrical connections in a particular place, same as any other charger out there. Until we see inductive charging become mainstream, what other type of physical power connection could possibly make that obsolete?

And as others have already said, this legislation wasn't ever about making life easier for mobile phone owners, it was about reducing the amount of electrical waste (i.e. redundant chargers) being disposed of and the associated environmental issues.

aziatiklover
Oct 5, 2011, 04:00 AM
Man this is awesome I wish they would sell it in the US.

weckart
Oct 5, 2011, 04:30 AM
I really don't understand why so many europeans bend over and take anything the EU dishes at them.

Earth to DESNOS, we are the EU. We elect our overlords. Just like you elect your HoR and bend over and take whatever it dishes at you.

Man this is awesome I wish they would sell it in the US.Monoprice et al will probably bring out one at a better price than $10.

Aldonin
Oct 5, 2011, 04:55 AM
I just got back from the caribbean, missed yesterday's announcements.

So far I find this adaptor the best new thing!

And yes, it works with A5 too! Siri compliant as well! :)

DW58
Oct 5, 2011, 05:05 AM
If it's possible to sync via this mini-USB adaptor, then why'n the heck does Apple have to use the large/awkward connector for iDevices in the first place - it would be so much easier to have just a mini-USB port on iDevices.

I think this connector is a must-have - I already have a USB charging socket in my car, and use a USB-to-micro-USB retractable cable for my GPS and to charge SWMBO's HTC phone, so this would mean one less cable to carry. It would also make connecting my iPhone to the car's audio system much easier as the proprietary iPhone cable is too short.

Well done Apple.

SeaFox
Oct 5, 2011, 05:12 AM
"Introduction of the universal charger will make life much simpler for EU consumers," said Dennis Abbott, a European Commission spokesperson. "When you discover you've left your charger at home or work, you will be able to use someone else's, knowing it will fit your phone. How cool is that?"
Yup, because no iPhone user will ever leave their charger adapter at home. :rolleyes:

E.Lizardo
Oct 5, 2011, 07:14 AM

The horror!Having to use the cord that came FREE with the phone!
It's an idiotic nanny state law.None of the government's business what the damn plug on your phone looks like.
Sheesh!

iCantwait
Oct 5, 2011, 07:15 AM
This is how communism in the 21st century begins

NightFox
Oct 5, 2011, 07:36 AM
This is how communism in the 21st century begins

Ah yes, "The People's Charger"

GWIM2
Oct 5, 2011, 09:23 AM
Micro USB = great idea.

There are piles and piles and boxes of adapters all over Europe which can now go in the bin.

Got a phone?, left home without a charger? got more than one house? want a charger in the car? need to charge your phone just once while you are in the office?

The micro USB is the common communications interface as well as the charger, everyone uses it, more and more equipment can be charged by it, expect even the mighty APPLE to end up using the micro USB as a charge / comms interface sometime as the US gets dragged into it - don't think it won't happen.

Cod3rror
Oct 5, 2011, 09:28 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Why is that microUSB port upside down!?

The narrow part should be on top.

JAT
Oct 5, 2011, 09:49 AM
reduce it to thinks made in the past 2-3 years and you will see it drop. Older stuff has the proparty crap but since all those companies came together in 2009 it been pretty much MicroUSB everything. Well everyone but for Apple who signed on and then more or less wanted it to be greatly weaken.

It almost seemed Feel good at first and then when Apple saw it was really going to happen almost completely backed out of it.
All these things were new since 2009. The Nokia phone I mentioned actually has a micro USB connection, but NOT for charging. WTF?!

Just saying, your mantra is that Apple is evil. But, they are far from the sole company not using standards you prefer.

Also, I'm certainly not going to junk functioning devices just for a connector.

Rodimus Prime
Oct 5, 2011, 09:36 PM
All these things were new since 2009. The Nokia phone I mentioned actually has a micro USB connection, but NOT for charging. WTF?!

Just saying, your mantra is that Apple is evil. But, they are far from the sole company not using standards you prefer.

Also, I'm certainly not going to junk functioning devices just for a connector.

Never said you should.
I am surprised by the nokia unless it was announced in the first 1/2ish of 2009. Most phones today but the iPhone have moved over to micro usb for charging and data.
I wish apple would follow suit. Last thing I like is getting more wires that can not be reused for multiple devices.
For me micro usb has been great. I keep 3. Car, computer and night stand. It works for everything and i cycle them for everything but the iPod.

It would of been nice if apple really followed the spirit of the standard instead of this wanna be way.

Le Big Mac
Oct 6, 2011, 11:31 AM
I think the environmentally friendly idea is to make phones, so that you do not have to buy a new wall charger or a car charger with every new phone. I don't think it was ever about making it easy to for you to charge your phone when you left your charger at home by mistake.

Right - the main goal was to avoid the wastestream from all the adapters that get junked when your phone is lost/antiquated/ditched. You can continue to use old adapters with new phones. After a few iterations you should have a cable everywhere that works for everything.

----------

While this is an elegant "solution" it sure would be nicer if Apple had just added a microUSB port next to the standard connector.

SeaFox
Oct 6, 2011, 05:37 PM
Right - the main goal was to avoid the wastestream from all the adapters that get junked when your phone is lost/antiquated/ditched.
Except whenever you get a phone you get a charger anyway. So you still end up with multiple cords. The charger should be something separate from the phone, so people can simply decline if they already have one at home. This also means energy/resources aren't wasted manufacturing unneeded chargers. That is how you do things in an environmentally friendly way.

Ivabign
Oct 6, 2011, 07:21 PM
Great, now make these things in Greece so the world economic explosion can be deferred!

Rodimus Prime
Oct 6, 2011, 09:52 PM
Except whenever you get a phone you get a charger anyway. So you still end up with multiple cords. The charger should be something separate from the phone, so people can simply decline if they already have one at home. This also means energy/resources aren't wasted manufacturing unneeded chargers. That is how you do things in an environmentally friendly way.

so you are given an extra charger that can be recycled and reused. Plus do not forget about your car charges or extra chargers people tend to buy (one for home, one for work ect)
They can be reused instead of all of them having to be tossed.

Also I believe the law gives the companies as a group some room to move so say USB becomes outdated they can all move to a new standard. Chances are USB 3.0 will replace usb 2.0.

It just the industry has to decide on a new standard.

I still want to see why people think it is a bad thing all the companies going to a single standard (well every one but Apple). It reduces the crap we have to throw away and allows use to reuse stuff.

SeaFox
Oct 6, 2011, 11:01 PM
so you are given an extra charger that can be recycled and reused. Plus do not forget about your car charges or extra chargers people tend to buy (one for home, one for work ect)
They can be reused instead of all of them having to be tossed.
If you mean actually recycling the components, that would be helpful, but now we're using energy to reclaim value from something that didn't need to be made to begin with.

My original idea of just making chargers and phone separate items would be better. Once the two are not counted together in the supply chain, we can do things like have smaller production runs of chargers to better meet consumer demand. Plus, the phone seller can tailor the accessory package to better meet the customer's needs. Every phone comes with an AC mains adapter now at least. If the customer had a choice of declining the charger as I proposed, they could just as easily be given a choice of an auto charger instead of a household AC charger if that's what they needed. Or a travel charger that's more compact than a regular AC charger and has collapsing blades on the plug.

NightFox
Oct 7, 2011, 02:28 AM

I can't remember the actual timescale, but that's what's ultimately happening under this EU move; the move to a common charger is just the first stage. In a few years time mobile phones sold in the EU won't come with chargers.

Rodimus Prime
Oct 7, 2011, 04:25 PM
If you mean actually recycling the components, that would be helpful, but now we're using energy to reclaim value from something that didn't need to be made to begin with.

My original idea of just making chargers and phone separate items would be better. Once the two are not counted together in the supply chain, we can do things like have smaller production runs of chargers to better meet consumer demand. Plus, the phone seller can tailor the accessory package to better meet the customer's needs. Every phone comes with an AC mains adapter now at least. If the customer had a choice of declining the charger as I proposed, they could just as easily be given a choice of an auto charger instead of a household AC charger if that's what they needed. Or a travel charger that's more compact than a regular AC charger and has collapsing blades on the plug.

I think you miss understood what I meant by recycled which is my fault. What I meant was it could and will be reused for the future produced. It is not thrown way to be trashed but instead used with the new device add this to things like car chargers do not need to be replaced.

Also the long term goal was to stop putting chargers with the phones is just a matter of time.

theluggage
Oct 8, 2011, 09:39 AM
I still want to see why people think it is a bad thing all the companies going to a single standard (well every one but Apple).

Its not a bad idea, but the slightly dumb part is that the industry was already converging on a similar idea: making everything charge via USB and building power adapters with (full size) USB sockets. My Kindle, my HTC phone and my iDevices all came with power adapters equipped with full-size USB sockets. When I travel, I only have to take my iPad adapter and the appropriate leads. Most new-ish cars have USB sockets and, if not, you can get a cigar lighter-to-USB adapter.

Sure, you still have to carry multiple leads, but they're not as bulky or dolphin-unfriendly as wall-warts.

Pretty soon I'll have enough USB wall-warts to keep one wherever I need it (the Apple ones are the nicest) and it won't bother me if new gadgets come without adapters. Even without regulation I'd now see not charging via USB as a potential deal-breaker when gadget shopping. The EU should have standardised the sockets on the chargers, not the sockets on the mobile devices. What happens if manufacturers want to look at inductive charging or MagSafe-like solutions?

NightFox
Oct 8, 2011, 09:55 AM
Its not a bad idea, but the slightly dumb part is that the industry was already converging on a similar idea: making everything charge via USB and building power adapters with (full size) USB sockets. My Kindle, my HTC phone and my iDevices all came with power adapters equipped with full-size USB sockets. When I travel, I only have to take my iPad adapter and the appropriate leads. Most new-ish cars have USB sockets and, if not, you can get a cigar lighter-to-USB adapter.

Sure, you still have to carry multiple leads, but they're not as bulky or dolphin-unfriendly as wall-warts.

Pretty soon I'll have enough USB wall-warts to keep one wherever I need it (the Apple ones are the nicest) and it won't bother me if new gadgets come without adapters. Even without regulation I'd now see not charging via USB as a potential deal-breaker when gadget shopping. The EU should have standardised the sockets on the chargers, not the sockets on the mobile devices. What happens if manufacturers want to look at inductive charging or MagSafe-like solutions?

The irony is that the original EU draft specified that you could either offer a charger with a fixed cable terminating in a micro-USB socket on the device or an adapter (as Apple are now offering) OR a charger with a removable cable (that could terminate in a bespoke plug) as long as the cable connected to the charger via a standard USB... in other words exactly what Apple were already offering and what you describe above.

I stopped following the progress of this, so I'm not sure how the second option disappeared and we got left with just the first one - both would have served the same purpose but the second option seemed easier to implement based on how common it already was in the real world.

Rodimus Prime
Oct 8, 2011, 10:08 AM

Reason that regulation came in place was more of a request from the same group. It made them all go that way.

Also it does not effect them wanting to go with inductive charging. It just means 2 ways of charging it. Go look at Blackberry. They could be charged by USB port or by the contact chargers. Contact chargers went in a nice little stand.
The irony is that the original EU draft specified that you could either offer a charger with a fixed cable terminating in a micro-USB socket on the device or an adapter (as Apple are now offering) OR a charger with a removable cable (that could terminate in a bespoke plug) as long as the cable connected to the charger via a standard USB... in other words exactly what Apple were already offering and what you describe above.

I stopped following the progress of this, so I'm not sure how the second option disappeared and we got left with just the first one - both would have served the same purpose but the second option seemed easier to implement based on how common it already was in the real world.

I want to say it was Apple's doing that had it be weakened up. The orginal law would of required a Micro USB point on the phone. The wall socket part was not on there. Most went with the wall wart thing because well they only need to put on cable in the box.

logandzwon
Oct 9, 2011, 11:20 AM
This is retarded. His logic is retarded. If you forget to charge your phone, then forget to bring the charger, but you remember this extra piece you have absolutely no other use for, then you can borrow the cable from someone else whom is better prepared then you, but does not have any Apple iOS device, to charge your phone.

I wish they would just update the 30pin to make able to take either cable. Maybe integrate a usb next the 30pin?

henchman
Oct 9, 2011, 11:58 AM
Great idea.
And yes, Apple should have moved to micro-usb a long time ago.

OllyW
Oct 9, 2011, 12:04 PM
I want to say it was Apple's doing that had it be weakened up. The orginal law would of required a Micro USB point on the phone. The wall socket part was not on there. Most went with the wall wart thing because well they only need to put on cable in the box.

Can you please provide some evidence to support this?

I don't remember seeing any of the draft regulations requiring a Micro USB port in the phone.

whooleytoo
Oct 9, 2011, 12:25 PM
A step in the right direction, but still a bit pointless (as others have said). What are the odds you'd forget your iPhone cable/charger, but remember this adaptor? A micro-USB port on the iPhone is the only solution which really adds any convenience.

Rodimus Prime
Oct 9, 2011, 02:33 PM
Can you please provide some evidence to support this?

I don't remember seeing any of the draft regulations requiring a Micro USB port in the phone.

It never was drafted. It was more the agreement between the manufactures signed up to agree to use MicroUSB.

Apple made damn sure that it was really weakened to prevent that little requirement from being on there.

If you noticed only one manufacture of smart phones does not use the MicroUSB standard *cough* APPLE *cough* The others all agreed to it and tried to make it law. Apple made sure that they would not be required to change anything. Instead Apple increases E waste with the adaptor crap that lets face it never really going to be used.

http://www.gizmag.com/standard-micro-usb-charger-europe/12108/

weckart
Oct 9, 2011, 04:41 PM
. Instead Apple increases E waste with the adaptor crap that lets face it never really going to be used.

Apple isn't even the biggest sinner in this regard as the changing adaptors on my SonyEricsson and Samsung phones prior to the adoption of micro usb would suggest. Even now, look at the various adapters for tablets and e-readers. No standardisation there, either. At least Apple has settled on one proprietary adapter for all of its toys, save the too small Shuffle.

Daveoc64
Oct 9, 2011, 04:52 PM
I'm looking to pick up one of these if you can get them from places other than Apple.com (overpriced and terrible shipping).

I carry a dock connector to USB cable as well as a Micro USB cable with a Mini USB adaptor in my bag with me.

If I got this, I'd be able to get rid of the Dock Connector cable and just carry the additional adapter.

Doesn't sound like a lot, but it would save me a bit of cable tangle!

Rodimus Prime
Oct 9, 2011, 04:59 PM
Apple isn't even the biggest sinner in this regard as the changing adaptors on my SonyEricsson and Samsung phones prior to the adoption of micro usb would suggest. Even now, look at the various adapters for tablets and e-readers. No standardisation there, either. At least Apple has settled on one proprietary adapter for all of its toys, save the too small Shuffle.

Oh believe me I hated how phones changed all the time before the standard but that is pre standard. Now look at it they still will use micro usb for charging and data. The other connection for tablets generally allow for more power than USB can provide. Something Apple's connector can not do.

Your excuse to give apple a free pass is because others did it in the past? No matter how you cut it Apple solution increase ewaste not decrease it. What is a good reason for the not putting a micro usb port on the side?

theluggage
Oct 10, 2011, 03:31 PM
Your excuse to give apple a free pass is because others did it in the past?

Did what in the past? The problem was power supplies with captive cables ending in proprietary connectors, that couldn't be used to charge any other device and which went to landfill when the device was replaced. Apple (and several other manufacturers) solved that by using a USB A socket on the iDevice charger, plus the USB-to-dock cable that you need anyway to sync your computer. Apples iDevice chargers make very nice Universal chargers for anything that can charge from a USB port.

No matter how you cut it Apple solution increase ewaste not decrease it.

Only because the EU rejected the sensible solution (USB A on the charger + the x-to-USB-A cable everybody includes anyway) in favor of the silly solution (trying to interfere in the design of the devices themselves).

What is a good reason for the not putting a micro usb port on the side?

Another hole in the case, another component on the circuit board, occupying space in an ultra-compact device where every cubic millimetre and every gramme counts? When you can solve the problem by putting the extra hardware in the charger, which is less space/weight sensitive.

theluggage
Oct 10, 2011, 03:42 PM
Also it does not effect them wanting to go with inductive charging. It just means 2 ways of charging it.

Except that's wasteful on a device like a phone where every little bit of of space and weight counts. Also, one advantage of inductive is that you could make a completely sealed unit (if you use wireless sync, wireless headsets).

Rodimus Prime
Oct 10, 2011, 06:17 PM
Only because the EU rejected the sensible solution (USB A on the charger + the x-to-USB-A cable everybody includes anyway) in favor of the silly solution (trying to interfere in the design of the devices themselves).

So we would all need a tons of different wires and then have to find the needed one to connect to our phones instead of using a simple wire that works with everything?

Apple was the one which did not go along with the simple solution.

Another hole in the case, another component on the circuit board, occupying space in an ultra-compact device where every cubic millimetre and every gramme counts? When you can solve the problem by putting the extra hardware in the charger, which is less space/weight sensitive.

Umm just going to point out that they already have all the components required on the circuit board. Remember the 30 pin connector has the USB wires in it. just tie back into those. heck Apple could if they wanted to just put it right next to one of the other devices in the phone. There is enough room no problem.

Except that's wasteful on a device like a phone where every little bit of of space and weight counts. Also, one advantage of inductive is that you could make a completely sealed unit (if you use wireless sync, wireless headsets).

Do you have any idea on how inductive charging works? The wires need to connect from back to the battery is nothing. The coil is the biggest thing and generally that is built into something else. Go look at some of the touchstone modes people have done to android phones. You will see were they put those coils and understand that it does not add anything really extra to the phone.

henchman
Oct 11, 2011, 12:19 AM
I love how some people will keep trying to rationalize every ad decion Apple makes. As if they're never wrong.

I can't wait until Apple starts using mcro usb. So I only have to worry about having one kind of cbharger. Period.

theluggage
Oct 11, 2011, 01:25 PM
Umm just going to point out that they already have all the components required on the circuit board. Remember the 30 pin connector has the USB wires in it. just tie back into those.

Pretty sure you can't just wire two USB sockets in parallel like that - what happens if someone plugs devices into both ports?

You will see were they put those coils and understand that it does not add anything really extra to the phone.

Unless the whole point of inductive charging was (e.g.) to make a weatherproof phone with a sealed case... or if you came up with a phone equivalent of MagSafe, or some other clever way of avoiding the mechanical weaknesses associated with miniature plugs and sockets, or a phone so thin that even micro USB leaves an unsightly bump. What if some whizzy new universal interface emerges? This is an EU rule we're talking about - notoriously difficult to change once established. If Apple hadn't set the precedent that an adaptor is OK, manufacturers would have been stuck with micro USB for the next decade.

So I only have to worry about having one kind of cbharger. Period.

I already only have to worry about having one kind of charger - the kind with a USB-A socket on the front that happily charges my iPad and iPod, my HTC phone (mini USB) and my Kindle (micro USB). Yes, I need the right cable, but they are the same whatever-to-USB-A cables I carry around to plug those devices into computers, my car and the various USB-A power supplies around my house and office (and which are widely available).

Plus, because Apple has gone for the adapter route, if you do have a micro-USB charger you get to use it with all your old iDevices, not just brand new ones.

I just hope that manufacturers keep making chargers with USB-A sockets - if the charger for my next gizmo comes with a captive micro-USB lead then its goin' in the landfill.

NB: People seem to be forgetting that the 30-pin connector isn't just a gratuitously non-standard USB port, it carries audio in/out and composite/S/component video signals, it used to carry Firewire, and may end up carrying DisplayPort or Thunderbolt in the future (http://techcrunch.com/2011/04/05/future-apple-30-pin-connectors-to-support-thunderbolt/) on a single connector. Less sockets, less holes in the case make for a thinner and lighter device.

a5hl3y2k6
Oct 12, 2011, 02:17 AM
i dont see a problem with this adapter, i would prefer to use one of these instead of apple placing an ugly hole on the side or bottom of my phone like those other plastic junk mobile phones, the 30-Pin is probably the most unintrusive connector on a mobile device, unless you would prefer a big wobbley usb connector that disconnects itself from the PCB and a ugly rubber bung that falls off. - apple do these things for a reason :)

Mess
Oct 12, 2011, 05:07 AM
I wonder if I could create a little shop for these things online. I dont mind going into an apple store and buying 50 or so of these and shipping them over to people if there was enough demand.

8 for the adapter and 3 postage to the USA should cover it. So thats around $19... :cool:

adder7712
Oct 12, 2011, 08:11 AM
Apple should have switched to micro-USB a long time ago.

Even my brother's Sony Ericsson feature phone has a micro-USB port. And I remember reading somewhere that Apple had already rectified the mandate but did not implement micro-USB into any of their products. Probably to facilitate the plethora of accessories that still use the 30-pin dock connector.

I guess one day, phone manufacturers will stop supplying an AC adaptor and will only bundle a USB to micro-USB cable for charging and syncing. There are loads of USB power adaptors out there, heck you can also use the Apple USB AC adaptor, that's how I charge my camera. :p

henchman
Oct 12, 2011, 10:00 AM
i dont see a problem with this adapter, i would prefer to use one of these instead of apple placing an ugly hole on the side or bottom of my phone like those other plastic junk mobile phones, the 30-Pin is probably the most unintrusive connector on a mobile device, unless you would prefer a big wobbley usb connector that disconnects itself from the PCB and a ugly rubber bung that falls off. - apple do these things for a reason :)

Hahahahahahaha.
That's gt to be the funniest justification I've ever read.
Pretending a micro-usb connector is less obtrusive than a mcro USB connector.

Hahahahahhhahah.

Cole Slaw
Oct 12, 2011, 10:23 AM

Suck it Europe
Haha, that's the kind of shrewd, insightful commentary that keeps me coming back to this site.

myskepticsight
Oct 14, 2011, 03:41 PM
Did this get bundled with any of the 4Ss in the UK? Or is it just to buy separately if needed?

transmaster
Oct 14, 2011, 05:25 PM
Amazon has two iPod/Iphone/iPad adapters for the Mini USB.

http://www.amazon.com/SendStation-PDLO-MiU5-PocketDock-Adapter-iPhone/dp/B002ACNZFI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1318630832&sr=8-3 :D

and this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Neewer-USB-Female-Connector-Adapter/dp/B0051DAML8/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1318631223&sr=1-6

Blorzoga
Oct 14, 2011, 06:27 PM
Me too! ;)

Wow, you guys are on the cutting edge of investigative reporting

Kebabselector
Oct 14, 2011, 06:31 PM
Did this get bundled with any of the 4Ss in the UK? Or is it just to buy separately if needed?

Looks to be a separate purchase as I didn't get one with my 4S. Was hoping to get one as I could do with a microUSB for my Apple TV.