Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

4x4monster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2011
I have a 2005 PowerBook G4 15" 1.67GHz 1GB currently running Tiger 10.4.11

Im trying to upgrade to Leapord 10.5 from an Image file.

I have looked at loads of guides online, but im struggling to get it to reconize my external HDD as a boot device.

I have made a backup of the image file on my external HDD and when i restart holding option button, it only finds the mac HDD.

Any one know what im doing wrong or know of any guides that I can follow?

Am I better trying to boot form a USB stik or burning a Dual Layer DVD?
Or should my external HDD work ok?

Nov 28, 2010
located
PPC Macs will not boot from external USB devices (HDD or thumb drive), except when you clone an OS to it prior.
You are best of to burn the image to a DL-DVD via Burn.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
PPC Macs will not boot from external USB devices (HDD or thumb drive), except when you clone an OS to it prior.
You are best of to burn the image to a DL-DVD via Burn.

PPC Macs can boot from an reinstallation/retail DVD that was imaged onto properly formatted USB drive.

Powerbook can't read DL-DVD I tried it before

If the OP's Powerbook is the last model Powerbook to be made, the PowerBook5,8, then it can burn dual layer DVD's. But, any Powerbook G4 capable of reading DVD's can read a dual layer DVD.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
PPC Macs can boot from an reinstallation/retail DVD that was imaged onto properly formatted USB drive.

If the OP's Powerbook is the last model Powerbook to be made, the PowerBook5,8, then it can burn dual layer DVD's. But, any Powerbook G4 capable of reading DVD's can read a dual layer DVD.

my previous PowerBook G4 with 1.5Ghz could not read DL-DVD disc that has been burned with Leopard image...It just spit it out right after I insert it.

----------

Video DVDs are often on DL-DVDs and even my iBook could read them.

----------

Do you mean GUID or APM?

I can watch movies with my previous PowerBook G4 1.5Ghz just fine.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
My previous PowerBook G4 with 1.5Ghz could not read DL-DVD disc that has been burned with Leopard image...It just spit it out right after I insert it. I can watch movies with my previous PowerBook G4 1.5Ghz just fine.

Sometimes in order to read a burned DL disc, the drive must be a DL burner. That or the disc was improperly burned or burned with an error.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.