PDA

View Full Version : The Sushi Photo Was Taken with an iPhone 4S

MacRumors
Oct 4, 2011, 09:08 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/04/the-sushi-photo-was-taken-with-an-iphone-4s/)

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/09/iphone_5_test_photo.jpg

In early September, we saw a photo of sushi (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/07/potential-first-released-photo-taken-by-an-iphone-5/) that was believed to have been taken with a next-generation iPhone. The photo appeared in the Flickr stream of a known Apple employee and was found to have some unusual characteristics:This (very attractive) photo claims to have been taken by an iPhone 4, but the rest of its EXIF data tells a different story: although the image has been cropped to 2235x2291 (5.12 megapixels), the original picture was a much larger 3264x2448 -- or just shy of eight megapixels. What's more, the lens was recorded as a 4.3mm f/2.4, which is closer to that of a point-and-shoot than the iPhone 4's actual 3.85mm f/2.8.With the announcement of the iPhone 4S and release of full resolution photos (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/04/full-resolution-photos-from-the-new-iphone-4s-camera/) from the device, we see that the specifications line up nicely:

- Image size : 3264 x 2448
- Aperture : F2.4
- Focal length : 4.3 mm (35 mm equivalent: 35.0 mm)

So, it seems that this was an early iPhone 4S shot from back in July.

Article Link: The Sushi Photo Was Taken with an iPhone 4S (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/04/the-sushi-photo-was-taken-with-an-iphone-4s/)

appleguy123
Oct 4, 2011, 09:10 PM
Did he get fired?
Probably forgot that he even had a 4S in his hands.

adztaylor
Oct 4, 2011, 09:11 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Well that clears up that little mystery.

haruhiko
Oct 4, 2011, 09:12 PM
That's why there were no leaks of the new iPhone for such a long time. It's just the same.:(

r.j.s
Oct 4, 2011, 09:12 PM
Did he get fired?
Probably forgot that he even had a 4S in his hands.

I don't see why he would get fired ... it's not like he let the phone at the sushi restaurant.

.Andy
Oct 4, 2011, 09:16 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thank goodness this finally puts the contentious sushi question to rest.

Mr. Retrofire
Oct 4, 2011, 09:45 PM
This photo, like the other 4S photos has a very limited set of colors (you can see it on calibrated high quality displays). This is not necessary, because the JPEG algorithm works well will color rich areas. So, if it is not JPEG, it is very likely the result of some postprocessing stage within the iPhone. Some < 400 US$ Canon cams have the same problems. It should be possible for Apple to disable the postprocessing within the iPhone 4S. Or some third party app does it in the future.

nagromme
Oct 4, 2011, 09:49 PM
That's why there were no leaks of the new iPhone for such a long time. It's just the same.:(

There were all kinds of leaks—even component photos—pointing to the 4S we got, which is huge upgrade over the iPhone 4 :)

All of which has little to do with the business at hand: sushi rumors!

Irishman
Oct 4, 2011, 09:54 PM

How is it just the same?

Michaelgtrusa
Oct 4, 2011, 10:03 PM
Looks goo to me

winston1236
Oct 4, 2011, 10:29 PM
8mp is not impressive by todays standards

zipster
Oct 4, 2011, 10:31 PM

In a tiny mobile phone, it absolutely is.

rsbagga
Oct 4, 2011, 10:35 PM
Re: earlier comment - megapixels are not the important number here - the aperture is the important number in a small camera like this. Optics and a wide aperture (which will let in a ton of light) will beat megapixels every time, especially with a small camera/sensor situation here. Megapixels are basically the digital camera industry's way to make an objective, easy to understand number by which to compare cameras. But compare a good 4 megapixel camera with a crappy 12 megapixel camera. The optics will matter more every time.

foodog
Oct 4, 2011, 10:39 PM

MP doesn't mean a thing... its a number. The sensor is what is important in any camera. crappy sensor and low pixel count is a better photo than a high pixel count and crappy sensor.

FoxHoundADAM
Oct 4, 2011, 10:54 PM
Edit: Never mind.

Azathoth
Oct 5, 2011, 03:05 AM
Re: earlier comment - megapixels are not the important number here - the aperture is the important number in a small camera like this. Optics and a wide aperture (which will let in a ton of light) will beat megapixels every time, especially with a small camera/sensor situation here. Megapixels are basically the digital camera industry's way to make an objective, easy to understand number by which to compare cameras. But compare a good 4 megapixel camera with a crappy 12 megapixel camera. The optics will matter more every time.

I agree - with such small sensors the lens is everything. Diffraction limits hit *early* compared to 35mm stuff. I'm sure that the iPhone 4S is diffraction limited at f/2.4 already.

*But* wider apertures have increased aberrations. f/2.4-2.8 is a sweet spot for simple high-performance lens design.

Negritude
Oct 5, 2011, 03:47 AM
I'd have been more impressed by a photo of some marinated lime shrimp ceviche...

SeaFox
Oct 5, 2011, 05:08 AM
I find this sudden change in topic mighty fishy. :cool:

belltree
Oct 5, 2011, 06:08 AM
Wow! You can almost see the Fukushima radiation being emitted from the seaweed. That is one impressive camera.

devilstrider
Oct 5, 2011, 06:33 AM
There were all kinds of leaks—even component photos—pointing to the 4S we got, which is huge upgrade over the iPhone 4 :)

Not as huge a upgrade as you make it sound like.

wisty
Oct 5, 2011, 07:24 AM
The big deal about it being 8MP is that it's likely to have Samsung's new backside illumination, which is is said (by Samsung) to be much better in low light conditions. The sensor does matter a lot, just not the number of megapixels.

deellow
Oct 5, 2011, 12:43 PM

This. I hate people citing megapixels as the only spec that matters. Megapixels mean nothing about image quality in my book.

iPegboy
Oct 5, 2011, 12:53 PM
I think Cook missed an opportunity for a good laugh. When he was showing gorgeous pictures the 4Gs could take, he should have flashed this photo as well. The crowd would have loved it.

Gasu E.
Oct 5, 2011, 12:59 PM
Wow! You can almost see the Fukushima radiation being emitted from the seaweed. That is one impressive camera.

I was very disappointed that the iPhone 4S did not include a Geiger counter. Major Fail, Apple.

/satire

BC2009
Oct 5, 2011, 03:52 PM
I don't see why he would get fired ... it's not like he let the phone at the sushi restaurant.

He was not even at a restaurant, but eating lunch at the cafeteria on the Apple campus. I'm sure he was not fired.

ryansimmons323
Oct 5, 2011, 04:45 PM
I guess they didn't have a hard time disguising it in the 'field'...

MacSince1990
Oct 5, 2011, 04:52 PM

This is *SO* true. I'd take a good 5 MP camera over a ****** 14MP camera any day.

Honestly at this point, we have more than enough pixels. Our pictures are large enough. Imo, 8 MP is probably the sweet spot for the average (or even above average) picture-taker, and that's with a normal camera... 8 MP is, in my opinion at least, overkill for a phone. Granted, everyone cares about numbers so Apple's pretty much forced to keep up.

But what's important with their new camera is the improvements they've made to lighting and optics, not the pixel count increase.

I think if you genuinely need 8 Megapixels (and who besides actual photographers can genuinely claim that they often do?), you need a *REAL* camera with an adjustable lens. I sort of can't imagine many practical needs above 15-20 MPs...

JoshJosh117
Oct 5, 2011, 05:18 PM
I think Cook missed an opportunity for a good laugh. When he was showing gorgeous pictures the 4Gs could take, he should have flashed this photo as well. The crowd would have loved it.

lol but this photo is actually quite dull

jclardy
Oct 6, 2011, 08:36 AM
This is *SO* true. I'd take a good 5 MP camera over a ****** 14MP camera any day.

Honestly at this point, we have more than enough pixels. Our pictures are large enough. Imo, 8 MP is probably the sweet spot for the average (or even above average) picture-taker, and that's with a normal camera... 8 MP is, in my opinion at least, overkill for a phone. Granted, everyone cares about numbers so Apple's pretty much forced to keep up.

But what's important with their new camera is the improvements they've made to lighting and optics, not the pixel count increase.

I think if you genuinely need 8 Megapixels (and who besides actual photographers can genuinely claim that they often do?), you need a *REAL* camera with an adjustable lens. I sort of can't imagine many practical needs above 15-20 MPs...

Very true...an 8MP photo can be printed at 8x10" at 300ppi (Magazine print quality) and you won't see the pixels. Most people I know don't print 8x10 photos from their cell phone...

On a larger camera like a DSLR more MP are useful to a point as you have a much larger sensor, so you might as well get more detail.

What I am wondering though is about the image stabilization in the video mode...I am guessing that it is software based using the accelerometer and gyroscope as they don't mention sensor shift or lens shift stabilization for the photo camera...

diogenis
Oct 6, 2011, 09:55 AM
The camera in theory -at least- shows some great specs. Both the wider aperture at f/2.4 and the type of sensor used which is new technology and it means that all the wiring and amps are hidden behind the chip, thus leaving the whole surface of the sensor to capture light, which also leads to better light reception.
It should be better than the competition's and eventually very good for the average phtographer, and after all this is a camera you always carry with you. Add the HD video capabilities... it sounds real cool.

Tiggs
Oct 6, 2011, 10:52 AM
No surprises, really. WOnder if he is still at Apple.

MarkBMW
Oct 8, 2011, 08:05 PM
here are the real iPhone 4s 8 MP camera details:

20 percent better color accuracy
35 percent better low light sensitivity

1.4 x 1.4 micron pixel size (iPhone 4 has 1,75 x 1,75 micron pixels)

BUT, when it comes to overall pixel light sensitivity in normal daylight
it has 35 precent less performance.
but with the lager aperture lets in more light and an 45 precent improved full well capacity this "problem" is fully solved and at the end, it has about 13 precent real better light performance.
in low light conditions it still has the 35 percent better performance.

it is able to do 1080p video at 60fps (without image stabilization, with 30 fps)
but apple only give us 30 fps with it.

720p with stabilization at 60 fps but apple will give us only 30 fps here too.

full 8mp 4k video at 24fps... but apple don't offer it to us
6mp video at 30 fps ... apple don't offer

same energy consumption as iPhone 4 camera (8 mp 4k video at about 340 mW)
a special shutdown mode with only 10 microwatt (iPhone 4 camera only offers a standby mode with 40 microwatt consumption)

next iPhone:

1.1 micron pixels
20 precent thinner
comparable image quality (little less)
less light sensitivity
only 4,7 mm high (6,5 mm is the iPhone 4 and 4s one)
8 MP, same video capabilities
80 mWatt less energy consumption at 8mp 24fps video.

salacious
Oct 10, 2011, 01:00 PM
these iphones better record at 25 fps!!!

bryanc87
Oct 11, 2011, 05:15 PM
In a tiny mobile phone, it absolutely is.

exactly, I seen 12MP attempts but the phone was just ridiculous, 8mp packaged with 4S is a nice compromise. it can do everything great, but not exactly tech beater on any level, just the way it should be.

If apple went all out all the time, they would eventually run out of things to iterate to, and maybe too expensive in this economy until tech parts becomes more well manufactured.

Evelynds
Oct 12, 2011, 12:21 AM
I want to buy iphone 4s,but I want to give me a big reason,its too expensiv.:D