Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
Hello-
I'm sure there are other threads on this, but the forum search doesn't seem to be working for me at the moment.
Anyways, I have a Mid 2010 2.4GHz i5 15" MacBook Pro, with the optional high res screen. After upgrading to Lion, I literally had it freeze on me every 2-5 minutes; it was completely unusable (As in completely freeze, caps lock light unresponsive); I had a 128GB Samsung Sandforce SSD, and I put in the stock 320GB HDD and reinstalled Lion to see if it would fix this issue... Long story short, it didn't.
Don't get me wrong, I like the features Lion has and wish that I could be one of the people happy with it, however for the time being Snow Leopard is much more reliable, at least for me.
Has anyone else had these issues, or should I call AppleCare and get my MacBook Pro looked at? My computer has already had a new logic board due to Nvidia GPU failure, but this was before Lion, so I don't know if this is the computer itself.
When Lion came out, I went over and upgraded my parents' computer, a stock 2.26GHz White MacBook. Apart from being on the slow side, which a RAM upgrade solved, their computer runs Lion better than mine ever did... It's how I expected mine to run. Both of these computers were basically a clean upgrade, with the factory image of Snow Leopard and iWork installed.
Does anyone have any suggestions, or the same experience so I know I'm not alone?
Thanks for the input.

the wraith

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2002
Hatfield, UK
Lion freeze on Macbook Pro

This is a common problem on mid 2010 MacBook Pros. Its a problem with the graphics chips switching causing the freeze esp on login. The fix or workaround (for the moment) is to switch off "automatic graphics switching" (AGS) in the energy saver pref pane, and enable auto login to bypass the login freeze. your machine will be much more stable after that, but battery life will suffer. Hope 10.7.2 fixes this.

see this thread...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3209415?start=0&tstart=0

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
This is a common problem on mid 2010 MacBook Pros. Its a problem with the graphics chips switching causing the freeze esp on login. The fix or workaround (for the moment) is to switch off "automatic graphics switching" (AGS) in the energy saver pref pane, and enable auto login to bypass the login freeze. your machine will be much more stable after that, but battery life will suffer. Hope 10.7.2 fixes this.

see this thread...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3209415?start=0&tstart=0

Thanks, I will try disabling the auto graphics switching...
However, I already have autologin enabled... freezing there is not the issue. My computer will freeze constantly when just using finder, safari, or at the desktop.

0r30

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2010
Texas
I had the same issues with my MacbookPro 13" 2010

I went back to Snow Leopard...

Terry M

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2011
Lion login hard freeze - spinning beach ball of death

This looks like the same problem a group of us are discussing on https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3209415?start=270&tstart=0
(see page 19 of the thread)

We are (currently) trying to pin down the cause of the problem to a specific hardware fault. I.e. we all seem to have this particular Revision ID of the NVIDIA GT 330M graphics board.

Here are the specs for my MBP6,2. Is this what is in your Mac?

NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
GPU
PCIe (Bus)
x16 (PCIe lane width)
512MB (VRAM)
0x0a29 (device ID)
0x00a2 (Revision ID)
3560 (ROM Revision)
1.9.21 (gMux Version)

Different AppleCare personnel do not yet seem to be on the same page re. this problem, it might help to quote the specifics of the NVIDIA GT 330M board and its Revision ID. (Applications > Utilities > System Profiler (in Snow Leopard) or System Information (in Lion) > Hardware > Graphics/Displays > and select NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M).

AaronS

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
hey all, i am having similar issues.. I bought the Lion app from the app store. Downloaded and initially after the install it went to the boot up screen and its seriously stayed there for 24 hours. I did a hard shut down/reboot and it went straight back to the boot up screen.. that was 4 hours ago.. am i experiencing "indexing" ? i have an early/spring 2011 mbp, radeon graphics, quad core i7.

Roy G Biv

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2010
I'm experiencing several freezes a day. It's pretty frustrating after being accustomed to a nearly flawlessly function machine for 18 months. It seems no better than 10.7.1 for me.

Late 2009 27" iMac
3.06 Core 2 duo
12GB ram
HD4670

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.