PDA

View Full Version : IOS5: Features missing on the current iPads

Deamos
Oct 5, 2011, 08:24 AM
I decided it would probably be a good idea to start posting features we are missing based on the Full IOS5 update. Feel free to post here on what you have discovered isn't supported for your hardware.

1st Gen iPad:
---------------------------------
-Not able to purchase ringtones from iTunes store
-No Location aware reminders
-Multitouch Gestures, Including some that were supported in IOS4
-No Siri

kissmo
Oct 5, 2011, 08:30 AM
1 - Locations not working in Reminders.
2 - Safari Reader missing
3 - SIRI (which I guess it is iPhone 4s only)

mtj111
Oct 5, 2011, 08:41 AM
Safari reader is working fine on my iPad 2...

kissmo
Oct 5, 2011, 09:59 AM
Safari reader is working fine on my iPad 2...

It's working also on mine now.
For some reason - trying to reset everything to make the Locations in Reminders I realized that reader pops up now,

Zimmy68
Oct 5, 2011, 10:00 AM
Safari Reader is working for me also.
Is there a way to change the reading page back to a regular page?

On the Mac, you just clicked off of it, I don't see that function here.

And will there be any speech to text functionality on the non 4S devices?

I understand they want Siri for that but basic dictation should work on other devices.

Keep the "best italian restaurant" jazz for the 4S, but let me dictate my text in my car.

twelve56
Oct 5, 2011, 11:11 AM
Reader is working for me also. Is morroring working for anyone, or have i missed something? ie isnt available yet?

Edit: im on iPad 2 ios 5 GM by the way.

dazcox5181
Oct 5, 2011, 11:19 AM
iPad 1 wifi here

No location reminders
No reader
No Siri (duh)
No gestures

Bluemeanie1976
Oct 5, 2011, 11:59 AM
Can the gestures be switched on in Xcode for the fat pad, or not?

dazcox5181
Oct 5, 2011, 12:45 PM
Can the gestures be switched on in Xcode for the fat pad, or not?

It appears not

al256
Oct 5, 2011, 01:02 PM
It appears not

So weird.

Those gestures started on the original iPad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a52zu-ocAd0

Fiddler70
Oct 5, 2011, 01:13 PM
Come on... that's crazy. I use them all the time. Make it a totally different experience. Anyone know if they are going to come back?

Virgo
Oct 5, 2011, 01:51 PM
Why would you buy a ringtone on an iPad?

iphone1105
Oct 5, 2011, 01:55 PM
iPad 1 wifi here

No location reminders
No reader
No Siri (duh)
No gestures

Maybe you need a 3G version for the GPS reminders???

dazcox5181
Oct 5, 2011, 02:38 PM

Suppose, but it was in an earlier beta, and at the end of the day i can usually get a pretty accurate location via wifi, thought it might suffice for this!

Bluemeanie1976
Oct 5, 2011, 02:52 PM
It appears not

That's ridiculous. It works fine on my iPad.

In fact, I'm pretty friggin unhappy about that. Anyone have an email address to write to that actually gets listened to?

In fact, part 2, it says nothing about multitouch being just ipad2 on the ios5 info pages on the apple website. It says "multitouch for iPad", so is it enabled for iPad1 or not?

hchung
Oct 5, 2011, 03:24 PM
That's ridiculous. It works fine on my iPad.

In fact, I'm pretty friggin unhappy about that. Anyone have an email address to write to that actually gets listened to?

In fact, part 2, it says nothing about multitouch being just ipad2 on the ios5 info pages on the apple website. It says "multitouch for iPad", so is it enabled for iPad1 or not?

Perhaps you meant "multitasking gestures?"

Bluemeanie1976
Oct 5, 2011, 04:50 PM
Perhaps you meant "multitasking gestures?"

Huh? I'm talking about the pinch to home screen, 4 finger swipe for multitasking bar, and all that jazz.

What are multitasking gestures then?

Risco
Oct 5, 2011, 04:58 PM
I have an iPhone 4 but there is no Safari Reader in the browser? Is there an option to enable it as should be the same for both iPad and iPhone.

bellaisa
Oct 5, 2011, 05:15 PM
installed ios5 on my iphone 4.

safari reader is missing
can't slide to reply/etc notifications on locked screen

melman101
Oct 5, 2011, 05:22 PM

I have an iPad 2 3G WiFi 64GB and I don't have the location reminders :-(.

Mel

Chundles
Oct 5, 2011, 05:25 PM
Safari Reader is not a default thing. The website needs to be recognised as an article for the Reader icon to appear.

You won't see it on this forum but if you head over to somewhere like dpreview and look at their camera reviews you will see the Reader icon appear in the address bar.

It's definitely there on both the iPhone and iPad, it's up to the website as to whether you see it or not on their site.

Deamos
Oct 5, 2011, 06:01 PM
Why would you buy a ringtone on an iPad?

They added the ability to change the default ringtones for mail, twitter, imessage, etc.

shandyman
Oct 5, 2011, 06:08 PM
Reader is working for me also. Is morroring working for anyone, or have i missed something? ie isnt available yet?

airplay mirroring? have you got an Apple TV 2? is it running the iOS 5 beta for Apple TV 2? if any of them are no, there's your answer....

dazcox5181
Oct 6, 2011, 12:19 AM
And now reader has started working on certain sites on my iPad 1... Strange

twelve56
Oct 6, 2011, 02:22 AM
airplay mirroring? have you got an Apple TV 2? is it running the iOS 5 beta for Apple TV 2? if any of them are no, there's your answer....

I realised this could be the answer a few hours after posting. I do have an apple tv2, but dont think theres an ios 5 GM for that? Guess il have to wait until next week to test it out.

hchung
Oct 6, 2011, 03:29 AM
Huh? I'm talking about the pinch to home screen, 4 finger swipe for multitasking bar, and all that jazz.

What are multitasking gestures then?

What you just listed are called "multitasking gestures."

While they are implemented using multitouch, not having those is not the same as not having multitouch.

HengenJL
Oct 6, 2011, 06:38 AM
I've noticed that the 2x playback for audiobooks and podcasts is missing iOS5, this really annoys me as that is how I primarily listen to certain podcasts...

shandyman
Oct 6, 2011, 06:42 AM
I realised this could be the answer a few hours after posting. I do have an apple tv2, but dont think theres an ios 5 GM for that? Guess il have to wait until next week to test it out.

Yea, No GM, just beta.

kissmo
Oct 6, 2011, 09:13 AM
How do you add the weather widget on notification center?
I have an ipad 2.

shandyman
Oct 6, 2011, 01:50 PM
How do you add the weather widget on notification center?
I have an ipad 2.

iphone only, it's part of the weather app, which the ipad does not have....

PBG4 Dude
Oct 6, 2011, 03:23 PM
I don't have reminders by location available on my iPad 2 3G GSM either. If iPad 1 loses multitasking gestures in iOS5 I'll just leave it at 4.3.5.

iphone1105
Oct 6, 2011, 03:43 PM
I have an iPad 2 3G WiFi 64GB and I don't have the location reminders :-(.

Mel

D'oh :(

bckane
Oct 9, 2011, 06:06 PM
And now reader has started working on certain sites on my iPad 1... Strange

Ive tried several website still no icon...........jot down a few websites for me
to see if mine works thanks

irDigital0l
Oct 9, 2011, 06:24 PM
So the only way to get multi gestures is to jb?

That kinda sucks...I thought Apple enabled multi gestures for the iPad 1 in like a developer beta...why take it away?

RossMc
Oct 9, 2011, 06:37 PM
Ive tried several website still no icon...........jot down a few websites for me
to see if mine works thanks

www.engadget.com

www.thisismynext.com

It should work on both of them once you click into an article.

jclardy
Oct 9, 2011, 07:48 PM

Your Apple TV software has to be updated, but they didn't release a GM for that. So you will have to wait till the 12th.