PDA

View Full Version : Apple Shutting Down Existing Siri App with iPhone 4S Launch

MacRumors
Oct 5, 2011, 09:23 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/05/apple-shutting-down-existing-siri-app-with-iphone-4s-launch/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/10/siri_shutdown.jpg

With Apple's Siri personal assistant being integrated into the forthcoming iPhone 4S, the company is moving to shut down the existing standalone Siri Assistant (http://appshopper.com/productivity/siri-assistant) application, with the app already having been removed from the App Store. Existing users of the app are also being greeted with a notice informing them that the service will be shut down as of October 15th, the day after the iPhone 4S launch.I've been replaced! The new Siri is even smarter and better-looking than me, and waiting for you on the iPhone 4S. I'll be leaving for home Oct 15th.

Until then... how can I help you?Siri Assistant launched in February 2010 when Siri was still an independent company. Apple acquired Siri (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/04/28/apple-purchases-iphone-personal-assistant-company-siri/) soon after, but has kept Siri Assistant on the App Store and functioning since that time.

Article Link: Apple Shutting Down Existing Siri App with iPhone 4S Launch (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/05/apple-shutting-down-existing-siri-app-with-iphone-4s-launch/)

coder12
Oct 5, 2011, 09:29 AM
I'm not sure why everyone is so down about the 4S. It really is amazing! Siri looks like it works incredibly well--even better than the app. I'm legitimately excited :)

Wyvernspirit
Oct 5, 2011, 09:31 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I like that Siri is finally moving on, but dislike them shutting down the original as I am not getting a 4s, at least for a while

Schtumple
Oct 5, 2011, 09:31 AM
Thank god Siri was a free application or I can imagine people would be pissed it shutting down Oct 15th...

bigcat318
Oct 5, 2011, 09:32 AM
I never had this app. Was it free? I'd be kinda mad if I had paid for an app that suddenly ceased to function.

EDIT: Answered above

rdlink
Oct 5, 2011, 09:38 AM
I'm a little bummed that they're shutting it down, because I, like others am not going to replace my 5 month old iPhone 4 right now. But truthfully, it's worked pretty spotty and buggy since Spring of 2010, and my suspicions as to why were confirmed yesterday: Apple has been developing it inside in preparation for this release, while letting the production app wither on the vine. Oh well. Maybe I'll sell my iPad and give myself a full-priced iPhone 4S for Christmas.

millertime021
Oct 5, 2011, 09:43 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

It makes sense that they would. Protect the biggest selling point of the 4S over the 4.
It's pretty lame, but does make sense.

nagromme
Oct 5, 2011, 09:44 AM
Apple maintains a number of apps; they could maintain this one too. But if they have to move on some time, at least this was free!

I would say a primary reason is likely that the app is just not as good as the current state of Siri: making it a really bad, misleading, but easy-to-try free demo! People who donít know better (and even tech bloggers who do) would try that app and use it to judge the 4S feature.

And users of the app would be disappointed when work goes into the built-in feature instead of the app anyway.

Mr. Chewbacca
Oct 5, 2011, 09:50 AM
:eek::D:eek: I was asking suri random questions and my gf said "suri, find me a prostitute"

it did! LOL... try it

Sure are a lot of hookers in Dallas

FreakinEurekan
Oct 5, 2011, 09:54 AM
Thank god Siri was a free application or I can imagine people would be pissed it shutting down Oct 15th...

You think being free will stop people from being pissed? You're underestimating the innate capacity for indignation from cheapskates ;)

Mr. Chewbacca
Oct 5, 2011, 09:58 AM
:eek::D:eek: I was asking suri random questions and my gf said "suri, find me a prostitute"

it did! LOL... try it

http:///Users/dave/Pictures/PhotoSync/iPhone 4/Camera Roll/IMG_1822.PNG

marksman
Oct 5, 2011, 09:59 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I can't wait until I tell my 4s "pwn android fans on macrumors" and it then proceeds to slice and dice

Snowy_River
Oct 5, 2011, 10:03 AM
I'm not sure why everyone is so down about the 4S. It really is amazing! Siri looks like it works incredibly well--even better than the app. I'm legitimately excited :)

What does being upset about the end of the Siri app have to do with being down on the new iPhone? I think that the new iPhone looks fantastic. I love the way that Siri has been implemented in the OS. I really want to have that Siri functionality on my iPad 2 (and why can't I, exactly?). But, failing that, why can't they leave me the old app functionality?

It makes sense that they would. Protect the biggest selling point of the 4S over the 4.

...I would say a primary reason is likely that the app is just not as good as the current state of Siri: making it a really bad, misleading, but easy-to-try free demo! People who donít know better (and even tech bloggers who do) would try that app and use it to judge the 4S feature.

And users of the app would be disappointed when work goes into the built-in feature instead of the app anyway.

Okay, so protect the feature of the iPhone and protect against the wrong impressions by the uninformed public by removing the app from the store, but why not leave the lower end functionality active for people who already have and use the old app? Really?

walnuts
Oct 5, 2011, 10:12 AM
Apple could argue (and it would be a weak, weasily argument for them) that the previous service/app uses a back end server to do the voice recognition work and they are no longer continuing that server/backend service in favor of devices that are fast enough to do the work real time on the device.

From that light I could see them asking themselves why they are maintaining infrastructure that competes with/undermines the major feature of their flagship product.

litlphoenix
Oct 5, 2011, 10:18 AM
I will not waste time complaining. I just want to know of an alternative to Siri since I still have over a year before AT&T will allow me to buy another iPhone. I know Google Search is similar but it lacks quite a bit of the good features. Any ideas on an alternative??? Thanx!

nws0291
Oct 5, 2011, 10:31 AM
I will not waste time complaining. I just want to know of an alternative to Siri since I still have over a year before AT&T will allow me to buy another iPhone. I know Google Search is similar but it lacks quite a bit of the good features. Any ideas on an alternative??? Thanx!

You can buy a new iPhone anytime you want...

litlphoenix
Oct 5, 2011, 10:36 AM

Only if I want to pay twice as much for the phone. I do not wish to do so for the Siri feature. It's good but not that good.

Saphire
Oct 5, 2011, 10:37 AM
I didn't know about that program it would have been ideal for me.

kironin
Oct 5, 2011, 10:40 AM
The Siri App replies "I didn't get that..." way too often to be useful. It was more for amusement than anything else. The integrated Siri will have to be a quantum leap better to actually get use.

slrandall
Oct 5, 2011, 10:42 AM

There isn't an alternative to Siri at the moment. There are voice commands, but Siri is tech you can have a conversation with. Both have dictation options, sure, but Siri is far more advanced than anything else out there.

And it'll probably stay that way for a long while. AI is a lot harder to copy than hardware. I doubt anything other than the iPhone will have such capabilities for at least a few years. But, like always, the Android camp will simply crap itself with spec-comparisons [not realizing that iPhone 4S + iOS 5 + A5 is a faster combination than anything else out there because of Apple's integrated optimization], and miss the bigger picture.

aliensporebomb
Oct 5, 2011, 10:49 AM
I kinda figured Siri's days were numbered as a free app on the existing hardware. I showed it to my boss yesterday on my iPhone4 and his eyes popped out and quickly downloaded it. Had I only known!

But, the idea of one of the Apple live demo guys doing "Get me a hooker" would have been hilarious, especially if one showed up onstage for afterwards.

minivini
Oct 5, 2011, 10:52 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I do think it's a shame that Apple has chosen to pull the app preventing existing users from accessing it. I understand that Apple sees the ideal implementation being only possible with the newest hardware, but anything that assists in using an iOS device by reducing distractions should be encouraged - not just for people who qualify for an upgrade and are able to go and purchase it. I'd glady pay for an app like the prior Siri version that works on some level. I think it's a gross underestimation that iOS users will (en masse) complain that it may not function as seamlessly as it may on an A5 equipped device. There are a vocal minority who complain about everything. They don't, however, represent most users. I'd like to try Siri. In fact, I am eligible to upgrade my 4. I may do so. I might even do it sooner if I had some experience with the most intriguing app the 4s offers. Alas, the app is no longer available for download and its current version will lose support in a week and a half. Not sure that's the best decision, but they forgot to ask me.

milo
Oct 5, 2011, 10:55 AM
I really want to have that Siri functionality on my iPad 2 (and why can't I, exactly?).

That's a big question - there seems to be no technical reason it wouldn't work on the iPad 2. If they cripple the feature to not work on that hardware, it's taking away a pretty nice selling point from the latest version of one of their biggest selling devices.

baryon
Oct 5, 2011, 10:58 AM
So the app that worked on all iPhones will now be replaced by a feature that only runs on the iPhone 4S? Isn't that a bit lame?

milo
Oct 5, 2011, 11:01 AM
So the app that worked on all iPhones will now be replaced by a feature that only runs on the iPhone 4S? Isn't that a bit lame?

The argument is that the new version is a big improvement over the previous one.

Hastings101
Oct 5, 2011, 11:03 AM

I can't wait until I tell my 4s "pwn android fans on macrumors" and it then proceeds to slice and dice

and then it will respond with "own land steroids fans on mac mummer" and you'll have to repeat yourself.

Snowy_River
Oct 5, 2011, 11:09 AM
The argument is that the new version is a big improvement over the previous one.

The improvements are purportedly in th AI. The speech recognition is still done on a remote server. But the AI handles the interpretation of the voice command locally, or so we've been led to believe...

and then it will respond with "own land steroids fans on mac mummer" and you'll have to repeat yourself.

Actually, even the old version of Siri gets "own android fans on mac rumors". It then looks for "mac" in my local area... I'd be curious to see how the new version interprets the command. But the speech recognition is, in my experience, exceptionally reliable.

Anonymous Freak
Oct 5, 2011, 11:25 AM
I had forgotten that I had downloaded Siri when it first came out (I have an iPhone that it won't run on, but downloaded it just to see if I could get it to work anyway.) Well, I have an iPad now, and it should run on the iPad, right?

So I re-installed it, and....

"Retrieval Failed - Siri could not downloaded required information from the server." is all I get now.

DocStone
Oct 5, 2011, 11:42 AM
You know, I have been with Apple for a very long time (IIC) and they are continually irritating the hell of me. SIRI was a free app and yes, it is a bit buggy but it is downright ****** they the would shut it down on my phone.

Now, before I get flamed, I know they are protecting their investment, but at least give it limited functionality.

BTW, if you think Apple is not being an ass lately, look into what they did with Logic 8 and Lion. They said it was not compatible and disabled the launch file. It actually works great in Lion but they wanted you to pony up and buy L9.

Clive At Five
Oct 5, 2011, 12:04 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

You think being free will stop people from being pissed? You're underestimating the innate capacity for indignation from cheapskates ;)

For fear of being called a cheapskate myself, I do find this to be an incredibly cheapskate-ish move by Apple. An A5 processor, improved antenna, and a piece of software is a truly lack-luster iteration. In the wake of S.Jobs' departure, Apple is frantic to do whatever they can to reassure stock-holders that they can still push units out the door. Forcibly obsolete-ing the iPhone 4 via software is a really low move, especially for Apple. People should be complaining about this, ESPECIALLY existing iPhone users, since we know the software isn't hardware-limited.

Down-vote away... *eye-roll*

Matt-M
Oct 5, 2011, 12:11 PM

More likely, the backend has changed to support the version in the 4S and they don't want to run two versions simultaneously.

monoskier
Oct 5, 2011, 12:14 PM
That's a big question - there seems to be no technical reason it wouldn't work on the iPad 2. If they cripple the feature to not work on that hardware, it's taking away a pretty nice selling point from the latest version of one of their biggest selling devices.

If I had to guess it would have something to do with Siri having to talk to a remote server or the results that it gives you. I'm guessing that the A5 does a lot of the local lifting but it still does some things on a remote server. It also appears that a lot of the results that Siri provides are things that revolve around having a data connection. Yes, the iPad 2 has the A5 and WiFi, but not all of them have 3G or are always connected via WiFi. I can see this limiting Siri's usefulness. If :apple: enables Siri on 3G iPad 2's but not others then I may be right. Time will tell...

mrelwood
Oct 5, 2011, 12:27 PM
Am I the only one who was sourly disappointed when I heard the voice of Siri? I thought there would've been atleast some progress on text-to-speech since the 80's.

Stephen Hawking much?

Snowy_River
Oct 5, 2011, 12:29 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

For fear of being called a cheapskate myself, I do find this to be an incredibly cheapskate-ish move by Apple. An A5 processor, improved antenna, and a piece of software is a truly lack-luster iteration. In the wake of S.Jobs' departure, Apple is frantic to do whatever they can to reassure stock-holders that they can still push units out the door. Forcibly obsolete-ing the iPhone 4 via software is a really low move, especially for Apple. People should be complaining about this, ESPECIALLY existing iPhone users, since we know the software isn't hardware-limited.

Rather than down vote, I'll offer counter point. The truth is that we DON'T know that the software isn't hardware limited. Based on information that's out there, there is reason to believe that this is a processor intensive app (see the article where the original developer of Siri talks about the corners they had to cut to get it to run on the 3GS). Now, we know that Apple has a track record of not allowing software to run on lesser hardware if the performance doesn't meet with their standards (Mac OS X's various hardware restrictions, iOS multitasking, etc.). Does that mean that Siri couldn't run on the iPhone 4, or even the iPhone 3GS, but it likely means that the performance of the new Siri doesn't meet Apple's standards. (The real question that isn't answered here is that of the iPad 2, which can't as easily be argued as a hardware issue).

Now, as to your other comment: "An A5 processor, improved antenna, and a piece of software is a truly lack-luster iteration." Here I'll level some significant criticism. So, you're saying replacing the internals with new and improved internals, changing the antenna to give better reception and introducing a new piece of software to provide some powerful new capabilities, and this amounts to a lack-luster update? Really? Then what would constitute a good update to you?

If there is one feature that you were hoping for that didn't materialized (like a bigger screen or a new body design), then say that. But just because it fails to deliver on one or two features that you wanted doesn't add up to it being a bad or weak or lack-luster update.

Pontavignon
Oct 5, 2011, 12:53 PM
Will SIRI run on the iPad 2?

Apple says the SIRI Personal Assistant to be included in iOS5 on October 12 will run on the iPhone 4S but not the iPhone4. The question is whether this is a real hardware limitation (the new SIRI requires the faster A5 chip to function properly) or an artificial barrier imposed by Apple to force iPhone clients to adopt the newer product.

One step toward resolving this question will be provided October 12 if SIRI runs on the iPad2, which uses the same A5 dual core SOC as the iPhone 4S. If it does, there will be at least a semblance of support for any claim that the faster processing was a requirement. If it does not, then Apple is running a cruel number on it's clients.

Guess we find out which it is on the 12th.

coltman75
Oct 5, 2011, 01:15 PM

Apple says the SIRI Personal Assistant to be included in iOS5 on October 12 will run on the iPhone 4S but not the iPhone4. The question is whether this is a real hardware limitation (the new SIRI requires the faster A5 chip to function properly) or an artificial barrier imposed by Apple to force iPhone clients to adopt the newer product.

One step toward resolving this question will be provided October 12 if SIRI runs on the iPad2, which uses the same A5 dual core SOC as the iPhone 4S. If it does, there will be at least a semblance of support for any claim that the faster processing was a requirement. If it does not, then Apple is running a cruel number on it's clients.

The iPad 2 doesn't run the Voice command feature. So I presume that it won't run Siri, either.

diamond.g
Oct 5, 2011, 01:40 PM

Wouldn't folks know that answer now since the GM Seed is out?

DavidLeblond
Oct 5, 2011, 01:48 PM
Image (http:///Users/dave/Pictures/PhotoSync/iPhone 4/Camera Roll/IMG_1822.PNG)

"Tap it..." :D

minivini
Oct 5, 2011, 01:48 PM

Am I the only one who was sourly disappointed when I heard the voice of Siri? I thought there would've been atleast some progress on text-to-speech since the 80's.

Stephen Hawking much?

"Stephen Hawking much". That was a good one :p

baryon
Oct 5, 2011, 02:33 PM

Yes but those with an iPhone 4 can no longer enjoy Siri AT ALL, as the improved version is only available on the 4S!

PeteMD
Oct 5, 2011, 02:35 PM

That's not an argument. Sure the new one is a big Improvement over the old one, but it's lame to take away a perfectly working lesser version of the app from the millions with iPhone 4's and 3GS's.

milo
Oct 5, 2011, 03:08 PM
If I had to guess it would have something to do with Siri having to talk to a remote server or the results that it gives you. I'm guessing that the A5 does a lot of the local lifting but it still does some things on a remote server. It also appears that a lot of the results that Siri provides are things that revolve around having a data connection. Yes, the iPad 2 has the A5 and WiFi, but not all of them have 3G or are always connected via WiFi. I can see this limiting Siri's usefulness. If :apple: enables Siri on 3G iPad 2's but not others then I may be right. Time will tell...

True, but even the 4s may not always get reception so in that case it gives an error. You're right, they could enable it just on the 3G iPad but that seems unlikely since they've specifically said it can use wifi.

The iPad 2 doesn't run the Voice command feature. So I presume that it won't run Siri, either.

That's with iOS 4. No reason that couldn't change with iOS 5.

Wouldn't folks know that answer now since the GM Seed is out?

Good point although it's possible they could include the software but have it disabled until the 4s ships (or make it an additional download later). If they did support it on iPad 2 they'd still want to make sure nobody was playing with the feature before the 4s release.

Yes but those with an iPhone 4 can no longer enjoy Siri AT ALL, as the improved version is only available on the 4S!

If apple considered that performance not up to snuff, they wouldn't want people still running the old version and assuming that's how it works on 4s.

That's not an argument. Sure the new one is a big Improvement over the old one, but it's lame to take away a perfectly working lesser version of the app from the millions with iPhone 4's and 3GS's.

You may not agree with that argument but that doesn't mean it isn't one. Apple probably doesn't consider it "perfectly working" and doesn't want people dismissing the new version based on impressions with the version that makes compromises.

DavidLeblond
Oct 5, 2011, 03:12 PM
You may not agree with that argument but that doesn't mean it isn't one. Apple probably doesn't consider it "perfectly working" and doesn't want people dismissing the new version based on impressions with the version that makes compromises.

Siri is a feature added to help sell iPhone 4S to people who normally wouldn't get one because it is "the same as the iPhone 4." Chances are very good that it would run on the iPhone 4 just fine. But there has to be more differentiation between the devices so it was made to be iPhone 4 only.

The Siri assistant is being disabled because Apple doesn't want people saying "well I could save myself some money and just download the app..."

griz
Oct 5, 2011, 03:42 PM
I have an iPhone4 that isn't eligible for upgrade until 2013. So instead of continuing to have access to the basic functionality of Siri (Which I use all the time) Apple has to kill it? That makes a whole lot of sense.
Anyone have Tim Cook's Email address?

Anonymous Freak
Oct 5, 2011, 04:13 PM
If apple considered that performance not up to snuff, they wouldn't want people still running the old version and assuming that's how it works on 4s.

Performance has *ZERO* to do with it. Siri Assistant (the independently-developed software that Apple later bought,) run just fine on an iPhone 3G. It was officially supported (by Siri, when it was an independent company) on an iPhone 3GS. All of the actual speech recognition and processing is done by a central server somewhere. Siri (both the independent app and the iPhone 4S implementation) requires an active internet connection. Even to look up local-stored-on-your-phone information.

Apple isn't just "adding more to the 4S", they're completely removing access to existing users using the existing app. It's not a "the old phones aren't fast enough" issue, it's an "Apple wants it to be special for the new phone" issue.

Siri is being released as a beta, though. It is possible that they could release it to older phones after it leaves beta status.

What would happen if you bought a Ford Focus. Then, later, you got a Tom Tom GPS unit for your car. Tom Tom updates its GPS maps, traffic, and directions over the internet. Let's pretend that unlike in real life, the Tom Tom was paid for with ads instead of you having to pay for it. Then one day, Ford buys Tom Tom. They announce that they are going to integrate Tom Tom GPS into their new-and-improved Focus! Hey, great! Then you find out that when this new Focus comes out, your old Tom Tom will just cease working completely.

Lame.

Schtumple
Oct 5, 2011, 04:26 PM

I could imagine Siri would be far more suited for tablets than phones, given the usage difference of the two. If Siri isn't coming to the iPad then Apples made bit of a crappy move there, but I guess that'll be answered next week.

aarond12
Oct 5, 2011, 04:36 PM
You know what? F--k you, Apple, for this planned obsolescence ******. I am really tired of it.

My iPhone 4 is 1 year old. I rarely used the Siri application (Google Voice and Dragon Go! are better), but why discontinue an application for other iPhone users? To intice us to buy a new iPhone? This has the opposite effect on me: After my first-generation MacBook Pro is abandoned for Mac OS X 10.7 Lion for no apparent reason (the betas would run on it with a easy hack), I'm starting to get really p---ed at Apple. When my contract is up in 1 year, I am seriously going to consider an Android phone for the first time.

I know they want to sell as many computers and phones as possible, but stop doing obvious things to try and make things obsolete! I am a former Apple stock holder (just sold last month at $400+) so I understand how profit margins work and planned obsolescence. However, this is just disgraceful. Pulling the Siri app from the App Store is one thing. Adding an "update" to tell us that Siri is getting pulled from existing users... f--k you, Apple. :mad:

----------

tcook@apple.com -- I already emailed him on this topic earlier today. :mad:

----------

The Siri assistant is being disabled because Apple doesn't want people saying "well I could save myself some money and just download the app..."
They removed it from the App Store, which I have no problem with. My problem is that they disabled it for existing users.

transmaster
Oct 5, 2011, 04:42 PM

Oh My God this layed me out on the floor laughing. I happen to have three friends who paid their way through school doing "Lot Lizard" service at the local truck stops who will get a kick out of this App. Their CB handles where "Thunder Thighs", "Lunch Buns", and "Pretty Thing." :D:D:D:D:D

MacinDoc
Oct 5, 2011, 05:01 PM

I believe that the contrary is actually true; it has been reported in the JB community that Siri (at least in the iP4S iteration) will not run on a jailbroken iP4.

----------

You know what? F--k you, Apple, for this planned obsolescence ******. I am really tired of it.

My iPhone 4 is 1 year old. I rarely used the Siri application (Google Voice and Dragon Go! are better), but why discontinue an application for other iPhone users? To intice us to buy a new iPhone? This has the opposite effect on me: After my first-generation MacBook Pro is abandoned for Mac OS X 10.7 Lion for no apparent reason (the betas would run on it with a easy hack), I'm starting to get really p---ed at Apple. When my contract is up in 1 year, I am seriously going to consider an Android phone for the first time.

I know they want to sell as many computers and phones as possible, but stop doing obvious things to try and make things obsolete! I am a former Apple stock holder (just sold last month at $400+) so I understand how profit margins work and planned obsolescence. However, this is just disgraceful. Pulling the Siri app from the App Store is one thing. Adding an "update" to tell us that Siri is getting pulled from existing users... f--k you, Apple. :mad:

----------

----------

They removed it from the App Store, which I have no problem with. My problem is that they disabled it for existing users.
Apple is very careful about perceived dilution of the value of its core technologies. This is partly why Apple is so aggressive in attacking look-alike products made by other companies. In the case of Siri, Apple does not want its flagship natural speech recognition technology to be confused with the considerably inferior app that was previously available.

I suppose Apple could have re-branded the pre-existing App and maintained its functionality, but that would have required Apple to maintain two separate server systems for voice recognition, since one would need to have much more limited functionality than the other.

wilhoitm
Oct 5, 2011, 05:02 PM

----------

----------

I heard the new version of Siri requires 1 GB or RAM which the iPad 2 does not have... Question is... Does the iPhone 4(S) have 1GB or RAM?

Snowy_River
Oct 5, 2011, 05:20 PM
Performance has *ZERO* to do with it. ... All of the actual speech recognition and processing is done by a central server somewhere. ... It's not a "the old phones aren't fast enough" issue, it's an "Apple wants it to be special for the new phone" issue.

And you know this...how? Were you a member of the development team? Do you know from having worked on the code exactly what is done locally vs. what is done via a server connection?

I believe that the contrary is actually true; it has been reported in the JB community that Siri (at least in the iP4S iteration) will not run on a jailbroken iP4.

Interesting. It would definitely be interesting to know if this is due to a hardware shortcoming or if Siri is smart enough to know that it's on hardware that it's not "allowed" to run on...

Apple is very careful about perceived dilution of the value of its core technologies. This is partly why Apple is so aggressive in attacking look-alike products made by other companies. In the case of Siri, Apple does not want its flagship natural speech recognition technology to be confused with the considerably inferior app that was previously available.

I suppose Apple could have re-branded the pre-existing App and maintained its functionality, but that would have required Apple to maintain two separate server systems for voice recognition, since one would need to have much more limited functionality than the other.

Fair point. It still leaves people who have been users of the technology out in the cold. And it's especially poignant when the user, such as myself, uses it on hardware that should be able to run it: the iPad 2.

I heard the new version of Siri requires 1 GB or RAM which the iPad 2 does not have... Question is... Does the iPhone 4(S) have 1GB or RAM?

Where have you heard that? That would be an awfully inefficient app, given the amount that can be done with 512MB on the iPad 2. I find that hard to swallow...

(Add to that that we don't even know if the iPhone 4S has 1GB of RAM...)

MacinDoc
Oct 5, 2011, 05:34 PM
Fair point. It still leaves people who have been users of the technology out in the cold. And it's especially poignant when the user, such as myself, uses it on hardware that should be able to run it: the iPad 2.
Here's hoping it will come to the iPad2. I wonder if there is anything else in terms of hardware requirements that is unique to the iP4S. I guess we'll just have to wait for iFixit's teardown to find out.

Hastings101
Oct 5, 2011, 05:48 PM
Actually, even the old version of Siri gets "own android fans on mac rumors". It then looks for "mac" in my local area... I'd be curious to see how the new version interprets the command. But the speech recognition is, in my experience, exceptionally reliable.

It is probably pretty good, I've just never had a great experience with things like Siri (or really found much use for them), but that's probably because I feel kind of stupid just talking to my phone so I tend to mumble lol

Westacular
Oct 5, 2011, 08:04 PM

That's with iOS 4. No reason that couldn't change with iOS 5.

True. But it does reveal an existing view, within Apple, that voice commands and voice-driven interaction are much less of a priority with a tablet form factor than with a phone.

The value of something like Siri is greatest in situations where your hands and/or eyes are otherwise occupied, and you can't manipulate the phone in the usual manner. The likelihood of finding yourself in such a situation while having your phone is in your pocket is much greater than the likelihood of being in such a situation with an iPad sitting next to you.

The greater screen size of the iPad comes with a correspondingly greater emphasis on tactile input and visual output. Apple may have deemed, for the time being, that the usage case for Siri on an iPad is too weak to prioritize giving it an interface suitable for the iPad screen.

Additionally: typing on the iPad, with its full-size onscreen keyboard, is much easier than on the iPhone's comparatively tiny screen -- there is consequently less of an impetus for voice recognition functions as a substitute form of text entry.

There is also the possibility that the 4S includes other hardware features, beyond just the faster CPU, that are required to make Siri work. Unlikely, I think, but possible.

If Siri is a huge hit with the 4S, and if there's no technical limitation preventing it from working on an iPad 2, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple added that as a feature in iOS 5.1 or 5.2. Purely from an accessibility standpoint, I think they'd see some value in doing it. But software development takes time, user interfaces for the iPad are not the same as for an iPhone, and Apple does not have unlimited resources; it could be that Siri-on-iPad is something that was deferred to a later date, with all current efforts going into the already massive set of software releases coming next week.

Off the top of my head: iOS 5, iCloud, and the many new/updated Apple apps related to them; Siri and new camera features specific to the 4S; iTunes 10.5; OS X 10.7.2 and iCloud on the Mac; and that's not even getting into backend stuff to support all that. Apple is arguable facing the biggest, most complex coordinated set of (near-) simultaneous software releases it has ever attempted. It's quite plausible that Siri-on-iPad got bumped from the list of things needed to be included. Hell, even Siri on the 4S is being labelled only as a Beta for the initial release.

No More Windows
Oct 5, 2011, 09:33 PM
I think the bigger picture here is that the reason we got the iPhone 4S is because the new "Mythical" iPhone 5 just wasn't ready yet, and Apple wanted desperately to have a new device out for the expected holiday sales boom. To be honest, I had never heard of Siri until I watched the podcast of the launch yesterday, and I dare say that the vast majority of users hadn't heard of it either. That being said, I was mightily impressed with what I saw, and I was disappointed that it wont be on the original iPhone 4, but it certainly isn't enough for me to go out and buy a new iPhone for. I was more impressed with the A5 powered Infinity Blade 2 demo and the 1080p HD video and 8 MP camera.

Personally I'm only about 9 months into a 2 year contract with my iPhone 4 and really can't afford to break the contract. I'll be more likely to just wait it out for another year and maybe upgrade to the next iPhone when they release it, (iPhone 6?) which, if you follow the past release patterns from the guys at Cupertino, wont be that long a wait anyway. I admire how Apple wont release a product until it's right, I guess that is a trait that came from the late Mr Jobs, but it's one of the reasons that when you pick up an Apple device you can feel the quality and it works!! The same cannot be said for the many of the "Ahem..." competitors out there.

I already have the most popular phone on the market at the moment, and I've barely put it down since I've had it. Each day I discover something else it can do that I didn't know, or another great app. Simply put the iPhone 4 is an awsome device, but I can certainly wait it out for iPhone 6. After all, the world wont stop if you don't have the newest, latest and greatest device out there...

On a side note, Tim Cook is simply not a showman... He tried hard, and worked like a demon, but some of his speech was like a dose of morphine compared to the late great Steve Jobs' legendary presentations. Tim even made mild mannered Phil Schiller look animated yesterday, and Scott "Terminator" Forstall looked like the Energiser Bunny!!

For our sake :apple: please bring back Woz!!

waldobushman
Oct 5, 2011, 09:40 PM
I wonder why Siri would not work with the iPad2? Same A5 cpu. Maybe the initial Siri will be released only for iPhone 4s, but I would expect to be available on iPad2.

Any reason technically why not?

waldobushman
Oct 5, 2011, 09:50 PM

I would expect not only perhaps incompatibility of the Siri app with the new version, but Apple doesn't want to allow an inferior product to be associated with the embedded version. I do expect a Siri app to become available on other Apple platforms, including the iPad2, which should be a compatible platform.

daxomni
Oct 5, 2011, 11:43 PM
You think being free will stop people from being pissed? You're underestimating the innate capacity for indignation from cheapskates.
So buying a $600 phone and downloading a free program exactly as intended by the developer is equivalent to being a cheapskate?

touchmonkey
Oct 6, 2011, 08:47 AM
No, we're pissed because it was a great app that's being taken away just to push folks to the 4S.
I'd gladly pay for it. I'm not upgrading to 4S.

thewitt
Oct 6, 2011, 08:50 AM
Siri was a paid app, and was severely crippled on the existing hardware. No more than a technology demonstration.

touchmonkey
Oct 6, 2011, 08:54 AM
I have an iPhone4 that isn't eligible for upgrade until 2013. So instead of continuing to have access to the basic functionality of Siri (Which I use all the time) Apple has to kill it? That makes a whole lot of sense.

No, but please give them feedback about this.

----------

Siri was a paid app, and was severely crippled on the existing hardware. No more than a technology demonstration.

I don't think it was. If so they owe us a refund.

Trotter456
Oct 6, 2011, 09:01 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8L1)

Siri was good enough to be includedall those iPhone 4 commercials. Although it wasn't the sole reason bought an iPhone. It was certainly a desirable feature that was part of my desision to by my iPhone 4. I find it pretty upsetting that they would show this app in millions of their iPhone 4 commercials then buy out the company and shut them down on my 4.

Timur
Oct 6, 2011, 09:50 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0hl1-06gOo

Clive At Five
Oct 6, 2011, 10:12 AM

----------

----------

----------

Having dabbled in hackintoshes, I know very well that often times what stands between a piece of software and full-operability of a piece of hardware is a hardware ID. I suspect this is the same case. No "4S", no dice.

touchmonkey
Oct 6, 2011, 10:31 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8L1)

Siri was good enough to be includedall those iPhone 4 commercials. Although it wasn't the sole reason bought an iPhone. It was certainly a desirable feature that was part of my desision to by my iPhone 4. I find it pretty upsetting that they would show this app in millions of their iPhone 4 commercials then buy out the company and shut them down on my 4.

Actually I just used Siri to "send feedback to Apple": "Don't delete Siri!"
Do it.

griz
Oct 6, 2011, 12:02 PM
I don't care if they make it a paid app for iPhone4. I'd pay $4.99 on the app store for it.

JAT
Oct 6, 2011, 12:14 PM
It is probably pretty good, I've just never had a great experience with things like Siri (or really found much use for them), but that's probably because I feel kind of stupid just talking to my phone so I tend to mumble lol
Why does this bother people? You talk through your phone to other people, right? Looks the same to that guy sitting 10' away.

touchmonkey
Oct 6, 2011, 12:29 PM
I don't care if they make it a paid app for iPhone4. I'd pay $4.99 on the app store for it.
Geez, don't start the negotiations so high.:)

dswalins
Oct 6, 2011, 05:36 PM
No, we're pissed because it was a great app that's being taken away just to push folks to the 4S.
I'd gladly pay for it. I'm not upgrading to 4S.

Great. It'll cost about $300 and you get a free phone with it.

mozbius
Oct 6, 2011, 06:16 PM

Stephen Hawking much?

TTS actually did evolve ALOT and what's currently available is almost indistinguishable from true voice recording! What you hear in the Apple's demo is RealSpeak but there's the new Vocalizer and that thing is incredible! I bet we will see it in iPhone 5!

Mr. Gates
Oct 6, 2011, 08:57 PM
Gee Thanks Apple :rolleyes:

Glad they didn't Provide true GPS this time

Otherwise they would have taken away the MAPS :eek:

This has the butt hurt smell of Steve Jobs all over it.

Such a Jerk move

Tiggs
Oct 6, 2011, 09:15 PM
No surprise, always on to the next thing and casting aside the old.

ROGERWILCO357
Oct 6, 2011, 09:16 PM

it did! LOL... try it

did you really think we were going to believe first you have a girlfriend second that it wasn;t you just asking for companionship?:rolleyes:

BettBee
Oct 7, 2011, 11:44 AM

So unhelpful.

----------

More than a bit lame. It's environmentally disastrous.

Makers of cellphones and similar technology are known for being huge users of resources, as well as polluters. Not encouraging people to use their existing tech for a reasonable amount of time is just wrong. (As in, someone buys a new phone several months before the new release, and that purchase is not supported for the approximately one-to-two years for which most people keep their phones.)

Apple is not polishing it's environmental image with this one. It constantly pushes older technology out by making it obsolete. So wrong.

Interesting related factoid of the day: did you know it's more "green" to drive your old car into the ground than to buy a new hybrid?

Anonymous Freak
Oct 7, 2011, 08:44 PM
And you know this...how? Were you a member of the development team? Do you know from having worked on the code exactly what is done locally vs. what is done via a server connection?

Um...

Because Siri said so when they were still an independent company? Because there is a disclaimer at the bottom of the page for Siri "requires internet access"?

Which makes me wonder how much data transfer Siri uses... If I opt for the low-end data package, would using Siri a lot, and nearly no other internet usage, push me over the limit?

arbourable
Oct 8, 2011, 08:11 AM
So unhelpful.

----------

More than a bit lame. It's environmentally disastrous...

Not really... once traded in, the old phone can be REUSED.

thewitt
Oct 8, 2011, 08:29 AM
Did any of you guys screaming for Siri on your iPhone 4 actually buy it and use it when it was in the store? I did and it was barely a demonstration of the technology. The developer has stated that it had to be dumbed down considerably for the old hardware. The iPhone 4S is, in his words, the first platform with the capability to run the full version.

touchmonkey
Oct 8, 2011, 09:17 AM
Did any of you guys screaming for Siri on your iPhone 4 actually buy it and use it when it was in the store? I did and it was barely a demonstration of the technology. The developer has stated that it had to be dumbed down considerably for the old hardware. The iPhone 4S is, in his words, the first platform with the capability to run the full version.
Disagree. I find it (still) works quite adequately. Still use it.
You can even use it to "send feedback to Apple"......"don't take away Siri!"

----------

Not really... once traded in, the old phone can be REUSED.

Don't really want to go down this derail too far, but your point has validity too.
The issue here is a software change leading to a hardware change for no compelling reason.
And the "ethics" and business sense of taking away something on your device.
Its pissing loyal Apple users off, and there isn't a compelling reason to do so.
Like the change of the function of the rotation lock switch.
Maybe if there's enough feedback (do it) Apple will change course.

zigzagg321
Oct 8, 2011, 09:23 AM
The argument is that the old siri app will make the new Siri integrated app look bad. What malarkey.

The truth is, the killing of the Siri app on iPhone4 was nothing more than a ploy to get more 4S sales.

deplorable in my opinion.

thewitt
Oct 8, 2011, 09:28 AM
It's a demonstration app at best with less than a 50% recognition rate and very little intelligence the way it's currently implemented.

touchmonkey
Oct 8, 2011, 10:05 AM
It's a demonstration app at best with less than a 50% recognition rate and very little intelligence the way it's currently implemented.

Even if true, people seemed to like it.

labman
Oct 8, 2011, 01:49 PM
I have faith in my jailbreak community to come up with a hack. Obviously Apple wanted Siri to help 4S sales. I wish they would add something like sbsettings to sell them.

nateo200
Oct 8, 2011, 03:21 PM
Why?!

BSODloljks
Oct 8, 2011, 11:46 PM
There isn't an alternative to Siri at the moment. There are voice commands, but Siri is tech you can have a conversation with. Both have dictation options, sure, but Siri is far more advanced than anything else out there.

And it'll probably stay that way for a long while. AI is a lot harder to copy than hardware. I doubt anything other than the iPhone will have such capabilities for at least a few years. But, like always, the Android camp will simply crap itself with spec-comparisons [not realizing that iPhone 4S + iOS 5 + A5 is a faster combination than anything else out there because of Apple's integrated optimization], and miss the bigger picture.

so true

Xenc
Oct 9, 2011, 10:34 AM

Haha that's awesome! I hope the iPhone 4S keeps this lighthearted personality. The current Siri also has responses such as "It's rude to ask a lady's age" and other jovial quips. It even recommends taking a minicab when you tell it you're drunk.

Unfortunately I don't think Apple's version will be as fun :(

lpshanet
Oct 10, 2011, 03:54 PM
I downloaded the original Siri app to my iPod Touch a long while back. I seem to remember it working fine at the time. Then, after not using it for quite a while, I tried it again a few days ago (after the announcement of the iPhone 4S) and it won't open.

It now responds with the message "Something's not right... I'm not getting the information I need to help you." I can't go any further after that. Not sure why this is happening, but it isn't due to the phasing out of the app, since it's supposed to work until 10/15, and others report that theirs is working fine.

Does anyone with Siri experience have any suggestions? Also, is there anywhere I can get any kind of support or talk to admins or developers about it? Doing a search has been fruitless, as any current search using "Siri" turns up only tons of stuff about the new app for the 4S.

Thanks in advance.

AppleMacDudeG4
Oct 10, 2011, 10:26 PM
I think it is a bad idea for Apple to discontinue the Siri app. I am sure that there is no reason to remove it except to force people to get the new iPhone. I happen to like Dragon Go! so at least I have an alternative and it is free on the app store.

touchmonkey
Oct 15, 2011, 03:54 AM
Seems like Apple, once again, is forcing some to jailbreak if they want certain features:

"Perhaps the biggest news here is that weíve determined that there is no technical reason for Apple not to allow Siri to run on the iPhone 4."
http://9to5mac.com/2011/10/14/siri-voice-command-system-ported-from-iphone-4s-to-iphone-4-video/