Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bwillard5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
I joined macrumors to ask this question. Anyways I currently have a 2g iPod Touch and was wondering if I will be able to update it next week to iOS 5? The new features I want the most for my 2g are iMessage, iCloud and Airprint.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Sadly, the iPod Touch 2G can only go up to iOS 4.2.1. You'll have to upgrade to a newer iPod Touch to get those features.

bwillard5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
Will the current iPod Touch 4g on the market be dropped in price to sell out stock before the new iPod Touch 5g releases? The 4g does upgrade to 5g right?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It appears that the iPod Touch 4G is not being replaced by a iPod Touch 5G, but instead being sold for another year. The iPod Touch 4G can run iOS 5 without a problem.

sebdd

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2011
So if I buy an iPod Touch tomorrow, it will be EXACTLY the same as one bought after October 12th? (besides the possibly pre-installed iOS5)

bwillard5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
So if I buy an iPod Touch tomorrow, it will be EXACTLY the same as one bought after October 12th? (besides the possibly pre-installed iOS5)
Unless you wanted a white one I would guess from what Intell is saying.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside

As far as I know, yes. But it may have a slightly different model number and the new one could white.

It similar to how Apple kept around the 8Gb iPod Touch 2G when the iPod Touch 3G was announced. It was the same stuff, but with a slightly updated bootrom and different model number.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
Also similar to the iPod classic. They continue to keep it around as long as units are moving, but they talk about it less and less and do nothing to update it.

bwillard5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
Thanks for answering my question Intell. I've decided to continue using my iPod Touch 2g and just continue to use my tracfone for texting. A White model and a bad camera aren't enough reason for me to upgrade.

joecool99

Suspended
Aug 20, 2008
USA
the technical specs were not released.

any possibility it would have more RAM, or different CPU ?
or do we need to wait for ifixit tear-down ?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
the technical specs were not released.

any possibility it would have more RAM, or different CPU ?
or do we need to wait for ifixit tear-down ?

If it had any internal upgrades, Apple would have stated them with something like "And now it has the Apple A5 chip running twice as fast and with graphics 7 times better". But Apple didn't state that. Meaning, its still an A4 driven device.

sebdd

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2011
My local Apple Store's own site lists an A4 chip next to the white one, but doesn't mention anything about the RAM.

Also, when reading the small print on Apple's site, it says:

iCloud requires iOS 5 on iPhone 3GS or later, iPod touch (3rd and 4th generation) [...]

Whith no mention of a #5 generation, making me guess it's all the same.

Gonna go to the Apple Store tomorrow and ask what's up, and most likely end up buying one if there's no actual difference.

Invincibilizer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
If it had any internal upgrades, Apple would have stated them with something like "And now it has the Apple A5 chip running twice as fast and with graphics 7 times better". But Apple didn't state that. Meaning, its still an A4 driven device.

Apple never mentions RAM upgrades for any of their devices..

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Intell said:

Apple never mentions RAM upgrades for any of their devices..

Reading my post you'll see I never used the word "RAM". I said "twice as fast". This is exactly what Apple said about the iPhone 4S and iPad 2 with the A5. If the iPod Touch did get the A5, they would have said similar things about it being "twice as fast".

Invincibilizer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011

Reading my post you'll see I never used the word "RAM". I said "twice as fast". This is exactly what Apple said about the iPhone 4S and iPad 2 with the A5. If the iPod Touch did get the A5, they would have said similar things about it being "twice as fast".

You talked about internal upgrades?
RAM is upgraded internally....

Apple didn't put A5 but they didn't rule out the possibility of 512 MB RAM which would allow for more multitasking not necessarily speeding up the device.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You talked about internal upgrades?
RAM is upgraded internally....

Apple didn't put A5 but they didn't rule out the possibility of 512 MB RAM which would allow for more multitasking not necessarily speeding up the device.

Internal upgrades could be anything, new bootrom, new CPU, more ram, better camera, more storage, different colour logicboard. But most Apple people know the only internal upgrades mentioned during keynotes are the CPU, camera, and storage. None of which where touched upon during the keynote. If the ram was upgraded while retaining the A4, Apple would have still stated it being "faster then the last year's model". But the only change made, was the colour of its faceplate.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Say what?!? I have a 2g iPod touch on 4.3.3

That's quite impossible. iOS 4.3.3 does not have the needed bits for the iPod Touch 2G and no firmware for iOS 4.3.X was ever released for the iPod Touch 2G. You have an iPod Touch 3G.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I called today, they didn't seem to know if there was any difference, but they are still charging the 229 price for the 8GB model. I asked if it was the same iPod touch but a different price/color and they said they wouldn't know until they get them in.

I'm leaning towards going to pick one up tomorrow, then come the 12th if the device is different, I'll just return it.(Actually, I'll probably return it just to get my 30 dollar back)

bwillard5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
I decided to upgrade to an iPod Touch 4g and have been using the camera and have come to the conclusion that the picture quality is about the same as what you probably would've found in older cell phones. Anyways I hope I made the right decision. But if the camera was upgraded in the new one coming out next week will updating the 4g to iOS 5 improve the camera?

Tech Elementz

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2011
First of all, there is no iPod Touch 5G. There is only a new iPod Touch 4 in white and black. That's it.

Second of all, the hardware in the white version of the iPod Touch 4 is the same as the black iPod Touch 4.

Third of all, the iPod Touch 2 can only run up to iOS 4.2.1. The iPod Touch 2 only came out in 8, 16, and 32 GB models. The model number is "MB". When the iPod Touch 3 came out, they created a 32 and 64 GB versions with the updated hardware and same casing as the iPod Touch 2. The latest version for the iPod Touch 3 is 4.3.5. For the 8 GB model that year, that was the iPod Touch 2 with the "MC" model number.

I hope this clarifies some things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.