PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 boot time

komoornik
Oct 5, 2011, 03:16 PM
I'm a bit dissaponted about the win 7 boot time.

On 99% computers with SSD's I've used in the past, the glowing windows logo was just appearing for a second or two. On MBA it stays for 10 to 15 seconds.

Full boot to Win 7 takes about 45 seconds - terribly slow for a SSD drive :mad:

Am I the only one?

P.S. I'm using i5 4/128 11.6" Air.

edit: OK, I was pissed so i reinstalled Windows - and BOOM ! Without the drivers it takes straight 30 seconds from pushing the power button. I need to investigate this.

edit 2: after manual install of drivers - it's the ****ing graphics driver from intel. seems like that windows logo freezes with them. I got to do smth with it coz it's 10-15 seconds longer boot time :(

liudekhua
Oct 5, 2011, 07:30 PM
i have a mba 13" 2010 max out. the boot time for my windows 7 is roughly the same as yours, 30-40 sec. it is ridiculously slow for an ssd but i couldnt figure out why and i rarely boot to windows so it didnt really bothered me.

Mayo7
Oct 5, 2011, 07:33 PM
For what it's worth, Windows 7 boot time for my Windows laptop (a lenovo) with OCZ Vertex2 SSD is just around 60 seconds.

TheRealDamager
Oct 5, 2011, 11:33 PM
I've never understood all of the angst about boot times on the Air. I boot MAYBE once every 2 months - are you shutting down every day?

komoornik
Oct 6, 2011, 12:02 AM
I would understand it, if the logo would be glowing all the time.

But I can clearly see it's freezing, so it's not looking normal.

komoornik
Oct 6, 2011, 03:58 PM
Can anyboody atleast confirm, I'm not the only one?

KPOM
Oct 6, 2011, 04:36 PM
It's about 25 seconds for me (compared to about 15 seconds for OS X). I have the 2011 11" i7/256GB model.

Note that one reason that Windows boots up a little more slowly is that the Boot Camp drivers don't support the fastest AHCI interface. That's why the drive scores a 6.9 instead of 7.9 on the Windows Experience Index, and why disk writes are actually faster in Parallels or VMWare Fusion than in Boot Camp. It also means TRIM doesn't work right in Windows 7.

60 seconds seems long, though.

----------

edit 2: after manual install of drivers - it's the ****ing graphics driver from intel. seems like that windows logo freezes with them. I got to do smth with it coz it's 10-15 seconds longer boot time :(

If you have a 2011, then you can download the updated Sandy Bridge graphics drivers from Intel's web site. 32-bit (http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3319&DwnldID=20389&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Processor+graphics&ProductProduct=2nd+Generation+Intel%C2%AE+Core%E2%84%A2+Processors+with+Intel%C2%AE+HD+Graphics+3000 %2f2000&DownloadType=Drivers&lang=eng) and 64-bit (http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3319&DwnldID=20389&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Processor+graphics&ProductProduct=2nd+Generation+Intel%C2%AE+Core%E2%84%A2+Processors+with+Intel%C2%AE+HD+Graphics+3000 %2f2000&DownloadType=Drivers&lang=eng) drivers are available.

komoornik
Oct 6, 2011, 05:01 PM
I've tried updated drivers.

So logo doesn't freeze on your Air? I can't understand it.

I got a 7.1 WEI score for drive - Samsung SSD.

You're using 32 or 64 bit version of Windows?

KPOM
Oct 6, 2011, 05:20 PM
I've tried updated drivers.

So logo doesn't freeze on your Air? I can't understand it.

I got a 7.1 WEI score for drive - Samsung SSD.

You're using 32 or 64 bit version of Windows?

64-bit. Have you tried reverting to the Boot Camp drivers?

komoornik
Oct 6, 2011, 05:25 PM
Yupp.

I've tried bootcamp drivers, one from windows update and from intel site.

IDK - you got a Toshiba or Samsung drive?

KPOM
Oct 6, 2011, 05:49 PM
Yupp.

I've tried bootcamp drivers, one from windows update and from intel site.

IDK - you got a Toshiba or Samsung drive?

Samsung.

orfeas0
Oct 6, 2011, 05:51 PM
I've never understood all of the angst about boot times on the Air. I boot MAYBE once every 2 months - are you shutting down every day?

you obviously don't use boot camp... But people who do use it, yea they reboot 1-5 times a day.

2IS
Oct 6, 2011, 05:51 PM
From the time I see the bars scrolling across the screen to my login screen takes about 18 seconds on my 2010 C2D 1.86GHz Toshiba equipped SSD MBA.

Riker88
Oct 6, 2011, 08:15 PM

On 99% computers with SSD's I've used in the past, the glowing windows logo was just appearing for a second or two. On MBA it stays for 10 to 15 seconds.

Am I the only one?

P.S. I'm using i5 " Air.

edit: OK, I was pissed so i reinstalled Windows - and BOOM ! Without the drivers it takes straight 30 seconds from pushing the power button. I need to investigate this.

You are not the only one. My MBA i7 11" takes about 45 secs to boot up Win 7 in bootcamp. It boots up much faster using Parallels however.

On my Windows 7 desktop with SSD, it boots up in about 25-30 secs and on my Windows 7 laptop with SSD, it takes about 30 secs.

Must be the bootcamp drivers slowing the MBA down

Interested to see if you manage to fix this

thejadedmonkey
Oct 6, 2011, 08:27 PM
i have a mba 13" 2010 max out. the boot time for my windows 7 is roughly the same as yours, 30-40 sec. it is ridiculously slow for an ssd but i couldnt figure out why and i rarely boot to windows so it didnt really bothered me.

My Dell boots up in about 40 seconds, and it's a 4500RPM HDD. If you have an SSD, there's definitely something wrong (but I'd blame Apple's crappy bootcamp drivers, not your machine specifically).

parapup
Oct 6, 2011, 09:57 PM
Have you selected Windows as the Startup Disk in BootCamp - If you don't do that the Apple firmware spends 5-10 seconds searching for bootable partitions every boot. Hopefully that's it and not some other weird disk/driver issue.

komoornik
Oct 7, 2011, 12:13 AM
I'm a Mac OS X newbie - where do I select it?

I think Win 7 is set as default, coz I don't choose anything on startup.

It's about 25 seconds for me (compared to about 15 seconds for OS X). I have the 2011 11" i7/256GB model.

Note that one reason that Windows boots up a little more slowly is that the Boot Camp drivers don't support the fastest AHCI interface. That's why the drive scores a 6.9 instead of 7.9 on the Windows Experience Index, and why disk writes are actually faster in Parallels or VMWare Fusion than in Boot Camp. It also means TRIM doesn't work right in Windows 7.

----------

If you have a 2011, then you can download the updated Sandy Bridge graphics drivers from Intel's web site. 32-bit (http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3319&DwnldID=20389&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Processor+graphics&ProductProduct=2nd+Generation+Intel%C2%AE+Core%E2%84%A2+Processors+with+Intel%C2%AE+HD+Graphics+3000 %2f2000&DownloadType=Drivers&lang=eng) and 64-bit (http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3319&DwnldID=20389&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Processor+graphics&ProductProduct=2nd+Generation+Intel%C2%AE+Core%E2%84%A2+Processors+with+Intel%C2%AE+HD+Graphics+3000 %2f2000&DownloadType=Drivers&lang=eng) drivers are available.

Hmmm - that 25 seconds is from hitting the power button?

Please tell me, you've just installed Windows via bootcamp and the used those drivers?

BTW - I didn't install any Mac OS X updates, coz I read they're ******. Do you got them ( EFI update for instance ) ?

You are not the only one. My MBA i7 11" takes about 45 secs to boot up Win 7 in bootcamp. It boots up much faster using Parallels however.

On my Windows 7 desktop with SSD, it boots up in about 25-30 secs and on my Windows 7 laptop with SSD, it takes about 30 secs.

Must be the bootcamp drivers slowing the MBA down

Interested to see if you manage to fix this

Please tell me, did you install Mac OS X Updates?

TheRealDamager
Oct 7, 2011, 12:40 AM
you obviously don't use boot camp... But people who do use it, yea they reboot 1-5 times a day.

I use a bootcamp partiton in Parallels. Why in the world would you reboot multiple times per day?

Chipg
Oct 7, 2011, 01:10 AM

----------

Same computer here and same time

komoornik
Oct 7, 2011, 02:29 AM
Please tell me, have you installed updates @ Mac OS X ? Especially EFI update?

mrsir2009
Oct 7, 2011, 02:45 AM
On the Lenovo Crap-pads at school it takes well over a minute for Windows 7 to boot... And those netbooks have SSDs! Meanwhile, my MacBook Pro takes about 30 secs to boot off a regular 7200RPM HDD.

Weird, huh?

KPOM
Oct 7, 2011, 04:38 AM
I'm a Mac OS X newbie - where do I select it?

I think Win 7 is set as default, coz I don't choose anything on startup.

When you power up, does it go automatically into Windows or OS X? If it's OS X, then you select the startup disk from System Preferences. There's an icon for "Startup Disk" in the 4th line of icons titled "System."

If it goes into Windows automatically (i.e. you need to hold down the option key to get into OS X), then it's already set up.

Hmmm - that 25 seconds is from hitting the power button?

It's about 30 seconds from when I select "Windows" from the Boot Camp menu. I have a login screen for Windows so that adds a few seconds, which is how I arrived at 25 seconds.

Please tell me, you've just installed Windows via bootcamp and the used those drivers?

BTW - I didn't install any Mac OS X updates, coz I read they're ******. Do you got them ( EFI update for instance ) ?

I installed the updated drivers from Intel's website. I also installed the EFI update and haven't had issues, though some people claim they have. I also install all the OS X updates and recommend you do the same. They include security updates, plus bug fixes for OS X. 10.7.2 should be coming next week and will fix some more bugs and add iCloud support.

orfeas0
Oct 7, 2011, 07:29 AM
I use a bootcamp partiton in Parallels. Why in the world would you reboot multiple times per day?

Parallels can't do everything boot camp does ;).
You would reboot multiple times per day if you want to play a game that only exists for windows. YAYAYA MBA isn't for gaming, but still... You get my point.

A question about Lion: If swiping 2 fingers horizontally in safari does back/forward, how do you scroll a page horizontally?

komoornik
Oct 7, 2011, 10:59 AM
When you power up, does it go automatically into Windows or OS X? If it's OS X, then you select the startup disk from System Preferences. There's an icon for "Startup Disk" in the 4th line of icons titled "System."

If it goes into Windows automatically (i.e. you need to hold down the option key to get into OS X), then it's already set up.

It's about 30 seconds from when I select "Windows" from the Boot Camp menu. I have a login screen for Windows so that adds a few seconds, which is how I arrived at 25 seconds.

I installed the updated drivers from Intel's website. I also installed the EFI update and haven't had issues, though some people claim they have. I also install all the OS X updates and recommend you do the same. They include security updates, plus bug fixes for OS X. 10.7.2 should be coming next week and will fix some more bugs and add iCloud support.

And how much does it take from hitting the power button to the moment login screen appears ? If you could set Windows for default for test.

Does the windows glowing logo freeze for you? For how much time it appears ?

Here's the video of my MBA starting up - it actually takes ~50 seconds from hitting the power button to the moment of showing desktop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnWkhFs3jXs

DeBilbao
Oct 7, 2011, 11:30 AM
You can use BootRacer to test your Windows boot speed. It's free and will help you know what time it takes to windows logon and to windows desktop.

http://www.greatis.com/bootracer/

I don't have my 2011 MBA (i5 1.7 GHz / 4GB / 256 Samsung SSD) right now with me, but I'll run the test after and I'll share the results.

:) :) :)

komoornik
Oct 7, 2011, 11:46 AM
Program won't get you a time from hitting the power button.

Just use a stopwatch or record a video.

komoornik
Oct 7, 2011, 02:55 PM
BTW:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-7UyCpxZCs

About 2:20 the computer starts and it takes quite a bit time too.

Riker88
Oct 7, 2011, 05:56 PM

I find that I get battery drain of about 10-20% per day whilst in sleep mode with my 2011 MBA 11". This is the case with Lion and Win 7. Couple that with the short battery life of the 11inch, it becomes signficant, hence, the reason to shut down for me. It wouldn't be an issue if Windows start up was less than 30 secs as on my other machines.

And yes, my MBA Lion is fully updated.

vitzr
Oct 7, 2011, 06:04 PM
For what it's worth, Windows 7 boot time for my Windows laptop (a lenovo) with OCZ Vertex2 SSD is just around 60 seconds.

My Lenovo ThinkPad T520 with a Vertex SSD running Windows 7 boots to the desktop in 14 seconds.

My 15" MBP with the OEM SSD running 10.6.5 boots to the desktop in 12 seconds. Both are excellent laptops.

Mayo7
Oct 7, 2011, 06:58 PM
My Lenovo ThinkPad T520 with a Vertex SSD running Windows 7 boots to the desktop in 14 seconds.

My 15" MBP with the OEM SSD running 10.6.5 boots to the desktop in 12 seconds. Both are excellent laptops.

wow those are incredibly fast times, considering it takes 10 seconds for my lenovo to POST.

komoornik
Oct 8, 2011, 03:48 AM
Nice we're comparing multiple devices boot times, but we might have a serious problem here.

Previous gen of MBA was starting quicker for sure.

And it would be problem of Apple anyway - other devices with Intel HD 3000 start a lot quicker.

Intel rep said Apple is out of support on their site :eek: - nice, remembering how they're thanking each other on every conference.

I don't know - I'll try to find some older drivers.

If that doesn't work, I might try to reinstall Win 7 again and install the graphics drivers in the first place - to make sure drivers is not conflicted with anything else.

BTW - is there anything I can do besides apple communities, to contact them electronically ? I know calling support won't really help, and we don't have Genius Bar's here in Poland.

BTW 2 - everyone with the issue please submit here, to make the problem visible:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3361999

komoornik
Oct 9, 2011, 12:52 PM
Nobody cares, huh?

Serpantes
Oct 10, 2011, 05:25 AM
It also means TRIM doesn't work right in Windows 7.

What's true about that?
I use W7 only, so what is the risk if it is true?

komoornik
Oct 10, 2011, 12:11 PM
I wouldn't confirm not having AHCI means not having TRIM.

And actually AHCI most of the time makes the boot time slower.

I'm pretty much happy with the disk speed at windows - 225/225 MB/s for me.

Please post here to make the problem visible:

2IS
Oct 10, 2011, 09:00 PM
I wouldn't confirm not having AHCI means not having TRIM.

And actually AHCI most of the time makes the boot time slower.

I'm pretty much happy with the disk speed at windows - 225/225 MB/s for me.

Please post here to make the problem visible:

I'm pretty sure SSD needs to be connected to an AHCI enabled controller for TRIM to work. Garbage collection will still work as that's hardware controlled by the SSD itself which may be good enough for drives like Intel which have very good garbage collection, but many drives aren't so blessed and TRIM is necessary to maintain consistent performance, particularly during heavy use.

Serpantes
Oct 11, 2011, 12:31 AM
I googled a little bit, and it seems that TRIM doesn't require AHCI to work, so it work under IDE too.
For example> http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?63521-TRIM-in-W7-AHCI
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1475177
And so on..
So someone who can argument this?

Serpantes
Oct 11, 2011, 01:27 PM
I downloaded HWinfo program, and it say that TRIM: Supported (green)

So case solved, no reason to return to OS X ;)

komoornik
Oct 11, 2011, 03:09 PM
Gz, but is the MBA booting same time as mine?

Come on, is it that hard to just post there you got the same issue?

I want to make it visible, else they will not do a thing.

johnhurley
Oct 11, 2011, 03:17 PM

Am I the only one?

P.S. I'm using i5 4/128 11.6" Air.

I have a late 2011 MBA 13 now running 10.7.2 with 256 gb samsung SSD.

My boot time into win 7 pro is about the same ( something like 40/45 secs ).

My boot time into os x is more like 13 or 15 secs or so.

johnhurley
Oct 11, 2011, 03:37 PM
I have a late 2011 MBA 13 now running 10.7.2 with 256 gb samsung SSD.

My boot time into win 7 pro is about the same ( something like 40/45 secs ).

My boot time into os x is more like 13 or 15 secs or so.

Well actually timed it this last time and it was more like 60 seconds ... I just see a white screen for a long time and the windows startup black screen with swirling middle does not come on until about 35 seconds into it.

Serpantes
Oct 12, 2011, 01:15 AM
ok komoornik, I supported you, hope it helps

Serpantes
Nov 2, 2011, 03:40 AM
No change after EFI 2.2 update? Anyone tried?