Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PalacePlayers

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
So I was watching the keynote, and as many of you I couldn't wait for october 12th, and I went for the iOS 5 GM. I have an iPad 2, iPhone 4 and iMac 27".

To get it I had to download the iOS 5 GM (obviously), iTunes 10.7 beta 9 and Mac OS X 10.7.2 beta (11C73) for iCloud to work properly with my Mac. I also downloaded the iWork for iOS beta 4 to make iCloud work with those apps.

So loads of beta-stuff in here for a guy who is NOT an Apple Developer.

My question is, since I'm not a developer, and these beta versions are download through megaupload and such, will my software still get updated automatically? I meam, will I recieve a message that Mac OS X 10.7.2 is ready from software update? Will my iTunes be updated when the official version is out next week?

And since I installed the iWork for iOS via megaupload and then drag and drop to iTunes then sync iOS devices, will they be upgraded? I actually didn't even pay for Numbers since I didn't have a older version from earlier. The horror scenario would be me losing all my valuable documents in a attempt to get out of my BETA versions.

So, bottom line is: am I still a part of Apples automatic software upgrade programme even though I am using a lot of BETAs and I'm not a developer. Especially worried about iWork for iOS since I have so many documents there.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
So I was watching the keynote, and as many of you I couldn't wait for october 12th, and I went for the iOS 5 GM. I have an iPad 2, iPhone 4 and iMac 27".

To get it I had to download the iOS 5 GM (obviously), iTunes 10.7 beta 9 and Mac OS X 10.7.2 beta (11C73) for iCloud to work properly with my Mac. I also downloaded the iWork for iOS beta 4 to make iCloud work with those apps.

So loads of beta-stuff in here for a guy who is NOT an Apple Developer.

My question is, since I'm not a developer, and these beta versions are download through megaupload and such, will my software still get updated automatically? I meam, will I recieve a message that Mac OS X 10.7.2 is ready from software update? Will my iTunes be updated when the official version is out next week?

And since I installed the iWork for iOS via megaupload and then drag and drop to iTunes then sync iOS devices, will they be upgraded? I actually didn't even pay for Numbers since I didn't have a older version from earlier. The horror scenario would be me losing all my valuable documents in a attempt to get out of my BETA versions.

So, bottom line is: am I still a part of Apples automatic software upgrade programme even though I am using a lot of BETAs and I'm not a developer. Especially worried about iWork for iOS since I have so many documents there.

Umm, I'd be worried. Especially with Numbers.

I would never install OSX Beta's but that's just me. So I'm not sure if it would prompt an update but I would imagine so.

As for iTunes, that you can just re-download if it doesn't show up in Software Update.

PalacePlayers

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
Umm, I'd be worried. Especially with Numbers.

I would never install OSX Beta's but that's just me. So I'm not sure if it would prompt an update but I would imagine so.

As for iTunes, that you can just re-download if it doesn't show up in Software Update.

I see. Guess it's time to backup my Pages-files to my old iDisc then. Just to be on the safe side. How ironic.

PalacePlayers

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
Today I learned that if I go into the Purchased section of App Store, the iWork iOS apps appears as downloadable even though I have them on my iDevices. The other apps appears as installed if they are on my device. So when I pressed the download button, it downloaded the official version, without iCloud support, and overlayed the BETA. Luckily no document was lost during the process. So I guess all I have to do is to repeat this process on october 12th. (I installed the BETA versions back on again through iTunes)

Ashwood11

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2010
US
It would seem logical, as a non-developer, to just wait for the software to be officially released like the majority of us do.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.