Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RichardLynch

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
Evening,
So this evening I wanted to install ios5 GM onto my iPad but didnt go as planned. So I wanted to downgrade back down to iTunes 10.4. I deleted 10.5 and tried to install 10.4 but I get the error:

'The file "iTunes Library.itl" cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes. Would you like to download iTunes now?'

And no matter if I download 10.4 again, I still get this error message. Now what? Any help please!

Last edited:

spblat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
You may be stuck until iTunes is officially released. You might try uninstalling iTunes at the risk of having to rebuild your iTunes library. And you might lose personal data.

It's possible that the new iTunes irrevocably alters the format and structure of its databases and configuration files. Apple is not known for being friendly to downgrades, so unless you start over, you may be at the wrong end of a one way street.

Perhaps someone else can offer sunnier news.

RichardLynch

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
Its fine, I worked it out:

Close itunes
Open Terminal
Paste this string:
Code:
sudo rm -fdr /Applications/iTunes.app

Download+Install iTunes 10.4 and you should be on your way.
If you get an error follow these steps:

Go to ~/Music/iTunes
You will need to rename iTunes Library.itl to iTunes Library.bak

Go into the "Previous iTunes Libraries" folder where you will find several files with dates in their names. The most recent one will have the .itl extension, but the others don't. Copy that to the parent folder ~/Music/iTunes/ and rename it iTunes Library.itl

crocky

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2011
Melbourne, Aus
Its fine, I worked it out:

Close itunes
Open Terminal
Paste this string:
Code:
sudo rm -fdr /Applications/iTunes.app

Download+Install iTunes 10.4 and you should be on your way.
If you get an error follow these steps:

Go to ~/Music/iTunes
You will need to rename iTunes Library.itl to iTunes Library.bak

Go into the "Previous iTunes Libraries" folder where you will find several files with dates in their names. The most recent one will have the .itl extension, but the others don't. Copy that to the parent folder ~/Music/iTunes/ and rename it iTunes Library.itl

Works well, thanks :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.