PDA

View Full Version : Lenovo or MBA

hemorrage
Oct 6, 2011, 08:52 AM
Hi guys im new to this forum but im a huge apple fan; unfortunately i am also a college student and therefore money is a big problem =_=.

I really want to buy an 11" MBA but i dont know if its a big upgrade compared to the cheaper and just as portable lenovo x120e. I know they don't really compare cause apple > lenovo but since the lenovo is more affordable ($~440); is there any place i can buy a cheaper MBA? I don't mind if its the older version (2010) either. Help please!

Rob.G
Oct 6, 2011, 09:01 AM
Craigslist is your friend. Depending on which specific version of the 2010 you want, you can probably find one in the $500-900 range.

Yeah they're more expensive, but so vastly superior to Windows. I'm so done with windows that I'm buying my wife a 13" MBP soon, once I find a deal on a 2011 model on Craigslist. I hate having to support Windows, because it's always having issues.

So while Lenovo the hardware may be very nice, you're still trying to run a POS operating system on it. And Linux still isn't quite ready for primetime (though Ubuntu's getting close).

Rob

preisslers
Oct 6, 2011, 09:04 AM
I just bought a 2010 MBA base model + over $100 in accessories. I paid $550 for the whole lot including a $120 Tom Bihn bag, external CD drive and external SD card reader.

hemorrage
Oct 6, 2011, 09:05 AM
Craigslist is your friend. Depending on which specific version of the 2010 you want, you can probably find one in the $500-900 range.

Yeah they're more expensive, but so vastly superior to Windows. I'm so done with windows that I'm buying my wife a 13" MBP soon, once I find a deal on a 2011 model on Craigslist. I hate having to support Windows, because it's always having issues.

So while Lenovo the hardware may be very nice, you're still trying to run a POS operating system on it. And Linux still isn't quite ready for primetime (though Ubuntu's getting close).

Rob

ive never bought anything off craigslist... how do i know if a machine is stable/working before i buy? also i have an ipad 1 3g/64 gb that i don't really use.. where could i sell it?

----------

I just bought a 2010 MBA base model + over $100 in accessories. I paid $550 for the whole lot including a $120 Tom Bihn bag, external CD drive and external SD card reader.

whoa where??

nebulos
Oct 6, 2011, 03:12 PM
apple > lenovo ?

... anyways, you can pick up a refurbished 2010 MBA for $699 plus tax through Apple. that'll be 'like new' and will come with a full year warranty.

you can save some $$$ by going through craigslist, but obviously, that involves some risk. the plus side is, if that person bought their MBA in, say, January 2011, the computer will be covered under warranty, even after its sold, through January 2012. of course, warranty doesn't cover everything, so you still want to make sure the comp is in good working condition, to the extent possible.

the processors in both the 2010 11" MBA and the Lenovo 120e aren't great, but for basic stuff should be fine. the MBA has an SSD which will make certain things, like booting, fast.

my sister has the 120e through work and says its a little slow.

Consultant
Oct 6, 2011, 04:08 PM
Buy Refurb 2010 SSD MacBook Air starts at $699 (that model not available right now)

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

Looks new, has same warranty as new. There is no contest. Lenovo is nowhere close to MacBook Air.

XX55XX
Oct 6, 2011, 04:37 PM
If you are thinking about a Thinkpad, I would recommend a T420s or a X220. They are reasonably light (both are under four pounds), and the T420s has a discrete graphics option.

If you are intent on getting a Mac, the 2010 Airs are not a bad buy either.

outZider
Oct 6, 2011, 04:49 PM
I always have a hard time choosing Lenovo vs Apple, Lenovo makes some good hardware. Just remember to get a ThinkPad, not a lower end Lenovo product.

Also remember that the MBA now has a higher resolution than the TP competitor, the X1.

Good luck with your decision. :)

summitRun
Oct 6, 2011, 07:00 PM
If you are thinking about a Thinkpad, I would recommend a T420s or a X220. They are reasonably light (both are under four pounds), and the T420s has a discrete graphics option.

If you are intent on getting a Mac, the 2010 Airs are not a bad buy either.

Or you could look at a happy medium like the E220s (http://shop.lenovo.com/us/laptops/thinkpad/edge-series/e220s). Very similar spec (12.5"/1366x768; i5; 320 HDD) on sale for $569. Thats the cheapest I have seen them and its much nicer that the x120e but not quite as tight as the x220. If it werent for Amazon's earlier 20% off promo blunder...err generosity ;) this what I would be stuck with:rolleyes: The only downside is that it doesnt have the classic THinkPad keyboard...though the Edge keyboard seems to be well liked too.

calvol
Oct 6, 2011, 08:19 PM
If you're just using Office apps, just go for the x120, unless you need the 2010 13" Air's resolution (1440x900), battery life (8 hours), or light-weight (2.9lbs).

kulimer
Oct 6, 2011, 11:06 PM
great question, but you are asking in a Mac forum. Will anyone tell you not to buy a MacBook Air?

TheSideshow
Oct 6, 2011, 11:10 PM

Rob

OS X isn't vastly superior to Windows. In fact I would say Windows is superior to OS X personally. OS X's benefit is that it has nice integration with Mac hardware.

ThomasBoss
Oct 6, 2011, 11:25 PM
Lenovo (especially their thinkpads) are known for their great quality, my mum still uses an old t42 and it works fine except for a really loud fan. If you would rather spend less & still get excellent quality, the lenovo is your best choice.

On the other hand, MacBook Air is very portable which would be useful during college but of course yes is more expensive. If you really want one, you could check the apple refurbished store or craigslist/ebay but I wouldn't really trust people from there...besides that, nothing much.

hemorrage
Oct 7, 2011, 04:58 AM
Buy Refurb 2010 SSD MacBook Air starts at $699 (that model not available right now)

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

Looks new, has same warranty as new. There is no contest. Lenovo is nowhere close to MacBook Air.

thanks for the link i will definitely considering getting a refurb

----------

Or you could look at a happy medium like the E220s (http://shop.lenovo.com/us/laptops/thinkpad/edge-series/e220s). Very similar spec (12.5"/1366x768; i5; 320 HDD) on sale for $569. Thats the cheapest I have seen them and its much nicer that the x120e but not quite as tight as the x220. If it werent for Amazon's earlier 20% off promo blunder...err generosity ;) this what I would be stuck with:rolleyes: The only downside is that it doesnt have the classic THinkPad keyboard...though the Edge keyboard seems to be well liked too.

this is actually a really nice computer! i love the design and the feel of it; however the one thing that turns me off is windows 7.. it just looks clunky and ugly compared to mac osx. Is this really the case?

XX55XX
Oct 7, 2011, 08:16 AM

Lenovo's other computers are junk. I would recommend only the Thinkpad line, either the T, W, or X series, chiefly for their build quality.

And it's not necessarily difficult to get them running as Hackintoshes either.

But if weight is a true concern, I would definitely pick up a MacBook Air from last year.

hemorrage
Oct 7, 2011, 08:43 AM
Lenovo's other computers are junk. I would recommend only the Thinkpad line, either the T, W, or X series, chiefly for their build quality.

And it's not necessarily difficult to get them running as Hackintoshes either.

But if weight is a true concern, I would definitely pick up a MacBook Air from last year.

wouldn't it be nearly impossible to get OSX running on a amd chip? i really like the x120e because of the price and decent build quality but i just am in love with apple

XX55XX
Oct 7, 2011, 08:52 AM
wouldn't it be nearly impossible to get OSX running on a amd chip? i really like the x120e because of the price and decent build quality but i just am in love with apple

Impossible. You need an Intel chip to avoid headaches. Hence why I recommend the T420s, the X1, or the X220. Out of the three, the X220 is the cheapest, but the T420s is the most versatile (and most expensive, depending on how you configure it). Both the T420s and the X1 go for over $1,000 easily.

There are many detailed guides on the Internet, but while it's relatively easy, it takes a lot more trouble-shooting and problem solving compared to installing Mac OS on a real Mac. There will some headaches along the way, but OSx86 has gone a long way in the past six years...

Honestly, there are many 2010 MacBook Airs on eBay selling for less than a grand (more like $800-$900), so go take a look at those if you are really intent on getting a Mac.

summitRun
Oct 7, 2011, 09:23 AM

The E220s is a ThinkPad...and its not junk. There are plenty of well received reviews on this unit. If the $450+ doesnt matter to you then yes go for the X series. The OP specifically stated he was looking at the 11"MBA...that takes the T and W series out of the equation

XX55XX
Oct 7, 2011, 03:07 PM
The E220s is a ThinkPad...and its not junk. There are plenty of well received reviews on this unit. If the $450+ doesnt matter to you then yes go for the X series. The OP specifically stated he was looking at the 11"MBA...that takes the T and W series out of the equation

Sure, it will work, but it the build quality is nowhere near as good as something from the T, X, or the W series. For example, it lacks the famed magnesium rollcage that most Thinkpads have.

Again, to the OP: Search eBay for one of those old MacBook Airs. That might fit the bill for you. If you are really intent on going the Hackintosh route because the Lenovo hardware is better (and quite frankly, it is), then go for a T420s, the X1, or an X220.

hemorrage
Oct 7, 2011, 05:36 PM
Sure, it will work, but it the build quality is nowhere near as good as something from the T, X, or the W series. For example, it lacks the famed magnesium rollcage that most Thinkpads have.

Again, to the OP: Search eBay for one of those old MacBook Airs. That might fit the bill for you. If you are really intent on going the Hackintosh route because the Lenovo hardware is better (and quite frankly, it is), then go for a T420s, the X1, or an X220.

ive tried looking through ebay but im not an experienced user on there so the only things i could find are like sales for brand new ones and those are all near 900 bucks, at that point why not just buy it from apple :S