Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Time Magazine has cancelled its previously scheduled print run this week in order to put together a retrospective issue on Steve Jobs. In it, Walter Isaacson -- Steve Jobs' biographer -- writes a preview of what's to come, via Fortune.
In the early summer of 2004, I got a phone call from him. He had been scattershot friendly to me over the years, with occasional bursts of intensity, especially when he was launching a new product that he wanted on the cover of Time or featured on CNN, places where I'd worked. But now that I was no longer at either of those places, I hadn't heard from him much. We talked a bit about the Aspen Institute, which I had recently joined, and I invited him to speak at our summer campus in Colorado. He'd be happy to come, he said, but not to be onstage. He wanted, instead, to take a walk so we could talk.

That seemed a bit odd. I didn't yet know that taking a long walk was his preferred way to have a serious conversation. It turned out that he wanted me to write a biography of him. I had recently published one on Benjamin Franklin and was writing one about Albert Einstein, and my initial reaction was to wonder, half jokingly, whether he saw himself as the natural successor in that sequence. Because I assumed that he was still in the middle of an oscillating career that had many more ups and downs left, I demurred. Not now, I said. Maybe in a decade or two, when you retire.

But I later realized that he had called me just before he was going to be operated on for cancer for the first time. As I watched him battle that disease, with an awesome intensity combined with an astonishing emotional romanticism, I came to find him deeply compelling, and I realized how much his personality was ingrained in the products he created. His passions, demons, desires, artistry, devilry and obsession for control were integrally connected to his approach to business, so I decided to try to write his tale as a case study in creativity.
The release date of the book has been moved up twice, and is now October 24th. After Jobs resigned as CEO in August, he knew the end was near. The WSJ reports that Isaacson's last interview was roughly four weeks ago, and "Jobs indicated at that time that he knew he was going to die soon."

9to5Mac has another touching excerpt from Isaacson's Time Magazine essay, which will hit newsstands tomorrow, that reiterates the love Steve Jobs had for his family, especially his children:
A few weeks ago, I visited Jobs for the last time in his Palo Alto, Calif., home. He had moved to a downstairs bedroom because he was too weak to go up and down stairs. He was curled up in some pain, but his mind was still sharp and his humor vibrant. We talked about his childhood, and he gave me some pictures of his father and family to use in my biography. As a writer, I was used to being detached, but I was hit by a wave of sadness as I tried to say goodbye. In order to mask my emotion, I asked the one question that was still puzzling me: Why had he been so eager, during close to 50 interviews and conversations over the course of two years, to open up so much for a book when he was usually so private? "I wanted my kids to know me," he said. "I wasn't always there for them, and I wanted them to know why and to understand what I did."
Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson will be released on October 24th. It is available via preorder from Amazon/Kindle, the iBookstore, and elsewhere.

Article Link: Isaacson Shares a Touching Preview of the Steve Jobs Biography

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Can't imagine if the release date was still March 2012 or whatever.

Sounds like an amazing read... glad I preordered months ago.

elhungarian

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Might be first issue of time I get.

Book will be a must read also.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
Sad...

I am sad that he has passed away. He was a great, inspiring visionary.

I am further saddened to read that he, in part, wanted to do the book in order for his children to get to know him, to get to know a person in a way that all of us who read this book will get to know. By this I mean that we will know him almost just as well as they know him, if what he says is true.

My wife and I had a son a several months ago and I can only hope that he will get to know me better than anyone else in this world that I do not already call family.

jtp098

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Purchase
The toll that cancer takes is just unbelievable. My uncle just passed from cancer and I was there helping as much as I could. But when you see someone in that condition especially a family member it hits you so hard. I pre-ordered the bio of course and will pick up the mag tomorrow. But just reading this brings such strong emotions back to me about my family and to think how they must feel right now

I hope they donate a percentage of sales to cancer funds

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Like I said yesterday. This man is the epitomy of class.

"I wanted my kids to know me," he said. "I wasn't always there for them, and I wanted them to know why and to understand what I did."

ZeroCoolZ

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2011
I'll get the book but I'm hoping it will still be good even though they rushed its publication...

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
Usually the diagnosis of pancreatic cancer is a death sentence. Steve still introduced the iPhone and iPad after this diagnosis.

Simply Amazing.

TigerWoodsIV

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
I just pre-ordered the book today. I was unsure whether I wanted to buy it or not, but his passing just made me realize I needed to read it. I haven't read a book in forever, but I can't wait for this to be released. Those brief excerpts make it even more compelling.

Wildog27

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2008
The last line about him wanting his kids to know him is simultaneously touching and disturbing. I'm torn because I know how important I found him and the products that he helped design and bring to market, but is all of that really worth it if he felt like he needed a biography to help his kids know him? I'm not sure.

TigerWoodsIV

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
I'll get the book but I'm hoping it will still be good even though they rushed its publication...

He's been compiling information, conducting interviews, etc. for years. It was only bumped up from November. I'm sure it'll be fantastic and I doubt the writer would put out something he was unhappy with or that didn't convey Steve to his satisfaction only a few weeks after his death.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Why had he been so eager, during close to 50 interviews and conversations over the course of two years, to open up so much for a book when he was usually so private? "I wanted my kids to know me," he said. "I wasn't always there for them, and I wanted them to know why and to understand what I did."

It's because of that attitude that I have such incredibly high hopes for this biography. The fact that Steve was essentially opening up like a father to his children, and then making that available to the world, is making it a must-read for me.

Coming from someone who hasn't read a book in over 3 years...

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
That's some powerful stuff right there.

Never been so excited to read a book and I hate reading books.

Saladbowl

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2010
wow, that part about his kids - I get that so well... I'd do the same..
I dont think he died a sad man. He had his things in order and knew about his legacy and impact. He made himself immortal... he will be a part of the world's history that children will learn of in decades from now. I feel sad, but thats an egoistic feeling. I dont think we have to feel sad for Steve. He suqeezed more out of that one lifetime than I would fit into 4 probably... so, he had a great life, did what he loved, had a family he loved and was admired by many...

polee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
I am deeply saddened by Steve Jobs' death although I never knew him personally...

TigerWoodsIV

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
The last line about him wanting his kids to know him is simultaneously touching and disturbing. I'm torn because I know how important I found him and the products that he helped design and bring to market, but is all of that really worth it if he felt like he needed a biography to help his kids know him? I'm not sure.

I feel like a lot of people feel that their kids don't know them well enough. Work was his life, but I'm sure he also thought he would have another 20+ years prior to his cancer diagnosis. I'm sure he tried to do his best.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
It's going to be a hell of a read, I'm sure. I've already order it and can't wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.