Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

10-Dee-Q

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
hi, i'm buying ipod nano to be used generally for watch only, as i have the classic, and iphone.
i have a few question though and i hope that someone can answer me or at least direct me to a thread or web that have discussed about this before.

- what the difference between the 2010 and 2011 nano ?
- if i use for watch only, how long the battery will last ?
- what brand of bracelet is the best one outthere ? i prefer bussiness man style not those fancy one.
- is the screen scratch ressistant ? or i better off putting a screen protector ?

so far thats my questions, of maybe you can give me inputs on using the nano as a watch, is it recommended or not.

and i guess i better off buying the 8 GB for my needs or 16 GB ?

thank you.

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
hi, i'm buying ipod nano to be used generally for watch only, as i have the classic, and iphone.
i have a few question though and i hope that someone can answer me or at least direct me to a thread or web that have discussed about this before.

1- what the difference between the 2010 and 2011 nano ?
2- if i use for watch only, how long the battery will last ?
3- what brand of bracelet is the best one outthere ? i prefer bussiness man style not those fancy one.
4- is the screen scratch ressistant ? or i better off putting a screen protector ?

so far thats my questions, of maybe you can give me inputs on using the nano as a watch, is it recommended or not.

5-and i guess i better off buying the 8 GB for my needs or 16 GB ?

thank you.
1- 2011 since it is cheaper now with the price drop.
2- not too long if it is on most of the time You might have to charge it every few days.
3 -don't know but I did see a nice stainless steel model. google it.
4 - no not especially and the glass is raised so it gets hit easily. Real watches have harder mineral glass and protective rims.
5- yes from what you said you don't need 16Gb but it sounds like you don't need it at all.
really it just sounds like you want to flash it and act cool. There are better watches for that. Plus it isn't even waterproof!!

If I see a guy flashing a Rolex I think rich and bragging. If I see a guy flashing a nano watch I think geeky and clueless.

BrennerM

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
You have to click the sleep/wake button every time you want the watch face to appear (it turns off after a minute or so and you can't change that setting!). The new watch faces are really nice but I would never buy it just to use as a watch.

ChiSportsGuy

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2011

- what the difference between the 2010 and 2011 nano ?
- if i use for watch only, how long the battery will last ?
- what brand of bracelet is the best one outthere ? i prefer bussiness man style not those fancy one.
- is the screen scratch ressistant ? or i better off putting a screen protector ?

and i guess i better off buying the 8 GB for my needs or 16 GB ?

thank you.

1. The hardware is essentially the same. The 2011 has a significantly lower price though.
2. If you use it only as a watch you will have to charge it every couple of days
3. I discussed the advantages of the band I developed here in another thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1241229/ I also included some pictures.
4. I have been wearing mine for 10 months and it doesn't have a single scratch. I wear it daily.

I am biased but I think it makes a great watch. I get compliments on it all the time and it is a great conversation piece. Hope this helps you with a decision. If you would like more information about my band, here is our website.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
You have to click the sleep/wake button every time you want the watch face to appear (it turns off after a minute or so and you can't change that setting!). The new watch faces are really nice but I would never buy it just to use as a watch.

That's no longer true, I believe stays on when you have it in watch mode now.

Any kind of magnetic flux is not good around electronic storage devices of any kind. Don't put your iPod in a magnetic case.

My understanding is that's only true for hard drives because they are magnetic as well, so the mixing of two magentas can wipe the info the have on them, but the nano uses flash, so you should be fine there.

OP, Engadget did a review of the old iPod nano as a watch, it didn't score great, but it goes over some of the pluses and minuses. I'd say its worth a read. One thing they pointed out is how you'll always have a USB disk since iPod cables are so common(or just leave one in your bag at all times), which is a good point.

I'd like Apple to put a few features to interact with their iOS devices, but at it stands now, it's a tempting watch.

Here is the link is http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/18/ipod-nano-review-as-a-watch/

Last edited by a moderator:

theone09

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2008
I just got it last night since i love the fitness feature and i am going to use it as the watch as well. There are 18 different face watches included. few are business styles, few are fancy styles. I am going to change it to business styles on weekday, and fancy styles on weekend. :)

There is no hardware change in it, only the software changed.

tx26257

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

Well I just but the new Nano but I don't believe even the new one can keep the clock on all the time. I'm 40sec goes black. No if there is a way let me know

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I just got it last night since i love the fitness feature and i am going to use it as the watch as well. There are 18 different face watches included. few are business styles, few are fancy styles. I am going to change it to business styles on weekday, and fancy styles on weekend. :)

There is no hardware change in it, only the software changed.

Does the watch stay on(and not go to sleep) if you want to set it up that way?

tx26257

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

I just got mine on Friday and watch will not stay on.... Wish it would

theone09

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2008
Does the watch stay on(and not go to sleep) if you want to set it up that way?
in fact, if you don't touch the screen for a while, it's kinda dim the screen and then it sleeps. You can press the lock button to make it sleep.. To wake it up, press the wake/sleep button again whenever you want to check the time. :)

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
I was thinking of doing this... thought I'd peruse the iPod subforum to see if there were any threads on it and voila!

I was planning on doing an 8GB silver with the HEX Vision Metal Watchband:
H5111

I have a silver Coach watch that I got as a present, but it's gotten fairly beat up in the last 2+ years. I also have a black and gold Bulova watch, but it's too nice to wear out casually.

So I was thinking of getting this little setup, because 1) I think it looks nice, 2) it's fairly multifunctional, 3) Using it while I run would be a lot easier than holding my iPhone while I run.

Not sure if I wanna drop almost $200 for the whole setup though =\

#FirstWorldProblems, eh?

*EDIT, anyone know a similar band that might be cheaper? I was thinking of just snagging a 6th gen silver off of Ebay for ~$100

10-Dee-Q

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
hi, just wondering, can the "pedometer" be used as daily thing ?
i mean for keeping track of how many steps we walked today or something. not in the GYM but daily routines.
and i wonder is that accurate if we wore it on the wrist ?
and how long the battery will last ?

kellyiphone

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
That's no longer true, I believe stays on when you have it in watch mode now.

Can anyone confirm if this is the case? There's no option to make the clock stay on all the time?

Does the stopwatch/timer also go to sleep (and keep counting), or can you leave it displaying on the screen for however long the stopwatch/timer is counting?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
hi, just wondering, can the "pedometer" be used as daily thing ?
i mean for keeping track of how many steps we walked today or something. not in the GYM but daily routines.
and i wonder is that accurate if we wore it on the wrist ?
and how long the battery will last ?

I've been using the nano as a daily pedometer. It works much better than the crappy mechanical pedometer that I had been using before I got the nano. I can tell you that it's very accurate in counting. I used to get about 300 extra steps from my daily commute, but the nano doesn't pick up many false steps.

The nano is also very useful for the gym. You can use the running feature even on a treadmill. Some cardio machines are also compatible. Everything gets routed to the Nike+ website if you want.

As for the accuracy when worn as a watch, I'd probably say that it wouldn't work well. The manual says to put it on your waist for best performance.

ft

Can anyone confirm if this is the case? There's no option to make the clock stay on all the time?

Does the stopwatch/timer also go to sleep (and keep counting), or can you leave it displaying on the screen for however long the stopwatch/timer is counting?

Just tested this. Doesn't work. There's no setting for preventing the nano from going to sleep. There is, however, a setting that makes the nano wake up to the Clock screen, rather than the Now Playing screen. But you still have to press the Wake button to activate the screen.

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
The display goes to sleep even if the timer or stopwatch is running. However, the timer/stopwatch does continue even after the display sleeps.

For a leather watch band - I thought this one was pretty sharp looking:

http://www.iwatchz.com/collections/timepiece-collection/products/timepiece-collection-light-brown

Amazon has them (sold and ships by Amazon). The dark brown color is $20 less than the other colors, so I got that one.

Attachments

• light-brown-round-half.jpg
    light-brown-round-half.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:

chocolaterabbit

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2008
I would strongly suggest against using it as a watch. I had a 2010 nano and used it as a watch for a few days.

The main problems were:

- Doesn't stay on. Usually when I need to check my watch my hands were busy and I cannot press the wake button, and thus it's actually faster for me to look at the wall clock.

- Battery life was pretty bad, if you listen to the ipod or radio for a few hours battery won't even last a day. Even when it's just on standby it only lasted around 3 days for me.

I suggest you buy a normal watch.

barca10

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Orlando, FL
Loving Mine

Silver Nano 8GB
Tik Tok Black

Attachments

• IMG_0381.jpg
    IMG_0381.jpg
    603.1 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_0382.jpg
    IMG_0382.jpg
    560.6 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0385.jpg
    IMG_0385.jpg
    665.2 KB · Views: 158

Headshead0232

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2011
Hi all, I saw this thread and had to reply. As soon as I as I saw the Nano as a watch I was hooked! It's a fantastic bit of kit. I had a proper watch (Brietling M1 Avenger) and it didn't do that much for me so I sold it to my dad... Let's just say it clashed with my Volcom Hoodie. Lol. At the last count he had 18 normal watches... But he also hasn't seen my nano watch!! So as far as the 'sleep' problem goes, it takes me longer to get my phone out of my pocket! I have tunes on it as well and love the radio. But as a watch it's gorgeous and I love it!! I must admit I do fancy the wireless Bluetooth ear phones for in the gym though. :)

Each to their own I guess..

Shadyriley

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009
As an iPod nano owner, I have to say the battery life is pretty food actually. However if you are listening to the radio, wow the battery drains incredibly fast. The nano also charges very quickly, I keep a battery backup 30 pin connector I got from Brookstone in my backpack, so I'm never without a charge. It also makes a great fashion peiice clipped on to your right or left front pocket all the way to the side. As far as wearing it as a watch goes, well it's annoying if you want to listen to music because you have to plug it into the watch, I usually have a backpack so every time at take it off I have to unplug.

8 gb is more than enough for me, I have maybe 7 albums in there, 100 photos and a couple voice memos and I still have 7.3 gbs of space left.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.