Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quixotic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2003
San Francisco, CA
I had a HD crash followed by time-machine woes. I did a clean install of 10.6, but now I have PDF's (not iBook purchases) on my iPad that I want to put back into iTunes. These are PDF's that don't exist anywhere else except on my iPad.

I have everything else synced, my iTunes is authorized etc. The only problem is that iTunes does not see any of the PDF's on my iPad. I cannot find a way to get them into iTunes. When I try to sync books I get a warning "All existing books on the iPad “***” will be replaced with books from your iTunes library".

Other than emailing myself tons of PDF's is there any solution to this? This is where not having some kind of accessible file system on the iPad is very frustrating.

Ashwood11

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2010
US
in iBooks...

Go into iTunes on your computer and select your iPad and then the Books tab. Under Sync Books select "Selected books" and then select "Books and PDF files" or "Only PDF files." You should be presented with the PDF's your looking for.

quixotic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Tried that. Everything is grayed out, I can only check "Sync Books", and the second I do, I get that "...will be replaced..." warning, and the area that shows "Books and PDF Files" is empty... I can see all the titles in iTunes under my iPad though, wish I could just drag them to the iTunes Library.

Thank you for your help by the way, it's much appreciated!

Ashwood11

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2010
US
Tried that. Everything is grayed out, I can only check "Sync Books", and the second I do, I get that "...will be replaced..." warning, and the area that shows "Books and PDF Files" is empty... I can see all the titles in iTunes under my iPad though, wish I could just drag them to the iTunes Library.

Thank you for your help by the way, it's much appreciated!

No problem. Maybe someone else has the answer. I have always struggled with using iTunes and the iPad. It just doesn't seem very clear at times. Sometimes it is very unclear as to which direction the files are moving.

I miss the good old days when we got a printed users manual instead of the online documentation.

If all else fails, you could delete the backup file in iTunes and create a new backup…?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.