Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wiseguy27

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
USA
[This is to gather information about what I might want to or have to buy when I get a new Power Mac. Usage will be in a non-pro-but-higher-end-user environment]

What applications (not bundled with a Power Mac) are considered "essential"? Like for example, Office, Final Cut (for video), Photoshop, Toast (?)... - what are the alternatives and how do they compare?

What are the "additional apps" you use that you have to have and why?

Thanks! :)

mcarnes

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2004
USA! USA!
It largely depends on what you do and like. Some shareware and freeware apps I use are:

iController
iSnip
MoofMenu
MacTheRipper
DVD2oneX
Matinee (version 1.3, all later versions suck)
MacStumbler
MacJanitor
Mr. Tides X
ImageBrowser
File Juicer
DeepVacuum
Firefox (when safari won't work right with a web form, firefox usually does)
Safari Bookmark Exporter (for putting safari bookmarks into firefox)
Pastor
Hog Bay Notebook
MacOSaiX (version 1.0, beware of later versions)
RandomExtra

You can find all these at http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx/

wiseguy27

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
USA
"pro" apps?

Thanks all! I'm going to copy the entire list of apps so I can check them out later! :)

What about the "pro" apps for video/photography/audio etc.? Which ones do you use and why? alternatives?

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
There is no alternative to Photoshop. Not if you're a pro... it doesn't need any explanation.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
Of course Photoshop. I couldn't live without it. If you do alot of digital photo processing, I think its important to have a good noise reduction plugin. I use Neat Image. Of all the trials i tested, it worked the best for me.

deelerious

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2005
Financial:
Quicken 2005

Digital Media:
iLife '05
VLC
JHymn

Internet:
Adium X
Transmit
Saft

Photography:
Adobe Photoshop
Art Directors Toolkit
Polaroid Dust&Scratch
Vuescan Professional

Productivity:
Microsoft Office 2004
iWork
Notebook

Security:
Little Snitch

Utilities:
BBEdit
CDFinder
Chicken of the VNC
DropDMG
Roxio Toast
ToastMount
StuffIt Standard
MenuCalendarClock iCal
FileBuddy

Cross-Platform:
VirtualPC

Sca1pel

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2005
Maybe I read this wrong

Maybe I read this wrong, but WHY would you want to load up programs on your computer if you have no use for them. You made it seem like you just wanted to make your computer look important instead of actualy putting it to use. I admit my desktop would look good with the adobe creative suit full office x flash pro ect. But I ONLY HAVE WHAT I NEED!!! If you have to ask yourself if you need it ya dont.

Sca1pel

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2005
wiseguy27 said:
What about the "pro" apps for video/photography/audio etc.? Which ones do you use and why? alternatives?

We use them because we are PRO's?

wiseguy27

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
USA
cool!

Thanks a lot, all! That's a nice long list. I hope others add their favorites too. :)

I have just started looking at some of them on the web to see what they're about (quicksilver looks gr8).

wiseguy27

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
USA
Knowing doesn't hurt (in this case)

Sca1pel said:
Maybe I read this wrong, but WHY would you want to load up programs on your computer if you have no use for them. You made it seem like you just wanted to make your computer look important instead of actualy putting it to use. I admit my desktop would look good with the adobe creative suit full office x flash pro ect. But I ONLY HAVE WHAT I NEED!!! If you have to ask yourself if you need it ya dont.

[EDIT]
I was looking at the forum in linear mode and didn't see which post your reply was directed to - in threaded mode I see that it's not directed to me. So I'm moving my previous post WAY DOWN. :D Maybe I should delete this post...

----- previous post (to avoid confusing people) -----
I'm not sure if this is directed towards me - if it's not, please ignore the rest of this post.

The reason I asked about applications on the Mac is because I have no clue about the names of applications and what they do (except for the Apple apps like iTunes, iMovie, iPhoto, iDVD, Keynote, GarageBand etc.). And it really helps to know about ALL kinds of applications on a platform that I'm planning to move to (and have no experience using). Like for example, a new Mac user may not even know about quicksilver - but those who use it know that it's a very good application that makes things more convenient. Similarly, there are other applications that media professionals and advanced users (the ones I referred to as "pro") like and use. And I'm interested in getting more information and opinions from others so that I have a broader list of things to check out and make my computing experience better.

As you said, my intention is not to load the computer with all kinds of apps that are not used (I consider that "junk") - far from that! It is to know what's out there and what it can accomplish for me. And knowing doesn't hurt in this case. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.