PDA

View Full Version : Is Air capable of Pro?

dimi94941
Oct 6, 2011, 08:41 PM
I have a MacBook Pro 2010 i7... I love it but I ABSOLUTELY love the new Air, it's so thin and sleek... I can't forget about it lol. :) So, I was wondering, if you recommend me changing from Pro to Air? I heard it's fast but is it capable what MacBook Pro is capable of? Will MBP be as fast as Air if I upgrade my HDD to SDD? And can you upgrade the memory RAM and space in the Air without Apple's overcharging, kinda like Crucial or something?

Lock
Oct 6, 2011, 08:49 PM
Your MBP is faster than the Air. Barefeats is a good source of benchmarks: http://www.barefeats.com/mba11_04.html (Edit: wrong benchmarks! Sorry! Also, it's CPU isn't that much faster, but it can handle more RAM and has a discrete GPU - maybe "more powerful" is a better term).

You can upgrade the SSD in the Air, but they are very expensive right now. You can't upgrade the RAM. I would buy a SSD for your MBP. That would make it a snappy-feeling powerhouse.

jamesr19
Oct 7, 2011, 06:07 PM
If you want something portable, powerful and not really for gaming then the MBA is fantastic! It's faster than most of the 2010 MBPs and if you don't use much ram then MBA is a great buy! If you want gaming maybe stick with your Pro for the gfx card. The MBA has a fantastic screen (personally i think better than the pros). It has the same resolution as the standard MBP 15" so you'll have the same screen real-estate in a fraction of the size!!

DieterRams
Oct 8, 2011, 04:37 PM
I've read that it's faster than the 2010 MBP, so it's a move up but still not as much as compared to getting a 2011 MBP. Plus, it's only 4GB RAM while the MBP has 8GB. Although I would LOVE the extra RAM, what swayed me was the physical form factor. I found the weight and heft of the MBP to be too cumbersome for my liking and the performance is still very good, especially with an SSD which makes things speedier too. You can't upgrade RAM later so definitely buy the max from the start if you know you'll need it.

poobear
Oct 8, 2011, 05:03 PM
4 GB is enough for almost everyone. The processor of the 2011 Air as well. And you get a SSD and a nicer form factor for no extra cost.

orfeas0
Oct 8, 2011, 05:16 PM
I have a MacBook Pro 2010 i7... I love it but I ABSOLUTELY love the new Air, it's so thin and sleek... I can't forget about it lol. :) So, I was wondering, if you recommend me changing from Pro to Air? I heard it's fast but is it capable what MacBook Pro is capable of? Will MBP be as fast as Air if I upgrade my HDD to SDD? And can you upgrade the memory RAM and space in the Air without Apple's overcharging, kinda like Crucial or something?

If you need a simple answer, here it is:
If you don't care about portability, just buy an SSD for your pro. It will be a lot faster than the air in every aspect, AND has a bigger screen.

If you carry it every day (without a car) then you should probably get the air.