Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

green94

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
Has anyone purchased this case? Browsing iLounge yesterday for recommendations and came across this case which received an A- and a Highly recommend from their staff.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/choiix-wake-up-folio-for-ipad-2/

From the pictures it looks like they took the Smart Cover approach on the front and a hard plastic/eco-leather for the back. Nearly full coverage of the iPad.

For $40 it looks like a steal but was hoping someone here has a review as well..

beamer8912

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2009
I'm looking at this case as well. It's almost impossible to find. The only place I found was the cooler master website. I was really hoping it'd be on amazon.

If anyone has/receives this case, please post a review!

green94

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
I'm looking at this case as well. It's almost impossible to find. The only place I found was the cooler master website. I was really hoping it'd be on amazon.

If anyone has/receives this case, please post a review!

I actually ended up writing Choiix and they directed me to the same website based out of CA. I'm really leaning towards buying and if I do I will certainly leave a review in this thread.

carnivalj

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2009
Well, I took a look at this case today, and was really impressed! The black version is on order now. This will be replacing the Speck red case I bought at Target, which is a nice case also. I just like the black cover a bit better and looking forward to utilizing the smart cover feature. Review will follow when I receive the case.

green94

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
Well, I took a look at this case today, and was really impressed! The black version is on order now. This will be replacing the Speck red case I bought at Target, which is a nice case also. I just like the black cover a bit better and looking forward to utilizing the smart cover feature. Review will follow when I receive the case.
I think you got the last one as I went to order today and they weren't available!

Frank (Atlanta)

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2004
Ordered & received 2 black Choiix Wake Up Folios (1 to be used as a gift).

I've only had it for a day, so...

Quality: seems good. Leather seems comparable to the Apple Smart Cover. The case back is glossy - I would have preferred something less shiny, but am fine with it. Have no idea at this point how it'll hold-up over time, but the quality seems quite good. Seems to be put together well.

Thickness: it obviously adds a small amount of bulk to the iPad. I've been using my iPad "naked", so it's noticeable to me, but I don't think you could make this much slimmer.

Use: Works well. When one "stands-up" the iPad (triangle at the bottom and the iPad oriented vertically), it's much more upright than the Smart Cover arrangement. I think it'll largely be fine; however, it's nearly 90 degrees vertical and I could envision it being tipped over if it were bumped, etc.

Net-net: very pleased with it as a general cover and especially given the price.

Frank

gleib99

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2011
...I've had the wake-up folio case in gray for almost 2 months now and am very happy with the quality. The gray is starting to get a little dirty but thats probably my fault. Its true that it stands up a little more vertical than the smart cover but I've had no issues with it falling over...even after watching a few movies on a plane with it standing on the tray table.

Its a quality case for the price, offers great protection and I have no complaints!

wmagnum1

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2008
Wake Up Folio - Black

I just purchased the Wake Up Folio and debated between a grey or green polycarb cover or go with the eco-leather black. I ended up going with the black. It is a nice cover. The back case is shiny, a touch on the thick side, but it protects well. The Smart Cover side is directly attached just through the eco-leather. No hinges or anything like that. The cover itself, although the same dimensions and folds as the Apple cover, it is thinner and lighter. The magnets in the cover are located by the right-most fold for the sleep/wake function and in the middle of the cover to help close in on itself when folded.

It is a nice case and for $39, you can't beat it. It beats a Smart Cover+Back case unless you feel the need to take the cover off from time to time. As stated before, the only drawback would be the upright landscape view. It is very upright, not 90 degrees, but close. I hope this is still compatible with iPad 3 when that comes out.

DaGrandMastah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
I picked up one of these for my new iPad and can confirm it both fits and works with sleep/wake.

Really? Is it a very snug fit? I'm surprised that it does. This was the case I wanted...iemailed the company about and iPad 3 version and they never responded

pault106

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010
Essex
Yes very snug. Had a little difficulty getting the final corner to snap in but all seems fine now. I emailed Coolermaster after ordering and they told me it wouldn't fit so was pleasantly surprised and happy when it did.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.