Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DJTJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2005
I have a problem choosing. I currently own a 1.25 15" powerbook with 1 gig ram. I love it to death, but it's time for a desktop machine. My PC (piece of crap) is an amd athlon xp 3000 with 1 gig ram, ati 9600 vid. It's fast enuff, Im just sick of the driver conflicts, blue screens, etc...

I want something comparably fast to the desktop (I think my pb blows this hunk of junk out of the water.) I have an nec 2010x lcd monitor thats about 3 yrs old. Here's what I was thinking of getting.

Mac mini 1.42 with 512 ram airport and bluetooth (I want a gig, but apple is too much $$$ and I'm scared as hell to open it up) and a 20" widescreen apple lcd (cause it looks sooooo sweet)

or...
New imac 20" 512 ram (Will buy an aftermarket 1gig for total 1.5 gigs)

or...
Powermac dual 2.0 1 gb of ram (probably buy another stick to have total 2 gigs) no display.

I mainly surf the web, maybe watch the odd movie, no vid editing, but I do work with 100 - 700 gb audio files (I may keep the pc for that, cause I just like sound forge, but if anyone can convince me otherwise...) Thats really about it, not a big gamer, have a ps2 and xbox if I wanna play games.

Almost forgot, my concerns..
Mac mini - Read somewhere that 32 meg videocard will not be able to display stuff in dashboard properly? (ripples or something to that effect) Buying a new machine and not having 100% capability just bothers me.

imac - Really no concerns except I really like the look of the apple 20" better than the imac all in one. But the price, wow :D

Powermac - Don't get to buy a new screen cause of the price. Like the fact its got 2 processors. Do I need them, probably NOT. Feel a little cheap getting the dual 2 gig when the dual 2.7 is out there. I hate buying "old" tecnology, cause in 6 months i'll be outdated (at least I won't be outdated with the 2.7 for maybe 8 months lol)

Sorry for the long read, but I really value people's opinions, and by the looks of this board, some of you are VERY well informed!

Thanks!

steve88

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2005
The new imacs have a 128MB video card. That is the upgrade I was waiting for. I will order the 20" imac tomorrow!

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Well, I'm not saying the Mac mini sucks (it's an awesome machine), but, well, look at the price. I only got it two months ago, and am already drooling over the thought of getting a more powerful machine. And the 9200 in the Mac mini doesn't support CoreImage, so while you can use CoreImage for most stuff, some things just won't display (the ripple effect is an example). The ones that don't display are nonessential things that won't affect you as a user at all. Eye candy is all it is really.

iMac... Awesome price, nice graphic card that will support CoreImage, nice LCD, and did I say awesome price? But personally I don't like all-in-one's. I tend to keep my displays much longer than my machines, so throwing out the LCD along with the machine when I want to upgrade doesn't sit with me well.

PowerMac... Well, you get what you pay for. It's an awesome machine that will last you much longer than the above one, for one sole fact: You can upgrade it the most of the other machines. You can upgrade the video card, you can upgrade the RAM, you can upgrade the optical drive, you can upgrade/add hard drives, you can add ports and the such with PCI cards. The only negative, as you said, is the price. And the fact that it's still AGP 8x (I know I'll get some heat for this, I know PCI Express doesn't offer any performance improvement, but the point is PCI Express is the future, and it will be more future-proof as you can upgrade to newer cards for long after AGP 8x is phased out). How do you like your current LCD? If you like it, get the PowerMac, then save up for an nice LCD down the road.

In the end, it's up to you. My biased self (look at the avatar) would say PowerMac, but that's just my biased self talking.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
The PC you are complaining about really isn't that slow when configured correctly. I would imagine that if you bought a Mini you would be disappointed with the preformance if you are after something faster. The G5 2.0 iMac and or Dual 2.0 Powermac would be the best way to go for More power.

The new iMac lineup is an awesome setup. They combine power, space saving design, great features, and they are a good price for what you get.

The Powermac could use your old LCD monitor with ease, and would also get you some good potential if you wanted to keep it for 2 or 3 years, and upgrade it. It will be much easier to upgrade a G5 Powermac with Blu Ray then an Imac.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
The issue as I hear it, is that the single G5 does not make a difference over a singe G4.

It seems that for people like us that are looking for best bang for the buck long term, the DP PM 5's would be the best bet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.