PDA

View Full Version : Founder of Linux distributor Red Hat has offered Apple Compu...

MacBytes
May 4, 2005, 03:14 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Software
Link: Founder of Linux distributor Red Hat has offered Apple Computer CEO Steve Jobs a quick way out of a lawsuit over the latest version of Tiger. (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050504041412)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by arn

nagromme
May 4, 2005, 03:38 AM
:D

Mr. Young has offered to license the Hamilton Tiger-Cats' historical use of the word Tiger to Apple free of charge. The Hamilton Tigers Football Club, established in 1869, continued to be known as the Tigers (with its colours of yellow and black) until 1950, when the Tigers merged with the Hamilton Wildcats to become the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

"136 years ago we were called The Tigers," Mr. Young said. "If anyone owns the exclusive rights to the word "tiger" with that much history and tradition, it's gotta be us."
:p

angelneo
May 4, 2005, 03:43 AM
Hahahahahaha.......

Take that TigerDirect....

Hahahahahaha.......

Poff
May 4, 2005, 04:34 AM
Good stuff. Funny. Too funny. :D

840quadra
May 4, 2005, 06:04 AM
Systemax, Grow up!

Tiger for apple is an OS, not a division of the company. If the Patent office gave them a patent for the name and use, then it is legal.

Our Tiger is bigger then yours! :eek: :D

Jalexster
May 4, 2005, 06:09 AM
Am I the only one a bit freaked out by the fact that there are three posts, from three users, all in a row, and that all have "gems" with reflections on them?

whooleytoo
May 4, 2005, 06:16 AM
Considering how litigious Apple is and protective of it's IP and trademarks, I'm not inclined to have too much sympathy for them in this case.

SiliconAddict
May 4, 2005, 06:27 AM
As nice as the gesture is I think Jobs will keep this in his back pocket for now. I have to imagine the man is livid over this and probably wants to medieval on Tiger Direct's butt at some point with a counter suit.. I know I would and I donít even have an ego a quarter the size of Steve's.

Still. Very cool.

space2go
May 4, 2005, 08:25 AM
Shows that trademarks are an invention of the comedy industry.

angelneo
May 4, 2005, 09:56 AM
Am I the only one a bit freaked out by the fact that there are three posts, from three users, all in a row, and that all have "gems" with reflections on them?
I apologise for that post but I really couldn't stop laughing at the apparent drama that is unfolding. First, TigerDirect sues the day before Apple launches OS 10.4 which is obvious that they just want some dough (and even worse is that the lawsuit is based on some internet search engine result.....). Then someone came along and tore up TigerDirect ticket to stardom in a single stroke. Mr Young just show Systemax how absurd their lawsuit is, single-handedly.

mkrishnan
May 4, 2005, 10:03 AM
Angelneo, I think he's talking about your avatar, not the contents of your post. ;) :D

But I find this really funny too...I'm not sure how much sympathy I do/don't have for Apple (certainly less than for TigerDirect :rolleyes:), but I respect RedHat gangsta' now. :)

Jalexster
May 4, 2005, 10:15 AM
Angelneo, I think he's talking about your avatar, not the contents of your post. ;) :D
SNIP

Yeah, I was talking about the avatars. Look at them! All the same shape and size, with the same little oval reflection on the top! ARGH! Too...much...coincidence...to...mentally...handle...

/me head a sploads (Bragging right to the person who guesses where this is from)

mkrishnan
May 4, 2005, 10:20 AM
Yeah, I was talking about the avatars. Look at them! All the same shape and size, with the same little oval reflection on the top! ARGH! Too...much...coincidence...to...mentally...handle...

/me head a sploads (Bragging right to the person who guesses where this is from)

LOL, I'm not sure where that comes from, but now that you brought up the gem avatars, it's CREEPING me out. :eek: :p :D

rikers_mailbox
May 4, 2005, 11:25 AM

SBZone (http://homestarrunner.com/sbzone.html)

PlaceofDis
May 4, 2005, 11:32 AM
that is quite funny..... stupid TigerDirect has probably lost almost all Mac customers now... ;)

Jalexster
May 4, 2005, 12:25 PM
SBZone (http://homestarrunner.com/sbzone.html)

Good man. Knows his Homestar Runner.

iceDogg
May 4, 2005, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by PlaceofDis
that is quite funny..... stupid TigerDirect has probably lost almost all Mac customers now...
They lost me that's for sure.

Fiveos22
May 4, 2005, 02:24 PM
While Mr. Young's gesture is...ehhh...cute, it should have no bearing on this matter. The issue is not that the word "tiger" has been trademarked (patented, whatever), the problem arises from the similarity of the two Tigers. Albeit thin, the link between computer software and computer reseller is at least present. The link between tiger baseball and tiger computer is wholly non-existant.

Its the same as the possible G6 controversy between car maker and computer maker.

nagromme
May 4, 2005, 04:15 PM
That orb style with the reflection on top is no coincidence on a Mac site :) It's found throughout Mac OS X. Such as the .Mac icon, Network Prefs, iTMS flags, Internet Connect, and the 3 window gadgets.

I gave the idea to Apple of course ;)

840quadra
May 4, 2005, 06:23 PM
That orb style with the reflection on top is no coincidence on a Mac site :) It's found throughout Mac OS X. Such as the .Mac icon, Network Prefs, iTMS flags, Internet Connect, and the 3 window gadgets.

I gave the idea to Apple of course ;)

IT WAS YOU!!!

:p

SilvorX
May 4, 2005, 08:17 PM
"Who are we? The Wildcats!"
"Who are we going to beat? The Wildcats!"

The Tiger Cats were the worst team ever in the CFL 2 seasons ago, only won one game out of the whole season

I found the headline funny thinking that OS X ripped off Red Hat, not thinking of the Tiger Cats

The CFL season starts up soon.. the new jersies for the whole league are putrid

James Philp
May 4, 2005, 08:25 PM
"136 years ago we were called The Tigers," Mr. Young said. "If anyone owns the exclusive rights to the word "tiger" with that much history and tradition, it's gotta be us."

A simple Google search tuner up this (http://www.pwrr-army.co.uk/pwrr_history.htm).
Just remember, we Brits can outdate all of ya's! :p

The Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment can trace its history back to 1572 when Queen Elizabeth I reviewed the Trained Bands of London, from which the 3rd of Foot descended. The Regiment's precedence in the British Army dates from the raising of the 2nd of Foot in 1661 for the defence of Tangier acquired by King Charles II on his marriage to Princess Catherine of Braganza. The nickname "The Tigers" comes from the 67th Foot (South Hampshire Regiment). Having served 21 years unbroken service in India, under active service conditions, King George IV authorised the Tiger sleeve badge in 1826.

angelneo
May 4, 2005, 09:08 PM

Hahaha... I thought you are saying about the "gems" (wisdom) with "reflections" (thoughts) on "them" (our post).... in a mocking manner. and coincidentally, the first 3 posts are just laughing noise.

Damm... guess I have to changed my avatar. Looks like back to the drawing board.

solvs
May 4, 2005, 11:31 PM
They lost me that's for sure.
I'd say they lost me too because of this...

... but they lost me years ago thanks to all the times they screwed up our orders and just all around bad service. Newegg all the way for me now.