Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dimi94941

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2010
I have a MBP 15 inch so I am not in a hurry, however I want more portable laptop, but the current Air is not powerful enough, so I wanted to ask, what is expected from the next generation, we all know that from this gen it was expected a back light on keyboard and i5, i7 processors etc. But I don't watch the rumors too much so I was just wondering myself if I should wait for the next gen and wanted to know what is expected from the next one or what are your real expectations? Do you think it will have a quad core processor as current MBP, or will it have an option to upgrade to 8GB RAM and other stuff etc...

Thank you.

BadaBing!!

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2010
As far as I know, nothing serious yet since the actual one is only 3 months old.

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
yes. but youre going to be waiting until next may/june so go have a drink and relax.

-Better battery life
-increased performance due to Open-CL support
-USB 3.0 a strong possibility
-more capable GPU
-Likelihood of 8gb custom config

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
The current model is only 3 months old, and the first true Windows competitors are just coming out next week, so don't expect anything new before next June or July when the mobile Ivy Bridge chips are available.

That said, there have been on again/off again rumors about a 15" MacBook Air (or Air-like Pro). After lots of tech sites were caught out by "iPhone 5" rumors this week, those sites might be more cautious, but if it's going to come out in time for the holidays, it will be in the next 4 weeks. Otherwise, it won't come until February or March.

nebulos

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2010
as others have said, it'll be a while.

there are some articles floating around about 'low(er) voltage' quad-core CPUs maybe being in the cards from Intel, search for it.

just curious, what do you do on your MBP that you think the MBA couldn't handle?

dimi94941

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2010
Thank you guys.

@nebulos, I do video, photo editing, coding and programming, I also have Windows 7 through Bootcamp for Visual Basic and other coding software...

But since the Air came out I am amazed at how thin and light it is, it's like having an iPad that is a computer. And that's why I was wondering what is the "must be on the next Air" upgrade gonna be like... I am not looking for far fetched and interesting rumors, just what is a logic thing that we can except, kinda like we knew that iPad 2 must have cameras and new Air must have backlight keyboard, stuff like that so if someone knows anything else, keep posting! :) And also, laptop like that would be my new laptop for quite a while and that's why I don't want to rush and take lower power, I would rather be patient for couple of months and get a laptop that I won't need to change for quite a few years because Air is definitely the one I want, I just want it to also be more powerful. :) I don't want to throw a more powerful machine I already own MBP 15" for something that is just more portable. Well, A LOT more portable but you get the idea.

nebulos

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2010
the 2011 MBAs do a decent job keeping up with 2010 MBPs, (don't let the base clock speeds fool you), but if you have a 2011 MBP, then yeah, that's a big step up in performance, which it sounds like you would want.

if you want a quad MBA, you have a long wait ahead. just google and search the main MR page every once in a while. as it approaches, it will be easier to guess what the next MBA will bring. it's probably too soon to say anything now.

Agnoslibertine

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2011
Sweden
I think this years mac air is pretty good. But waiting for the next one is a typical thought, there will always come better and improved computers. There is no computer for life.
But compared to a netbook, the mac air is READY. in my opinion anyway.

eddieaus

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2009
the next Air will likely to have USB3.0 and the new Intel graphics will be 75% faster than the current HD3000. i'm more looking forward to the new MBP next year, which likely to be thinner and lighter without optical drive, but a lot more powerful than Air.

DieterRams

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
the next Air will likely to have USB3.0 and the new Intel graphics will be 75% faster than the current HD3000. i'm more looking forward to the new MBP next year, which likely to be thinner and lighter without optical drive, but a lot more powerful than Air.

If this happens, I'm thinking the MBA may not be getting 8GB RAM max and they'll just save that "feature" for the improved MBP. It's something I've been waiting for but whichever it is, I'll be getting the one that allows 8GB. I find 4GB to obviously be limiting when pushing the computer.

dimi94941

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2010
Oh, it also crossed my mind right now... I was gonna ask about 3G. Will next Air have 3G or is this on the horizon any time soon or are these just another farfetched rumors?

DieterRams

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
Oh, it also crossed my mind right now... I was gonna ask about 3G. Will next Air have 3G or is this on the horizon any time soon or are these just another farfetched rumors?

In my opinion, they will not and this is a farfetched rumor. Just my opinion though. I think the next revision will only be a quiet processor upgrade. If there is USB 3.0, the MBP will be getting that first, as they are more likely due for an upgrade before the MBA. So if the MBP gets it, then they'll all get it. However, I'm going to go with a reserved estimate and say it'll only be a processor upgrade, nothing else. The only thing that comes close is perhaps an 8GB RAM option but they may even save that as a MBP-only feature.

Maybe a 3G Air will have an antenna like that MBP prototype :p

joe1946

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2009
Ivy Bridge chipset coming in first half of 2012

I just purchased the new Air with Core i7 and 256GB since I don't want to wait until next summer for the Ivy Bridge Air.

"Graphics moves a heck of a lot faster than CPUs," said Tom Piazza, an Intel Fellow who explained the changes made to Intel's Sandy Bridge graphics engine to produce Ivy Bridge. Intel's 22nm HD graphics have been completely redesigned and now have L3 cache, support Microsoft's DirectX 11, deliver better 3D performance, and can support three independent displays, he said.

Ivy Bridge also greatly improves Intel Quick Sync Video, the chip giant's transcoding technology, Piazza added. All told, Ivy Bridge chips will have a 20 percent increase in CPU performance over Sandy Bridge and up to a 60 percent boost in integrated graphics performace, according to Intel.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2392932,00.asp#fbid=CP4j-BYkmPs

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.