PDA

View Full Version : MBA SuperDrive - is it compatible with MBP?

oxfordguy
Oct 7, 2011, 11:25 PM
Does any know if the MBA SuperDrive works okay with a MBP? Can the MBP supply enough power to it? The question may seem a little strange the MBP normally had an internal SuperDrive, but I'm thinking of removing mine to make space for a secondary HDD. I know I could put the removed SuperDrive in a third-party case, but haven't cone across anything that had the same build quality and aesthetics as the MBA SuperDrive. Thanks.

iBookG4user
Oct 7, 2011, 11:27 PM
No, it is not compatible without modification. It is only compatible with the MacBook Air and Mac Mini.

dubels
Oct 8, 2011, 01:33 AM
If you want to remove your superdrive from your optibay you can just place it in an enclosure with a power supply and run it that way via USB to your MBP.

nebulos
Oct 8, 2011, 01:36 AM
this is the kinda thing that makes Apple seem so stupid (and greedy). not only can't they make their DVD drive work with PCs, they can't even make it work with all Macs???

eric/
Oct 8, 2011, 02:22 AM
I'd be very surprised if it didn't work. Why wouldn't it? USB connection right?

mana2326
Oct 8, 2011, 03:30 AM
The SuperDrive works with my MBA and my Mini Server but not with my iMac or my old first gen MBP.
If you connect it with e.g. an iMac it initializes but will not accept/load any Disk.
Since there is no technical reason for this behavior it seems they incorporated some kind of system detection to prevent the use with other systems...