Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 6, 2004
Google was a web search business, yet here on the screen were postings for engineers with backgrounds that had nothing to do with search and everything to do with Microsoft's core business—people trained in things like operating-system design, compiler optimization, and distributed-systems architecture. Gates wondered whether Microsoft might be facing much more than a war in search

Linik

clykins90

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2005
I read that the other day, very interesting....

Headline: 2010

GOOGLE UNLEASHES GOOGLEOS, WINDOWS LONGHORN DELAYED, MAC OS 10.7 THIS YEAR

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
clykins90 said:

Better yet, Longhorn released, so many features removed that users can no longer tell the difference from XP/SP2. :D

Dunno about Google and a desktop OS...it's certainly possible...but since every few years, the idea of a pure network OS / computer re-surfaces, well, if anyone can do *that*, it's mos def Google.

StarbucksSam

macrumors 65816
Nov 21, 2004
Washington, D.C.
clykins90 said:

That's so funny.. I was just thinking earlier today that Google should release an OS called Googleos. LOL.

I think the headline might look more like:

July 2, 2008
GOOGLE-YAHOO RELEASE GOOGLEOS, LONGHORN EXPECTED IN FIVE YEARS, MAC OS X 2.0 THIS YEAR.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 6, 2004
clykins90 said:

Haha very good. Oh and the Olympics in Vancouver :D

tristan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2003
high-rise in beautiful bethesda
I read this article last week. I normally like fortune (it had some great articles on GM and health care costs), but this was garbage. The whole article basically kisses Bill's ass and the tone was like "Google's done great so far, but they better watch out!" I don't think anybody should be scared of Bill Gates anymore. First, he's *not* CEO anymore - they made him step down after the antitrust fiasco. And second, Microsoft hasn't done anything innovative in years, unless you count the Xbox and C# (both pretty dubious). It's not just my opinion, look at what Wall Street's done to the stock lately.

Inspector Lee

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2004
East Lansing, MI
I read this last week as well. But it was accompanied by marketshare graphs of Netscape, Lotus 1-2-3, and Wordperfect and how they were swallowed up by Microsoft.

re: Google

I don't believe Google will fall to Microsoft. They are too much of a household name and are entrenched - they are a company, a search engine, and a verb.

It is quite puzzling as to why a company with so much marketshare, so much coin, so much personnel, is putting out basically a mediocre product. I mean, let's call a spade a spade here... The Microsoft world should be years ahead of everyone else.

But they just don't get it in Redmond...

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
clykins90 said:

I would hope hope that mac had gone to a new gen OS like OS XI or X v2.0 :rolleyes:

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
Isn't there a lot more to an OS than searching? Google will have a lot of learning to do, there are very few companies who have a proud history of OSs to their name, or maybe just 1 ;) (Let's not talk about 8-9, ouch :eek: )
It's a huge and complicated business right? Otherwise, how could a company like MS get it so wrong!?!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.