Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
I'm trying to get something similar to the 24 effect on the show "24" starring Keifer Sutherland. Does anybody know how to achieve that in FCP HD?

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2004
Are you talking about the quad screen with each quadrant appearing at a distinct moment and a countdown in the middle effect?

If so, I can't recall which magazine it was, but some magazine that was on the newsstand in January had exactly that tutorial. I seem to remember that it was a UK publication (and was around $15 or so, which is why I didn't buy it) and it had How-To columns for Motion, FCP, etc.

Can anyone help me out here?

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
yes, that's the effect that I'm talking about .... please let me know if you find out more information about it

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
I haven't seen the show sense season 1, but IIRC It's a simple Picture-in-Picture effect.
1. Lay down the 4 separate clips you want to use on V1-V4
2. Starting on V4, double click on a video track in the timeline so that it opens up in the viewer window.
3. Go to the "motion" tab. Under "basic motion" use "scale" to resize your to the size you want it. You can also use the "crop" section to trim off any parts of the picture you don't want to be seen.
4. In the Canvas window turn on "image+wireframe" (I don't remember which option this is under off the top of my head) and you'll be able to drag the now shrunken video image around the Canvas window.
5. Repeat steps 2 and 4 for each video layer.

**EDIT** Whoops, forgot a small step.

Lethal

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
Moof1904 said:
Are you talking about the quad screen with each quadrant appearing at a distinct moment and a countdown in the middle effect?

If so, I can't recall which magazine it was, but some magazine that was on the newsstand in January had exactly that tutorial. I seem to remember that it was a UK publication (and was around $15 or so, which is why I didn't buy it) and it had How-To columns for Motion, FCP, etc.

Can anyone help me out here?

It was iCreate, a UK Mac magazine. :)

I have the issue, number 13.. Its kinda long. I dont know what I could do, without a scanner..

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
LethalWolfe said:
I haven't seen the show sense season 1, but IIRC It's a simple Picture-in-Picture effect.
1. Lay down the 4 separate clips you want to use on V1-V4
2. Starting on V4, double click on a video track in the timeline so that it opens up in the viewer window.
3. Go to the "motion" tab. Under "basic motion" use "scale" to resize your to the size you want it. You can also use the "crop" section to trim off any parts of the picture you don't want to be seen.
4. In the Canvas window turn on "image+wireframe" (I don't remember which option this is under off the top of my head) and you'll be able to drag the now shrunken video image around the Canvas window.
5. Repeat steps 2 and 4 for each video layer.

**EDIT** Whoops, forgot a small step.

Lethal

To build on that, you can use keyframes so the video starts full screen and moves into a quadrant as the other clips appear in their respective quadrants as well. What you do is...

1) Place your playhead at the beginning of the clip you want to move, then move it a second or two in...basically to where you want the movement to start.

2) make sure your image and wireframe setting is turned on.

3) click the diamond icon at the bottom of the canvas window, your wireframe will turn green.

4) Move the playhead in the timeline to the point at which you want your clip to stop moving.

5) Manipulate the clip size and position in the canvas or viewer window to where you want it.

6) hit play and your video will animate or move between your start point, and end point.

Sorry if I didn't explain it clearly enough, Lethal may have an easier way to explain it.

teymo

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2007
imovie HD

is this for imovie HD if not can it be done with imovie HD ? please help

Joe K

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2005
I think lethal explained it really well but if you want a step by step video search in the itunes store for a podcast called "Film School In A Box" the episodes Quad/Split Screen Tutorial and Moving Split Screens Tutorial cover all you need for the 24 look

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
No, its for Final Cut Pro(that is what fcp is isnt it)
I doubt you could do it in iMovie HD. Looks too complicated.

You're right. iMovie can only use one video layer.

Final Cut Pro and Final Cut Express are both capable of doing this effect. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.