Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zackonmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
Hey guys & gals.

Just a quick spec sheet of my mac mini :

Model identifier : macmini3,1
CPU : intel core 2 duo @ 2.26ghz
GPU : nvidia geforce 9400 @ 256mb vram
4gb DDR 3 @ 1333mhz

I purchased Lion when it came out but had to revert to snow leopard due to the nvidia drivers barley working.

For instance, my system was nippy with snow leopard as despite being a mac mini it's a fairly good spec. However after updating to lion that all changed. My apps were slow to open, multitasking became almost tedious (in comparison to SL) and worst of all anything requiring the GPU barley worked.

Playing a video for instance in VLC, the picture quality was degraded and worst of all when playing a video (just standard definition) and dragging the VLC window would result in the video tearing dramatically. I updated VLC about 3 times whilst on lion and it made no odds. This issue never appeared on snow leopard so im certain that it is the nvidia drivers in lion that were causing it.

I don't believe i kept lion installed long enough to try the 10.7.1 update.

Can someone who has a similar system to mine (or at least the same GPU) tell me if its any better at present now on lion?

I am a developer of IOS apps, and will have to upgrade one way or the other when IOS5 comes out so i can build for that, but I'd like this question answered first before I have to take the plunge.

Thanks in advance!

CodeBreaker

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2010
Sea of Tranquility
I am not experiencing major graphics problems. Apart from movies, I am also a casual gamer and play Borderlands, CoD 4, UrT, Guitar Hero, and many others. The frame rates are a bit lower than SL, but there are no bugs/glitches.

I can't comment about VLC because I use MPlayerX, Quicktime, iTunes and XBMC for media. I don't have any problems with them. It does feel a bit sluggish when switching between fullscreen Apps/spaces using trackpad.

System specs:
MacBook (5, 1) 2.4 GHz C2D
nVidia 9400 M
8 GB DDR3 1066
OS X 10.7.1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.