Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MDiddy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Chicago
Hi all,
I've been having fits trying to determine exactly what I need to do to get my home theater setup as well as possible. I've been doodling with this for a while and I'd love to get some clear definitive advice for my setup.

2010 Mac Mini with Lion & Remote Buddy software
Sony DH810 Receiver
Toshiba 42" LCD
All connected via HDMI
Logitech Harmony One Remote
NEW Logitech Harmony Link device

QUESTIONS:

1. At this point - Boxee or Plex? I've used both and I like how simple Boxee would be for my wife to use but if there's a way to make Plex just as one-touch accessible via a remote I'm cool with that.
  2. I need this setup to be newbie friendly, so my wife can use the remote when I'm not around. I'd like to setup the remote to launch Boxee or Plex with one touch if its not running and maybe force quit if it becomes unresponsive. What exactly do I need to do to get this done? Is it tedious?

I've read a lot of conflicting info on how I should setup the remote and whether Remote Buddy is even necessary. I'd be most appreciative for any input.

Thanks!

ReggaeFire

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2003
It depends on how you're planning on using the machine. Is it ONLY going to be using one program (be it Plex, Boxee, XBMC) or do you plan on using it for multiple things (EyeTV, Hulu, Plex, Safari, Slingplayer, etc.).

If you are only planning on using one application, then you don't need Remote Buddy. You can just program your Harmony as an Apple Remote and just use that.

If you're planning on switching between multiple applications, then yes you'll need Remote Buddy. It can be a bit of a bear to setup to its full potential, but for basic close this application, open that application, it's pretty straightforward. My wife was able to grasp it in about a week, and now has no issues bouncing between EyeTV, Plex, and Hulu. Basically the RB menu is brought up when you press Menu on the Harmony, which gives you a list of applications to launch that you navigate by pressing up or down, then clicking 'Activate (application)'

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.