Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kp416

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
I think I am going to pull the trigger on a 13inch MBA. Since I live in a small town Best Buy is my only option for picking one up and having to tomorrow. Any reason I should order from Apple instead of Best Buy? I know I am assuming they will have one in stock for me to take home.

Also regarding Applecare, does it matter where I get that? Can I find it cheaper at other places?

AuroraProject

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2008
Right there
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

The only reason for ordering from Apple would be a custom built system. If you are fine ordering base specs then Best Buy is a fine choice.
Apple care is available cheaper online, you just need to buy it sometime within a year of buying the Air.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Amazon is a popular choice for cheaper AppleCare. Also Apple Online if you can get the educational discount. Best Buy is good because of rewards points :). You get the same service from Apple regarding warranty. DON'T buy the Geek squad protection. They do not guarantee that you get Apple-certified parts in their repairs.

Spacely

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2011
I was at Best Buy today and they advertised the 11" 4/128 GB for $1139, but did not have it in stock. The guy told me "The truck comes in Tuesday or Wednesday." After he saw me wandering around looking at peripherals and playing with the 13" for a while, he came back over and said he'd checked and none of the other local stores had it, but a city some 90 minutes away did. Then he started to give me the hard sell about "Since you're interested in buying a Mac, why not apply for our Best Buy credit card!" and I scooted out the door.

A local Mac store sold me one for $1149 and it was worth another $10 to buy local, anyway.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Bought my 11" in a tax-free state at a Best Buy when they had the student promo still going (assuming it has ended already). It was $1139 with a $100 gift card =)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.