Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joiede

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2011
I use my iPhone and iPad differently and apart from mail, calendars, contacts, etc there are some apps I only want on one device and not on the other. Also different photos and music. (Both devices are only 16gb so space is limited.)

Everything I read says iCloud makes all devices the same. Is there a workaround?

Currently own iPad2 16g, iPhone 3gs...(4s on the way !!!), MacBook Pro 15".

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
I use my iPhone and iPad differently and apart from mail, calendars, contacts, etc there are some apps I only want on one device and not on the other. Also different photos and music. (Both devices are only 16gb so space is limited.)

Everything I read says iCloud makes all devices the same. Is there a workaround?

Currently own iPad2 16g, iPhone 3gs...(4s on the way !!!), MacBook Pro 15".

I have the same issue as you.
Guess we'll have to wait until after Wed. to find out!

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
You won't have the same Apps on both products if you don't want to. I don't have the same on my iPhone and iPad. I have the same Calendar, Contacts though.

thunderbunny

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
Cheshire, UK
iCloud does not affect the apps you have on either device. You can set up through iTunes or the device itself the apps you want on. If you have iTunes automatic download switched on, if you download a new app to iPhone it will also automatically download to iPad. If you don't want it on the other device just delete it. Or turn automatic downloads off in Store settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.