PDA

View Full Version : My 2011 MBA reached 140 degrees :o

CardboardGiant
Oct 9, 2011, 12:25 AM
I was playing Plants versus Zombies with itunes playing an album. Other apps that were running were Sparrow, Chrome, Reeder and Adium.

I checked my temperature with iStat menu 3 and it was bouncing between 138 - 141 degrees.

I have had this 2011 Macbook Air for a month now. I don't mind if it overheats as I am over the OCD phase.

I haven't really been reading overheating topics on this board, but I am curious to know what is the usual temperature for a MBA? What is too much heat?

Chundles
Oct 9, 2011, 12:28 AM
What's that in regular degrees? My MacBook often sees 90 or a bit higher when I'm ripping in Handbrake. It has never overheated though.

CardboardGiant
Oct 9, 2011, 12:29 AM
I think it's in fahrenheit? Right now it's reading 129 but i've stopped playing plants versus zombies... iTunes is still playing music though.

*edit*

Checked and yes it is in fahrenheit. Strange it's back to 131 but my macbook air doesn't feel hot now.. it's just warm, which is normal like if i'm playing a youtube video.

When it was around 138 - 141 it was very hot though, i put my palm on the left corner of the keyboard and I can feel it burning.

Chundles
Oct 9, 2011, 12:31 AM
Just shy of 61

About what my MacBook idles at...

I wouldn't be concerned.

CardboardGiant
Oct 9, 2011, 12:32 AM
Just shy of 61

About what my MacBook idles at...

I wouldn't be concerned.

Oh is your measurement in degrees celsius? I always thought it was in fahrenheit too.. but if it's in degrees celsius, that explains so much :rolleyes:

thank you for clarifying that.

Chundles
Oct 9, 2011, 12:37 AM
Yeah, needed to convert so I could make a proper comparison. That temperature is actually quite cool especially after all the stuff it's been doing.

Nice to see just how power efficient that new i5 is compared to my old Core 2 Duo.

CardboardGiant
Oct 9, 2011, 12:45 AM
Yeah, needed to convert so I could make a proper comparison. That temperature is actually quite cool especially after all the stuff it's been doing.

Nice to see just how power efficient that new i5 is compared to my old Core 2 Duo.

Okay I'm going to change my iStat Menu from fahrenheit to celsius now... Excuse me for my ignorance but I thought everyone here used fahrenheit so when I found that my temp. was 141 i thought i broke a new record >.> haha.

I'm playing Plants versus Zombies with itunes and chrome running something at the same time; doesn't get higher than 95 degrees celsius.

tmoerel
Oct 9, 2011, 06:28 AM
Temperature degrees can be all kind of standards.

Please specify if you are talking Celsius (Centigrade), Fahrenheit or Kelvin please!

The world has more than one standard.

coolguy1
Oct 9, 2011, 05:16 PM
Mine using ISTATPro, seems pretty high w/ just Chrome open w/ 2 tabs and nothing else open?

Measurements in Fahrenheit

http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/7728/tempsg.jpg

CardboardGiant
Oct 9, 2011, 05:36 PM
Mine using ISTATPro, seems pretty high w/ just Chrome open w/ 2 tabs and nothing else open?

Measurements in Fahrenheit

Image (http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/7728/tempsg.jpg)

That's 47.2 degrees celsius.. it's normal. I usually get around 20 - 60 degrees celsius with Sparrow, Chrome, Reeder and iTunes running.

I get 70 - 95 degrees celsius when I'm playing Mac App Store games with iTunes running.

So far it's not gone beyond 98 degrees celsius.

GGJstudios
Oct 9, 2011, 05:40 PM
The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat (around 100C/212F - 105C/221F, depending on your processor).

Unless there is a rare defect in your Mac, your temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload you're putting on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If they're spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964). Also, make sure you don't block the vents, which are located at the rear, near the hinge.

Learn about the fans in your Mac (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4543)
Apple Portables: Operating temperature (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1778)

iNeko
Oct 9, 2011, 07:11 PM
My 11" i7 Air is at 40˚C sitting on my bed with Adium, Safari, Mail and iTunes open :) it does get above 80˚C when gaming/etc

What I have noticed though, is that it gets MUCH hotter when on mains power (like 10-15˚C warmer) I'm assuming that this is because of the "intel turbo boost"?