PDA

View Full Version : iMac G4 and SSD error

potatis
Oct 9, 2011, 01:03 PM
Had installed a SSD in my iMac G4, but now more and more often the computer won't start and instead goes to a black screen with the message disk2s3: i/o error repeated over the screen. I do a fresh install of Tiger and then, after maybe a month or two I get the same error. Does the SSD wear out over time, or is it the lack of TRIM in OSX that does this? I suppose Leopard doesn't improve anything?

Intell
Oct 9, 2011, 01:07 PM
SSD's do wear out, but it takes a very long time (many years of very heavy use). I'm thinking your SSD is dying. Have you tried completely reformatting the SSD and starting fresh?

potatis
Oct 9, 2011, 01:29 PM
SSD's do wear out, but it takes a very long time (many years of very heavy use). I'm thinking your SSD is dying. Have you tried completely reformatting the SSD and starting fresh?

No, just the reformatting or wiping out that Tiger does. Should I do a complete reformat through Disk Utilities? I'm thinking it's not possible since the OS is running on it. The SSD is only one or two years old.

Intell
Oct 9, 2011, 01:33 PM
Try doing a complete reformat in Disc Utility and installing Tiger fresh. You can get to the Disc Utility on the Tiger reinstallation disc under the utilities menu. If that doesn't help. Your SSD may be going bad.

potatis
Oct 9, 2011, 01:38 PM
Try doing a complete reformat in Disc Utility and installing Tiger fresh. You can get to the Disc Utility on the Tiger reinstallation disc under the utilities menu. If that doesn't help. Your SSD may be going bad.

Ok. I also remember reading somewhere that journalised filesystem is bad for SSDs. Should I choose Unix filesystem instead of HFS+? Not sure about Leopard, but on my Tiger disc I can just choose from those two, there's no non-journalised option (neither in Lion I think)...

iDutchman
Oct 9, 2011, 03:27 PM
May I know which SSD and bracket you used? I'm thinking of putting an SSD in my iMac G4 as well.

potatis
Oct 9, 2011, 04:05 PM
an MTRON 3.5" SSD, so no bracket.

Intell
Oct 9, 2011, 04:07 PM
Format it as HFS+ with journaling enabled.

potatis
Oct 9, 2011, 05:53 PM
Ok. I reinstalled again now. I assume the third right-most button, "Delete", in Disk Utilities formats completely? Took only a couple of seconds but maybe that's how quick it goes? The left is named "Delete empty space" which makes me think that's quick format? I formatted non-journalised but I think Tiger installation reformatted it journalised.