PDA

View Full Version : Making a FLASH DRIVE bootable Windows partition?

Malkishua
Oct 9, 2011, 01:26 PM
Hello!

I've dug around and saw it's possible (with some work, I dislike the idea of having to remove my internal hard drive) to make an external drive boot for windows.
My questions is - is it possible to make a 32g flash drive bootable for windows? Since I only intend to install games on it, I don't need much space. 32g will suffice.

Thanks!

simsaladimbamba
Oct 9, 2011, 01:33 PM
A USB flash memory thumb drive will be very slow, it will have read speeds of only 5 to 25 MB/s (maybe sometimes a bit more) and write speeds will be maybe 2 to 15 MB/s, again, that is very, very slow to run an OS with.

Don't you have 32GB on your HDD you can partition it for?

Btw, if you already dug around and saw, that it is possible, weren't there any guides involved in those "it is possible" articles and posts?

Malkishua
Oct 9, 2011, 01:44 PM
A USB flash memory thumb drive will be very slow, it will have read speeds of only 5 to 25 MB/s (maybe sometimes a bit more) and write speeds will be maybe 2 to 15 MB/s, again, that is very, very slow to run an OS with.

Don't you have 32GB on your HDD you can partition it for?

Btw, if you already dug around and saw, that it is possible, weren't there any guides involved in those "it is possible" articles and posts?

Not that I saw :S
And I guess you're correct. and no. I have a 128g ssd :/ so everything counts.

Are there any dangers to use an external drive? Will it be fast enough to run games on?

Sincci
Oct 11, 2011, 09:00 AM
As far as I know, you cannot boot Windows from external usb storage..