Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mark081990

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2011
I want to put songs on my Macbook and then onto my new nano. However, I have a few questions - should I get time capsule? or a portable HD? I don't want my mac slowing down and want to put all of the many songs I want onto the HD or time capsule. anyone have any suggestions or ideas for a HD?

I dont want complications. I have a toshiba that worked for Windows and never worked for OS.

Labaguette

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2010
Good ol' Germany
It really depends on your MacBook and your storage needs if you want to buy an external HD. As long as you are keeping 10% (or more) free on your internal HDD, no problems of badly slowing down should occur. Especially talking about the nano i don't see a need for much storage - hell, even an iPod classic that allows for 20,000 songs downloaded from iTunes takes up only 160GB of space. I have more than 450GB of music on my 750GB internal HD and don't experience any problems. My advice: if you are worrying about hard disk space for music on an iPod nano, grab one of these nowadays-super-cheap internal 2.5" disks like this one and enjoy!

best regards

mark081990

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2011
It really depends on your MacBook and your storage needs if you want to buy an external HD. As long as you are keeping 10% (or more) free on your internal HDD, no problems of badly slowing down should occur. Especially talking about the nano i don't see a need for much storage - hell, even an iPod classic that allows for 20,000 songs downloaded from iTunes takes up only 160GB of space. I have more than 450GB of music on my 750GB internal HD and don't experience any problems. My advice: if you are worrying about hard disk space for music on an iPod nano, grab one of these nowadays-super-cheap internal 2.5" disks like this one and enjoy!

best regards

thanks a bunch. that was very helpful. i appreciate it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.