Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rrf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Hi guys,

My 2010 MacBook Air is damaged beyond repair, but SSD seems to be ok. I really want to get the data from it, but it is encrypted with Lion's FieVault2

Action plan is to:

1.Get SSD from damaged MBA 2010 (done)
2.Plug it into my brand new MacBook Air.
3. Log in, get the data, copy to USB drive
4 Swap SSDs back!

The question is:

The hardware is different. It's i5, not CoreDuo anymore. There are other hardware differences, too.

Will the new 2011 Air boot from SSD taken from 2010 MacBook Air (OS X Lion) ?

rrf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Good option, thanks for the advice!

But will I be able to decrypt FileVault 2 if I boot from another device? I know the password, but have no idea how to connect external FileVault 2 volume with different user keys

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Just get a blade ssd external enclosure from OWC. They run about 60 bucks. I'll attach the links in a sec.

This way you can use your 2010 MBA SSD in an external enclosure whenever you need it....

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/SSDAPOTGU3/

Well I did get one of these and:

1. Its huge ... Way bigger then it needs to be

2. The case is clear plastic and will scratch

3. The SSD does sit in the case properly and causes the connector to bow (i had to fiddle with it to make it work)

4. Its overpriced for just a 2.5 SSD case with a SATA to blade conversion connector (which does come out)

The basically used their existing case when they should have devised a new one that was truely portable (small).

Total disappointment and I returned it.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Since the Lion build is different, I'm guessing that you won't be able to boot from it directly. However, with an external enclosure, you should be able to read it and migrate from the old drive.

On a side note, what happened to the 2010?

rrf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Since the Lion build is different, I'm guessing that you won't be able to boot from it directly. However, with an external enclosure, you should be able to read it and migrate from the old drive.

On a side note, what happened to the 2010?

Shoulder strap on my laptop bag broke, and the bag took a dive into river. MacBook was in outer pocket. Water damage everywhere, except perhaps SSD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.