Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I am thinking of selling my 2009 uMB and just keeping the 2011 Base Mini I have, only because I rarely use the MB now that I have the fast mini, anyone else doing this as well just curious who just uses a Mini as their sole Mac/PC

jmcgeejr

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2010
Seattle, WA
I am thinking of selling my 2009 uMB and just keeping the 2011 Base Mini I have, only because I rarely use the MB now that I have the fast mini, anyone else doing this as well just curious who just uses a Mini as their sole Mac/PC

I use my mini 90% of the time, I use my air when I am on the couch or in bed. I also have a gaming rig with windows 7 on it for all my games as the mini is nowhere near powerful enough even with the upgraded ati graphics.

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
I have the new Mini server as my main computer. I have a MBP for when I travel or want to do work when someone else is using it, but if I have my preference I use the new Mini every time.

The base model Mini is comparable in specs to the 13" MacBook Pro.

Are there more powerful computers out there, sure, but it's still likely to blow away the systems most people use as their "Main" computers.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
Boxed up my PC over a month ago and only using this MacMini 2011. Perhaps when the IPad 3 comes out I will purchase it as my walk around system. ;)

keekl

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2008
PA
My old mini is our primary computer~the pc is in the kid's room and I don't fool with it much..:cool:

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
seems like an odd question. Mac Minis have been my sole home computer and HTPC for years. It's also my stereo. I use it with a soundbar and an HDTV in the living room.

If it's about laptops, never had, liked or needed one.
I do use an iPad2 but it's mostly a luxury.

monokitty

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2011
I've only had a Mac mini as my single computer since 2005 when the first PPC-based G4 model shipped. I now run an Early '09 2.0/4GB model, and the Mid-2011 2.7 GHz i7 model is on the way. They've always served my needs well.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
I had the 1.4Ghz ppc mini for several years as my main system, and again now am using the mid 2011 server mini as my main system. Never have I felt under-equipped to accomplish my work. The new mini is truly a screamer and blows away all but the newest systems imo.. if ya don't need a screen and a mouse, mini ftw. ;)

Karr271

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2011
my mac mini has been my main computer since i sold my old MBP and bought it. i mean it is a whole computer, not a relatively limited device like an iPad or something. I purposely bought it so i could have a desktop that stayed on while i was out, it's nice to leave it to process final cut and iMovie projects. But i do plan on getting either a Sony Vaio YB or Macbook Air for portable needs.

TuiSong

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2011
Petone, New Zealand
I've always had iMacs, but I decided that waiting five to six years between each to replace it was too long a wait. In the past I've had to drag it out as long as possible to justify the purchase price. I finally bit the bullet and switched over to mac mini + display for this incarnation of the main home computer. I figure it will be much easier to justify upgrading just the mini by itself and I can reduce the wait between new machines to 2-3 years because i'll be keeping the display.

Skoopman

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
I bought the 2.5 Mini with the AMD GPU 3 weeks ago and send my old laptop to the graveyard. As a website content writer I only use this little machine which is hooked up to a 24" Samsung SyncMaster. Don't need anything else because I work from home. I thought about purchasing an iMac, but the glossy Display is a no-go for me.

QuantumLo0p

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2006
U.S.A.
My 2010 Mini is the only computer currently used. Usually there is one user logged on at a time but once in a while there is two and has been three to four, user switched, logged in at the same time. Mostly everyone uses Safari, Mail and iPhoto with even a bit of *cough* WoW thrown in the mix. I have 8GB of ram which seems to be enough to keep everyone's apps cached so they start instantly. The key is to have enough ram and right now it's relatively cheap. I have a 500GB Momentus XT hdd but if a huge ssd was cheaper than they are now I would have bought it.

To be honest we don't have enough time on this one Mini; somebody is always using it. I am contemplating building a cad/cam/cae rig when the 8-core AMD Bulldozer ships so that will free up the Mini a bit but I may just have to pick up another Mini. Perhaps use it with a big screen tv.

TheMTtakeover

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2011
I use mac mini for about 85% of the time. the only time I don't use it is when Im using my dell laptop at school.

MattA

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
Orlando, FL
My mini is my only computer at the moment, though I do have an iPad. The Mini does everything that's needed and then some. I also have a 24" ACD attached. It's a pretty decent rig, though I'm starting to notice a few slowdowns in lion.

penguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2007
CA

I have 2 minis...one original G4 and the other a 2009 C2D 2.0 with 4gb and a 320gb 7200 rpm drive. It's time for the new mini...maybe putting the G4 out to pasture...but even my 2009 still performs great...just too many people fighting to use it!

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
While i've had a number of macs, i now use the mid 2010 base mac mini with 4gb of ram, the apple bluetooth keyboard and trackpad hooked to a 21 inch hp tilt and swivel monitor as my main computer with snow leopard 10.6.8. My profession is published author and i'm currently finishing writing a 125,000 word book using ms word for the mac. I'm on the mini at least 8 hours a day. I also use it for surfing, email and research, etc. My second device which i use a lot is an ipad2. You can't go wrong with that combination. After i finish the book i plan to update the mini to 8gb ram, which is so cheap now.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I think speed wise you'd be more then fine, as the Mac mini is faster then your laptop, but it's more a question of form factor, can you make do without the portability?

I have a Mac mini which is the only machine I use when I'm in my dorm room, but as a student, I need a laptop to take notes, so I have an Air as well. Also my Mini is a quad core Mini, but I don't do much that's system intensive on it regardless.

pdafan

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
Been using Mac Mini 2011 2.3ghz as main system for surfing, mail, music, media server, warcraft3 DOTA, ubuntu (via vmware at Desktop 3).
It runs 24 by 7.

Just turn on the monitor to surf, mail, DOTA.
Headless
- as media server to stream music and videos, play music
- as personal server for proxy and downloading, ftp,.

Never regret getting this tiny piece of wonder machine. With 8gb RAM memory, this machine is buttery smooth (except for graphics demanding games).

robertk328

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
have had a mini since 2007. c2d, 2ghz. Only other things I have are iPhone, iPad2. been working great, though I'm thinking about the newer versions to update.

bt22

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2009
Alabama
I am considering getting the Mac Mini and TBD. I also have an :apple:TV 2nd Gen and would want the Mac Mini to serve my iTunes content to it. Does the Mini wake on LAN request? I would like the Mini to sleep unless my :apple:TV was trying to stream from it. I would also have to store my media on an external HD. I assume there would be a small buffer time, but things should work fine under this scenario, yes?

Born2Run

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2010
Hove
I work on a Cruise Ship and up until yesterday used to carry my 17" MBP, an iPad (1st Gen), an iPhone4, a couple of iPods, a 2tb external drive, a 1tb ext drive and a Nikon D90 in my Carry On bag, so it's always been quite heavy.

Yesterday I was in New York City for the day and after going to see 'The Book of Mormon' on Broadway I decided to go and visit the Apple Store on Fitfh Avenue, I left there with an iPad 2 (64gb) and a Mac Mini ($799 model + wireless keyboard, mouse and dvd drive), I decided to replace my MBP with the Mini as it's smaller, lighter and I have a HDTV in my cabin to link it too... The only problem I've encountered is the fact that my TV is mounted on the wall above my desk, so I have to look up all the time, but other than that, I'm loving it!

I'll sell my MBP to another crew member (it's a 2009 unibody one, so I'm thinking about selling it for around $800) and I'll give my old iPad to my father when I get back to England in March.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.