Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cyberbolt

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2007
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone on here could help with a problem I'm having. I recently "pimped out" my aluminium MacBook (late 2008). I upgraded the RAM to 8GB, switched the HD out for a 115GB OWC SSD and used a data-doubler to replace the DVD drive with a 1TB Samsung Spinpoint HD. I also installed a clean version of Lion.

Since doing this I've experienced a problem when playing music, both from iTunes and Spotify. The music jitters and skips and it's quite infuriating! When playing video I don't experience any kind of problems with the sound, so I'm rather confused. Obviously I've changed quite a lot so it's difficult to work out which one thing has caused the change. Anyone got any ideas?

I keep the programs on the SSD but media files are on the HD. Not sure if that could make a difference.

If anyone could point in the right direction or has any idea what could be causing it I'd be really appreciative!

Thanks very much!

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Apex, NC
If you play the media files in the finder, does it still skip? If you copy it to your SSD, does it still skip? Does streaming audio skip, or is it just files on the hard drive?

cyberbolt

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2007
Thanks for getting back to me.

Music skips when streaming (from Spotify) and when playing from the hard drive. When playing in Finder it still skips. Skips when playing from both SSD and HD. So, basically skips all the time!

Any idea of what it could be!? It's really annoying!

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Apex, NC
Sounds like something is chewing up all of your processor time. The machine in general is likely pretty sluggish. Check Activity Monitor for a process that's using high percentages of your CPU.

If not, check /var/log/kernel.log for audio error messages.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.