PDA

View Full Version : Apple's Covent Garden Retail Store Raided in Organized Motorbike Robbery

MacRumors
Oct 10, 2011, 10:54 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/10/apples-covent-garden-retail-store-raided-in-organized-motorbike-robbery/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/10/covent_garden_robbery_police.jpg

Police at Covent Garden store following the robbery (Source: Rob Shoesmith (http://robshoesmith.blogspot.com/2011/10/day-7-apple-store-has-been-robbed-in.html))

The Indepdent reports (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/two-people-held-over-raid-on-covent-garden-apple-store-2368287.html) that Apple's Covent Garden store in London was the target of an organized smash-and-grab robbery conducted by a group of moped and motorcycle riders last night, and it appears that at least seven vehicles and as many as fourteen individuals were involved.Police were called at around 1am after one of the store's windows was smashed and a haul of Apple devices, including valuable iPads, was stolen.

It is believed around seven masked raiders riding mopeds and motorcycles were involved in the incident.

All suspects were wearing full face crash helmets and most, if not all of the motorbikes were carrying a pillion passenger, the Met said.Two individuals, a 16-year-old and a 21-year-old, were later apprehended carrying bags of property believed to have been stolen from the store.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/10/covent_garden_robbery_boarded_window.jpg

Boarded-up window at Covent Garden retail store (Source: The Next Web (http://thenextweb.com/apple/2011/10/10/apples-covent-garden-store-hit-by-7-strong-motorbike-gang-targeting-ipads/))
The Metropolitan Police Service has requested that anyone with information on the robbery please contact law enforcement.

Article Link: Apple's Covent Garden Retail Store Raided in Organized Motorbike Robbery (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/10/apples-covent-garden-retail-store-raided-in-organized-motorbike-robbery/)

r2shyyou
Oct 10, 2011, 10:57 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A334)

Oh no!

Skoua
Oct 10, 2011, 10:58 AM
Too impatient to wait for Oct 12th? :p

tobydolier
Oct 10, 2011, 11:02 AM
aren't they gonna look dumb when they look on 'find my iphone'

unsignedbyte
wasnt me :p

ctdonath
In other news, Apple's iOS products include a "Where's My iPod/Pad/Phone?" service with instant live updates of the device's whereabouts, and the ability to remotely "brick" those devices.

yeah
Oct 10, 2011, 11:03 AM
Same story on 9to5mac (but earlier) http://9to5mac.com/2011/10/10/motorbike-gang-raids-apples-covent-garden-store-steal-ipads/ :D

miknos
Oct 10, 2011, 11:04 AM
Apple should publicize more of it Find My iDevice.

Eddyisgreat
Oct 10, 2011, 11:06 AM
Guess you could say
*puts on sunglasses*
they wanted some hot products.

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Consultant
Oct 10, 2011, 11:08 AM
Appearantly the thiefs don't realize that London is blanked in CCTV.

rmwebs
Oct 10, 2011, 11:10 AM
Took you long enough to post this...posted it on the forum hours ago, and sent it in: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1244996

bigjobby
Oct 10, 2011, 11:10 AM
What I'd like to know is where was this (http://www.idownloadblog.com/2011/10/08/interview-rob-shoesmith/) fella who was supposed to be camped outside that store for the iP4S launch.

garylapointe
Oct 10, 2011, 11:11 AM
In other news, Apple's iOS products include a "Where's My iPod/Pad/Phone?" service with instant live updates of the device's whereabouts, and the ability to remotely "brick" those devices.

It doesn't brick the device, it wipes it to be like a fresh one out of the box.

A fresh one that does not have Find my iDevice enabled anymore since that info was wiped.

Unless I just don't have the new "Brick my iPhone" app?!?

Gary

ltcol266845
Oct 10, 2011, 11:14 AM
Seems it's time for Apple to invent "Transparent Aluminum" (From Star Trek) so their stores can't be broken into as easily.

parish
Oct 10, 2011, 11:24 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

What I'd like to know is where was this (http://www.idownloadblog.com/2011/10/08/interview-rob-shoesmith/) fella who was supposed to be camped outside that store for the iP4S launch.

He must have been moved on by the boys in blue (probably under the Prevention of Terrorism Act :rolleyes: ). I was in the CG store yesterday and didn't see him

Hope the thieves didn't destroy the sizeable memorial to SJ outside the store!!!

garylapointe
Oct 10, 2011, 11:29 AM
Seems it's time for Apple to invent "Transparent Aluminum" (From Star Trek) so their stores can't be broken into as easily.

Wasn't that invented (with a voice activated) Apple product!

Gary

justperry
Oct 10, 2011, 11:38 AM
We already found out some while ago that london is full of looters.
Common Steve tell the man in charge up there to do something about it!

Xenc
Oct 10, 2011, 11:42 AM
A couple of the idiots were caught, too. Dregs of society.

rshanahan
Oct 10, 2011, 11:43 AM

Or use some of that old glass removed from the 5th avenue store remodel.

Reason077
Oct 10, 2011, 11:48 AM

They were wearing motorbike helmets, apparently, so CCTV not so helpful.

----------

He is still there, but apparently slept through the actual robbery - woke up to the sound of alarms going off and motorbikes speeding away.

The first photo in this article was taken by him. See http://robshoesmith.blogspot.com/

OceanView
Oct 10, 2011, 11:50 AM
They should use that plexiglass that banks use.
Impossible to penetrate.

Kilamite
Oct 10, 2011, 11:50 AM
These guys were obviously still in jail during the July riots, and felt a bit left out.

justperry
Oct 10, 2011, 11:58 AM
They should use that plexiglass that banks use.
Impossible to penetrate.

That is not plexiglass, its armored glass and it will stop bullets.
Plexiglass will easily scratch so a no go for Apple when you can't look inside anymore after a couple of years.

rayray5884
Oct 10, 2011, 12:05 PM
My first thought, 'You think they'd have a more elegant solution in place for boarding up the window.'

lc25
Oct 10, 2011, 12:12 PM
Isn't that bloke still camping outside for the new iPhone launch ? he should have stopped them :D

haydn!
Oct 10, 2011, 12:16 PM
The CCTV may prove useful as although they won't have recordings of their faces at the Apple Store, they would be able to trace the bikes as they travelled through the city getting a good idea of where they ended up.

They should perhaps consider bollards in front of the windows. Those that lift up only at night and are concealed underground during the day. That way it wouldn't ruin the aesthetics of the store front during the day.

Defender2010
Oct 10, 2011, 12:25 PM

Don't you mean "blanketed"?

Antares
Oct 10, 2011, 12:41 PM
Hmm...bikes aren't ideal for carrying bulky boxes of electronics. Did they steal floor demo models?

daxomni
Oct 10, 2011, 12:43 PM
Don't you mean "blanketed"?
Just like he meant thieves instead of thiefs, I'm sure.

mw360
Oct 10, 2011, 01:05 PM
Hmm...bikes aren't ideal for carrying bulky boxes of electronics. Did they steal floor demo models?

They sound like a bunch of idiots. Didn't they think to bring a van? How much can a moped rider carry? They'll probably make far less than £5K each once they divvy up the goods between riders and passengers. Then they'll do 6 months in jail. That's below minimum wage.

andylyon
Oct 10, 2011, 01:07 PM
They should perhaps consider bollards in front of the windows. Those that lift up only at night and are concealed underground during the day. That way it wouldn't ruin the aesthetics of the store front during the day.

Bollards may stop a car or van, but I think they would be useless against motorcycles and mopeds!

parish
Oct 10, 2011, 01:32 PM
I read somewhere that store display iPhones (and presumably 3G iPads) don't have SIM slots, so they won't be worth much :p

andreiru
Oct 10, 2011, 01:47 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Idiots.

iHateMacs
Oct 10, 2011, 02:00 PM
My first thought, 'You think they'd have a more elegant solution in place for boarding up the window.'

Yeah right so when the window company gets a call in the middle of the night to secure some premised do they need to ask if the customer wants flake board or some nice wood panelling? Mahogany or Walnut?

Glideslope
Oct 10, 2011, 02:05 PM

I see, your certain no such metal has been in Apple's Chambers yet? :rolleyes:

raybanboy
Oct 10, 2011, 02:07 PM
Several of the businesses in the local area have been targeted by the same gang in the past couple of months including, The Ray-Ban Store, Chanel, Vision Express and several high profile fashion stores. It appears to be the same gang using the same tactics, and it has been seen in some of the burglaries that they've no problem in harming the security on duty.

This isn't the first in the area and by no means the last, they drove a bike through two 4m high 2 inch thick glass doors and down a staircase in the ray-ban store in August...not cool, hope the cops catch the gits soon!

J

porky2017
Oct 10, 2011, 02:36 PM
Where were the security guards-my local apple store has security guards sitting in the store from closing till they open again..

----------

Several of the businesses in the local area have been targeted by the same gang in the past couple of months including, The Ray-Ban Store, Chanel, Vision Express and several high profile fashion stores. It appears to be the same gang using the same tactics, and it has been seen in some of the burglaries that they've no problem in harming the security on duty.

This isn't the first in the area and by no means the last, they drove a bike through two 4m high 2 inch thick glass doors and down a staircase in the ray-ban store in August...not cool, hope the cops catch the gits soon!

J

yes i agree not cool-:mad:these idiots need to be caught & fu#@ked up..

kirk26
Oct 10, 2011, 02:50 PM
Heh, they should have waited for the iPhone 4S deliveries.

Lone Deranger
Oct 10, 2011, 03:01 PM
Here’s one thing the copycat Microsoft stores won’t have to worry about. ;)

FuNGi
Oct 10, 2011, 03:09 PM

J

^That sounds pretty bad-ass.

toddybody
Oct 10, 2011, 04:21 PM
Well, you know the best thing to cure looting biker gangs right?

http://img4.dishonline.com/dish/03/58/0358cf067919773b317b147a3ec9732c.jpg

saxofunk
Oct 10, 2011, 06:00 PM
doesn't every iPhone 4 already have AluminoSilicate glass? Sapphires are aluminum crystals, it already exists. Al2O3 I believe.

iorangutan
Oct 10, 2011, 08:04 PM
Surely Apple have the serial numbers of the missing devices and are able to remotely activate "find my iPhone" and track them down through that or other methods like when they are activated/synced etc.

Someone in Australia stole an iPad and the owner/victim told the police exactly where it was - in the thiefs house, and they arrested him.

Digital Skunk
Oct 10, 2011, 08:41 PM
I read somewhere that store display iPhones (and presumably 3G iPads) don't have SIM slots, so they won't be worth much :p

I know that in the US they phones have SIM slots and cards, but the cards and IMEI numbers are logged and when someone tries activating it they'll be in deep you know what.

I doubt that anyone will try to activate a hot iPhone though.

Our stores don't have 3G iPads on display, so no need for a SIM.

justperry
Oct 10, 2011, 11:40 PM

In the Netherlands many businesses have security fences like this.
Still can look trough but very secure.

justperry
Oct 10, 2011, 11:54 PM
I know that in the US they phones have SIM slots and cards, but the cards and IMEI numbers are logged and when someone tries activating it they'll be in deep you know what.

I doubt that anyone will try to activate a hot iPhone though.

Our stores don't have 3G iPads on display, so no need for a SIM.

Maybe in the US they track you but in many countries the police doesn't see this as a priority, even not in Europe, only when real crime is involved like drugs and murder they can track but even then they have to ask a Judge first.
Its petty crime and there is too much time involved to track stolen phones IMEI numbers.

rowley
Oct 11, 2011, 04:11 AM

From the pictures, the window caved in is around the corner, and the farthest away from where he was camping.

Digital Skunk
Oct 11, 2011, 05:57 AM
Maybe in the US they track you but in many countries the police doesn't see this as a priority, even not in Europe, only when real crime is involved like drugs and murder they can track but even then they have to ask a Judge first.
Its petty crime and there is too much time involved to track stolen phones IMEI numbers.

Never said they'd track you. The worst they'd do is take the phone when you try activating it.

Amazing Iceman
Oct 11, 2011, 08:18 AM
From the pictures, the window caved in is around the corner, and the farthest away from where he was camping.

I'm sure that if he heard anything he would have preferred to remain unnoticed to avoid getting beaten up or killed.
And who knows, maybe he called the police.

----------

Well, you know the best thing to cure looting biker gangs right?

Image (http://img4.dishonline.com/dish/03/58/0358cf067919773b317b147a3ec9732c.jpg)

Yep, only Jackie would have been able to save the Apple store. He's much better than a loaded weapon. :D

Fishrrman
Oct 11, 2011, 08:39 AM
Time for "Occupy Apple!" :)

stringent
Oct 11, 2011, 09:52 AM
My guess is they didn't cover up their number plate before the robbery ...

JavaTheHut
Oct 11, 2011, 11:13 AM
Were they Mods or Rockers?:p

SkippyThorson
Oct 11, 2011, 12:22 PM
Guess you could say
*puts on sunglasses*
they wanted some hot products.

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

This was the first time I've laughed reading MacRumors in about a week. Thank you. :)

rmwebs
Oct 11, 2011, 12:59 PM

That would take years of paperwork in the UK and would be disallowed by local councils for 99% of the stores.

A simpler solution is the good old metal shutter. I've got no sympathy whatsoever for Apple as metal shutters can be used and dont destroy the aesthetics during business hours.

the8thark
Oct 11, 2011, 02:52 PM
It's not about the loot anymore.
The Apple stores are the best stores in the world. Even to the people in the criminal underworld. And breaking into one get's you a lot of underworld brownie points with the other criminals. Breaking into the world's most popular store.

It just proves some people just do crimes for crime itself. Not the loot.

Or they are dumb criminals who forget you can not haul much loot away on a bike.

bLink-404
Oct 11, 2011, 04:51 PM
Apple's Covent Garden store in London

That explains it... ಠ_ಠ #jerkfaces

nebo1ss
Oct 11, 2011, 05:06 PM

They do indeed have Sim Slots but the little hole to eject the Sim is missing.
You would have to use some sort of suction device to remove the SIM holder.

DESNOS
Oct 11, 2011, 06:18 PM

Believe it or not, but such a thing should be possible in the near future. Look up "metamaterials". It has been shown to capable of rendering an object completely invisible. It isn't aluminum or anything, but you could probably coat aluminum in the stuff. Definite food for thought. Here's the wikipedia link, although that isn't where I learned about this from so I can't vouch for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metamaterial

overcast
Oct 12, 2011, 08:09 AM
This was a burglary, not a robbery. There is a big difference.

reden
Oct 12, 2011, 10:44 AM

What, you think they have "elegant" backup windows just sitting somewhere in the back in case this happens?