PDA

View Full Version : iOS 5 GM Battery Life

auero
Oct 10, 2011, 12:04 PM
Before I even start, I am a registered developer and no I didn't register to get iOS 5 early. I'm looking to see if my issue is software or hardware.

For the passed two days I've charge my phone to 100% and unplugged it around 11pm/12am. When I wake up at roughly 8am my phone is completely dead. Nothing running running in the background or any reminders set. Through the day my battery life rapidly drops without using it causing me to at least charge it 2-3 times a day.

My question is has anyone seen this issue? I've been looking around (specifically twitter) and haven't seen a whole lot of complaints on this so I figured I'd give a shot asking here. I'm more concerned that it might be my phone? The battery life was pretty good prior to installing the gm so it doesn't make sense.

saving107
Oct 10, 2011, 12:13 PM
I've had iOS 5 on my iPhone 4 since the GM was released on wednesday and I would actually say that my battery life has improved since iOS 4.3.5

I did a test over the weekend and I managed to get 8 hrs of full usage out of my phone (before it hovered around 6 1/2-7hrs) with almost 36 hours of standby time.

I have 3 location based reminders set
I played multiple games (Words with Friends, World of Goo, Real Racing 2, Osmos etc...)
Streamed audio from rdio (while on wifi)
Made phone calls
Used twitter
iMessage
Took pictures
Wirelessly sent music and photos to my iPhone
and a full iCloud back-up (first time)

auero
Oct 10, 2011, 12:17 PM
I've had iOS 5 on my iPhone 4 since the GM was released on wednesday and I would actually say that my battery life has improved since iOS 4.3.5

I did a test over the weekend and I managed to get 8 hrs of full usage out of my phone (before it hovered around 6 1/2-7hrs) with almost 36 hours of standby time.

I played multiple games
Made phone calls
Used twitter
iMessage
Took pictures

I appreciate your reply. You're not the first to tell me it's improved which had me question if it was perhaps the hardware. Only good news is that I have a new phone coming since mine is out of warranty already.

jamespa66
Oct 10, 2011, 12:19 PM
I have actually noticed better battery life on my iPhone 4 with IOS 5 GM.
The last beta release I did notice a significant battery drain.
When I first loaded the GM release I did the normal data restore and still noticed the drain so choose to reload IOS 5 GM again. The second load I did not do a restore from backup. Not sure if there was something that was getting restored causing the drain but things are great doing a 100% clean rebuild from scratch with no data restore.

saving107
Oct 10, 2011, 12:20 PM
I appreciate your reply. You're not the first to tell me it's improved which had me question if it was perhaps the hardware. Only good news is that I have a new phone coming since mine is out of warranty already.

I forgot to mention that I set up my iPhone a new, I never restore from a back-up when Apple releases a major update (like going from iOS 4.3.5 - 5.0).

FreakinEurekan
Oct 10, 2011, 12:20 PM
Mine was at 100% yesterday when I arrived home at about 6PM (car charger dock). No calls since then, but checked some emails and whatnot. Wifi, 3G, and Bluetooth are on, no location-based reminders.

Right now (18 hours later) I'm at 77% battery.

Xenc
Oct 10, 2011, 12:22 PM
Battery life looks the same to me. Maybe you had an app running that was actively using the GPS? (ie. with location icon in status bar)

BamaATL
Oct 10, 2011, 12:23 PM
Battery life has been very good for me. Better than 4.x.

I setup mine as "new" as well when I installed 5.0 GM.

jrodsep
Oct 10, 2011, 12:23 PM
Actually I have had the opposite of the OP. In fact, last night I unplugged my phone around 10PM, when I woke up this morning it still had 100% battery. I have currently ESPN Scorecenter sending me notifications, email and Fahrenheit weather app and with 4.3.3 my battery life was awful but 5.0 GM I can go almost 2 days with one charge and with light use of the phone.

auero
Oct 10, 2011, 12:26 PM
Very odd as I setup the phone as new when installing. Maybe I'll give reinstalling another shot. No location apps are running, not to mention I turned off the weather and stock widgets. I only loaded one or two apps onto the phone anyway.

jamespa66
Actually I have had the opposite of the OP. In fact, last night I unplugged my phone around 10PM, when I woke up this morning it still had 100% battery. I have currently ESPN Scorecenter sending me notifications, email and Fahrenheit weather app and with 4.3.3 my battery life was awful but 5.0 GM I can go almost 2 days with one charge and with light use of the phone.

jrodsep, was this a clean load or did you restore data after installing 5 GM? Just starting to notice a trend on this thread as well as on a couple other forums I follow.

adztaylor
Battery life I'd say has been the same for me using my iPhone 4 for usage. However standby has improved massively.

I restored from backup.

Yumunum
Crud, so I should probably re-install everything when I get iOS 5? :/ *bad memories from Android phones...*

TOOFY
Oct 10, 2011, 12:28 PM
Before I even start, I am a registered developer and no I didn't register to get iOS 5 early. I'm looking to see if my issue is software or hardware.

For the passed two days I've charge my phone to 100% and unplugged it around 11pm/12am. When I wake up at roughly 8am my phone is completely dead. Nothing running running in the background or any reminders set. Through the day my battery life rapidly drops without using it causing me to at least charge it 2-3 times a day.

My question is has anyone seen this issue? I've been looking around (specifically twitter) and haven't seen a whole lot of complaints on this so I figured I'd give a shot asking here. I'm more concerned that it might be my phone? The battery life was pretty good prior to installing the gm so it doesn't make sense.

This was an issue with beta 2 and 3 i observed on my iPad 2 and iP4 as a developer. After beta 4 came out i did not see this issue with beta 5, & 6 so on and so forth.

Be sure to setup as new device and then restore. Hope it helps - because it worked for me.

jrodsep
Oct 10, 2011, 12:28 PM
jrodsep, was this a clean load or did you restore data after installing 5 GM? Just starting to notice a trend on this thread as well as on a couple other forums I follow.

Clean restore. I always do a restore and set up as new.

nooaah
Oct 10, 2011, 12:30 PM
I restored iOS 5 from a 4.3.3 jailbroken profile - figured I'd take a shot since I just clean restored a week ago. Other than Infinity Blade getting the same horrendous lag, the phone itself is much smoother and the battery is, as far as I can tell, no different than before (which is to say it's pretty damn good).

Xenc
Oct 10, 2011, 12:31 PM
Crud, so I should probably re-install everything when I get iOS 5? :/ *bad memories from Android phones...*

I assure you there's no difference on battery life between restoring from backup and setting up a new phone and recreating the same environment. Explore the contents of the iPhone backup. There's nothing there that will cause loss of battery...

FreakinEurekan
Oct 10, 2011, 12:48 PM

:confused: I don't see any evidence in this thread or elsewhere that doing so would make a difference. I restored from backup on my iOS5 GM and battery life is fine.

Yumunum
Oct 10, 2011, 12:50 PM
:confused: I don't see any evidence in this thread or elsewhere that doing so would make a difference. I restored from backup on my iOS5 GM and battery life is fine.

True, no "evidence" But I do wonder why everyone is suggesting that a clean-slate'll solve this problem :/ Hmm

Gdgtguru
Oct 10, 2011, 12:53 PM
I assure you there's no difference on battery life between restoring from backup and setting up a new phone and recreating the same environment. Explore the contents of the iPhone backup. There's nothing there that will cause loss of battery...

Agreed.

I too am having the same battery life issue with the GM. Some troubleshooting has led me to believe it is related to my work Exchange account. If I remove the account from the phone, the battery life returns to normal.

FreakinEurekan
Oct 10, 2011, 01:02 PM
True, no "evidence" But I do wonder why everyone is suggesting that a clean-slate'll solve this problem :/ Hmm

I think it's just asking questions - i.e. eliminating variables. At this point the few battery problems reported here on MR don't seem to correlate with fresh install vs. restore. However you might get more relevant data on one of the dev forums, where there are more Beta users.

sziehr
Oct 10, 2011, 09:06 PM
I can say that i have installed it on several devices all CDMA iPhone 4 and they all are showing signs of premature battery drain. This is compared to both 4.xx and beta 7. The beta 7 was rock solid and had battery life comparable to 4.xx series. I have noticed something strange I take an iPhone off the charger and it has nothing running yet the usage says 5 hours of use and i know for a fact the phone was dark the entire day no use. All i can seem to figure is iCloud is draining there better life. This happened in beta 5 or 6 for me. I am not sure what they can do except an update to fix this random smattering of battery issues. I have clean installed and recover from back all show the same issues. i am starting to wonder if the IPSW got messed up during the download cause i have used it to install on all CDMA phones

zorinlynx
Oct 10, 2011, 09:15 PM
Do you guys with battery drain have Skype installed? A coworker had battery drain problems, and he said the phone was warm all the time. Uninstalling Skype fixed the problem.

He doesn't use Skype much so it wasn't a big loss to him, but you might want to consider trying this to at least see if it's the problem. GPS apps, media playing apps and VoIP apps are the only ones allowed by Apple to run in the background, so you should target those first.

mrockm01
Oct 10, 2011, 09:50 PM
Do you guys with battery drain have Skype installed? A coworker had battery drain problems, and he said the phone was warm all the time. Uninstalling Skype fixed the problem.

He doesn't use Skype much so it wasn't a big loss to him, but you might want to consider trying this to at least see if it's the problem. GPS apps, media playing apps and VoIP apps are the only ones allowed by Apple to run in the background, so you should target those first.

I have poor battery on the GM. Significantly worse than 4.3.5

And I have Skype on my phone, but logged out so that shouldn't effect battery life

shanmugam
Oct 10, 2011, 10:11 PM
I do see the battery life bit lower compared to the previous version.

I do not leave too many app open, not sure what is causing this battery life difference.

jauhari
Oct 11, 2011, 04:10 AM

I played multiple games (Words with Friends, World of Goo, Real Racing 2, Osmos etc...)
Streamed audio from rdio (while on wifi)
Made phone calls
Used twitter
iMessage
Took pictures

It's really awesome stats... can you share your screenshot on Setting > General > Usage with Battery Percentage On?

mkaen
Oct 11, 2011, 04:24 AM
They're not. They're just commenting that they like a clean slate. Simply saying that avoiding a restore from backup improves battery life doesn't make it true.

Justim
Oct 11, 2011, 04:27 AM
For me, it's been hit or miss with iPhone battery life and iOS 5. If it is draining the battery, I just DFU restore the phone and it usually behaves.

db1408
Oct 11, 2011, 05:56 AM
I found it drained fast on the 1.5h charge especially with high usage due to playing around with settings a features. When the 3h charge was done the battery was the same as the previous. Leaving apps open doesn't drain my battery, the only thing that does is the location features introduced. They show as purple compass, meaning they are active, such as Reminders.

jauhari
Oct 11, 2011, 06:57 AM
Battery life I'd say has been the same for me using my iPhone 4 for usage. However standby has improved massively.

I restored from backup.

I am agreed, Standby time has been improved but on usage have same result

roastspud
Oct 11, 2011, 07:14 AM
Best I have had is

USAGE - 7Hours, 54 Minutes
Standy 2 Days, 4 Hours

I charged at 2% :)

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/685/abzqnlmcaaakyqw.jpg/

Gdgtguru
Oct 11, 2011, 07:30 AM
Something is definitely running in the background or not working right in the GM (at least for some) that is absolutely killing battery life. Last night my phone was at approximately 70% battery, this morning it was at 5%! In beta 7 and all versions of 4.x, it would have dropped by no more than 5% overnight, so 65% is obviously not normal.

auero
Oct 11, 2011, 07:38 AM
Something is definitely running in the background or not working right in the GM (at least for some) that is absolutely killing battery life. Last night my phone was at approximately 70% battery, this morning it was at 5%! In beta 7 and all versions of 4.x, it would have dropped by no more than 5% overnight, so 65% is obviously not normal.

It's odd how not everyone is experiencing this. It seems hit or miss.

Gdgtguru
Oct 11, 2011, 07:49 AM
It's odd how not everyone is experiencing this. It seems hit or miss.

I know, that is what is strange about it. I am sure there is something common between all of the affected phones, I just don't know what. I was originally leaning towards an Exchange account being setup on my phone for work. It seemed that if I removed it, the battery life would return to normal. Also, if I set it to fetch only, it would return to normal. That worked fine for a couple of days, and now it is back to its normal battery draining self.

Hopefully the public release tomorrow will resolve it, otherwise I am going back to beta 7 until they figure it out.

bbplayer5
Oct 11, 2011, 07:52 AM
Why do you guys keep talking about leaving apps open? Once you leave an app, it goes into stasis.. not using battery. Something draining your battery would need to be a system service or something that is "allowed" to run in the background like pandora or GPS.

That being said, try reinstalling the GM from a DFU boot.

The Tos
Oct 11, 2011, 08:28 AM
i am also seeing the same issues as the op. I feel like every few days the battery life just goes right down. It seems to drop a % every 3-5 mins when just in standby. I have messed around with troubleshooting it and havent come up with anything yet. I also see sms issues when this is happening. Meaning i will receive a group of sms messages at once. I tried re-installing beta 7 on my phone and it told me it couldnt verify my device was registered as a dev. Which it is. I was able to put the GM back on fine. Do i have to re-install itunes 10.5 beta 7 to install ios5 beta 7? Very frustrating. Anyone have any advice? I have an iphone 4 GSM, running legit iOS 5 GM.

----------

Why do you guys keep talking about leaving apps open? Once you leave an app, it goes into stasis.. not using battery. Something draining your battery would need to be a system service or something that is "allowed" to run in the background like pandora or GPS.

That being said, try reinstalling the GM from a DFU boot.

I have reinstalled from a DFU boot, it works for a day or two then battery life drops off the table.

big samm
Oct 11, 2011, 08:36 AM
Im using ios 5 gm and for me the battery is no problem! People with problems should restore and see if there's any difference! Im not a dev by the way! Ios 5 rocks!

Gdgtguru
Oct 11, 2011, 08:48 AM
I found this on another forum. I checked what it says about the usage when Wifi is on and sure enough, my phone is doing the same thing this poster mentioned. Once I turned my Wifi off, the usage and standby are not the same which would definitely indicate the phone is doing something in the background while wifi is on that is killing the battery.

Curious and looking to see if anyone else is experiencing this. Perhaps you aren't aware. Take a look.

What I am experiencing is that the usage statistics are showing almost identical numbers for both standy by and usage. Here is the catch however...

When I turn off WiFi, all goes to normal. Usage time does not increase unless I am actually using it (like it should).

Has anyone else noticed this with the GM? Perhaps you are experiencing battery drain and can't locate the issue. Well, try this and give me some feedback.

I am 100% positive that it is Wifi giving the issue. With that being said, I have disabled and re-enabled everything in this iOS 5 that I can and have found that iCloud in the background is not doing it.

Any ideas on why having WiFi on and connected it would make the usage go up while in standby and therefore drain the battery. I have never had this issue.

By the way, I have tried setting up as new, I have also done it from a backup; there is no difference.

Give me some feedback. I would like to know if anyone has any ideas or if I am the only one that WiFi is affecting this way.

The Tos
Oct 11, 2011, 09:11 AM
I found this on another forum. I checked what it says about the usage when Wifi is on and sure enough, my phone is doing the same thing this poster mentioned. Once I turned my Wifi off, the usage and standby are not the same which would definitely indicate the phone is doing something in the background while wifi is on that is killing the battery.

Like i mentioned earlier, i am having the same problem. I am going to test the WIFI method now. I did notice that since i setup as a new phone, the "ask to join" networks was sent to us. Causing the spin wheel to always be on next to wifi when your under the wifi settings. Maybe it is always looking for a wifi network or trying to connect to networks with weak signals. I turned wifi off and am going to watch the battery now. I hope this fixes it.

Gdgtguru
Oct 11, 2011, 09:41 AM
Like i mentioned earlier, i am having the same problem. I am going to test the WIFI method now. I did notice that since i setup as a new phone, the "ask to join" networks was sent to us. Causing the spin wheel to always be on next to wifi when your under the wifi settings. Maybe it is always looking for a wifi network or trying to connect to networks with weak signals. I turned wifi off and am going to watch the battery now. I hope this fixes it.

Unfortunately it isn't looking good for me. While having wifi turned off seems to help with the incorrect usage stats, my battery is still draining by 1% every 10 minutes or so. The strange thing is that it didn't do it for a day or two, and now it is back to doing it again...very inconsistent.

snowmoon
Oct 11, 2011, 09:47 AM
3GS user here; I installed ios 5 GM and restored my backup. No solid "evidence" but it feels a lot quicker and battery life seems to hold a lot longer now.

Gdgtguru
Oct 11, 2011, 09:51 AM
In an effort to attempt to find a trend, could those that have or don't have the issue answer the below questions to see what my be different between those that have the issue and those that don't. My wife has an iPhone 4 that is now running the GM release and she does not have the issue. The only difference I can think of is that she was not running the betas prior to me putting the GM on her phone.

Thanks

Questions:

Do you have the battery drain issue?

What iPhone model?

Were you running a iOS Beta when you installed GM? If so, which beta?

Did you do a DFU restore, or Shift/Option restore in iTunes?

Did you set the phone up as new, or did you restore from backup?

Do you have an Exchange account setup (exclude Gmail)?

Is your wifi turned on?

The Tos
Oct 11, 2011, 09:57 AM
In an effort to attempt to find a trend, could those that have or don't have the issue answer the below questions to see what my be different between those that have the issue and those that don't. My wife has an iPhone 4 that is now running the GM release and she does not have the issue. The only difference I can think of is that she was not running the betas prior to me putting the GM on her phone.

Thanks

Questions:

What iPhone model?

Is your wifi turned on?

I have the battery drain issue.

iPhone 4 GSM

I went through all the betas in a row. Then to try and solve the problem, downgraded to 4.3.5 then reinstalled the GM. All of which set up as a new phone.

I did use the DFU restore

Setup as a new device

No exchange account

i had wifi on. I am now testing the battery with wifi off.

hope this helps.

The Phazer
Oct 11, 2011, 10:03 AM
Questions:

Yes, I think I've lost roughly a third of my battery life.

What iPhone model?

Launch day black iPhone 4 GSM.

No, installed from 4.3.5.

Shift/option restore in iTunes.

Restored from a backup. It's not plausible for me to lose the data I would otherwise.

No, though I do have Gmail set up.

Is your wifi turned on?

At night, but during the day (when the majority of the battery drain occurs) then no.

Performance on my phone is worse - I'm losing (at least) 5fps on Infinity Blade, it's become really quite jerky. Emptying out my multitasking tray doesn't help. I do have Skype installed but not logged on, so I can't see how this would do anything. My phone isn't jailbroken, nor upgraded from a jailbreak.

Also worth saying I don't have iCloud set up at all yet, nor have I set up any reminders to trigger location services.

Phazer

Gdgtguru
Oct 11, 2011, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the replies so far. I realized I didn't even answer my own questions, so here they are:

YES

What iPhone model?
Release day iPhone 4 GSM

Yes, beta 7. Installed just about all betas in order

Option Restore in iTunes

Restore from backup

Yes, work account

Is your wifi turned on?
Yes. Although currently off to see if it makes a difference.

adztaylor
Oct 11, 2011, 10:11 AM

Thanks

Questions:

What iPhone model?

Is your wifi turned on?

No battery drain issue

iPhone 4 GSM, bought August last year.

Nope installed from 4.3.5

Option restored from iTunes

Restored from backup

No exchange account

Wifi is turned on.

Gdgtguru
Oct 11, 2011, 10:18 AM
Here are some stats I just started collecting on my drainage. In between collection, I have not even touched the phone, so the usage incrementing is interesting. I realize it is supposed to go up during certain background functions, but I have nothing running.

Time Battery % Usage Standby
10:53 80 1:32 1:57
10:59 80 1:37 2:02
11:05 79 1:37 2:08
11:12 78 1:45 2:15

Gdgtguru
Oct 11, 2011, 10:49 AM
Here are some stats I just started collecting on my drainage. In between collection, I have not even touched the phone, so the usage incrementing is interesting. I realize it is supposed to go up during certain background functions, but I have nothing running.

Time Battery % Usage Standby
10:53 80 1:32 1:57
10:59 80 1:37 2:02
11:05 79 1:37 2:08
11:12 78 1:45 2:15

A couple of other items to note: I have locations services, wifi, and bluetooth all turned off and yet the problem appears to remain.

Based on the replies so far, the only two things that stand-out as being a potential source of the issue are an Exchange account being setup on affected phones and when the phone was purchased (and thereby when it was manufactured?).

diamond.g
Oct 11, 2011, 10:57 AM
Is anyone using iCloud?

The Tos
Oct 11, 2011, 11:00 AM
Is anyone using iCloud?

I do. I enjoy it.

diamond.g
Oct 11, 2011, 11:03 AM
I do. I enjoy it.

I haven't read much on it, but does the iCloud backup need to be connected to Wifi? It would seem that iCloud syncing could be using up battery.

leowyatt
Oct 11, 2011, 11:07 AM
Not sure if this has been mentioned but if you have location based services on check if you have Traffic enabled in the System Services menu. I had this turned on and noticed that the iPhone was constantly using GPS.

Gdgtguru
Oct 11, 2011, 11:08 AM
Is anyone using iCloud?

Not using it.

adztaylor
Oct 11, 2011, 11:13 AM
Not sure if this has been mentioned but if you have location based services on check if you have Traffic enabled in the System Services menu. I had this turned on and noticed that the iPhone was constantly using GPS.

I didn't know that was there, thanks for that. Interesting how they have the status bar icon turned off so had no idea when these services were being used.

diamond.g
Oct 11, 2011, 11:19 AM

Speaking of check the Time one too. My phone seemed to always poll for time via GPS...

saving107
Oct 11, 2011, 12:53 PM
It's really awesome stats... can you share your screenshot on Setting > General > Usage with Battery Percentage On?

I've been wanting to share a screenshot but I'm just waiting for my battery to run down to less than 5%

Currently I am at 71%

Usage: 2 hrs, 13 min
Standby: 18hrs, 16 min

http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/9081/img0009i.png

saving107
Oct 12, 2011, 12:51 AM
Since my last post this morning, here is my full usage from 100% down to 2%

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/539/img0021r.png

Gdgtguru
Oct 12, 2011, 06:20 AM
Since my last post this morning, here is my full usage from 100% down to 2%

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/539/img0021r.png

Could you please answer the below questions? I am still trying to determine the common thread with those that have the issue (I do too).

Questions:

What iPhone model?

Is your wifi turned on?

roastspud
Oct 12, 2011, 07:09 AM
Well I've gone from 2 days battery life to only 8 hours after reinstalling facebook..

saving107
Oct 12, 2011, 11:19 AM
@Gdgtguru

1. No battery drain issue, I was actually getting frustrated trying to drain my battery so that I can post this screenshot.

2. iPhone 4

4. I did not run the beta on my iPhone prior to the GM.

5. Option + Restore in iTunes

5. Set up as new (I always do for major releases).

6. I do have GMail setup on my iPhone.

7. My WiFi was on

odedia
Oct 12, 2011, 08:49 PM
I have the same issues as the original poster, on a 3GS.

Sanders0492
Oct 12, 2011, 09:32 PM
My battery life also go extremely horrible. Now I have to charge in the morning, later in the day, and a little at night to make sure I get through the night. Not cool.

ru4real
Oct 13, 2011, 09:56 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Not only am I having the battery drain issue, but my phone is also warm. I started deleting things and turning off options (no more iCloud, foursquare radar is off, etc) when I came across something interesting.

Under Settings > General > About > Diagnostics and Usage. I had already disabled sending reports to Apple, but I noticed the reports are still being gathered there, so I took a look (Diagnostics & Usage Data). According to the reports I see there, I've got crashes happeninga few times PER SECOND! Has anyone else checked this?

EDIT: Maybe mine was a different problem from everyone else. The crash reports said that MobilePhone.app was the problem, and sure enough I went to make a phone call and the app just kept crashing. Did a restart and now I can make calls again, my usage v. standby is back to normal, the phone has cooled down and the battery drain (so far) appears to have slowed.

myrtlebee
Oct 13, 2011, 10:14 AM
I'm surprised to read people having the exact opposite experience as me. Before iOS 5, I suspected something was up with my battery life. It barely lasted a day. With iOS 5, it's been lasting much longer. I'm on day two now and at 60%. At least for me, iOS 5 seems to have fixed my battery issues.

(I use a white iPhone 4 16GB bought in late July)

rockinrocker
Oct 13, 2011, 10:14 AM
Could you please answer the below questions?

Yes

What iPhone model?

Launch day 4, GSM

No

Shift/Option Restore

Restore from backup

No

Is your wifi turned on?

Yes, I'm going to try leaving it off today.

I have noticed that the drain seems worse if I leave the screen on compared to when I did the same thing on 4.x.

ladytonya
Oct 13, 2011, 10:47 AM
I'm having the same problem. I upgraded yesterday. I absolutely LOVE the new features in iOS5 but my battery life is terrible! I unplugged it around 9 am at 100% and it's already at 57% at 11:35 am. I usually plug it in around 4 pm so I leave the office at 100%, but at the rate it's going today I don't think I will make it to 4 pm.

I am not running Bluetooth but am running WiFi and location based services. I run these all the time, though, so they shouldn't make a difference between what it was before and what it is now. What am I not seeing? Also, I've thought about doing a restore to new but then what? If I restore to new, am I left to yet again reorganize all my apps and lose my messages, etc.? I just haven't done this enough to really know what I am doing.

Crispy Duck
Oct 13, 2011, 11:08 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Not only am I having the battery drain issue, but my phone is also warm. I started deleting things and turning off options (no more iCloud, foursquare radar is off, etc) when I came across something interesting.

Under Settings > General > About > Diagnostics and Usage. I had already disabled sending reports to Apple, but I noticed the reports are still being gathered there, so I took a look (Diagnostics & Usage Data). According to the reports I see there, I've got crashes happeninga few times PER SECOND! Has anyone else checked this?

EDIT: Maybe mine was a different problem from everyone else. The crash reports said that MobilePhone.app was the problem, and sure enough I went to make a phone call and the app just kept crashing. Did a restart and now I can make calls again, my usage v. standby is back to normal, the phone has cooled down and the battery drain (so far) appears to have slowed.

I posted in another thread about terrible battery life today since installing iOS5 last night.
Having read your post I checked my phone app and sure enough it won't open and keeps crashing... BUT have done a soft reboot and a hard reboot and this has not fixed the phone app or the phone running hot and battery drain issue...

Going to do a full restore tonight but this thread has me worried that we might have goosed iPhones now!? :o(

cruzer-u3
Nov 26, 2011, 10:44 AM
this is my result
iphone 4
https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=c6ada9eef2&view=att&th=133e0c05682af607&attid=0.1&disp=inline&zw