Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arkangil

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2009
I am having an issue with my network, I was hoping someone could help me out.

I just bought a Denon 2112CI receiver. My wireless network is run by a last generation 1gig Time Capsule upstairs. Because I didn't want to run a cat cable to the basement, where my Denon is, I bought a refurb Airport Express, plugged it into the basement, "extended" my network, and then used a cat cable to plug from the Airport Express into the Denon.

With the Denon's on TV menu, it says it has an IP address, however I cannot access it. When I ping from my macbook, it doesn't find it. Also, my Denon app on my iPhone does not find it.

I have no idea how to begin trouble shooting a network problem like this. Any advice would be much appreciated. The Denon supports Airplay, and the iPhone app, so I would really like to get it network connected, preferably without running a cat from upstairs to the basement!

Thanks all.

Aragornii

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Sort of tangetial to your question, but have you tried assigning the Denon a fixed IP address from your router? That's what I do for mine, which makes it much easier to access via a browser or the Denon iPhone remote app.

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
You'll want to use the Airport utility to check the signal strength between the Time Capsule and the Airport Extreme. In my application, I required two of the current generation Airport Extremes to bridge the distances since the Express didn't have the power to do it.

If you have sufficient signal strength and you are seeing a data rate that is, say above 10-20, I'd double check the Airport Express is set to extend the existing network.

After you verify all the above, I'd grab a laptop and see if you can use the ethernet from the Airport Express to get on your network. Of course, make sure you turn off your wifi on the laptop. If you can browse successfully using the ethernet that would indicate the network is working properly and the issue is with the Denon somehow. Oh, you might try the Airport Express in two locations, close to your Time Capsule and installed near the Denon. If it works in the closer location and not the farther one you've likely got a range\signal issue.

Range issues can be fixed by replacing the Airport Express with an Extreme. Or, your best option would be to suck it up and run an ethernet cable from your Time Capsule down to your Denon. After all, the need for a fast, reliable connection at your receiver will only increase. My theater requires a much more robust connection to the network now than it did when I installed it in 2005.

Arkangil

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2009
For some reason, it wasn't working when I had the Airport Express extending my network. But since I didn't really need that, since I was hardwiring the receiver, I just had the Airport Express join the network, and then used ethernet to connect the receiver. It worked.

Thanks for the help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.