PDA

View Full Version : Apple notices CNBC Mac OS X Tiger coverage

MacBytes
May 4, 2005, 11:46 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Mac OS X
Link: Apple notices CNBC Mac OS X Tiger coverage (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050505004629)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

dornoforpyros
May 4, 2005, 11:59 PM
I know this has nothing to do with the story but I found the way the reporter said "I----pod" quite annoying. Kinda like your parents busting you for smoking "the pot" :rolleyes:

mkrishnan
May 5, 2005, 12:04 AM
Kinda like your parents busting you for smoking "the pot" :rolleyes:

Or excusing yourself because "wifey won't let me?" :D

OhEsTen
May 5, 2005, 12:52 AM
But then again they did end the report with the tired old 3% market share unworth any attention to hackers, spammers and virus writers.

I did find their microsoft/Apple analogies to be quite amusing though.

puckhead193
May 5, 2005, 12:54 AM
i saw it, i like how they segmented from Longhorn not being released to Tiger :D

rikers_mailbox
May 5, 2005, 01:06 AM
**happy to have AAPL. :D

Eidorian
May 5, 2005, 01:26 AM
I know this has nothing to do with the story but I found the way the reporter said "I----pod" quite annoying. Kinda like your parents busting you for smoking "the pot" :rolleyes:I didn't find any problems at all. I even rewound several times just to make sure. *prays for more Apple computer advertising*

xtbfx
May 5, 2005, 06:52 AM
But then again they did end the report with the tired old 3% market share unworth any attention to hackers, spammers and virus writers.

Yes, I actually groaned out loud when he said that. Once again, no one actually knows how much market share Windows or Linux or Apple has. Those numbers change so much depending on the journalist.

Anyway, I did like the analogy of Longhorn to a street that's always under construction. That was great.

nrd
May 5, 2005, 07:06 AM
Yes, I actually groaned out loud when he said that. Once again, no one actually knows how much market share Windows or Linux or Apple has. Those numbers change so much depending on the journalist.

Market share is the amount of computers sold in a given timeframe. Actual users is a completely different value. Apple users tend to hold onto their computers longer than Windows users, creating a disparity in market share and actual user base.

Also, the claim that hackers don't target Macs because of the relatively small user base is just wrong. They target Windows because it's so buggy and insecure. These are the machines that sit online all day with a broadband connection and no security. Macs and Linux machines may do the same, but because they are inherently more secure (you run as a user, not root, while in the Windows world almost everyone is Administrator) they're not worth the trouble.

Look at it this way - if you wanted to steal a car, would you steal the mid-range ford or the high-end import? Mac and Linux PCs offer more in their means to spoof packets and attack websites, but because the high-end import has unpickable locks and an alarm, they steal the mid-range. Even though they can do less (because of a lack of complete IP implementation) for the hacker, the hackers go after Windows because it's easier and they can get more of them with less effort.

iGary
May 5, 2005, 08:19 AM
They TRASHED Microsoft in that report.

BMW's and Acura's (Tiger)

Slow clunky bulldozers. (Windows)

WOW :eek:

slb
May 5, 2005, 12:15 PM
Any link to a downloadable .mov so I can watch it when I get home from work?

PlaceofDis
May 5, 2005, 12:23 PM
good report until the marketshare was brought up, why not mention the installed home user base instead? the numbers are a bit more comparable there

wdlove
May 5, 2005, 03:55 PM
The coverage did mention that this was a good chance for Apple to attract more switchers. Over all a good review.

Lacero
May 5, 2005, 03:57 PM
Was he paid $15,000?

fredwick
May 5, 2005, 05:50 PM
Any link to a downloadable .mov so I can watch it when I get home from work?
apple.com front page