Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ddeadserious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
Plymouth, MI
I'm the designer/artist at this screenprinting shop.

I got hired in and we had all PC's here. Shortly after being hired, the boss bought a nice iMac for me to do art on.

Everything works great except I can't find any RIP software for Mac that's as feature-rich as Wasatch SoftRIP that we use on our PC. As it stands right now, I do all the design work on the Mac, and then have to close all the files, and reopen them on the PC to RIP the files to the printer(Epson 4880) to output the films.

I've tried AccuRIP, but it doesn't have a layout section, which is absolutely crucial for us to conserve film and work effectively.

I'm looking for a program that will allow me to print to "Program name", when I can open the file, crop it appropriately with the proper LPI and lay out all the files on one "roll" before I send it to the printer.

Any ideas are appreciated.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Well, there is PowerRIP. Having said that, it is important to realize that manufacturers often closely mate their hardware to a particular RIP. Make sure that your screen printer is compatible with whichever RIP you have under consideration.

ddeadserious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
Plymouth, MI
Well, there is PowerRIP. Having said that, it is important to realize that manufacturers often closely mate their hardware to a particular RIP. Make sure that your screen printer is compatible with whichever RIP you have under consideration.

I tried PowerRIP, but it appears to be a PPC application, and thus not compatible with Lion. :(

Running an Epson 4880 printer, which seems to be generally supported in most of the programs I've looked at.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
I tried PowerRIP, but it appears to be a PPC application, and thus not compatible with Lion. :(

Running an Epson 4880 printer, which seems to be generally supported in most of the programs I've looked at.
PrintFab supports your printer with color profiles for various media. Quad Tone RIP supports the printer, but it may be a little down-market for you. ImageNest RIP supports all MacOS X-compatible printers which leads me to suspect that it does not add value to the standard drivers for installed printers. ColorBurst® has several RIPs, supports your printer, and supports several media, including, canvas, paper, and fabric. It is the high-priced spread among MacOS X RIPs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.