Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunshark

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2010
Found this in the thread about the Graft Concepts case which I also like quite a bit. Love the element case but sold it b/c of signal issues. So I will probably not buy this kickstarter project until I read a ton of reviews...

But if you love industrial design, this is gorgeous:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1791911961/i-case-iphone-4s-and-iphone-4-bumper-case

EDIT (ON JAN 18, 2012):Ok, I feel compelled to edit this post after reading through the kickstarter comments. It's quite startling to see how rude the makers of this product are. Every question dealing with signal loss is deflected. I would think that someone buying an aluminum case would expect some signal loss, but there's no excuse for their actions. Also, this blog post is going around on a bunch of tech blogs.
http://a.wholelottanothing.org/2012...rst-project-i-ever-funded-on-kickstarter.html
I feel a little responsible since I posted one of the first threads about it. Apologies. Full disclosure - I didn't contribute to the funding, I ended up with a Graft Concepts case which I'm quite happy with even though the power button fell off.

Last edited:

catalyst6

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2007
Berlin
Absolutely gorgeous case. Makes the Element line look goofy in my opinion.

I'd totally be down to spend $65 on this, but I don't like waiting so long for it possibly not even pan out :(

bunshark

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2010
My only question is if this will affect the signal in anyway

Yup. I have the same question too otherwise I'd order it. Problem is with the new antennae in the 4S, who knows how well any of the aluminum cases work now. Looks like I'm going to parse through a lot more reviews after a few months. One thing - the look is similar to the E13tron case so if signal affects the E13tron case, it probably affects this case too.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
It is very nice I just wish there was a backplate, I am all for going mostly nude on the my phone, just that it would be best to cover the back and the sides.

lehman310

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2009
I sent the guy an email for more information on the case. I was told that there is padding between the aluminum and the phone so there shouldn't be any scratches caused by the case. I also sent a response asking about the reception with the case on and he simply sent me a link to an article on the iPhone 4s's improved antenna. It seems they are trying to hide something.

jcmeyer5

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2008
I sent the guy an email for more information on the case. I was told that there is padding between the aluminum and the phone so there shouldn't be any scratches caused by the case. I also sent a response asking about the reception with the case on and he simply sent me a link to an article on the iPhone 4s's improved antenna. It seems they are trying to hide something.

Who is hiding something? Nobody knows how this thing will interact with a 4S. Nobody has one yet.

bobpensik

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2003
Calgary, AB
I asked them how they have gone about mitigating the reception issue present in most aluminum cases as well and this was his response...

"Just by adding some padding. Everyone has the same problem and every case could have reception issues. Even if you don't have a case there can be performance issues."

That seems to tell me that they haven't really designed the case with reception in mind, so I would wager it would probably be an issue

pourme

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2009
North Carolina
Don't think so

I want to be able to remove my case easliy...To clean accumulated dust and grime...just to handle nakked iphone at home....Signal issues and meatal aganist metal are just more negitives I don't want to deal with!...Remove screws to do so is a deal breaker for me. Still haven't seen anything that comes even close to Graft Concepts Leverage Case yet!:apple:

bunshark

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2010
I want to be able to remove my case easliy...To clean accumulated dust and grime...just to handle nakked iphone at home....Signal issues and meatal aganist metal are just more negitives I don't want to deal with!...Remove screws to do so is a deal breaker for me. Still haven't seen anything that comes even close to Graft Concepts Leverage Case yet!:apple:

Haha... we must have the same taste. I just ordered two of the Graft cases yesterday. BUT, and I don't see how this is possible, if the i+Case doesn't have reception issues, I'd still buy it since it's so well designed.

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
This case is missing something - the front glass is completely exposed. If you drop it face down you're screwed.

yourtoys7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2007
This case looks like it was designed by apple :)
I'll use BSE skin for now, but once this case is out, that's where my $ will go, can't wait...

h1kar1

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2007
Los angeles
I thought about this for a min after watching the video.

But did not see anything on how they keep the antenna from touching the aluminum. Which is a big factor in aluminum cases...

I will wait until they are out and people post reception reviews.

zp3dd4

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2009
from the pictures it looks like the back is slightly elevated by each corner. No protection on front. I was looking for a case that is flush with the screen as I really disliked the bump on the bumper..

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
This looks pretty sweet. However my money is on this thing messing up reception.

302615_253378854708862_228743520505729_754161_633788744_n.jpg

bunshark

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2010
These guys are 52% funded as of today. I'd love to see them succeed, if not for the design aspect alone. Apparently the death grip is gone with the 4s, maybe this case won't affect signal that much? Here's to hoping...

yourtoys7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2007
I'm sure the funding will be covered, I just hope it wont mess up the signal as this is by far the best I've seen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.