PDA

View Full Version : MBA Noise - Idl low CPU

bp1000
Oct 10, 2011, 04:55 PM
Can you hear your MBA from arms length when idle in a quiet environment if you listen out for it?

I recently swapped mine because my first one was faulty. I don't remember hearing it as much as i do this one.

All it sounds like is a constant, typical fan noise, faint but can be heard if listening out for it. Not sure if i'm just tuned in now.

Depends if you guys can hear it.

Eidorian
Oct 10, 2011, 04:57 PM
The fan is on even at idle.

bp1000
Oct 10, 2011, 05:01 PM
The fan is on even at idle.

Yes i understad the fan runs at 2k RPM or there abouts i believe

It's just i can't remember it being so audible on my first unit. You do have to listen out for it tho.

Eidorian
Oct 10, 2011, 05:07 PM
Yes i understad the fan runs at 2k RPM or there abouts i believe

It's just i can't remember it being so audible on my first unit. You do have to listen out for it tho.My original MacBook fan was much more audible than its replacement. I guess it depends on your luck and the brand that was installed.

warfed
Oct 10, 2011, 05:43 PM
Yeah, I can hear mine. On top of that it's not a typical fan noise (to me anyway) there is an added "buzzing" sound. I guess sounds like a really small fan.

redache
Oct 10, 2011, 06:25 PM
You could try resetting the SMC to see if that stops it, I had some fan noise issues with my Air but resetting the SMC fixed it (I guess it had a bad fan profile). Now the fan comes on at speed when it should rather than at random times :).

Apples SMC Reset Guide (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964) should help you.

bp1000
Oct 11, 2011, 07:23 PM
I tried the SMC reset but it didn't change anything

I'm pretty sure that i have a noisy/faulty fan.

If i hold the MBA's left side up to my ear, i can clearly distinguish between the whoosh of the fan and this high pitched sound

I installed fan control 1.2 and i increased the speed to 3500rpm - as the fan increased the pitch of this noise also increased suggesting that it's the fan that is noisy, perhaps a loose bearing maybe... i dont know how these things work these days and would the fan create a high pitched noise itself..... ?

One thing is for sure, i can defiantly distinguish between the normal fan sound pushing air and this high pitched noise.

My only worry is if it's the power supply unit which can sometimes emit a high pitched noise and the faster airflow just distorts the pitch... i'm not sure if that is possible?

calvol
Oct 11, 2011, 09:17 PM
The fan probably has a bad sleeve, off-balance, or the shroud is touching the blades. See if the Genius Bar will replace it.

warfed
Oct 11, 2011, 10:42 PM
I tried the SMC reset but it didn't change anything

I'm pretty sure that i have a noisy/faulty fan.

If i hold the MBA's left side up to my ear, i can clearly distinguish between the whoosh of the fan and this high pitched sound

I noticed the exact same thing, but I'm pretty sure it's just the way fan sounds. There is a little electric motor running the fan, and that's what you're hearing.

When I first noticed it, it drove me nuts. But then I checked all my electronics (OCD much?)... other laptops, ps3, pvr, etc. everything that had a fan sounded very similar when putting your ears close.

Nioxic
Oct 11, 2011, 11:24 PM
my fan runs 2000 rpm atm.

35 degrees C.

i can't hear it at all.. and its the distance of 1 foot from my face right now