PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking??

Burch
Oct 10, 2011, 06:12 PM
Hi. I was wondering if you are able to overclock the Macbook Air... So... Can someone answer this question?

KPOM
Oct 10, 2011, 06:25 PM
No. The Sandy Bridge chips are different from the Core 2 Duo in that it isn't possible to undervolt, or change the CPU clock multiplier from the fixed ratios programmed in. However, the chips do incorporate "turbo boost" which is a little bit like automatic overclocking. For instance, the 1.8GHz i7 can actually run at 2.6GHz with both cores running, or at 2.9GHz when just one core is needed.

MarkMS
Oct 10, 2011, 06:26 PM
It is possible depending on which MBA you're talking about. There are a few MacRumors' members that have OC'd their older MacBook Airs. I'm not sure which MacBook Air you're talking about, but if you do a quick search here or on Google you will see a bunch of threads.

While it is possible with older Airs, in my humble opinion, I wouldn't do it. The MBA is already pushing it's limits with the tiny form factor. Heat has been an issue with the MBA and adding more heat with an OC'd CPU/GPU will lead to some problems in the long run. I'd opt for the MacBook Pro if possible.

EDIT: Realized you're most likely talking about the 2011 MBA and what KPOM said is true. It's not really possible with the new MBAs and they already employ Turbo Boost. I still stand by my opinion that you should jump to the MacBook Pro if you need more power.