Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
£17.31!!!! Thats the full Professional Edition too!

Let me elaborate. I work in the NHS (National Health Service for those not in the UK) and have been using my PB(s) for work, both in the office and at home, since I switched in November. My copy of Office was from a friend who had recently gone travelling and had leant it too me, but as they had returned two weeks ago, its obviously has gone back to its owner.

As I point blank refuse to have illegal software on my Mac (wierd that, didn't have a problem with it when I was a wintel user) I've been without Office for the last two weeks, and have been forced into using my work Dell (a newer Optiplex which takes on average 3 attempts to boot correctly) and have been hating every minute of it.

Turns out one of the consultants in my unit (Radiology) is a Mac fan too, and asked me if I knew the Trust was part of the Microsoft Home Office User program. I didn't have a clue to he walked me through it....

Basically a lot of companies are signed up to this deal with Microsoft so their staff can get a subsidised full copy of the Office Suite - either for Mac or Windows. Now the great thing is the subsidy is huge. In the Apple Store UK, the professional edition of Office 2004 is £449, and the subsidised version only £17.31 - shipped & with VAT! True, you don't get the box, but at that price who cares!

If I hadn't been told about it I would have bought the cheapest version (student & teacher) of Office. I'm just wondering how many other companies out there are signed up to it, and how many of us actually know about it - worth looking into if you're planning on getting MS Office 2004!

Is there anyone else who has taken advantage of this? I've now told every Mac user in the hospital!

Oh, and if the mods think this should be in the software section rather than buying advice, feel free to move!

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
I just bought Office 2004 for $19.99 at work through the home use program (HUP from Microsoft).

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I got Office 2003 for Windows via Home Use. My company doesn't have a deal with MS for Mac software. Grr.

Edit: Oh hell, they changed it! Woo hoo!!!

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
DavidLeblond said:
I got Office 2003 for Windows via Home Use. My company doesn't have a deal with MS for Mac software. Grr.

Edit: Oh hell, they changed it! Woo hoo!!!

Hehe, Nice! Shame my Trust doesn't do Mac software beyond Office.... would have loved to get Tiger on the cheap!

SeRgIo_42

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2004
At Univ of South Florida...Office = 7 bucks.

Even the expensive MS Dev costs only 9 Dollars.

That's the only way to get people using Micro$oft products...by their pockets !

tangerineyum

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2005
Ontario, CA
My school districty used to offer MS office 2001 for free. But then the district made the change to use Dulls and has since removed all their mac software from the warehouse. So sad...

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
Piarco75
Where did you actually go to get this deal? I work for a local authority (in the UK) and I can't find out any info on this topic. Did you buy through the on-line Apple Store?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.